NYMC Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
x

Members don't see this ad.

Casanova70 - I got to go w/ MDRapper, UIC. Chicago is a GREAT GREAT place! And such a good bargain too. Just ask yourself this. If you go to UIC, do you think you will ever look back? If not, then take it!

casanova70, BTW, how did you pull the extra money from the dean? I mean, you already withdrew and everything! Did you have a 40 mcat or something? Tell me how you did it so I can get some extra money from schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah man, all I did was wrote them an email telling them I was withdrawing, and that financially it was better for me to go to NYMC, and they said that in that case waiving the out-of-state tuition wouldn't be a problem. I've written back asking him to clarify, so we'll see what he says.

casanova70 said:
Nah man, all I did was wrote them an email telling them I was withdrawing, and that financially it was better for me to go to NYMC, and they said that in that case waiving the out-of-state tuition wouldn't be a problem. I've written back asking him to clarify, so we'll see what he says.

That is beyond SWEET! I'm still really struggling w/ the NYMC decision. At first I was going to reject, but now I see that these NYMC kids are really nice.

Question: Why does NYMC attract so many California students? If I go I can almost gaurentee i will be the only ohio girl there!

dobs -

You should come! I doubt you'll be the only Ohio girl, but even if you are that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing! I'm from CA, and I don't really know why there are so many kids from CA there. I think it has to do partly with the match list (matched well to a lot of good CA schools/hospitals), NYMC having goodluck with "CA students" in the past, and NYC being similar to other big cities in CA like SF and LA. Regardless, I'm really looking forward to getting started and meeting everyone!

Hey does anyone know more about how you are introduced to working w/ patients initially? Our tour got cut short so I missed out on it : (

In most of the ohio schools I interviewed at the school has anywhere from 15-30 "exam rooms" with video. You swipe your ID, enter the room and the camera starts recording your exam w/ the standardized patient. This helps you fix your mistakes b/c you get to watch them later. The footage is usually put on a CD for you or on the web. It was hard for me to gague the technology of NYMC. You start patient care in the first semester like this, not shadowing/observing.

Plus, are the exams @ NYMC on the computer or paper/pencil? Most places I know are at/going to the computer format which helps for the boards, and you only get the same time per question as the boards.

At some of the schools I've interviewed at, especially U cincinnati, they have GREAT teaching labs like the SimMan, I don't know if you are familiar w/ that. You can practice starting lines, drawing blood, intubating, etc before you try it on a real patient. The robot can tell you what you are doing wrong, etc. All this is done in years 1 and 2. Any idea what NYMC does?

bbtbay said:
I thought it was 6 per cadaver. Regardless, I have talked to some students and they had only good things to say about the Gross Anatomy component of the first year curriculum. They said the professor did a great job of incorporating the systems and outlining each of their clinical siginificance.

8. You work in groups of 4, each group assigned to one side of the body.

Anatomy was a good experience. However, you guys will really appreciate the pathology preparation in your second year.

Also, don't listen to people who tell you to leave your car at home. Unless you enjoy waiting hours for the bus, or nagging other people for rides, you WILL miss having your car. Contrarary to popular belief, you can even bring your car to manhattan for your 3rd/4th years.

dobs737 said:
Hey does anyone know more about how you are introduced to working w/ patients initially? Our tour got cut short so I missed out on it : (

In most of the ohio schools I interviewed at the school has anywhere from 15-30 "exam rooms" with video. You swipe your ID, enter the room and the camera starts recording your exam w/ the standardized patient. This helps you fix your mistakes b/c you get to watch them later. The footage is usually put on a CD for you or on the web. It was hard for me to gague the technology of NYMC. You start patient care in the first semester like this, not shadowing/observing.

1st year: you are assigned to a preceptor in the community. There, you get to learn to take a good history. You may even get hands-on experience, depending on your M.D.
2nd year: You are also assigned to a preceptor (often at a hospital) where you get to practice taking histories and performing complete physicals. You also get to practice writing up your sessions, as well as presenting them orally. You will also learn how to perform GYN/GU exams.
At the end of the year, you will have a taped, standardized patient exam where you will be evaluated on your ability to do a complete Hx/PE

Plus, are the exams @ NYMC on the computer or paper/pencil? Most places I know are at/going to the computer format which helps for the boards, and you only get the same time per question as the boards.

Our exams are paper/pencil. Miniboards are also paper/pencil

At some of the schools I've interviewed at, especially U cincinnati, they have GREAT teaching labs like the SimMan, I don't know if you are familiar w/ that. You can practice starting lines, drawing blood, intubating, etc before you try it on a real patient. The robot can tell you what you are doing wrong, etc. All this is done in years 1 and 2. Any idea what NYMC does?

We do phlebotomy labs before the start of 3rd year

What is the word on housing anyone? Do we initiate the procedure or do we wait for NYMC to send us applications?? ThankS!!

yeah-also curious about housing here. I would rather not live in dorms if I could find a studio apt around white plains/yonkers/anywhere within 15min drive... Any current students with input? I wouldn't want to pay more than 1k for a studio... after this is all said and done, I think I'll have little choice but to go into derm and invent the new proactive in order to make ends meet.

peace,
bifffffrrrrrrrr

Biffer said:
yeah-also curious about housing here. I would rather not live in dorms if I could find a studio apt around white plains/yonkers/anywhere within 15min drive... Any current students with input? I wouldn't want to pay more than 1k for a studio... after this is all said and done, I think I'll have little choice but to go into derm and invent the new proactive in order to make ends meet.

peace,
bifffffrrrrrrrr

for-1.2k it is doable. Start searching now, before everyone else starts the same search. Also, check to see if you already have access to your nymc email - many students send out a head-up to others when they move out of their apartments.

how do you get at your nymc email? I haven't received anything else from the admission dept regarding that.

i just got an email today saying that they'd recieved my deposit, and more things are coming in the mail.

idq1i -- any idea on when they let you move into the dorms?

Members don't see this ad :)
from what student housing has told me, they wait to get a list of people who've made deposits from admissions, and then send housing info out to those people after they have the list.

ruwan said:
how do you get at your nymc email? I haven't received anything else from the admission dept regarding that.

i just got an email today saying that they'd recieved my deposit, and more things are coming in the mail.

idq1i -- any idea on when they let you move into the dorms?

iirc, you can log on @ isweb.nymc.edu to validate your account
firstname_lastname = login, ssn = password
They may not have created an account for you just yet. If so, you could contact them:
!!! For problems with e-mail, remote access, LAN, or
employee terminals, contact the Help Desk at 914-594-4582
or E-Mail them at [email protected].

Move-in is generally on the weekend before orientation - most likely 6th/7th of august. I don't know all the details - I have lived in NYC all these years. Btw, the commute to school from the city is quite doable (by car, only)

idq1i- you've lived in NYC since 1st year? How'd you manage parking down there? Also, how long was the commute?

Would you do it again or choose to live in the dorms, they are after all, right there...

Thanks!

rudi said:
idq1i- you've lived in NYC since 1st year? How'd you manage parking down there? Also, how long was the commute?

Would you do it again or choose to live in the dorms, they are after all, right there...

Thanks!

I park in a garage (~250/month). Street parking is possible if you live in northtern manhattan (me) or the bronx (tons of street parking). However, I chose to pay the $ rather than having to spend time cruising the streets for parking.

If I had to do it over again, I'd still live in NYC. There is nothing wrong with the dorms - it was simply a matter of personal preference. How comfortable are you living with 3 strangers for a whole year?
Dorm pros: (relatively) cheap, can start strong friendships, class/library right across the street
Dorm cons: 3 strangers (at least for a while), you are living in the middle of nowhere (Valhalla :sleep: )
NYC pros: You are in NYC, you get to laugh at your classmates as they scramble to rent apartments for their 3rd/4th years
NYC cons: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Commute: Morning = 30 minutes if keeping up with traffic, 20 minutes if making the traffic keep up with you(it helps to have your military ID handy :cool: )

afternoon: 30 minutes if I pay the toll (~$2), 50 min if I avoid the toll road

Has anyone gotten housing information yet???

Anyone considering doing the Md/MPH that starts in the summer? Does anyone know the actual day its supposed to start, please let me know, thanks

boyz of 4d said:
Anyone considering doing the Md/MPH that starts in the summer? Does anyone know the actual day its supposed to start, please let me know, thanks

I was considering it boyz of 4d. It seems like we have until August 1st to apply. I was interested in doing a MPH in emergency medicine. Not sure what kind of classes I would take for it though. It seemed to be hot poshly put together. The classes for MPH are at night and I think it starts in September? Not too sure. I would look at the website and try calling.

It seems really easy to get into the MPH program. Only a couple years old. I'm still on the fences to doing it though. The testing at NYMC is already hard as it is.

Freakingzooming said:
I was considering it boyz of 4d. It seems like we have until August 1st to apply. I was interested in doing a MPH in emergency medicine. Not sure what kind of classes I would take for it though. It seemed to be hot poshly put together. The classes for MPH are at night and I think it starts in September? Not too sure. I would look at the website and try calling.

It seems really easy to get into the MPH program. Only a couple years old. I'm still on the fences to doing it though. The testing at NYMC is already hard as it is.

i got a brochure & letter in the mail regarding the mph program-- i think summer classes for the mph degree start june 6th, or something ridiculously soon. you can knock out 12 hrs from the 40+ hr requirement. otherwise, you can declare the md/mph dual degree once you start school. like freakingzooming said earlier, the program should be available for anyone who wants to participate, and the cost is around $7000. when i get back home, i'll post the specifics.

later,
marie

EDIT-- ok, here are the details from the letter and brochure
summer term: june 6-july 27, total 12 hrs credit

class schedule: 4:30pm-6:50pm, 7pm-9:20pm, mon-thurs. (fall, spring, and summer sessions)

MPH degree: 45 credits, requires core curriculum of 6 courses plus a thesis (21 credits), $7500

optional concentration: for additional 24 credits in
* behavioral sciences and health promotion
* biostatistics
* disability and human dvelopment
* environmental health science
* epidemiology
* general public health
* health informatics
* health policy and management
* international health
* maternal and child health

NOTE: there's also the option of obtaining a certificate (18 credits), rather than an mph.

bbtbay said:
Has anyone gotten housing information yet???

bbtbay, you can download and print out the housing forms from nymc's website. if you've already been accepted, you can go ahead and fill them out and send in your housing deposit during may/june.

Vitamin_Ng said:
bbtbay, you can download and print out the housing forms from nymc's website. if you've already been accepted, you can go ahead and fill them out and send in your housing deposit during may/june.

I asked housing if I could do this, but they said no, I have to wait for them to send me a packet. Where did you hear this?

Vitamin_Ng said:
class schedule: 4:30pm-6:50pm, 7pm-9:20pm, mon-thurs. (fall, spring, and summer sessions)

that sounds brutal. what's the benefit of getting an MPH?

ruwan said:
I asked housing if I could do this, but they said no, I have to wait for them to send me a packet. Where did you hear this?

strange. well, i actually deferred a year, so i didn't have my original housing forms. the first time, i actually sent my forms in too early (the housing dep't was still processing apps from current students), and candy hack (the director), returned my deposit and app and e-mailed me, saying to send them again in late may/june.

ruwan said:
that sounds brutal. what's the benefit of getting an MPH?

well, i'm guessing that the curriculum isn't designed so that you're booked solid four nights a week. perhaps the classes are just offered during the afternoon or evening sessions, and you can choose the ones that best fit your interests and schedule.

Hi guys! I am thinking of accepting my nymc acceptance... i was wondering if anyone would be willing to share what it was about nymc that helped them make a definitive decision on the school? Was anyone else wavering between two schools?

thanks guys.... and i may very well see you all in august!

nycmed8 said:
Hi guys! I am thinking of accepting my nymc acceptance... i was wondering if anyone would be willing to share what it was about nymc that helped them make a definitive decision on the school? Was anyone else wavering between two schools?

thanks guys.... and i may very well see you all in august!

I just pm'ed you...

I'm in the same boat - deciding btwn NYMC and another school...its a difficult decision and I keep changing my decision...

dobs737 said:
I'm in the same boat - deciding btwn NYMC and another school...its a difficult decision and I keep changing my decision...

I just pm'ed you...

for ruwan and anyone else who's been wondering, here's the final word on the housing apps:

holly baker from the student housing office said that basically, they're waiting for the list of admitted students from the admissions office who have submitted their deposits. then they'll send out the "official" housing apps the 1st or 2nd week of june. so even if you've been accepted, whether you mailed your deposit last week or last year, just sit tight-- if you jump the gun, your app will be returned to you. (sorry for the bad info earlier-- in her e-mail to me last month, the housing director didn't specifically tell me to wait until after the "official apps came in.)

Vitamin_Ng said:
for ruwan and anyone else who's been wondering, here's the final word on the housing apps:

holly baker from the student housing office said that basically, they're waiting for the list of admitted students from the admissions office who have submitted their deposits. then they'll send out the "official" housing apps the 1st or 2nd week of june. so even if you've been accepted, whether you mailed your deposit last week or last year, just sit tight-- if you jump the gun, your app will be returned to you. (sorry for the bad info earlier-- in her e-mail to me last month, the housing director didn't specifically tell me to wait until after the "official apps came in.)

thanks for the info! the waiting sucks. at least its better than waiting for admissions... almost there guys.

so this might be the height of dorkiness, but...

are any of you guys on friendster? i'm curious to know who our classmates will be...might as well start the networking now! ;)

you can find my profile by using the e-mail search: [email protected]

Marie- haha. I use friendster and just sent you a request to add you to my buddy list. I'm the one with the funny picture. (no that is not me!)

harharhar-- phew...

yeah, i was thinking to myself, "this jesson kid seems kind of sketchy...no real info, but he's got a pic of a couple banging away in a car..."

i like that guy's expression. It's classic- holy snikes what is going on! Kudos for David Sedaris. I've read every book he's written, even the short stories/scripts. He's on NPR sometimes in Chicago.

Anyone here use thefacebook.com?

Just wanted to say that I got my scholarship today ($20k :) ) . I sent in financial aid stuff 2 weeks ago...so they have a fast turnaround.

patrickstarfish-

Did you get your scholarship after you turned in your $100 deposit? Are you going to keep it?? Congrats!

bbtbay said:
patrickstarfish-

Did you get your scholarship after you turned in your $100 deposit? Are you going to keep it?? Congrats!
Yeah, i turned in the deposit may 16 (last minute decision) and turned in fa i tihink the 12th. yeah im going to keep it? unless i get off a waitlist i suppose. of which i am on 8.

Vitamin_Ng said:
so this might be the height of dorkiness, but...

are any of you guys on friendster? i'm curious to know who our classmates will be...might as well start the networking now! ;)

you can find my profile by using the e-mail search: [email protected]

I think i started using friendster, but never kept it up. I'm on facebook though. Just search for "Ruwan" at UC Davis.

ruwan said:
I think i started using friendster, but never kept it up. I'm on facebook though. Just search for "Ruwan" at UC Davis.

same here... never check my friendster anymore - just signed up on facebook. Find "Diana" at Union College. :) i tried searching for you Ruwan at UC, but couldn't find you... :confused:

daisee82 said:
same here... never check my friendster anymore - just signed up on facebook. Find "Diana" at Union College. :) i tried searching for you Ruwan at UC, but couldn't find you... :confused:

I found two Dianas at Union, both Diana G.s... are you the "Student" or the "Grad Student"? But I'm surprised that you couldn't find me at UC Davis. Interesting... any other NYMC '09ers on the facebook? I guess we could do myspace/friendster too... Wow, we sure are geeky.

What I'd really like to set up is a forum for med students. I know all the UC med schools have medical student forums, and they seem to be full of cool stuff and informative posts. Anyone have any idea how to set those up?

Well guys, my financial info is finally at NYMC and it's being worked on by the FinAid people. Anyone know about how long it takes from getting your info in to knowing about your package? Also, I haven't heard from Student Housing yet... and after VitaminNG's last post, I'm definitely not sending anything in until I hear from them.

I guess I'm going to try to sign up for the suite-style housing, any comments on that? Anyone here thinking of the same?

hey guys:

I called and asked about the financial aid- they still haven't gotten to the Class of 2009. So it'll be a while. The scholarships are given by admissions office.

The Health services wanted to remind me that they'll be sending out the packages out soon (about immunization shots and physical). They require people get the usual + a varicella (chicken pox) titer aka blood test that shows you have antibodies for chicken pox.

i don't know about you guys, but i got my financial aid package today. i logged into the online application system yesterday and then overnighted them my tax returns and the like, and they gave me a package today. they are definitely doing class of 2009

ruwan said:
I found two Dianas at Union, both Diana G.s... are you the "Student" or the "Grad Student"? But I'm surprised that you couldn't find me at UC Davis. Interesting... any other NYMC '09ers on the facebook? I guess we could do myspace/friendster too... Wow, we sure are geeky.

What I'd really like to set up is a forum for med students. I know all the UC med schools have medical student forums, and they seem to be full of cool stuff and informative posts. Anyone have any idea how to set those up?

I'm Diana K.- alumn from Union College. I don't think first years have much of a choice with housing. I wanted to do a one bedroom or studio but those are pretty much reserved so I guess I'll be doing suite style.... =)

nycmed8 said:
i don't know about you guys, but i got my financial aid package today. i logged into the online application system yesterday and then overnighted them my tax returns and the like, and they gave me a package today. they are definitely doing class of 2009

I just called a minute ago and got that answer from the lady who answers the phones. How did you get your package, via email? Or mail?

i'm going for the suite-style dorms-- being on campus and 2 secs. away from classes is just too convenient to pass up. this was the living arrangement i had at rice for 2 years (4 ppl in 4 singles, sharing a bathroom and common room), and then i went to having 1 other roommate in an apartment this year...hopefully making the change back to dorm-life won't be too painful...

ruwan from UC davis and diana k. from union: i can't find you guys on the facebook. jesson, i found and added you. i'm listed under "marie ng" at rice.

as far as boards go-- someone could try setting one up at phpbb.com or ezboard.com, or we could make a yahoo! group.

Freakingzooming said:
I just called a minute ago and got that answer from the lady who answers the phones. How did you get your package, via email? Or mail?
Yeah i got my package today too. (scholarship yesterday, and the rest of it online today). class of 2009. i think she said they are done. so go to the website.

they sent me an email saying my package was available for viewing. its all electronic.