NYMC Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nycmed8 said:
they sent me an email saying my package was available for viewing. its all electronic.
"Class of 2009 - as files are completed after Monday, June 06, 2005"

This is the message on the nymc FA website indicating when students should recieve FA award letters. How are you guys recieving packages already? Am I the only one who has not recieved anything? Tell me i'm not alone here guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Bigsheed920 said:
"Class of 2009 - as files are completed after Monday, June 06, 2005"

This is the message on the nymc FA website indicating when students should recieve FA award letters. How are you guys recieving packages already? Am I the only one who has not recieved anything? Tell me i'm not alone here guys.

I was initially going to type: "Don't worry, you're not alone"... but I'm going to take that "don't worry" part out cause I'm worrying. I know they have my stuff, but they haven't let me know anything about my financial situation. (Or housing, or health for that matter.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I was just accepted last week and I think I'll be joining you guys this Fall. I was also accepted to USUHS, SLU, and Drexel but I had a better impression of NYMC during my interview. Anyone care to comment about these schools? Also, does anyone know if NYMC has a gym by any chance? I know there isn't much to do there, so I was hoping to get away from studying by lifting some weights or running.

Thanks

premed said:
Also, does anyone know if NYMC has a gym by any chance? I know there isn't much to do there, so I was hoping to get away from studying by lifting some weights or running.

Thanks

We do, and it is laughable. There are other gyms around here within easy driving distance. Mine charges ~$54 a month (w/ a student discount)

premed said:
Hey guys,

I was just accepted last week and I think I'll be joining you guys this Fall. I was also accepted to USUHS, SLU, and Drexel but I had a better impression of NYMC during my interview. Anyone care to comment about these schools? Also, does anyone know if NYMC has a gym by any chance? I know there isn't much to do there, so I was hoping to get away from studying by lifting some weights or running.

Thanks
I chose nymc over slu so i could say something about this. When i went to visit slu i felt sort of awkward because i am from california. i rode the metro a few times to check out the city and it seemed a bit scary. but other things: the rent is cheap. i think about$350. you do need a car. the hospital is right next door. nymc: a lot quieter but also close to nyc. uhh, i guess just go with your instinct and where you feel comfortable (the universal sdn answer)

patrickstarfish said:
I chose nymc over slu so i could say something about this. When i went to visit slu i felt sort of awkward because i am from california. i rode the metro a few times to check out the city and it seemed a bit scary. but other things: the rent is cheap. i think about$350. you do need a car. the hospital is right next door. nymc: a lot quieter but also close to nyc. uhh, i guess just go with your instinct and where you feel comfortable (the universal sdn answer)

I'm from Cali too. Yea, SLU was pretty ghetto. Maybe it's because of all the Cali people at NYMC, but my gut instinct told me I'll be fine at NYMC...see you guys in fall!

Congrats NYMC Class of 2009! See you at the end of July, I'll be helping you guys move in if you are in building 14 or 15. :)

Anyone from UCSD?

Prepare to have a blast orientation week. Then bust your butts 1st week.

Tip:
Get an air conditioner as soon as possible (it's gonna be hot and humid). Either buy a used one or a new one at Sam's. I recommend at least 6,000 BTU (8,000+ if you are on the 4th floor, gets hot in herre...so take off all your... ahem). If you are in Grassland 2, the way you figure out where you are is the first 2 numbers is the building number and the last two is your apt number. 01 - 04 is first floor, 05 - 08 is second floor, 09 - 12 is third and, 13 - 16 is fourth. (example: 1415 will be building 14, fourth floor).

Ben

Hey guys & gals-

Has anyone gotten the official housing information packet sent to them yet? I'm leaving in a couple weeks and will be out of the country and would like to get that done as soon as possible.

Just turned in my deposit, so it looks like I'll be joining all you cool people in fall!!

Dr Brentwood said:
Just turned in my deposit, so it looks like I'll be joining all you cool people in fall!!

I just called my top 2 waitlists and found out I most likely wont get off them so im 99.9% sure I'll be at NYMC in august as well

For those of you who finished step 1 of the fin aid, did you guys send in your FICO credit score from one agency or all three?

Dr Brentwood said:
For those of you who finished step 1 of the fin aid, did you guys send in your FICO credit score from one agency or all three?

I believe Fin Aid requires scores from all 3 reporting agencies.

Anyone know how quickly they process your financial aid once they receive all of your paperwork?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete with my financial aid stuff about 3 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back yet...

When are people planning on moving into the on-campus housing? I was thinking July 29??

bbtbay said:
When are people planning on moving into the on-campus housing? I was thinking July 29??
DId u get hosuing already?

Nope, I haven't even gotten the housing application yet but I was trying to figure this out so I could book an airplane ticket. Does anyone have the housing office contact info handy??

bbtbay said:
Nope, I haven't even gotten the housing application yet but I was trying to figure this out so I could book an airplane ticket. Does anyone have the housing office contact info handy??

Why don't you guys keep this an acceptance Thread and start a separate housing one? It's very nerve racking to see this Thread pop and think someone else got in who interviewed after me.

Do I sound annoying? Probably, but please understand...

thanks

Ifellinapothole said:
Why don't you guys keep this an acceptance Thread and start a separate housing one? It's very nerve racking to see this Thread pop and think someone else got in who interviewed after me.

Do I sound annoying? Probably, but please understand...

thanks
Hang in there Ifellinapothole....u do sound a little annoying though...hehe

btw guys...what is the grading system @ NYMC?

Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail

i think in past orientation week schedules, the first weekend is set aside for move-in (i.e. july 30-31). on the housing form, you can specify when you would like to move in, although i don't know if you'd need a special reason if you want to move in july 29 or earlier.

i think it's silly to specify different threads for different topics for each school-- can you imagine everyone rolling their eyes if "NYMC housing" and "NYMC financial aid" and "NYMC OMGZ wut R U wearing 1st day of schOoL?@!" threads started popping up? :rolleyes:

I just recieved my FA package today and recieved $0 free money. 57K of pure loans. Anyone else in the same boat??

Bigsheed920 said:
I just recieved my FA package today and recieved $0 free money. 57K of pure loans. Anyone else in the same boat??

It means your parents have money; time to go a-beggin'.

Bigsheed920 said:

Wow, I was just going to make the exact same post. Yep got my good ol' 57k in loans for next year coming up.

My question for current NYMC studnets is: it has living cost at 17300. Is that enough? Too much? What do you think? Also, if you don't use all 57k, what do you do with the extra? Do you have to give it back? Put it towards the already out loans?

Anyone have any good loan re-paying strategies? Because, the reality of having nearly 240k in loans after 4 years is going to hit me very hard, very soon.

Bigsheed - any housing/health stuff yet?

Ifellinapothole said:
It means your parents have money; time to go a-beggin'.

Not the case Ifellinpothole, I worked all of 2004 so that is why I got no help. Ruwan I did not recieve housing health info but the lady @ hosuing did inform me they will mail out applications this friday. Still bumming about the 57K :( :(

Bigsheed-

I got my "online financial award package" today and I also received no free money. 57K in loans. I wasn't really expecting much because my parents make too much money. I wish they wouldn't take this into consideration, especially since I vowed that I would pay for medical school by myself (receiving no help at all from them)...Oh well, debt for a long time...

Hey all welcome to NYMC, damm these pages grew fast! I wrote a long reply last night but SDN was down by the time I tried to submit it, so here we go again:

Fin Aid-
I feel the pain of those who got the big 0k in scholarships, I am in the same boat and it kind of sucks. I hate everytime people bring up that they are only getting Xk in loans or daddy is only paying the cc bill and the BMW lease. I have no savings, and am getting almost no help from my parents. So, I take all the 57k of loans each year. Occationally my parents help with my flights home but that is it. I think some may be need based but from who i talk to there also seems to be a competitiveness aspect, and those with more acceptances early in the cycle have more $.

Car-
If you can, bring it. I am a huge public transit/bike guy, but biking here is just dangerous on the side of the road, and the public transit aint great. Having a car keeps me saine esp since I took a year off and got used to being able to go shopping when I want where I want, something that is much much harder without a car.

NYMC vs Drexel-
I feel like a good chunk of the 2008 class was also torn in their choices. One thing drexel never told me was their lecture hall is too small to fit their entire class!!! That is why they have so much technology, so you can webstream it to your house and not take up a seat!!! I hear that if the whole class shows up the overflow goes to a separate room to watch the lecture on a screen. I haven't talked to people from drexel about this but you might want to. Also the NYC vs. Philly thing is huge!! NYC is an experience, so for 2 years i will try manhattan, something that supposedly we should all try at some point.

If you have any questions let me know.

Oooh new news, just announced yesterday, the entire campus is going wireless!!! The dorms will be wireless when you arrive! In terms of computers, I read my scribes on mine so I love having a nice laptop, but some people rarely use their computers (most people print out their scribes), so don't feel that you need to run out and buy a new one.

A few (more) questions: (thanks in advance).

How does the scribe service work? Is it just for notes or does it include old exams and stuff? Oh and what do we have to do for the health insurance stuff? Thanks guys. Looking forward to seeing you in the fall. (Or rather, the late summer.)

Oh by the way, anyone hear play football? Weekend football kept me sane in college, and I'm hoping that I can continue playing with the folks there. (very very non-competitive, just for fun, touch/tackle/flag?, just mainly for running around purposes). Is there a field we can use in the area?

The scribe service is like $400 a year which is word for word dictations of the lectures done in a coop sort of way where everyone takes a turn. Health insurance you automatically get enrolled in and can opt out with proof of health insurance. There is a little round robin the first week to take care of all these issues.

there is a flag football league and softball league set up as well as an interclass powderpuff game. The games are usually fridays. There is a large oval in front of the ER for all the field sports you can use all the time.

ruwan said:
A few (more) questions: (thanks in advance).

How does the scribe service work? Is it just for notes or does it include old exams and stuff? Oh and what do we have to do for the health insurance stuff? Thanks guys. Looking forward to seeing you in the fall. (Or rather, the late summer.)

Oh by the way, anyone hear play football? Weekend football kept me sane in college, and I'm hoping that I can continue playing with the folks there. (very very non-competitive, just for fun, touch/tackle/flag?, just mainly for running around purposes). Is there a field we can use in the area?

hey everyone--

got my financial aid package of pure loans yesterday via e-mail. like another all-loans kid who posted earlier, i spent the year working. perhaps nymc will be more generous w/ their scholarships after i've spent a year accumulating debt. :scared: on a positive note, the FA office was extremely fast w/ their response...took less than a week after i mailed in all my documents.

also, i received my housing forms in the mail yesterday, and will be sending that in soon too.

-m

Just wanted to say that if you didn't get a scholarship this time around, don't expect one within the next 4 years. Most people get full loans here.

That 18K in living expenses... that includes your rent. So really, you'll have about 700 - 800 per month as far as living goes (food, cell phone, gas, clothes, household items, entertainment, etc). For some it's more than enough... for me, it's tough because I had a well paying job before med school.

Guys,
I just accepted my 57k in loans form today. Man that felt... interesting -- knowing I'm signing up for 240k of debt. Oh well.

Still no housing info here, but VitaminNG gives me hope.

I'll be out of the country in a week... do you guys know of anything else I need to get sorted out before I come there? (When is move in date btw?)

THanks,
Ruwan

I got my housing stuff last thursday. I guess you guys should receive it soon cuz it's priority due date is June 30.

hey guys:

I just wanted to toss some info about the loans. I too got the 57 K in all loans deal. Not sure if I want to accept the T.H.E. loan though.

The break down of each one:

Stafford's interest rates are right now at 4.7% for next year's academic year. They went up by two percent from last year.

The T.H.E. loans have an interest rate of 4.8% if you don't have a cosigner and 4.6% if you do. They are capped at 18%. I asked the financial aid lady if they have ever gotten that high and she told me she's worked there for 18+ years and they have gotten that high when she first started. Dont know what to make of that.

Other than like 8,500 from the Stafford subsidized, the rest of the package (49K) is all unsubsidized... it's going to be painfully expensive for me to go to NYMC. Oh well. I already knew that.

For the housing, does anyone know how hard it is to get a triple instead of a quadruplet apt.? Was anyone confused on the utilities? Does the 600-710 cover the utilities (excluding telecom charges)?

Freakingzooming said:
hey guys:

I just wanted to toss some info about the loans. I too got the 57 K in all loans deal. Not sure if I want to accept the T.H.E. loan though.

For the housing, does anyone know how hard it is to get a triple instead of a quadruplet apt.? Was anyone confused on the utilities? Does the 600-710 cover the utilities (excluding telecom charges)?

If you aren't going to take the THE loan how are you going to pay for things? THE loan is as cheap as you will find a loan, and you don't really have that much extra money without taking out all the loans. Trust Tony for the 1st year, take the whole budget, you can always take less next year, or decrease the spring term's money if you have a ton left from fall (yeah right)

The housing fee includes utilities except "telecom charge" which is 100% BS if you ask me, no one uses their phones and we are mandatorily charged the fee.

I have no idea about triple vs. quad call candy hack at housing if you have a question about room assignment.

what is the deal on parking?? anyone know? Thanks

sparky5 said:
If you aren't going to take the THE loan how are you going to pay for things? THE loan is as cheap as you will find a loan, and you don't really have that much extra money without taking out all the loans. Trust Tony for the 1st year, take the whole budget, you can always take less next year, or decrease the spring term's money if you have a ton left from fall (yeah right)

The housing fee includes utilities except "telecom charge" which is 100% BS if you ask me, no one uses their phones and we are mandatorily charged the fee.

I have no idea about triple vs. quad call candy hack at housing if you have a question about room assignment.

The thing is, my parents have offered to pay for the living expensives or at least to cover the 14K or what the THE loan would have been. I don't want to suck them dry of their retirement fund.

But, I guess I'm going to probably take the THE loan for my first year. Thanks for the input and help. Its hard not to be a little worried about the mounting debt I'm going to accrue.

Bigsheed920 said:

You get access to a parking lot. Commuters park in the back of the classroom building. On-campus folks park either by the dorms, or across the street @ the hospital lot.

Bigsheed920 said:
I just got your AIM, but will reply here for everyone's sake. There is a huge lot that is a 2-3min walk away. A $30 deposit is required, for the access card, but other than that it is free, and there are ALWAYS empty spots!!

Sparky5-
Could you provide some insight into the schedule for an MS1? When I interviewed they essentially said 9-5 most days. Is this the case? How often are you finished with lectures/labs before 5? After 5? Thank you!

pumpkin628 said:
Sparky5-
Could you provide some insight into the schedule for an MS1? When I interviewed they essentially said 9-5 most days. Is this the case? How often are you finished with lectures/labs before 5? After 5? Thank you!

I can help u with this one, as I'll soon be an MS2 after our last neuro test tomorrow (whooohoo!!)

Sorry, I've gone a little crazy from all the studying these past two weeks. Anyways, you'll have those 9-5 days, but mostly in the first block of Anatomy/Histology. After that, the full on 9-5 days are few and far in between. Expect lecture every day, M-F, from 9-12. Some mornings in the first block are lighter, only 9-10 or 9-11, but once the 2nd and 3rd blocks start it is 9-12 every morning. Lots of people go to every lecture, and lots of people skip lectures and read the scribes. You end up doing what works for you, I personally like hearing it in lecture 1st, and so I go to them all.

The afternoons are variable. Some Anatomy days you'll have lab from 1-5. Some days you'll have a class from 1-2 and that's it for the entire day. Some days you'll have nothing at all! I didnt feel like I spent too much time in classrooms. If you're in one till 5pm on tuesday, chances are wednesday will have 9-12, and then 1-2 and you're free.

-Renox

p.s. CONGRATS to all you incoming 2009'ers. I'll meet you all soon, as I'm helping to organize and volunteer at orientation. Feel free to ask me any questions here, I'm off campus and so can help other people who are thinking of going that route.

p.p.s. to all those nerdy kids talking about friendster and myspace before...yeah, I'm a huge dork and have profiles on both of those. all I can say is that it's a great procrastination tool! u can look me up there, i have red hair.

I posted in the other thread first, but I'll be coming to NYMC in the fall, too - I'm really excited.

I have a question for you current students. With the scribe service, how long after the class do you get the notes? Also, is there any old tests available, or notes from previous years? It would be nice to have these to read before the class.

I was wondering if some of you current 1st year students can comment on the housing situation. I just want to get some sort of inside info on the +/- for the choices... How new are the buildings? can 1st years get 1br apts on campus or are they really reserved for the older students with families etc... thanks a lot

jmmmmm said:
I posted in the other thread first, but I'll be coming to NYMC in the fall, too - I'm really excited.

I have a question for you current students. With the scribe service, how long after the class do you get the notes? Also, is there any old tests available, or notes from previous years? It would be nice to have these to read before the class.

Scribes take 1-2 days to get posted, the lecture notes 95% of the time are given to you in a huge packet at the beginning of the block. All of last year's scribes are available. The powerpoints are most of the time posted on the web the week before. So, there is plenty of stuff to read before class if that is your sort of thing :)

DonnyV17 said:
I was wondering if some of you current 1st year students can comment on the housing situation. I just want to get some sort of inside info on the +/- for the choices... How new are the buildings? can 1st years get 1br apts on campus or are they really reserved for the older students with families etc... thanks a lot

The 1 bedrooms are reserved for 3rd/4th year students. The buildings seem 10-15 years old. There are furnished apartments which have lounges and smaller bedrooms and unfurnished apartments which have almost no common area and larger bedrooms.

I think for the price you can't do anybetter. I am in a furnished 4 person room, and love it. I have a married friend in a unfurnished 2bdrm and he loves it. You really can't do much better for the price. If you have some extra $ or really want the independance you can live off campus, talk to renox9 about it.

For anyone else waiting for info and seeing who is getting what at this time, I would just like to let you fellow MSzeros know that I got my housing packet today. I'll hopefully get it done tonight, and submitted tomorrow. So now i'm only waiting on the health/insurance info, and I should be good to go.

BTW -- I'll be out of the country (and not avail. via telephone, only email) from June 18th to July 9. Do you guys think I should let Admissions know that I'll be going? Should I let any other department know?

For you MS1s, When do we get to move in to the dorms? Since July 29th is the Friday before orientation, can we start then? Also I'm planning to buy a car fairly soon after I get there (almost certainly an Accord/Corolla), any recommendations on where to look (dealerships etc)? Thanks in advance.

Looking forward to you guys when I get there. How will we be able to know eachother from SDN? (I'm easy, Ruwan is my name)

ruwan said:
For you MS1s, When do we get to move in to the dorms? Since July 29th is the Friday before orientation, can we start then?

I think that is when we can start moving in.

I started a yahoo group for the class. We had one at georgetown this year and it was very useful. You can either receive emails of all the posts, or you can just use it as a message board. It was a good way for everyone in the class to communicate. Go here to join:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYMC09

jmmmmm said:
I think that is when we can start moving in.

I started a yahoo group for the class. We had one at georgetown this year and it was very useful. You can either receive emails of all the posts, or you can just use it as a message board. It was a good way for everyone in the class to communicate. Go here to join:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYMC09
A call to the housing dept would answer this question, but looking at the schedule from last year it is sat.&sun move in. If you have a real need to move in early you can arrange that with the housing dept. but I think they want everyone to move in sat/sun.

Here is the webpage from last year:
http://www.nymc.edu/orientation/2004/

at some point they will make this site active:
http://www.nymc.edu/orientation/2005/