NYMC Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
boyz of 4d said:
I got my housing info today, im in grasslands 1312

Is that grassland I or II?

Members don't see this ad.

you got me, my housing sheet just says grasslands, but its a 4 person suite (i asked for that)

Dr Brentwood said:
Is that grassland I or II?

Got my housing assignment yesterday. I got a four person Grassland suite. Two of my roommates are from NY and one, along with myself, are from CA. Two weeks left...can't wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
Grasslands 1305 for me ... any of you know why they dont give us email addresses for our roomates?

maybe post the first name and last initials of your roommates if you've been given housing assignments (and if they those are avail). see if any SDNers are near eachother/roommates. (of course you feel there might be privacy issues, dont worry about it.)

I'm pretty sure the suite style buildings are the grey ones. Those brick ones look really nice though. Here's a stupid question, how do you know if you are Grasslands I or II?

The suite style apartments are the brick ones and the 1, 2, and 3 bedrooms for families/married students/older singles are the grey colored buildings. I think the suite style are considered Grasslands II and the grey ones are Grasslands I.

Quick question...any current students living in the grey apartments know where to get 200 Volt AC's at a decent price? And, is it definitely the case that all of the rooms in these apartments require 200 Volt units (vs 115 volt units)? Thanks for the help!

pumpkin628 said:
The suite style apartments are the brick ones and the 1, 2, and 3 bedrooms for families/married students/older singles are the grey colored buildings. I think the suite style are considered Grasslands II and the grey ones are Grasslands I.

Quick question...any current students living in the grey apartments know where to get 200 Volt AC's at a decent price? And, is it definitely the case that all of the rooms in these apartments require 200 Volt units (vs 115 volt units)? Thanks for the help!

Thanks, I was hoping the suite style were the brick ones - they look nice. (at least in the picture they do)

hey ill be joining you all as MS-1's in about two weeks, hard to believe its so soon.

i believe that the brick buildings are the suite style dorms. ill be in apt 1408.

pumpkin628 said:

I am pretty sure all the plugs are 115volts in both grasslands

Did everyone from CA get their assignments already? I was told on the phone that mine was ready and mailed last wednesday. I just opened the mailbox and still nothing. :confused:

Dr Brentwood said:
Did everyone from CA get their assignments already? I was told on the phone that mine was ready and mailed last wednesday. I just opened the mailbox and still nothing. :confused:

I'm from SoCal and I received my housing assignment.

Any MS2's have advice about buying an AC unit. We received something about AC in our housing packets quoting us for $419 for 115 Volts. I think that's the price with installation but it seems kind of steep to me. Also, is it possible to share a microscope with someone or not even buy one at all? Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
premed said:
I'm from SoCal and I received my housing assignment.

Any MS2's have advice about buying an AC unit. We received something about AC in our housing packets quoting us for $419 for 115 Volts. I think that's the price with installation but it seems kind of steep to me. Also, is it possible to share a microscope with someone or not even buy one at all? Thanks for the input!

Yeah, seriously, I'm all about sharing a microscope if that's possible.

I called the school today to attempt to get a booklist for first year - I was going to try to track down some of the books. I was told that they don't provide booklists because they don't want us going to amazon, etc because it threatens the bookstore's financial stability. Hmmm...interesting that they don't seem to care about MY financial stability much!

i think i'm planning to buy most of my books from 2nd years who'll probabaly sell them for less than the bookstore/amazon. i'm sure there are some 2nd years who'll want to get rid of their stuff. (i think that's what one MS1 said earlier in this thread.)

also, i'm in nor-cal and just received my housing info today. I'm in grasslands 1307. that's pretty close to a lot of you, and i think i'm your neighbor donnyv17, and right down the hall from boyzof4d. right on.

as for sharing microscopes, count me in on that too. lets try to save money any way we can. um for you MS1s... how hot does it get up there? do we really need an a/c -- and can any of you tell us what books (if any) we should try to get before we get there?

also, is anyone starting this after a very long break from school/work? i haven't taken notes really since march, and have been enjoying an extended vacation since then... hopefully i'll be able to jump right into the frenzy without too much difficulty.

ascrimmins said:
Yeah, seriously, I'm all about sharing a microscope if that's possible.

I called the school today to attempt to get a booklist for first year - I was going to try to track down some of the books. I was told that they don't provide booklists because they don't want us going to amazon, etc because it threatens the bookstore's financial stability. Hmmm...interesting that they don't seem to care about MY financial stability much!

1 - You can share the scope with someone else - just make sure that the second person is in the same room for histo lab

2 - look at the earlier posts - all the books that you need are listed/described. Also - the "required" book list is available on the NYMC bookstore webpage

ruwan said:
i think i'm planning to buy most of my books from 2nd years who'll probabaly sell them for less than the bookstore/amazon. i'm sure there are some 2nd years who'll want to get rid of their stuff. (i think that's what one MS1 said earlier in this thread.)

also, i'm in nor-cal and just received my housing info today. I'm in grasslands 1307. that's pretty close to a lot of you, and i think i'm your neighbor donnyv17, and right down the hall from boyzof4d. right on.

as for sharing microscopes, count me in on that too. lets try to save money any way we can. um for you MS1s... how hot does it get up there? do we really need an a/c -- and can any of you tell us what books (if any) we should try to get before we get there?

also, is anyone starting this after a very long break from school/work? i haven't taken notes really since march, and have been enjoying an extended vacation since then... hopefully i'll be able to jump right into the frenzy without too much difficulty.

This is my yr off, so I haven't sat in a lecture room since June 2004. Don't worry about it and enjoy what's left of your break!

I was reading old threads and I came across a MS2 saying that 4th floor suites can get extremely hot, so he needed the a/c. Yeah, for the tuition that we're paying, microscopes should be included in each lab. I went to a public high school and each lab class was equipped with microscopes for everyone in the class.

Buy an air conditioner. It will be the best investment you can make over the next 4 years. Welcome to NY everyone, where its hot and humid from may--> sept and starts to snow in late october.

Are there any banks on campus? What banks do most students use?
I'd like to find a bank that is both at home and at school.

ruwan said:

Looks like KCAccidental and I are also neighbors...I'm in 1407.

I also was wondering about sharing a microscope. But in the information that was sent, for the rental of the microscope (the cheaper one), it says $400 for 2 years, and it says "first come first serve" which leads me to believe we can't wait to find out what histo room we are in to find someone to share with. What do you all think?

bbtbay said:
Looks like KCAccidental and I are also neighbors...I'm in 1407.

I also was wondering about sharing a microscope. But in the information that was sent, for the rental of the microscope (the cheaper one), it says $400 for 2 years, and it says "first come first serve" which leads me to believe we can't wait to find out what histo room we are in to find someone to share with. What do you all think?
bbtbay-
yes, that's exactly what i am thinking. i want to share a microscope, but how do i find out who? or if i chose to share with my roommate(s?)/SDN folks is there anyway to switch people's histo labs around?

idq1i -- how do you deal with this problem? (also, should i accept that microscopes are necessary unlike in undergrad when you can get by without one?)

ruwan said:
idq1i -- how do you deal with this problem? (also, should i accept that microscopes are necessary unlike in undergrad when you can get by without one?)

You should have access to a microscope during your 1st year. They will also tell you that you need it in your second year - however, you can get by without one.

The administration makes it difficult (why = ?) to share scopes because you sign up for a rental during orientation, but you get assigned to a histo lab room on your first day of classes. Frankly, I don't know how you can make arrangements to share a scope. Try calling the department in early August to see if they already broke up the class into different modules

Anyone have any recommendations for what kind of a/c to buy? I'm a little worried about the size of the things though, they might not fit in the sleeves the apartment provides.. I'm in Grasslands II I believe, one of the 4-person apartments..

YES!!! I finally found an apartment off campus! Its actually quite big for one person but at $900 (in westchester especially), it was a steal and I took it. Now if I can get past that 30 min commute everyday, I'd be golden.

Do we have to wait till orientation to get stethoscopes, microscopes and other equipment?
I ask because my aprents offered to buy me a stethoscope and I am thinking of going for a really top model and was wondering if it's really worth it.

About the AC, I talked to my friend who is going to be an MS2 and he said go to a local shop and buy one, they are like 100 bux, but theres no exact fit, so he recommends you buy like 12 bux of insulation and make it fit. I guess it wont look as clean but it will be like 1/4th of the price (according to him).

I'll be in a double in grasslands I (unfurnished)--which is exactly what I requested. I am really excited to get things underway and look forward to meeting my future classmates...

love,
biffy

i have a question about our addresses-

the housing booklet says to use this format -
name, apt #, Old Farm Road, Valhalla, NY 10595 -
when listing our apartment do we list is as:
just 1408 or should we include our room number, 1408-4?

thanks guys

Hey all. I know I mentioned a pre-orientation get-together so thought I'd follow up. I'm thinking the evening of the 31st would be a good time to do it. I will call my uncle who lives in the area to see any place he might suggest. If you are interested, PM me.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if the suite Grassland apartments come with a television (probably just wishful thinking)? Also, still was wondering how we know if we have Grasslands I or II? Thanks.

hi future classmates :)

this might be a silly question but...do we get a closet in our rooms? im going to be in a grasslands 3-person suite. also, i wasnt planning on getting an aircon since it was so expensive but then someone mentioned we could find one locally for maybe 100 dollars..? where locally? and what else is in the area in general? easy to get to grocery stores and stuff? i wont have a car so maybe there is a bus?

bbtbay said:
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if the suite Grassland apartments come with a television (probably just wishful thinking)? Also, still was wondering how we know if we have Grasslands I or II? Thanks.

Grasslands II is the suite style apartments and I is for the 1,2,or 3 bedroom apartments for married/ older single students. I think it said this on the housing application.

Anyone familiar with the area know how to use the bus system (how far is the nearest bus stop from the school) to get to a grocery store or shopping area (I am not bringing a car) or do we have to bum rides from our suite mates?

Do not list the room number, all suitemates share a mailbox.

KCAccidental said:
i have a question about our addresses-

the housing booklet says to use this format -
name, apt #, Old Farm Road, Valhalla, NY 10595 -
when listing our apartment do we list is as:
just 1408 or should we include our room number, 1408-4?

thanks guys

There are no TV's provided, but all rooms are cable-ready.

bbtbay said:
Hey everyone,

All rooms have fairly spacious closets, with 2-3 shelves above the rack. There is also a communal closet.

As for the AC - Definetely worth it. It gets very hot and very very muggy in the Hudson Valley.

Lastly, there are basicallt two shopping areas nearby; Elmsford - Sam's Club, Restaurants, Deli's etc.
White Plains-ish - A&P, Kmart and other various stores

There is also White Plains propper with 4 malls and many many smaller shops, restaurants, etc.

Lastly, from what I can tell there are two main buses routes on campus, 14 and 11. Check the westchester.gov site for more info. A car would be best though.

lhh147 said:
hi future classmates :)

this might be a silly question but...do we get a closet in our rooms? im going to be in a grasslands 3-person suite. also, i wasnt planning on getting an aircon since it was so expensive but then someone mentioned we could find one locally for maybe 100 dollars..? where locally? and what else is in the area in general? easy to get to grocery stores and stuff? i wont have a car so maybe there is a bus?

http://www.sovo.com/2005/6-24/view/actionalert/action.cfm

"Officials at the New York Medical College in Westchester County, N.Y., continue to hold fast against allowing a gay student group to form, arguing that the group would “advocate and promote activities inconsistent with the values” of the Catholic school."

This article surprised me a little bit; I was under the impression that NYMC isn't explicitly religious.

Does anybody know exactly how big a role Catholicism plays in student life on campus, and also in what they teach their med students?

First off realize that I am not religious whatsoever. What you people need to realize is that although NYMC has a "catholic tradition" there is no catholic doctrine in their teaching. That aside, people have to realize that as a private institution, whose hierarchy is somewhat influenced by the church, there may be some issues that the school will favor the laws of the church, ie homosexuality and abortion. There arent priests running around teaching the M1 classes, there are no nuns. Relax. Just because a student group doesnt get the backing of the school, doesnt mean that they cannot meet and have activities. I was in an off campus frat and believe me we had a better time when we were off campus than on (i know its a horrible comparison but you get the picture).

Hey all,
In case any of you are buying any books - Harry Potter, Netter's Anatomy (softcover, apparently ***Thanks idq1!***) there is a coupon from Border's - 30% off. Here's a link: http://f.chtah.com/i/9/276579820/071905_coupon.htm

It's good through 7/24.

Onto other topics - I've only heard one positive response re: a pre-orientation get-together (Yay Ruwan). Anyone else???

if you visited the campus, you'll see why we call it the "catholic tradition" but in essence, it's more of a convenience for the school to be Catholic so it can maintain their Catholic hospitals affliations.

When I visited, I saw that there were no nativity scenes or crosses hanging around. I don't even think very many of the students there are even Catholic or Christian.

Compared to SLU and Loyola, both Jesuits schools (SLU had a ministry office next to lecture rooms with crosses in each classroom), there wasn't much of a visible religious presence on the campus. You really have to visit the three schools to see the difference.

Could anyone tell me what info they have received in the mail from NYMC over recent weeks (since late June/early July)? I have been away from home for the past 3+ weeks and was having my mail forwarded, but there was a mix up and I have not gotten all of it. The last thing I received was a packet from Fin Aid with my first billing statement and info on health insurance. Have I missed anything???

I'm not sure if this applies to you, but we also received a packet from the housing office with our assignments. In that packet was also information regarding moving in, air conditioners to rent, and other relevant brochures. You may also have it already, but we also got something from health services regarding information for immunizations and a physical history form that needed to be filled out by a doctor (this may have been more than 3 weeks ago).

Hey guys, I'll be joining you at NYMC. Im new to SDN but have been reading the posts and you all seem really cool, which is definitely comforting. Well i cant wait to meet everyone, and I'll see you in about a week.

hey--

i just got back from a 2 1/2 week jaunt in japan...and wow, this thread has really exploded! anyway, i just found out i'm in 1413 grasslands. see you guys soon! and whoever is planning the pre-orientation get-together, please post the details once things are finalized.

DonnyV17 said:
There arent priests running around teaching the M1 classes, there are no nuns. Relax.

Um, actually there is a priest running around at NYMC teaching first year classes - Dr. Pravetz. He's a monk, actually, says mass fairly frequently on the chapel on campus, and is one of the most humble and excellent teachers I have ever met in my life. His religion doesn't affect his teaching, but he does offer a type of reverence in anatomy lab that students pick up on quickly and respect. He is often one of the favorite faculty members. And Dr. Sulmasy that does the ethics curriculum is also a monk. Just so you know. (That's what OFM after someone's name means - Order of Franscican Monks).

But otherwise, as an alum, I loved every second of NYMC and am so glad of the clinical experience I got when I was there - it has paid off 10 fold in residency. :love:

hey, so i'm officially leaving atlanta this morning to make my way by car to new york for school-- it'll be a combined send-off/mini-family vacation/b-day celebration for brother type thing. see you kids at orientation! :D

"The nightlife in Westchester is pretty bland. Your social circle will consist of medical students, so the only way to avoid this crowd will be to go to the city and hang out with friends who don’t go to NYMC." - Survival guide for NYMC

This guide is sweet! It's got tons of useful stuff.

Freakingzooming said:
"The nightlife in Westchester is pretty bland. Your social circle will consist of medical students, so the only way to avoid this crowd will be to go to the city and hang out with friends who don’t go to NYMC." - Survival guide for NYMC

This guide is sweet! It's got tons of useful stuff.

Hahaha. I got a kick out of that same line when I read it also. At least you know the information in that guide is going to be honest with no sugar-coating. Although after reading it, I'm really thinking that a car would not just be useful but essential.

I am living off campus in Yonkers, anyone else living off campus?
(I know ascrimmins is :) )

One more call for interest in a pre-orientation get-together. Who's up for it? Come on, you know you are. A few beers with classmates before class starts? I'll even DD :). Ok, well, let me know. I will post the location here. I'm thinking 7 pm on the 31st (for selfish reasons - have to drop someone at the airport at 6). Come on, you know you want to!

Count me in for the get together. But where??

Ok, executive decision. Let's meet at Grasslands. I will scout out a place earlier in the weekend.

Who: ANYONE - I think we could use a few older and wiser students if they would care to "tag along" (ha, just kidding), but ESPECIALLY ANYONE who is NYMC Class of 2009.

What: a few drinks, a few appetizers, some fun!

When: 7:30 PM (I originally said 7 PM, but changed to reflect the barbeque that is on the orientation schedule)

Where: Let's meet in front of the suite-style apartments and go from there. That way people won't get lost!

Why: to kick off a very long four years the RIGHT WAY!!!

How will you know? Well, I'm 5'0" (and therefore one could reasonably assume I'm a girl :))and have shoulder-length brownish-reddish hair. I will have my car - a white Volvo S40.

Should you bring your car? Well, I will be DD, but I'm hoping we'll end up with 10 people or so. So, bring your keys and if we need another car someone can get theirs??

YAY! Can't wait!!!

PM me for my cell # if you would like it!!