NYMC vs. Frank H. Netter Quinnipiac (Help pls!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovemygomers

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Please help me decide between these two amazing schools! I have until tomorrow to decide and I'm entirely stuck between both. Any input helps please!

New York Medical College
Pros
-20K yearly scholarship
-about 30 min from the city
-class seemed collaborative and students looked happy
-2019 Match list was v good
-Westchester hospital as primary clinical site + many affiliates in NYC (including an allegedly good peds hospital - very interested in peds) NJ, and Virginia

Cons
-Large class size compared to other option (210)
-COA overall will be more ~ 15K more
-facilities are a bit outdated
-P/F curriculum but with internal ranking

Frank H. Netter SOM at Quinnipiac
Pros
-30K yearly scholarship
-smaller class size, 98
-first two match lists were insane and amazing
-faculty is fully focused on academics
-newer facilities
-true pass/fail - no internal rankings
-much cheaper option for COA

Cons
-New Haven was cute, but I'm coming from a big city and I'm not sure how i'll settle in a smaller town
-newer school (not sure if this is a con) but definitely less name recognized
-no direct hospital for clinical sites, so will have to be driving a lot
-since curriculum and school is very focused on academics, I'm a bit worried finding research will become a hassle (although faculty and students say research is obtainable through Yale)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems close. If you're up for a new experience with a smaller town feel, then Quinnipiac because of the cost of attendance difference between the schools. I've read a lot on here when pros/cons are similar, go with the cheaper option if the schools are relatively equal in their opportunities

Reactions: 1 users
Seems close. If you're up for a new experience with a smaller town feel, then Quinnipiac because of the cost of attendance difference between the schools. I've read a lot on here when pros/cons are similar, go with the cheaper option if the schools are relatively equal in their opportunities
Yeah it’s a hard choice! I think i’m leaning more towards Netter also

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Please help me decide between these two amazing schools! I have until tomorrow to decide and I'm entirely stuck between both. Any input helps please!

New York Medical College
Pros
-20K yearly scholarship
-about 30 min from the city
-class seemed collaborative and students looked happy
-2019 Match list was v good
-Westchester hospital as primary clinical site + many affiliates in NYC (including an allegedly good peds hospital - very interested in peds) NJ, and Virginia

Cons
-Large class size compared to other option (210)
-COA overall will be more ~ 15K more
-facilities are a bit outdated
-P/F curriculum but with internal ranking

Frank H. Netter SOM at Quinnipiac
Pros
-30K yearly scholarship
-smaller class size, 98
-first two match lists were insane and amazing
-faculty is fully focused on academics
-newer facilities
-true pass/fail - no internal rankings
-much cheaper option for COA

Cons
-New Haven was cute, but I'm coming from a big city and I'm not sure how i'll settle in a smaller town
-newer school (not sure if this is a con) but definitely less name recognized
-no direct hospital for clinical sites, so will have to be driving a lot
-since curriculum and school is very focused on academics, I'm a bit worried finding research will become a hassle (although faculty and students say research is obtainable through Yale)

I would be curious to know which you choose. I'm a current applicant this season who has interviews at both schools so far and it seems to me Netter is the better choice although I too am concerned about it being a relatively new school and not focusing on research as much

Reactions: 1 users
I’m also curious about this. I feel for some people though who don’t want as much of a research focus, Netter is the better fit. Just depends the person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi! I just got accepted into NYMC and this might be a bit off the mark, but could you tell me about the scholarship? Was this a need based grant/institutional scholarship or an academic award?
I’ve been trying to find more information about it although I’ve seen it pop up a couple of times on SDN.

I can't speak about either schools as a med school but I will say that New Haven isn't terrible - I thought I was gonna hate it and I really ended up liking it. It's true, if you're from NY and want NYC you will be miserable here. But if you can do the "at least one of everything" city vibe you'll be fine in New Haven. Also, it's true, the COL in New Haven is so much cheaper, and as a medical student you're not going to have so much free time that you'll need the 20 million things NYC has