NYMC vs Hackensack Meridian (Seton Hall)

pork_katsu_cheesecorn

2+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
Been debating this for a while now and its been 50/50. If anyone can help me point out obvious pros and cons, that would be very appreciated! I also haven't received any financial assistance from either yet (both are private institutions), but my deal breaker might be whoever gives me a scholarship. FYI, I am a NJ resident, female, and am very interested in pursing a surgical residency after medical school. From what I know so far:

NYMC:
- 4 year medical school
- strong match list (especially for hospitals in NYC, which is a big interest for me)
- much older school with established traditions and connections
- learning style is typical lectures and small groups
- scheduled to take Step 1 after 2nd year, just like other 4 year schools

Hackensack Meridian:
- 3 year program (or you can stay another year to do research, MPH, etc), you start clinicals in the middle of 2nd year
- guaranteed internal match to any Hackensack hospital after 3 years. You can do the national Match but would have to stay for a 4th year.
- brand new school established in 2018, no match record yet
- flipped classroom style learning, similar to problem-based learning
- scheduled to take Step 1 after 3rd year (1 year after finishing didactics)

What to do?!? Also please correct me if any of the above information is incorrect. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
About the Ads

Therealestdoc

2+ Year Member
May 10, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
Hackensack called me again and offered an even better scholarship. Half-Tuition, which basically makes tuition $31k a year. I think I'm gunna take it. But I am a bit skeptical why they keep offering more and more.
Take the deal and run. That’s a lot of money

Reactions: 3 users

bengalsix

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2017
  1. Medical Student
I initially voted NYMC earlier this week (more established), but switched to Seton Hall just now when I saw your updated COA and a guaranteed residency option after just 3 years. Debt and residency apps are two of the biggest stressors for med students, so being able to mitigate both sounds like an amazing deal.

Reactions: 2 users
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.