NYU College of Dentistry Class of 2027 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Is there anyone who is on the waitlist but have not yet to receive an email or phone call from NYU?

I received the email but not a phone call worried that I’m low on the waitlist because I’m so young and won’t have a bachelors

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Did you receive a phone call about your interest in the waitlist/attending?
No I didn't received a phone call but I might just had missed it so I'm unsure about that. Also I answered the survey regarding staying on the waitlist, but I did the survey past the deadline! lol idk how I got in

Reactions: 1 user
I got an email and phone call but didn’t get an acceptance today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ultimately, the choice is in your hand. All I'm saying is that the system here is corrupted and if you have a better and cheaper choice, go for it. The course in which 75% of the class failed was said to be "an experimental course" by the course directors. Would you pay another $100,000+ because you fail this experimental one-credit course?

It's despicable seeing how D3s complain and spread through media about the course that they failed. Difficult? Surely. Impossible? Absolutely not.

It's a shame that they're spreading their incompetence in disguise. 75% failing shows how unprepared and incompetent they were for the exam. You think posting on social media would gain sympathy from other people? It's pathetic. It only shows how incompetent NYU students are. Study harder. It's one of the most difficult courses at NYU. Did the 25% magically pass? Yes, it's a 1 credit course. You should be happy that your C wouldn't have much of an impact on the GPA than worrying about failing the 1 credit course. Get your attitude in order.

The course was created last year and trust me, it was harder last year. No recalls, no information, higher cutoff %, etc. We needed 100% to pass the competency. You needed 80%. People who studied passed. Simple enough.

I am by no means defending NYU and I've shared a plenty of **** of NYU myself here. It's true, NYU hardly cares for their students. But studying is your responsibility. Crying about the admins because you didn't study enough is... wtf? You are training professionals. Act like one.

I've always posted this while talking **** about NYU, lol, but once again: If you study and work as you should, you need not worry about failing. It's really simple as that.

Reactions: 3 users
Ultimately, the choice is in your hand. All I'm saying is that the system here is corrupted and if you have a better and cheaper choice, go for it. The course in which 75% of the class failed was said to be "an experimental course" by the course directors. Would you pay another $100,000+ because you fail this experimental one-credit course?
so does 75% of the class have to retake the course? or the whole year? im confused why they would have to pay an extra $100,000 for failing one course

Members don't see this ad :)
They will have another opportunity to take the exam to pass.
so does 75% of the class have to retake the course? or the whole year? im confused why they would have to pay an extra $100,000 for failing one course
If you receive 59.5 (I think) - 75, you remediate.
59.5 or below, you fail the year. Repeat or kicked out.

They will have another opportunity to take the exam to pass.

If you receive 59.5 (I think) - 75, you remediate.
59.5 or below, you fail the year. Repeat or kicked out.
Just to clarify, if you receive a D or a 59.5%-75% in this class (not just on the exam) you have to remediate the class. Below 59.5% average in the class you have to repeat the year. Other classes have a 69.5% cut off for a D.

I’m not sure I agree with the “NYU students need to study harder” comment above. If 75% failed the exam then we need to look at the least common denominator here which is the professors and how they teach. D3 students don’t just all of a sudden not study for 1 class and hope they do well. They been in school for a while now so most should know how to study at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just to clarify, if you receive a D (59.5%-75%) in the class (not just on the exam) you have to remediate the class. Below 59.5% average in the class you have to repeat the year.

I’m not sure I agree with the “NYU students need to study harder” comment above. If 75% failed the exam then we need to look at the least common denominator here which is the professors and how they teach. D3 students don’t just all of a sudden not study for 1 class and hope they do well. They been in school for a while now so most should know how to study at this point.
I've spoken as a D4 perspective.

Perhaps, if an outsider was to hear you, they might agree. If I wasn't in NYU, I would also agree with you. What you say is assuming that the difficulty of the courses are the same or similar. Clearly, this course and exam was not.

When a D3 posts what happened and mention what happened last year, every.single.post conveniently forget to post the details.

1. We had 8 tries for the competency, unlike this year's 4 tries. But we had to get 100% in ours, unlike their 80%. That 20% difference is significant.

2. Our exams did not identify which questions were for the competency. This year's did.

3. We initially had 80% cutoff for the exam to pass. This year had 75%.

I had taken a look at some of the questions from this year's exam. They were more refined, clear, and straightforward. EVERY SINGLE D4 I've spoken to craps on the D3 class. Not the course. YES, the course is difficult. YES it is entirely their fault that they failed. You can't be blaming on the faculty when the past year class did well and the majority passed with more challenges.

What's more, the D3 had the recalls. We did not last year. They KNEW what kind of questions to expect. What the difficulty would be.

At the end of the course, we had 1 or 2 students completely drop out because of this course.

So yes, the D3 class as a whole need to study harder. Seeing their complaint in multiple dental related groups is pathetic. I'm sorry many of them failed. I'm not sorry they didn't study hard enough. Stop looking for sympathy from outsiders for lack of effort.

I've spoken as a D4 perspective.

Perhaps, if an outsider was to hear you, they might agree. If I wasn't in NYU, I would also agree with you. What you say is assuming that the difficulty of the courses are the same or similar. Clearly, this course and exam was not.

When a D3 posts what happened and mention what happened last year, every.single.post conveniently forget to post the details.

1. We had 8 tries for the competency, unlike this year's 4 tries. But we had to get 100% in ours, unlike their 80%. That 20% difference is significant.

2. Our exams did not identify which questions were for the competency. This year's did.

3. We initially had 80% cutoff for the exam to pass. This year had 75%.

I had taken a look at some of the questions from this year's exam. They were more refined, clear, and straightforward. EVERY SINGLE D4 I've spoken to craps on the D3 class. Not the course. YES, the course is difficult. YES it is entirely their fault that they failed. You can't be blaming on the faculty when the past year class did well and the majority passed with more challenges.

What's more, the D3 had the recalls. We did not last year. They KNEW what kind of questions to expect. What the difficulty would be.

At the end of the course, we had 1 or 2 students completely drop out because of this course.

So yes, the D3 class as a whole need to study harder. Seeing their complaint in multiple dental related groups is pathetic. I'm sorry many of them failed. I'm not sorry they didn't study hard enough. Stop looking for sympathy from outsiders for lack of effort.
I agree with you and I understand that the D4 had a more difficult time since the class was new in your year but I don't agree that 75% of the class failed just because of your "lack of effort" reason. What's the reason that makes you believe they didn't study enough? Studying hard doesn't always guarantee you a good grade (please disregard this if you're a true genius and never receive a C or D regardless of the effort you put in) since I do think that there are others factors influencing the ability to do the exam. But at least I hope that you might agree that the course itself or the faculty's teaching style needs to be changed so the students actively want to learn something and not like "Oh I'm studying just to pass the exam and not retain any knowledge later because this course scares the **** out of me." And please remember you were in D3's shoes but they are never in your shoes.

Reactions: 1 users
It's the school's policy. If you get an F, repeat the year and pay the tuition again. If you get a D, you have another chance to remediate but if you don't pass, repeat the whole year.

I agree with you and I understand that the D4 had a more difficult time since the class was new in your year but I don't agree that 75% of the class failed just because of your "lack of effort" reason. What's the reason that makes you believe they didn't study enough? Studying hard doesn't always guarantee you a good grade (please disregard this if you're a true genius and never receive a C or D regardless of the effort you put in) since I do think that there are others factors influencing the ability to do the exam. But at least I hope that you might agree that the course itself or the faculty's teaching style needs to be changed so the students actively want to learn something and not like "Oh I'm studying just to pass the exam and not retain any knowledge later because this course scares the **** out of me." And please remember you were in D3's shoes but they are never in your shoes.
Trust me, I know when you say their teaching is not the best. Pathology can be a very dry topic. But. The course was designed as a reinforcement to the OMP course that they took last year. They had a full half a year studying for it. Questions and materials are easier than the OMP course.

I am by no means a "genius." I hated this course to the core. Took me multiple tries to pass the competency that needed the 100%. But I studied hard to pass this course. It took more than any other course. So when I say the majority lacked effort in studying, I think it's quite accurate.

Yes, their teaching styles may be a factor in the passing rate. At the end of the day, it is the student's responsibility to pass. 100 or so people in the class passed. Clearly, with enough effort, they can pass this course. The bar is just higher.

And yes, I sympathize with them BECAUSE I was in their shoes, and I hope that they are never in mine. That 75% failure rate would have been bigger if they had ours. Our class was a guinea pig class for a lot of things.

My point is this: they failed. Stop posting their failures in the media. It doesn't change anything but make the entire school a laughing stock.

What's NYU estimated cost for D1s starting this fall? tuition, fees, etc.

What's NYU estimated cost for D1s starting this fall? tuition, fees, etc.

IMG_4252.jpg

Accepted from the waitlist this morning! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Holy cow.. That a serious finacial burden. The total educational expenses are practically identical between NYU and Roseman per year - Roseman is $108k but for 3 years.

Do living expenses really cost $43k in NY or are you able to cut that down a bit?
Because Roseman estimates living expenses to be around $38k, but my housing cost will be $700 (3 bedroom apartment - $2,000 in total for rent) + $800 for food, personal, & car costs. So $1,500 x 12 = $18k living cost - practically 50% of Roseman's estimated costs.