General Admissions & OTCAS NYU & Columbia 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOT795

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from NYU or Columbia yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. From previous threads they don’t send out admissions decisions until end of feb to early April

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know if Columbia does interviews? Their website says they may do interviews but I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if Columbia does interviews? Their website says they may do interviews but I'm not sure.

They do not. The website says they reserve the right to interview if they feel one is needed but they typically don't interview

Does anyone know if NYU does interviews? I tried googling but couldn't really find much information on it.

Has anyone heard back from NYU or Columbia yet?

I haven’t heard back from either programs yet. Last night, someone I know reached out to me and said she has been accepted to NYU. Now I’m getting really anxious since she heard back so early and shouldn’t decisions be out in March/April?

Also, I applied like right at the deadline. December 1st for Columbia and December 15th for NYU.

What about you guys? When did you apply and have you heard anything yet?

I haven’t heard back from either programs yet. Last night, someone I know reached out to me and said she has been accepted to NYU. Now I’m getting really anxious since she heard back so early and shouldn’t decisions be out in March/April?

Also, I applied like right at the deadline. December 1st for Columbia and December 15th for NYU.

That's crazy someone heard back so early! Wonder when she applied. I also applied not too long before the deadline (11/28) and haven't heard anything either. I'm not worried about it yet though because I'm sure she was a special case. It's nice to know they're reviewing apps and starting to make decisions though

That's crazy someone heard back so early! Wonder when she applied. I also applied not too long before the deadline (11/28) and haven't heard anything either. I'm not worried about it yet though because I'm sure she was a special case. It's nice to know they're reviewing apps and starting to make decisions though

I’ve actually been creeping last years forums and people started hearing from early feb to end of March so hearing from NYU now isn’t too surprising

I’ve actually been creeping last years forums and people started hearing from early feb to end of March so hearing from NYU now isn’t too surprising
Oh okay. Well maybe I was thinking March because that's what an admissions person told me a few months the ago but I know they generalize. Good to know though now I can be on the lookout.

Oh okay. Well maybe I was thinking March because that's what an admissions person told me a few months the ago but I know they generalize. Good to know though now I can be on the lookout.
For sure! I’ve been refreshing my email like crazy I’m so anxious!

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone on here applied to the MS Programs at NYU and Columbia right? How many programs did you apply to in total? Are you guys from out of state? Too many questions lol

Let’s just keep everyone updated! I hope we all hear back very soon! Don’t hesitate to send me a private message too

I still haven't heard anything either but I also applied right before the deadline lol. This whole process is just making me super anxious!

Everyone on here applied to the MS Programs at NYU and Columbia right? How many programs did you apply to in total? Are you guys from out of state? Too many questions lol

Let’s just keep everyone updated! I hope we all hear back very soon! Don’t hesitate to send me a private message too

I only applied to Columbia. I used to live around that area too! But, I'm currently living in Los Angeles... so I guess that makes me an out-of-state applicant. Also applied to SUNY Downstate and a few other schools. Still no word from any! The wait is agonizing!

I applied to 5 programs in total! NYU, Columbia, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, and Kean.
I got rejected from Jefferson but have an interview with Kean on Monday so hopefully it goes well! Still waiting on the others.
Oh, and I'm from New Jersey lol

I applied to Columbia, NYU, Seton hall, LIU, & NYIT. Im from Staten Island :)

Wow thanks for responding guys! It’s really helpful to be able to share how we feel about this whole waiting game! I only applied to NYU and Columbia so the anxiety is a little more intense as you could imagine, one of them has to work out or it’s on to Plan B for me!

I received a preliminary prereq checklist from Columbia on Thursday...did anyone else get this? All my prereqs are complete, I'm just missing CPR certification and final transcripts (since I graduate this April)

I received a preliminary prereq checklist from Columbia on Thursday...did anyone else get this? All my prereqs are complete, I'm just missing CPR certification and final transcripts (since I graduate this April)

Did they contact you via email? If so, i got that back in December! My updated grade for anatomy wasn’t on there so i emailed her back an unofficial transcript, But she hasn’t answered since! I must’ve emailed her like 3x by now for confirmation and no luck.

I also received the preliminary checklist back in December. I had to send proof that one of my classes was writing intensive. I realized that they're really bad at responding to emails (I could imagine they're just overwhelmed with all the applications) so I would call to make sure all of your things are in and your app is under review :)

I never received a checklist from Columbia although I’ve been emailing the admissions people last month for some of the supplemental materials I sent. They responded in a reasonable time, though. Also, I don’t think the CPR certification is required just yet? I think that’s for when you’re admitted? Please do correct me if I’m wrong.

I received the email on Thursday as well. I'm not that surprised I got it now and not in December. I submitted my application the day of the deadline, lol.

I never received a checklist from Columbia although I’ve been emailing the admissions people last month for some of the supplemental materials I sent. They responded in a reasonable time, though. Also, I don’t think the CPR certification is required just yet? I think that’s for when you’re admitted? Please do correct me if I’m wrong.

I haven't done the CPR yet either, its required to be done upon matriculation so we're good!

I applied only to NYU, not Columbia. I applied to 13 programs. I am from CA!

Hi! Congrats to those of you accepted. Still no word from Columbia?

I applied November 4th.
Nice! You applied way earlier than I did... I submitted mine on the day of the deadline which was December 15th. Yikes! I wonder how long I have to wait ‘til they get back to me or like if they get to my application will there even be spots left? Lmao so many questions in my head!

To those of you who applied to NYU... when did you guys submit your applications? I’m freaking out a little bit over here since I literally submitted mine on December 15th, the deadline. I mean, would you have any insight whatsoever if like there would even be a spot left when they get to reviewing those who sent last minute?

It doesn't seem like they accept people on a rolling admissions basis so as long as you applied by the deadline, you'll probably get equal consideration. I probably won't be accepting my spot

Phew that’s a helpful answer to at least give me a little peace of mind. I always do things last minute! Bad habit Oh... why wouldn’t you accept? Only if you don’t mind sharing of course.

To those of you who applied to NYU... when did you guys submit your applications? I’m freaking out a little bit over here since I literally submitted mine on December 15th, the deadline. I mean, would you have any insight whatsoever if like there would even be a spot left when they get to reviewing those who sent last minute?
I submitted my application on December 3rd and haven't heard back either. I don't think their process is rolling admissions though so like @greenwave96 said, everyone should have equal consideration. I know from previous forums they send out acceptances in waves though so maybe this was just the first one

I applied in September and still haven’t heard back so they’re probably just doing it in waves! We’ll be fine :)

Congrats! If you don't mind answering, did they offer any scholarships or other financial aid package besides loans?

I was accepted yesterday too. They say the department does not offer financial aid in the email but then they provide a link to outside scholarships you can apply for. I'm not sure if this is the case for everyone or just for me. I also got a scholarship from BU so it's going to be a tough choice.

I applied to NYU on November 14. I am so anxious to hear back! For those accepted, did you receive an email or phone call?

I submitted my application on December 3rd.

Same! When did you apply?

I don't think submission dates matter, I applied end of September and haven't heard anything. I think its random or theyre accepting the top people first and making their way down the list. :/

I don't think submission dates matter, I applied end of September and haven't heard anything. I think its random or theyre accepting the top people first and making their way down the list. :/
Yeah, I don't think it matters either..I was just curious. Good luck to everyone!

I was accepted yesterday too. They say the department does not offer financial aid in the email but then they provide a link to outside scholarships you can apply for. I'm not sure if this is the case for everyone or just for me. I also got a scholarship from BU so it's going to be a tough choice.

Thanks! I just got accepted to NYU today too so I received that information too. :) For those wondering, I submitted the application back in October.

Thanks! I just got accepted to NYU today too so I received that information too. :) For those wondering, I submitted the application back in October.

Congrats!! thats awesome.
For those accepted what were your stats? im getting real nervous

Congrats!! thats awesome.
For those accepted what were your stats? im getting real nervous

Thanks! My pre-req GPA is 3.68 and my overall GPA is currently 3.79 (spring 2018/this term is my last semester as an undergrad). I observed at 3 different OT settings for around 328 hours, interned at a Day Habilitation program for 165 hours, and am working part-time at a financial aid office for the past 2-3 years. I volunteered here and there for programs not really related to healthcare (ex: soup kitchen) but I added that in my resume too for the application.

Hi all.
Just wanted to let everyone know who is waiting on a decision from NYU know that I just called and they they will be letting people know over the next few weeks in waves.

Reactions: 3 users
I was admitted to the MS/OTD program yesterday. Definitely one of my top choices!

hypothetically, would you guys go to NYU's MS/OTD or Columbia's two-year MS program?