General Admissions & OTCAS NYU & Columbia 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! That’s awesome that you guys heard back and that there’s hope! Just curious, did you apply to the Professional MS or the MS/OTD at NYU? Thanks. :)
Professional MS

Members don't see this ad.

Undergraduate: CSU Fullerton
Major: Bachelors in Health Science
Overall GPA: 3.65, graduated with cum laude honors
Prereq GPA: 3.85
GRE: 144 V, 141 Q, 3.0 A (I'm not good at standardized exams)

Work experiences:
Currently working at a local hospital as an admitting representative for the past year
Total of 5 years in retail (customer service)

OT-related volunteer:
100 hrs in an occupational therapy based martial arts program for children, teens, and young adults
50 hrs of shadowing at a pediatrics clinic
40 hrs of shadowing at an upper extremity clinic

Extracurricular/other volunteer:
Peer health educator on campus at CSU Fullerton
Lunchtime exercise activity coordinator for elementary and middle school students
Eta Sigma Gamma (honor society for health science)

What are your stats?

I don't really understand what NYU means when they say there is no rank order. Would you happen to know?

Undergrad: 3.6 cum laude honors
Pre-req: 4.0

Work experience: 5 years in non-health related field

Observation: 120ish hours in peds and adult

No rank order means that the waitlist doesn’t have a specific ranking of who’s on the top or bottom of their list.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad: 3.6 cum laude honors
Pre-req: 4.0

Work experience: 5 years in tech industry

Observation: 120ish hours in peds and adult

No rank order means that the waitlist doesn’t have a specific ranking of who’s on the top or bottom of their list.
Hm, I wonder how they will determine who will be next in line.

Congrats on everyone on the waitlist! I didn’t receive an email so I assume I’m rejected. I wonder when they’ll send out those emails

Professional MS

Professional MS as well.

That’s awesome! Congrats! I applied to the Professional MS Program as well. I submitted my application on the day of the deadline and I haven’t heard anything as of yet. When did you guys apply? I think they’re reviewing it based on the submission date. I don’t wanna assume the worst yet lol

Congrats on everyone on the waitlist! I didn’t receive an email so I assume I’m rejected. I wonder when they’ll send out those emails

I haven’t heard from NYU either but I don’t want to assume the worst just yet. I submitted my application on the day of the deadline. What about you?

That’s awesome! Congrats! I applied to the Professional MS Program as well. I submitted my application on the day of the deadline and I haven’t heard anything as of yet. When did you guys apply? I think they’re reviewing it based on the submission date. I don’t wanna assume the worst yet lol

I applied early when it first opened

Hey guys! That’s awesome that you guys heard back and that there’s hope! Just curious, did you apply to the Professional MS or the MS/OTD at NYU? Thanks. :)

Has anyone heard specifically for the MS/OTD?

I applied for the MS as well. I submitted my app 11/28 for those wondering!

I submitted on 12/3!

Congratulations to those waitlisted. I was waitlisted last year but unfortunately was not accepted. However they do say that some years almost half of the roster is those who were waitlisted from all the rejections they get. Mostly from those who are from out of state and those who realize just how expensive NYU is.

The rank oder refers to the fact that they don't put people in the waitlist in an order from 1,2,5-100. When i asked last year they said after they have sent out all acceptances and received all rejections they re-evaluate all waitlisted peoples applications to then send out more acceptances to those on the waiting list.

We all have to remember how competitive this program and all the therapy (speech and PT) are becoming and not be too down on ourselves especially if we have a true passion for occupational therapy. A friend of mine was rejected from over 10 schools her first round and then got into more than half of them the second round.

Stay positive!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to those waitlisted. I was waitlisted last year but unfortunately was not accepted. However they do say that some years almost half of the roster is those who were waitlisted from all the rejections they get. Mostly from those who are from out of state and those who realize just how expensive NYU is.

The rank oder refers to the fact that they don't put people in the waitlist in an order from 1,2,5-100. When i asked last year they said after they have sent out all acceptances and received all rejections they re-evaluate all waitlisted peoples applications to then send out more acceptances to those on the waiting list.

We all have to remember how competitive this program and all the therapy (speech and PT) are becoming and not be too down on ourselves especially if we have a true passion for occupational therapy. A friend of mine was rejected from over 10 schools her first round and then got into more than half of them the second round.

Stay positive!

did you apply again this year?

I haven’t heard from NYU either but I don’t want to assume the worst just yet. I submitted my application on the day of the deadline. What about you?

Hmmm I just figure my stats aren’t very competitive with some of the waitlisted people so I just assumed rejection haha. I submitted 11/21 but my transcript they needed from fall semester wasn’t sent until January

Hmmm I just figure my stats aren’t very competitive with some of the waitlisted people so I just assumed rejection haha. I submitted 11/21 but my transcript they needed from fall semester wasn’t sent until January

I was thinking the same thing haha but hey we never know! What are your stats? Only if you don’t mind sharing of course! And also, the OT Department representative said for transcripts that won’t meet the December 15th deadline, exclude it ‘cause if you get accepted they would need the official copy anyway. I took Statistics in the Fall, that’s why.

I was thinking the same thing haha but hey we never know! What are your stats? Only if you don’t mind sharing of course! And also, the OT Department representative said for transcripts that won’t meet the December 15th deadline, exclude it ‘cause if you get accepted they would need the official copy anyway. I took Statistics in the Fall, that’s why.

Oh weird, I got an email asking for that transcript and that class is the only one I’ve taken at that school. They said it was the only thing missing from my checklist. My overall GPA is 3.44, my prerequisite is around 3.8 and my GRE is 161 verbal, 158 quant, and 4.5 AWA (I applied for MS/OTD). I have observation 160 hours in four different settings. I guess we just continue the waiting game now haha

Hi everyone! I was accepted into the NYU OTHR-MS on February 13th! I have to give them my decision by April 15th. I have not heard from Columbia yet. Best of luck to you all!

Hi everyone! I was accepted into the NYU OTHR-MS on February 13th! I have to give them my decision by April 15th. I have not heard from Columbia yet. Best of luck to you all!

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats and also when you applied? Are you planning to attend NYU?

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats and also when you applied? Are you planning to attend NYU?

I submitted my NYU application on December 7.

Undergraduate Major: Kinesiology
Cum GPA: 3.63, Cum Laude
Prereq GPA: 3.78
OT experience: 500+ hours of experience in hand therapy, directly supervised by an OT
Work experience: Anatomy lab TA
Extra-curriculars: President of my sorority, philanthropy chair of my sorority, Make-A-Wish foundation volunteer, dance team member, orchestra musician

As of now I am almost positive I will be attending. Still waiting to hear back from some other schools, but I am 90% sure NYU will be my choice!

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my NYU application on December 7.

Undergraduate Major: Kinesiology
Cum GPA: 3.63, Cum Laude
Prereq GPA: 3.78
OT experience: 500+ hours of experience in hand therapy, directly supervised by an OT
Work experience: Anatomy lab TA
Extra-curriculars: President of my sorority, philanthropy chair of my sorority, Make-A-Wish foundation volunteer, dance team member, orchestra musician

As of now I am almost positive I will be attending. Still waiting to hear back from some other schools, but I am 90% sure NYU will be my choice!

That is great! Congrats again! Are you from NYC or moving from out of state?

I got in to Columbia!!!!! Was notified by email today!!

I was waitlisted for NYU today, no word from Columbia. I keep getting more and more nervous this second time around is going to be another flunk.

You guys are lucky to be hearing back already even if it’s like for a waitlist because I have not heard from NYU or Columbia and I’m honestly so calm but I’m freaking out on the inside
Has anyone not heard at all from both programs?

@sugar214 Congratulations on your acceptance! When did you submit your application and what are your stats?

@OTOT93 Awesome that you heard back! There’s def hope there! Not sure if I asked this but what are you stats and when did you submit your app?

You guys are lucky to be hearing back already even if it’s like for a waitlist because I have not heard from NYU or Columbia and I’m honestly so calm but I’m freaking out on the inside

@sugar214 Congratulations on your acceptance! When did you submit your application and what are your stats?

@OTOT93 Awesome that you heard back! There’s def hope there! Not sure if I asked this but what are you stats and when did you submit your app?

I have not heard back at all and am SO nervous.

My stats are also no comparison to the people accepted and or those waitlisted last week before me. I sent my application in the day it was due 12/15/17. I just wanted to make sure it was the best i could make it before sending it in.

Overall GPA: 3.558
Prereq: 3.9

OT related volunteer work
80 hours of observation/volunteering in a Sensory Gym
200 hours at Mount Sinai Hospital outpatient OT (shadowing certified hand therapist)
2 full work days about 14 hours in a public school shadowing Ot

Non related
100 hours for Childrens Aid Society teaching nutrition and movement classes for 2.5-6 year olds
Volunteering for SCNY (skating club of new york) Figure Skating Competiitons

Work:
I have worked with children babysitting since i was 13
working for a tots summer ice skating camp as a counselor
Worked for a private after school sports program
Currently am a figure skating coach at sky rink chelsea piers-been coaching for about 5 years now

@OTquestions @OTwannabe2020 @OTOT93 @OccuThera2018 thank you all! best of luck to you!

I applied to the MOT program on November 30th!

Major: allied health sciences
Minor: psychology
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre-reqs: I received As in all of them but one I got an A-
OT experience: I have around 250 hours of shadowing/work experience in pediatric outpatient, hand therapy, and nursing homes
Work experience: pediatric therapy aide, research assistant, resident assistant
I didn't take the GRE!

I still haven’t heard back from either schools so we’re on the same boat lol.

For tho people who got in to NYU,

When is the deadline to notify them?
Everyone’s is different I believe

For tho people who got in to NYU,

When is the deadline to notify them?
Everyone’s is different I believe

My acceptance states "Your tuition deposit deadline is April 15 or three weeks from the date of your notification, whichever is later". So for me April 15!

Hey everyone, so i just found out I've been waitlisted at NYU for the OTHR-MS program since February 22nd. Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist or was accepted and decided not to go to NYU?

Last edited:
Hey everyone, so i just found out I've been waitlisted at NYU since February 22nd. Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist or was accepted and decided not to go to NYU?

Hi! How did you just find out? Did you receive an email? I haven’t heard anything from NYU as of yet. I think a bunch of other people have been waitlisted that day too. I have not heard of anyone being accepted off the waitlist.

Hi! How did you just find out? Did you receive an email? I haven’t heard anything from NYU as of yet. I think a bunch of other people have been waitlisted that day too. I have not heard of anyone being accepted off the waitlist.
So I got an email saying I had an application status update. I assumed it was just the addition of my transcript to my application since I had dropped it off the day before. But the email has a link that takes you to your application then you need to click on the other link that had the letter.

So I got an email saying I had an application status update. I assumed it was just the addition of my transcript to my application since I had dropped it off the day before. But the email has a link that takes you to your application then you need to click on the other link that had the letter.

Gotcha so that means, an email should be received and it’s not just in the application portal somewhere. It’s great that you heard something from them, though! Good luck! You applied to Columbia too? Any word from them?

Gotcha so that means, an email should be received and it’s not just in the application portal somewhere. It’s great that you heard something from them, though! Good luck! You applied to Columbia too? Any word from them?

I would check your portal anyway. My friend never got a email but happened to check his portal because i told him i was waitlisted and he also was informed via the portal that he was waitlisted, but never received an email from them

I would check your portal anyway. My friend never got a email but happened to check his portal because i told him i was waitlisted and he also was informed via the portal that he was waitlisted, but never received an email from them

I’m on my application portal right now; there’s nothing to click here. Where can I find it?

Hey everyone, got notified that I was accepted into the NYU program Feb 27th around 7:30 pm. I was emailed that there was a status update on my application. I signed in and it was the first thing on the page so I'm assuming that if it doesn't show up then your application is still under review.

Anyone here still taking prerequisites this semester? cuz I'm wondering if that's the reason why I haven't heard anything from NYU.

Anyone here still taking prerequisites this semester? cuz I'm wondering if that's the reason why I haven't heard anything from NYU.

Yeah, I was accepted to both programs and I haven't taken my A&P courses yet.

Also, my Columbia deadline is March 17th

Yeah, I was accepted to both programs and I haven't taken my A&P courses yet.

Also, my Columbia deadline is March 17th

Congratulations for getting accepted into both! Did you apply to the MS Programs or the OTD? Also, do you mind sharing your stats and the date when you applied?

I got accepted to Columbia!!!

FYI I turned my application in like an hour before the deadline, lol.

If it helps at all, there's a good chance I won't be going since cost is such a huge factor for me.

I received updates for both Programs!

NYU: Waitlisted
Columbia: Accepted

I will be attending Columbia. I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
^^ I also got into Columbia! So excited