General Admissions & OTCAS NYU & Columbia 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are all the acceptances above from NYU's MS/OTD program? Or was someone accepted to the MS program?

Members don't see this ad.

Are all the acceptances above from NYU's MS/OTD program? Or was someone accepted to the MS program?
That’s honestly what I was wondering too! I think they’re sending out admissions decisions for the Two-Tiered MS/OTD. I applied to the Professional MS program. Also, the two-tiered program is an entirely different class?

I received an email from Columbia regarding a checklist in December and just received a call and an email about a transcript. She said they’re processing applications still, and I applied in November. Not much of an update but still figured I’d share that info.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I applied for the MS program and got in today.

I was admitted to the MS/OTD program yesterday. Definitely one of my top choices!

hypothetically, would you guys go to NYU's MS/OTD or Columbia's two-year MS program?

Congrats! I think it depends on what you want to get out of it with your current circumstances. Money was a big issue for me so I couldn't do a MS/OTD program. I think I might eventually go get an OTD too but I would need to work first for a couple of years with just the MS and later have enough money to cover for an OTD and hopefully not take out as much loans as I would have to. If money is not an issue, then talking with the faculty and students there might help you decide which program would be the best fit for you.

Congrats to all who got accepted so far! So, no word from Columbia on admissions decisions right? For NYU, I was wondering if the spots for the two-tiered MS/OTD is different from the Professional MS? I mean, are the ones enrolled in the two-tiered program included in the say 50 spots for the entire matriculating class? Don’t know if that makes sense but let me know of your insights! Thanks!

Okay I totally regret not applying earlier now that they’re starting to send out decisions obviously to those who submitted early. *sigh*

I hope everyone in thus forum gets accepted btw!

Based on the website, it doesn't seem like they're different. I was under the impression that with the two tiered, you get your master's first and can go straight into a 3rd year for an OTD or work while getting your OTD part time

According to the website 50 students are accepted for "each class" so that means its separated. 50 students for the MS/PHD and 50 students for just the MS

Hi all i applied to columbia and nyu both on the day of/day before the application was due. I received an email from Columbia feb 9th last friday about my pre-requisite checklist. They also said i have everything except CPR but i remember them saying that is needed prior to matriculation which means prior to starting classes so I think we should be okay in that department.

I haven't heard anything from NYU so I'm trying not to freak myself out although other people have already started to be accepted (AHHHH!)

Im from NYC-this is my second round of applications (last year i was waitlisted at NYU and rejected from Columbia)

Best of luck to us all as we sit on pins and needles!

I really hope NYU means 50 people each class ‘cause if the MS/OTD and MS program were to be 50 people in total for those matriculating this Fall, that means slots are becoming less and less as the days go by.

Okay this might seem like a stupid question but I never got a checklist from Columbia haha should I be concerned at all? Yikes

Hi all i applied to columbia and nyu both on the day of/day before the application was due. I received an email from Columbia feb 9th last friday about my pre-requisite checklist. They also said i have everything except CPR but i remember them saying that is needed prior to matriculation which means prior to starting classes so I think we should be okay in that department.

I haven't heard anything from NYU so I'm trying not to freak myself out although other people have already started to be accepted (AHHHH!)

Im from NYC-this is my second round of applications (last year i was waitlisted at NYU and rejected from Columbia)

Best of luck to us all as we sit on pins and needles!

Good luck!! I can totally to the freaking out part! I just want to know if NYU/Columbia wants me lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay this might seem like a stupid question but I never got a checklist from Columbia haha should I be concerned at all? Yikes

maybe you have everything you need? wouldn't hurt to contact them and make sure your application is in and being processed.

maybe you have everything you need? wouldn't hurt to contact them and make sure your application is in and being processed.

I guess they do have everything that they need from me... has anything changed in the application portal? Like updates and whatnot?

Hello, I am currently an NYU OT student and just to let you guys know one of the professors I was talking to today that is part of the admissions said they just finished the 1st wave of acceptances and are currently working on the 2nd wave.

Also, the Masters program accepts a certain amount of students and the OTD program accepts a certain amount of students. For my particular class we have 55 masters students and about 7 OTD students. The Masters students after their first semester were offered admission to the OTD program if they wanted to, but had to take the GRE if they have not yet taken it. NYU is just starting up there OTD program so they are accepting more and more students year by year for that particular program. Just wanted to let guys know, good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
Hello, I am currently an NYU OT student and just to let you guys know one of the professors I was talking to today that is part of the admissions said they just finished the 1st wave of acceptances and are currently working on the 2nd wave.

Also, the Masters program accepts a certain amount of students and the OTD program accepts a certain amount of students. For my particular class we have 55 masters students and about 7 OTD students. The Masters students after their first semester were offered admission to the OTD program if they wanted to, but had to take the GRE if they have not yet taken it. NYU is just starting up there OTD program so they are accepting more and more students year by year for that particular program. Just wanted to let guys know, good luck!

Wow thank you so so much! How are you liking the program? What does your schedule look like?

I hadn’t heard anything from Columbia in a while so I was getting nervous. I decided to call to check on my application and they were missing two transcripts that I had already sent out in November so definitely Glad I checked. Just an FYI!

Wow thank you so so much! How are you liking the program? What does your schedule look like?

I personally love the program! Professors are great and really want to help you plus NYU is a fun school to go too. In the spring semester at NYU, we are taking 15 credits with 1 credit being an anatomy cadaver lab and the rest being lecture based. Our schedule is manageable so far, but midterms will be coming up soon in a couple weeks so I am sure it will get busy. Fall semester versus spring semester is different so far, meaning fall semester was a lot of week to week quizzes and exams, but this semester is group projects, papers, and exams.

I personally love the program! Professors are great and really want to help you plus NYU is a fun school to go too. In the spring semester at NYU, we are taking 15 credits with 1 credit being an anatomy cadaver lab and the rest being lecture based. Our schedule is manageable so far, but midterms will be coming up soon in a couple weeks so I am sure it will get busy. Fall semester versus spring semester is different so far, meaning fall semester was a lot of week to week quizzes and exams, but this semester is group projects, papers, and exams.

Your comments are so helpful! Thank you. How much does the tuition come out to?

I sent an official copy of my transcript to NYU and was told to call back in a couple days to see if they received it. When I did, the woman I spoke to told me she can't check to see if they received my transcript since she has hundreds to go through.. any idea what i should do? Or who I can email an unofficial copy to?

I sent an official copy of my transcript to NYU and was told to call back in a couple days to see if they received it. When I did, the woman I spoke to told me she can't check to see if they received my transcript since she has hundreds to go through.. any idea what i should do? Or who I can email an unofficial copy to?

Did you check your application portal? If your transcript has been received, it would reflect on there. The Office of Graduate Admissions have been very helpful in my experience when I call them and the same goes for the OT Department. You can call both departments to check in. I don’t think NYU accepts unofficial copies of transcripts but if you feel like you want to send one, I would email it to the OT Department and tell them it’s for their reference. Hope this helps!

I hadn’t heard anything from Columbia in a while so I was getting nervous. I decided to call to check on my application and they were missing two transcripts that I had already sent out in November so definitely Glad I checked. Just an FYI!

Thanks! Was your missing transcript found? I was last in touch with them close to the deadline for part 2 of the application which was January 31st. Hopefully we hear back soon!

Thank you so much for this! Truly appreciate it! Hopefully we (all of us on in this forum) get accepted to the program! Quick question - do you think the admissions committee look at applications based on when these were turned in? I submitted mine on the day of the deadline and I’m just so anxious to hear back. The waiting is the hardest. Do you mind sharing your stats and also when you submitted your application? Thanks!

Thank you so much for this! Truly appreciate it! Hopefully we (all of us on in this forum) get accepted to the program! Quick question - do you think the admissions committee look at applications based on when these were turned in? I submitted mine on the day of the deadline and I’m just so anxious to hear back. The waiting is the hardest. Do you mind sharing your stats and also when you submitted your application? Thanks!

So I asked other students in my class when they applied to when they got accepted and it sounds like it does not matter when you send your application in. I sent my application in mid-December and got accepted the first week of March (2nd wave). Other students that turned their application in right before the deadline got accepted in February. Regarding my stats, I do not specifically remember by cumulative GPA for NYU because it was different from OTCAS. I do remember though it was around a 3.5 cum and my pre-req GPA was like 3.9. I would say NYU looks more at your pre-req GPA than your cumulative GPA which is nice. Also, extracurricular activities help a ton for example I went to Africa for a medical mission trip, a good amount of observation hours, and a lot of other volunteer work. NYU does not do interviews so writing a good essay is huge also!

So I asked other students in my class when they applied to when they got accepted and it sounds like it does not matter when you send your application in. I sent my application in mid-December and got accepted the first week of March (2nd wave). Other students that turned their application in right before the deadline got accepted in February. Regarding my stats, I do not specifically remember by cumulative GPA for NYU because it was different from OTCAS. I do remember though it was around a 3.5 cum and my pre-req GPA was like 3.9. I would say NYU looks more at your pre-req GPA than your cumulative GPA which is nice. Also, extracurricular activities help a ton for example I went to Africa for a medical mission trip, a good amount of observation hours, and a lot of other volunteer work. NYU does not do interviews so writing a good essay is huge also!

Phew! That’s good to know! Thanks! What would you consider to be a good number of observation hours? I did 100 hours (50 in a pediatric sensory gym and another 50 in a skilled nursing facility) I didn’t mention putting in those x amount of hours although I placed volunteering/observing (duration in months) in the resume and talked about it in the essay...

Nope. I went in today actually to submit an official copy of my transcript in person. Any idea how much the tuition ends up being?

This is in reference to NYU right? I honestly don’t know how much the tuition is going to cost but it’s definitely huge. I once read on one of these forums that it’s $1600/credit and it’s 69 credits total; that’s excluding living expenses. Also, that was from a couple years back so I’m sure the price per credit has gone up since then. How was the experience submitting transcripts in person?

This is in reference to NYU right? I honestly don’t know how much the tuition is going to cost but it’s definitely huge. I once read on one of these forums that it’s $1600/credit and it’s 69 credits total; that’s excluding living expenses. Also, that was from a couple years back so I’m sure the price per credit has gone up since then. How was the experience submitting transcripts in person?

I just checked out their website and its 69 credits, per credit the cost is $1,660 which ends up being a total of $114,540 plus the various random fees colleges usually charge:/

I’m super anxious to find out the decisions! Ahhh! Anyway, what are your back ups if OT doesn’t work out? Just curious so that I can research other paths to consider. Thank you in advance for those who will share their insights!

Nope nothing. I think the next wave of acceptances they're gonna send out is gonna be first week of march, judging from the previous threads from last year!

I feel like I’ve been waiting forever haha March will be here in a couple of days anyway! Best of luck to all of us!

I emailed Columbia today with a question about my application and one thing they said is they are sending out decisions "very soon." Not sure what that means but seems like any day now!!

I really have no idea. I kinda felt like the woman was rude but I just kept a smile on and got it over with. I asked when I'd see that my transcript was submitted online and she was all "you're here aren't you? you gave it to me and it was received" *annoyed smile* lol so yeah...

I’m super anxious to find out the decisions! Ahhh! Anyway, what are your back ups if OT doesn’t work out? Just curious so that I can research other paths to consider. Thank you in advance for those who will share their insights!
I luckily don't have to consider a backup plan but id definitely recommend you apply again next cycle if things don't work out this time. Where else did you apply? Some schools are still accepting applications for the fall semester.

I’ve been accepted into NYIT so my backup is going there for OT if nobody else accepts me. I’m anxious as well, i just need to know already!

I only applied to NYU and Columbia haha ooooh congrats on getting into NYIT! My backup plan is to take a Masters in Special Education and then obtain a behavior analyst certification! If anyone was wondering lol

I havn't heard a thing. I sure hope this week was an off week and then hopefully next week or the following they do another round of acceptances. Wishing everyone the best of luck!

I only applied to NYU and Columbia haha ooooh congrats on getting into NYIT! My backup plan is to take a Masters in Special Education and then obtain a behavior analyst certification! If anyone was wondering lol

That is a fantastic plan! I have considered the Special Education and also osteopathic medicine.

just got waitlisted NYU.

they said that applicants who get accepted have 3 weeks to accept the offer and they can accept waitlisted students up until the first week of when school starts. there is no rank order for waitlisted students.

the waiting game continues...

Reactions: 1 users
can i ask what your stats are? i also got waitlisted and im curious to see if our stats are similar. thanks!

Undergraduate: CSU Fullerton
Major: Bachelors in Health Science
Overall GPA: 3.65, graduated with cum laude honors
Prereq GPA: 3.85
GRE: 144 V, 141 Q, 3.0 A (I'm not good at standardized exams)

Work experiences:
Currently working at a local hospital as an admitting representative for the past year
Total of 5 years in retail (customer service)

OT-related volunteer:
100 hrs in an occupational therapy based martial arts program for children, teens, and young adults
50 hrs of shadowing at a pediatrics clinic
40 hrs of shadowing at an upper extremity clinic

Extracurricular/other volunteer:
Peer health educator on campus at CSU Fullerton
Lunchtime exercise activity coordinator for elementary and middle school students
Eta Sigma Gamma (honor society for health science)

What are your stats?

I don't really understand what NYU means when they say there is no rank order. Would you happen to know?

just got waitlisted NYU.

they said that applicants who get accepted have 3 weeks to accept the offer and they can accept waitlisted students up until the first week of when school starts. there is no rank order for waitlisted students.

waitlisted too. hoping for the best for all of us!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got waitlisted for NYU!

just got waitlisted NYU.

Also waitlisted today.

Hey guys! That’s awesome that you guys heard back and that there’s hope! Just curious, did you apply to the Professional MS or the MS/OTD at NYU? Thanks. :)