General Admissions & OTCAS NYU & Columbia 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
zero clue! i wish they would let us know...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I found out through email. I was on the waitlist since 02/22 so exactly 3 months ago from today!

Ok I have some hope then...I've been on the wait list since March. Is your last name at the end of the alphabet by any chance? :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Nice! I was on the waitlist since 2/26! I hope this is a big acceptance week! Congrats again! stay hopeful yall!

Same! Ive been on the waitlist since 2/28 so fingers crossed for all of us!

Im assuming nobody has heard back in the last two weeks? They must be awaiting prereq grades :( Trying not to give up hope i know there has to be more spots they need to fill.

Haven't heard a peep! I hope there are still seats they need filled :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I received a waitlist reconfirmation form through email on Thursday June 21st stating I was still on the waitlist and just confirming if I wanted to stay on their waitlist. Anyone else?

Actually, I received a waitlist reconfirmation form through email on Thursday June 21st stating I was still on the waitlist and just confirming if I wanted to stay on their waitlist. Anyone else?
For Columbia or NYU?

I got a final waitlist form today. I hope everyone else who got in is excited and getting ready for a new journey.

I am an NYU MSOT student; I'm trying to sell some text books. Message me if you're interested!

I was admitted to the MS/OTD program yesterday. Definitely one of my top choices!

hypothetically, would you guys go to NYU's MS/OTD or Columbia's two-year MS program?

if you are interested in mental health, shoulders, being well versed in research and coming out published go to Colombia --- and if you want to finish sooner

If you are interested in peds, hands, and if you want summers off and maybe want to live in Brooklyn (which I love), go to NYU

Got the acceptance email from NYU today! I applied 11/21

Last edited:
I received an acceptance on 2/8/19 as well. I applied 9/17/18.

I applied for the ms program on the deadline and heard back on 2/8. It seems as though nyu really doesn't mind when people apply as long as they do on time!

Waitlisted to NYU on 2/22. Does anyone know when I may start to hear back?

Also waitlisted for NYU. Does anyone know when the deadline is for the admissions decisions? They said after that deadline they will start taking ppl from the weightlist

Still haven't heard anything from either school, anxiously waiting. I submitted my NYU application on September 21st, so I'm kind of surprised that there's been no news.

best of luck!! :) I'm sure they'll send out another wave in the next week or so

I got rejected today so im quite bummed but im still waiting for columbia so hopefully that’s going to be better news. Good luck to anyone else still waiting!

I was also waitlisted at NYU 2/22. Good luck to my fellow waitlistees

Congrats!! do you mind sharing your stats?
University: Rutgers University
Major/Minor: Exercise Science/Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.587
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.9
LOR: 1 OT, 1 professor, 1 former employer

OT observation/volunteering: 130 hours acute-care inpatient, 24 outpatient rehab therapy
Volunteering/Extracurriculars: Campus events for children with disabilities, supporting a school in the Philippines for about a decade, random clubs, college athlete (powerlifting), president of a fitness club
Work: 3 years working in campus gym, 4 months working as a rehab aide (pt/ot outpatient clinic)

I just got my acceptance to NYU!!!! Applied on 12/14

Are there any current students/alums lurking in this thread? I’d love to get some more perspective on the program!

Waitlisted to NYU on 2/27. Got the email around 7 pm to check my application. Don’t appreciate how vague they are with every aspect of the process..

Waitlisted to NYU on 2/27. Got the email around 7 pm to check my application. Don’t appreciate how vague they are with every aspect of the process..
I also just got waitlisted on 2/27. I wish they gave us more information about a specific timeline.

I also just got waitlisted on 2/27. I wish they gave us more information about a specific timeline.
Hello,

I am currently a student at NYU and from my experience the wait list is ongoing. As soon as an accepted students choose another school and a spot is opened up, NYU will contact the next student in line to be accepted. Not sure of the logistics of the wait list like if there is a ranking or literally a physical list of students, but NYU accepts students literally to the last minute before the first day of school so don't lose faith!

I'm a current student at Columbia and 2 days ago they sent a form to fill out if we were interested in being a contact for accepted students! Excited for you guys to hear back! Best of luck! :)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a current student at Columbia and 2 days ago they sent a form to fill out if we were interested in being a contact for accepted students! Excited for you guys to hear back! Best of luck! :)
I just received my acceptance to Columbia! I am pretty sure that I am going to go. How many people are in a cohort? Also, when do you start level 1 fieldworks and how many do you have?

I just received my acceptance to Columbia! I am pretty sure that I am going to go. How many people are in a cohort? Also, when do you start level 1 fieldworks and how many do you have?

Congratulations! :) There's 56 of us in my cohort. We start our level 1 fieldwork in Mental Health during the Spring semester of our first year (it's coming up in three weeks, actually!), level 2 Mental Health fieldwork full time in the summer and during our second year we'll have level 1 Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Physical Disabilities and level 2 Physical Disabilities that summer. There is also an option for a specialty level 2 fieldwork in the fall after your second year.

Hi everybody, i was accepted to both the NYU OT program and the Columbia University OT program, and I would like some help deciding. I'll be putting into consideration things like commute time, job opportunities (networking), and the overall curriculum of the program.

I'll be commuting from Bergen County NJ, and I heard that Columbia would probably be easier for me to reach, so that's a plus for Columbia.

As far as curriculum goes, I heard that the curriculum focus for the programs are different. After doing some research and looking through forums, I learned that Columbia focuses more on the mental health aspect of Occupational Therapy, and rehabilitation focused on the shoulder. NYU on the other hand, I heard focuses more on pediatrics, hand therapy and things pertaining to orthotics.

I was wondering whether this might negatively affect my chances at getting employed in a certain aspect of occupational therapy if i were to choose 1 over the other. Let's say perhaps that one day I want to work in a rehabilitation center. Would getting a degree from Columbia as opposed to NYU lessen my chances at getting employed in a rehabilitation center where the primary patients might be potentially stroke patients that are trying to regain functionality in their hands and upper limbs in general, due to the fact that Columbia's curriculum may (assuming what i heard about the programs are correct) have focused less on hand therapy (and all of orthotics)? And likewise, would attending Columbia give me an edge at obtaining a job in the mental health aspect of occupational therapy, as opposed to someone who attended NYU?

On U.S. news, i see that Columbia is ranked 11 while NYU is ranked 12 for Occupational Therapy programs. For this reason the two can be seen as practically equal. For the Columbia and NYU students lurking around on this forum, please tell me whether you feel like your respective program is preparing you appropriately or not, and any complaints you might have about it. Additionally, do you feel like one program is more prestigious or more highly regarded over the other in the Occupational Therapy world? How is the networking?

Thank you so much for reading, and I appreciate all the responses!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everybody, i was accepted to both the NYU OT program and the Columbia University OT program, and I would like some help deciding. I'll be putting into consideration things like commute time, job opportunities (networking), and the overall curriculum of the program.

I'll be commuting from Bergen County NJ, and I heard that Columbia would probably be easier for me to reach, so that's a plus for Columbia.

As far as curriculum goes, I heard that the curriculum focus for the programs are different. After doing some research and looking through forums, I learned that Columbia focuses more on the mental health aspect of Occupational Therapy, and rehabilitation focused on the shoulder. NYU on the other hand, I heard focuses more on pediatrics, hand therapy and things pertaining to orthotics.

I was wondering whether this might negatively affect my chances at getting employed in a certain aspect of occupational therapy if i were to choose 1 over the other. Let's say perhaps that one day I want to work in a rehabilitation center. Would getting a degree from Columbia as opposed to NYU lessen my chances at getting employed in a rehabilitation center where the primary patients might be potentially stroke patients that are trying to regain functionality in their hands and upper limbs in general, due to the fact that Columbia's curriculum may (assuming what i heard about the programs are correct) have focused less on hand therapy (and all of orthotics)? And likewise, would attending Columbia give me an edge at obtaining a job in the mental health aspect of occupational therapy, as opposed to someone who attended NYU?

On U.S. news, i see that Columbia is ranked 11 while NYU is ranked 12 for Occupational Therapy programs. For this reason the two can be seen as practically equal. For the Columbia and NYU students lurking around on this forum, please tell me whether you feel like your respective program is preparing you appropriately or not, and any complaints you might have about it. Additionally, do you feel like one program is more prestigious or more highly regarded over the other in the Occupational Therapy world? How is the networking?

Thank you so much for reading, and I appreciate all the responses!

Hey there! I currently attend Columbia University’s OT Program. First off, congratulations on your acceptances! Our program does have an emphasis on Mental Health but I don’t think that it will affect the chances of practicing in other fields of OT. We have Level 1 & 2 Mental Health & Physical Disabilities Fieldworks, Level 1’s in Pediatrics, Geriatrics, and an optional specialty fieldwork in your area of choice (pediatrics, hand therapy, etc).

I feel like our program is preparing us to be generalists who are equipped with the skills necessary to succeed. With an emphasis on Mental Health, we’re trained to look at it from a psychological/psychosocial standpoint that really brings out a different and broader approach to OT which I think absolutely amazing!

I don’t think one program is more prestigious than the other in terms of being highly regarded in the OT world.

Congratulations again and best of luck! :)