General Admissions & OTCAS NYU & Columbia 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone heard from the waitlist?!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hii!! Im glad I came across this and saw that you're a current student! Im going to accept my offer for NYU MS program!

is the first and second semester overwhelming/hard? I see that the program gpa for students must be above a 2.5 while most other schools is 3.0.. is this because it is harder/alot of work? Also, do you or any of your classmates have a parttime job one or two days a week?

Thank you for offering to answer questions :)

First off, congratulations! This program is filled with a passionate staff and equally passionate students.

Second, I feel like I came in with an advantage because I had just recently graduated from my Bachelor's last May, so adjusting to the graduate level work/study schedule wasn't as difficult for me compared to some of the other people in my class who are coming back to school after a break or are pursuing OT as a second or third job.
The first semester can be the most intimidating because there are weekly quizzes in at least two classes and exams could start to pile so its all about time management.
The classes in the second semester are a good mix of conceptual/theoretical and practical/hands-on.There are definitely more group projects and papers this semester so it challenges your strengths as a student.
Overall, once you get in to the groove of your schedule and figure out what method of studying works best for you for each class, it's not as overwhelming.

NYU is definitely looking at the applicant as a whole (grades, experience, letters of rec, essay) which may be why the GPA might be a little lower, but I believe when I was looking through these forums while I was applying last year, the average seemed to be a GPA of 3.5.

In terms of employment, I personally work a job where I come in one day a week since we've had Fridays off in the Fall and Spring (which might change) . I know many of my classmates do babysitting so its possible, but again it's making sure you can fit it in your own personal schedule and making sure school/studying is priority.

I hope that was helpful! Please feel free to let me know if there's anything else you're wondering about!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone going to NYU know when we register for fall classes?

I am still on the waitlist for NYU

Reactions: 1 user
I am still on the waitlist for NYU
Same here I continue to pray everyday. We should be hearing back soon in the next two weeks hopefully!

Does anyone know about how many people are on the waitlist?! I was also waitlisted so im just curious

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Who went to Columbia’s new student reception on Saturday? How was it? Any information on what we should be expecting these next couple of months leading up to the start of the Fall semester? I wasn’t able to go so I would really appreciate if any of you who went would respond. Thanks in advance!

Is there a Facebook group for people who are definitely attending NYU?

People who are waisted in NYU! Does anyone here anything from them? The deposit was due 4/15. I am hoping to hear anything this week.

People who are waisted in NYU! Does anyone here anything from them? The deposit was due 4/15. I am hoping to hear anything this week.
I went to their info session on April !0th and found out that they will be sending out official waitlist emails from the admissions office either this week or next week. Thats all the info i got. :/ Praying so much!

Has anyone heard anything from the NYU waitlist?!

Nothing for me either. Im getting really scared that they have not sent out even a "do you wish to remain on the waitlist email" yet!

Last edited:
I received an email today around 5:00 pm to confirm if I want to stay on the waitlist. You have to fax or mail the letter in if you want to or not.

I received an email today around 5:00 pm to confirm if I want to stay on the waitlist. You have to fax or mail the letter in if you want to or not.
Thank you so much for sharing! I wonder why they didn't just send that out to everyone. :( even more scared now

Thank you so much for sharing! I wonder why they didn't just send that out to everyone. :( even more scared now
Of course! Don't worry about it, they are probably just doing it at different times. It's just hard because I am in a school now that starts in May so I would love to know if I can get off the NYU waitlist or not by then!

Of course! Don't worry about it, they are probably just doing it at different times. It's just hard because I am in a school now that starts in May so I would love to know if I can get off the NYU waitlist or not by then!

Thats awesome though! What other school did you get into? And would you mind sharing your stats and volunteer work kind of thing im totally freaking out.

Hey guys! I was on the waitlist on 2/19 for NYU and just got accepted yesterday! To those who are on the waitlist still please don't lose hope cuz I was at a desperate moment where I had my deposit to a program starts at the end of May so I was so anxious about whether I should move on or waited for a bit. It turns out to be worthy! Good luck to everyone!

Also to those who are admitted, does anyone know the date that the program starts and where I can attain more info about the program (class size, % students who passed the board test etc.)? I am still waiting to hear back from USC.

AH Im extra nervous now, since i havent even recieved the "would you like to remain on the waitlist" form yet.... well thanks for sharing. its good to know that they are picking from the waitlist!

Same, I havent received an email whether or not I would like to remain on the waitlist.
AH Im extra nervous now, since i havent even recieved the "would you like to remain on the waitlist" form yet.... well thanks for sharing. its good to know that they are picking from the waitlist!

Me either! I emailed Ginelle and she said they are sending those do you want to remain on the waitlist letters out next week. Congratulations on your acceptance off the waitlist. That gives me hope, but also there is definitely some sort of rank they have set in terms of the waitlist it seems.

Hey guys! I was on the waitlist on 2/19 for NYU and just got accepted yesterday! To those who are on the waitlist still please don't lose hope cuz I was at a desperate moment where I had my deposit to a program starts at the end of May so I was so anxious about whether I should move on or waited for a bit. It turns out to be worthy! Good luck to everyone!

Also to those who are admitted, does anyone know the date that the program starts and where I can attain more info about the program (class size, % students who passed the board test etc.)? I am still waiting to hear back from USC.
Hi! Classes start the day after labor day and I'm pretty sure it's around 50 students. I would recommend emailing the program director or any of the NYU OT department staff members or even calling the department with questions so you get a direct answer from them. Congrats on your acceptance!!

Does anyone who heard back from Columbia know when classes start?

I received the do you want to remain on the waitlist form today at 5:15 from Amanda-Rae Williams! Did anybody else get it today? TRYING SO HARD TO REMAIN HOPEFUL!

AH! i still didn't receive anything... Im getting so anxious!

So I found out through my sister who is an OT that they had an AOTA conference in Utah last week which is probably why they have been a little behind on getting all the waitlist emails out since the 15th. I just wish we had everyone on who applied on this forum so we had a better idea of what their process really is.

Finally received the would you like to remain on the waitlist form lol!

I received the do you want to remain on the waitlist form today at 5:15 from Amanda-Rae Williams! Did anybody else get it today? TRYING SO HARD TO REMAIN HOPEFUL!
From Columbia or NYU??

Classes start Tuesday, September 4 for Columbia!

Awesome! Do you mind sending me important dates leading to the start of classes? I haven’t heard from the OT Department since they sent me an acknowledgment that they received the deposit. Have you? Thanks!

Awesome! Do you mind sending me important dates leading to the start of classes? I haven’t heard from the OT Department since they sent me an acknowledgment that they received the deposit. Have you? Thanks!

I have no idea either so would appreciate any info if you get some!

Hey guys! How do you plan on paying for OT school and the hefty price tag it comes with? I am going out of my mind just thinking about these loans I have to take out. Would appreciate some insight! Thanks!

Any updates on NYU? I haven’t heard anything since the initial waitlist response back in March. I emailed Amanda and she said that I was still on the wait list and that I should hear back in the coming weeks...whenever that is lol.

Nope, I still haven't heard anything, Im thinking they might be waiting for applicants to send updated transcripts.. idk just guessing over here lol bc I know my final grades just got posted for my undergrad so ill be sending those over ASAP

Haven’t heard anything since I got the second email for waitlist.. I emailed again to ask if they got my waitlist response form but nothing.

Same here! Havnt heard anything since i responded to the second do you want to remain on the waitlist email. Good thinking in terms of prereq grades! Soooooo anxious!

does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist? just trying to get an idea of our chances of acceptance!