NYU D1 Complete! AMA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenextcarnegie

D.D.S. Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So since I have finished my first year here I guess I am open to any questions regarding the school!

Also, a few ground rules and some rumors that need to be diminished:
1) No, they don't kick out the bottom 10% of students.
2) Yes, it is expensive; come here only someone is helping you with the living/eating situation (IMO), the burden of loan is heavy without that help.
3) Huge class, teachers can be hard to come by in terms of learning certain skills. However, you need to go out of your way to LEARN. Can't emphasize this enough.
4) Keep it professional and fun!

Let's do this, ask away!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
How have the handled the mental health aspect there?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you having a difficult time balancing school and life? Or maybe school has become your life...What are some tips you can give to future dental students for balancing life and school?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much debt do you estimate to have by the time you graduate?

When is evidence-based and organs going to be posted by? Btw congrats on finishing D1!

Most difficult/challenging class in D1? What was your study habit? Did you study in groups or alone most of the time? Do you know a lot of non-traditional (career changers) in your class?

How much time do you get to explore the city/enjoy it?

What are the exam schedules like? Are tests/quizzes spaced out or all packed into one week?

I heard from a current D1 that the reason NYUCD made the start date earlier this year (July 1) is due to the volume of students saying that there wasn’t enough time to learn so much material (didactics).

Do you know of anyone that has received merit-based scholarships? Curious because I know the Medical Program there is now free.

Do you know of anyone that has received merit-based scholarships? Curious because I know the Medical Program there is now free.
“N.Y.U. said that it had raised more than $450 million of the $600 million that it anticipates will be necessary to finance the tuition plan. About $100 million of that has been contributed by Kenneth G. Langone, the founder of Home Depot, and his wife, Elaine, for whom the medical school is named.”

Until this happens at the dental school, I wouldn’t count on it.

Big Hoss

1. What are the benefits and drawback for attending a dental school in a metropolitan like New York City itself?
2. What made you decide to attend NYU over other dental schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
How have the handled the mental health aspect there?
The school has done absolutely nothing in regards to mental health, to be honest. They have offered support and counselors, but that's your typical postgraduate offering. I hope this year working with the student government and as a class together we can move forward to make this an improved aspect at the school.

Are you having a difficult time balancing school and life? Or maybe school has become your life...What are some tips you can give to future dental students for balancing life and school?

The school has become my life, many of my friends have become like family to me. I am not having a tough time adjusting too badly; although the first semester did give me a run for my money in terms of how much we had to learn. Honestly, I would study hard, work hard, and then relax as best as you can. Find a hobby outside dental school (i.e. for me its the gym) and learn to enjoy the process!

How much debt do you estimate to have by the time you graduate?

I am looking at about 360-380k prior to interest. With interest probably 450k (might be an overshoot, though.)I am lucky enough to have funding on living and food costs; so I save quite a bit there.

When is evidence-based and organs going to be posted by? Btw congrats on finishing D1!

You too! And who knows, as long as we pass that's what matters!

Most difficult/challenging class in D1? What was your study habit? Did you study in groups or alone most of the time? Do you know a lot of non-traditional (career changers) in your class?

This was definitely head and neck anatomy; that class was a total haussy. I mainly went over the information 2 to 3 times; reciting it in my head until I understood it or memorized it. I learned a lot and haven't forgotten much, but the hours poured over the books and slideshows was way too much to count! And I definitely know of a few engineers (20ish) who worked for a bit and then came to school. I studied on my own with a group of close friends, if I had a question I would ask but mainly we would put on our headphones and just do our own thing. Then we would get together on like Fridays and talk everything out.

How much time do you get to explore the city/enjoy it?

We get enough time to explore at the beginning of school. I would say you have to make time to really enjoy it but the weekends after you put a few hours of work in, you can still have enough time to explore it! I have seen a good chunk of midtown, LES, etc. Still so much to explore!

Reactions: 1 users
What are the exam schedules like? Are tests/quizzes spaced out or all packed into one week?

I heard from a current D1 that the reason NYUCD made the start date earlier this year (July 1) is due to the volume of students saying that there wasn’t enough time to learn so much material (didactics).
So for this year, it was a very spread like exam schedule, some months would be super busy and others would be empty and give us enough time to study. Also in those empty months, we had enough time to explore the city. And yes that is true but also it is for preparation for the new boards. They cram didactics into you like no other! The new d1 class will have quite the adjustment.

Piggybacking on this, are you nervous about paying back your loans? What are your plans following graduation? Has your projected loan balance affected these plans and how?

Big Hoss

Hey Hoss! Glad to see you are still here. Yeah, I am a little bit nervous paying back my loans. But with anything in life, one must be calm and collected, others in similar situations have done this before and I am sure I can do the same (albeit with massive changes to lifestyle.) I plan to work for a few years under my mentor (a general dentist in the area that I am from) and then open up a practice. I am going with the aggressive payment program; maxing out most of my paycheck to the loan, living with my parents, and seeing where it goes from there. Estimated loan balance for the minimum was sitting at like ~2.5 to 3k. I decided to go the more aggressive route at like 8k/month (96k a yr) because I really want to kill it out. But again, this is all a dream, I have to see how much I earn, taxes, and go from there. I might also refinance both loans and make it under one payor, but need to do some further research on this. I plan not to save for retirement either because my main and only focuses are to get faster in the clinic and pay this damn debt off. Hope that answers your question!

There are are a few, but you need a very high DAT and GPA. However, I would even go to say its not necessarily merit-based but need-based. But for that, you need again the high scores.

What was the total cost of D1?
95k for the first year.

1. What are the benefits and drawback for attending a dental school in a metropolitan like New York City itself?
2. What made you decide to attend NYU over other dental schools?

Benefits are patient population is huge. Lots of famous and innovative doctors come to give talks and if you take the opportunity to learn from them, I think you will highly benefit from them. Drawbacks, as I mentioned, are the high students to low faculty ratio, having to stand out and getting to know people is key if you want to survive.

Honestly, I was only accepted to two other schools. But I was accepted too late by that point, and I couldn't back out from my lease and other commitments. It wasn't enough time for me to research the specific areas and recommit. Thus, I choose to stick to the school that believed in me first.

Reactions: 4 users

To add on to what the OP already said, head and neck anatomy was the most difficult class first semester and for second semester I would have to say craniofacial biology since the final exam was pretty tough and not much people got As in that class.

Are instructors hard on people who are not talented or gifted in the clinical part?

Are instructors hard on people who are not talented or gifted in the clinical part?

I'm not in the clinic so I can't speak to that. In pre-clinic, yes they can be but not if you aren't gifted or talented. IF you are lazy and don't put in work then yes (100%), but if you ask for help and say you want to learn then they are very approachable. You just have to have confidence and the desire to learn.

Why are N.Y bagels and slices of NY cheese pizza so good?

Man, I wish I knew! Where I live there is like 4 bagel and 2 pizza shops on the way to school. It's so tempting to just get them :/

Are your classmates as concerned with dealing with the debt as you are or are most oblivious to what they’re getting themselves into?
Your debt load is not bad for NYU

Do the dental students take classes with the medical students? or nursing?

How many kids did they kick out? lol

Yeah, what the guy said; 1 in the past like 3 years.

Are your classmates as concerned with dealing with the debt as you are or are most oblivious to what they’re getting themselves into?
Your debt load is not bad for NYU

Most are not sure how to deal with it or are oblivious to it if I am honest. But there is a handful that does know what they are facing in the upcoming years.

Do dental students take classes with medical students? or nursing?

Nope, we have a completely separate curriculum from everyone! The only thing we share with Nursing is the library.

I’m sure asking students to repeat and them not willing to do that doesn’t count as kicking out but it might as well be.

Lots of people repeat the year.

Really? I heard they kick more people out. I'm kind of surprised.

We had about 5 students from the year prior that had to repeat the year. Only one left after that. Kicking wise we actually haven't had one in a long time as far as I know.

How is the grading system (P/F)? curves or no?
I am curious about IPE there. How is it different from traditional classroom education and is there any good/bad things about it?

I'm going, to be honest here; I have heard of IPE education in 3rd and 4th year but as of 1st we haven't had any experience about it. So I can't really comment. Maybe in a future thread.

Is it true that there’s someone at NYU who is affiliated with/writes the boards? That’s what I heard, aka why the curriculum is being revamped so NYU students have an edge.

How did the dental students react when they found out the medical students were going to get a full ride?

Is it true that there’s someone at NYU who is affiliated with/writes the boards? That’s what I heard, aka why the curriculum is being revamped so NYU students have an edge.

That would be Dr. Spielman.

He's on a sabbatical this year - you'll see him next year.

a bit concerned about the classes like embryology and Neuroscience that have one exam worth 100% of the grade.. are students complaining about this?

How are you going to pay those loans back? I am sure your interest rate is more than 6.65% because of grad plus. Did you do the math on compounding interest?

a bit concerned about the classes like embryology and Neuroscience that have one exam worth 100% of the grade.. are students complaining about this?

Yep. This was a change for some of the courses for D1. Many of D2 courses were moved to D1.

Having one exam is not really an issue. It shouldn't be an issue - why would it? Just study as you should. These courses are not long. But of course, there are students complaining.

What students complain about more is the number of credits assigned to them. Each of them is 1 (neuro was 0.5 until the week of the exam). The workload of embryo was definitely doable. Neuro, though, is a kick in the nuts. Even for one credit, it's A LOT of material. We have a course to evaluate peers - and that's 1.5 credits. It's a joke.

If you study, you'll be fine.

I posted this somewhere else in the forums:

There is a huge revamp in the courses for D1 this year and it's a disaster. Faculties sometimes don't know their own lecture times (ex. there was one lecture at 8AM when the instructor didn't appear to the lecture, lol), courses are dissected and offered as separate courses, etc. The workload and difficulty have definitely gone up at NYU than before.

We have so far confirmed about 40 students who will have to repeat the year (not remediate. they failed the year) and 50+ who will have to remediate a course. These numbers are only up to the end of last semester. This semester will have more, with some of the difficult courses moved from D2 to D1.

Support for dental students is minimal. Overcrowded study spaces. Some faculties think the students are all *****s. The dean of academics, Smithey, is a complete nutcase - she has no respect for the students.

If you are coming to NYU, be prepared. I am not kidding.

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Yep. This was a change for some of the courses for D1. Many of D2 courses were moved to D1.

Having one exam is not really an issue. It shouldn't be an issue - why would it? Just study as you should. These courses are not long. But of course, there are students complaining.

What students complain about more is the number of credits assigned to them. Each of them is 1 (neuro was 0.5 until the week of the exam). The workload of embryo was definitely doable. Neuro, though, is a kick in the nuts. Even for one credit, it's A LOT of material. We have a course to evaluate peers - and that's 1.5 credits. It's a joke.

There is a huge revamp in the courses for D1 this year and it's a disaster. Faculties sometimes don't know their own lecture times (ex. there was one lecture at 8AM when the instructor didn't appear to the lecture, lol), courses are dissected and offered as separate courses, etc. The workload and difficulty have definitely gone up at NYU than before.

We have so far confirmed about 40 students who will have to repeat the year (not remediate. they failed the year) and 50+ who will have to remediate a course. These numbers are only up to the end of last semester. This semester will have more, with some of the difficult courses moved from D2 to D1.

Support for dental students is minimal. Overcrowded study spaces. Some faculties think the students are all *****s. The dean of academics, Smithey, is a complete nutcase - she has no respect for the students.

why did so many students have to repeat the year?What are the policies for that?

holy ****. Please update us with the numbers after spring semester

This is crazy. You’ll be paying close to $1M for that?

why did so many students have to repeat the year?What are the policies for that?

Course policies are all the same.

59.4 and below is a fail. Must repeat the full year.
59.5 - 69.4 is remediation.

I'm not trying to scare you. It's difficult but more than doable if you put in the time as you should.

That’s 100k in extra loans for every person..........

Reactions: 1 users
I just asked 2 other NYU friends and they confirmed what @Punt me was saying. I guess not even the students know what’s going on. But If its 5-6 for the Silly ethics course I’m 100% sure there’s more for the anatomy and and cell bio courses or whatever else that are notorious for failing peeps.

Had a good friend who started dental school my year at NYU fail out and doing something else now.
He told me NYU gave zero support and didn’t care at all. If it were me, I would avoid this school.

Yep. We have microbio, neurobio, and gen.patho exams coming up and apparently they all did a good job of failing students last year in D2.

We got all that in the next 3 months.

I just asked 2 other NYU friends and they confirmed what @Punt me was saying. I guess not even the students know what’s going on. But If its 5-6 for the Silly ethics course I’m 100% sure there’s more for the anatomy and and cell bio courses or whatever else that are notorious for failing peeps.

Had a good friend who started dental school my year at NYU fail out and doing something else now.
He told me NYU gave zero support and didn’t care at all. If it were me, I would avoid this school.

I imagine these are people that don’t study though.. or go out and party on the weekends? I could just be making wrong assumptions but with a class that large there’s bound to be a group of slackers?

I imagine these are people that don’t study though.. or go out and party on the weekends? I could just be making wrong assumptions but with a class that large there’s bound to be a group of slackers?
If NYU had somewhat respectable admissions standards there's no way they could fail out that many people. Their average gpa for accepted students is 3.07 which means roughly half of those accepted have a gpa below that. For comparison, Iowa's average incoming GPA is a 3.75.

If NYU had somewhat respectable admissions standards there's no way they could fail out that many people. Their average gpa for accepted students is 3.07 which means roughly half of those accepted have a gpa below that. For comparison, Iowa's average incoming GPA is a 3.75.
No way it can’t be that low. Is that what the area guide says?