NYU D1 Complete! AMA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Student loan planner is a genius I follow his articles and have seen podcasts with him. In terms of 4-7% annual tuition increase tuition; for the entering class of 2020 through the entering class of 2024 the tuition has been maintained at 94k fees included. This is by no means a good deal but it also isn’t the 650k people make it out to be, esp if one can save on Living costs or commute and live with a parent. Loans will accrue interest as soon as Dental school starts, but this is the case for any graduate study loans and when ones earning a pay check there’s numerous routes to take to pay these loans. Everybody’s experience will be different, but setting a standard and advertising a 650k price tag just isn’t right or accurate in my opinion.

How did you find out there is no tuition increase from 2020-2024? Is this confirmed?

Members don't see this ad.

Student loan planner said he was seeing around $550,000 for the class of 2017 and he now projects it will be around $673,000 for the class of 2023 without any financial help.
Careful! You’ll spook the predents.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
How did you find out there is no tuition increase from 2020-2024? Is this confirmed?

There's absolutely no way there will be no tuition increase. Especially after the pandemic, schools are heavily in the red with clinics being closed down. Tuition will go up, guaranteed, probably by a heavy amount.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
dude as a current NYUCD student, I'm already scared sh*tless from the very probable increase. Once enrolled they can throw anything at us. Praying they will increase it for incoming c/o 2024 :) :) :) :) and spare current students :xf:

dude as a current NYUCD student, I'm already scared sh*tless from the very probable increase. Once enrolled they can throw anything at us. Praying they will increase it for incoming c/o 2024 :) :) :) :) and spare current students :xf:

Not only they will increase this year, but they will increase every year after until you graduate. So you will be sh*less four times at NYUCD. Your first will feel like being toilet trained compared to the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
haha you're right. im preaching to the thread for the NYU dental c/o 2024. Maybe you should share your expertise there as well :).

LOL big hoss, took a month or so break from this site for my own peace of mind/recuperation. Love how you're laying the law down consistently. Don't know how you have the patience and wherewithal.

Appreciate the chuckle. Yea, it is frustrating having to defend your truthful comments as to why NYUCD is not A) financially viable B) currently a school one should attend C) run by competent administrators.

A lot are grateful and seem to heed the message, but those indignant few who retort with their steadfast determination full of fallacies and lack of experience. We are only trying to help you guys. A lot of work is being done behind the scenes for some reform, but it is, potentially, futile if everyone still goes to NYUCD knowing the reality.
I appreciate it, and we're doing what we can. It is safe to say, we have did our part to inform the uninformed. Your post could not have been said any better. Respect

Not a problem at all. I favor a authentic conversation always. You can really tell who is on SDN trolling or simply spreading falsehoods and irrational fallacies. We are doing what we can hopefully some will take other opportunities.

Its a tough journey of unprecedented experiences, not sure what else I can say.

Sure, anytime hmu whenever.

I left the forums for a while, and I come back to a lot of negativity on the thread I started. So let's clear up some misconceptions. NYU is a tough environment, no doubt. But New York City is difficult for a lot of people to adjust to, you can ask any banker or anyone in the industry.

The biggest and only concern you should have regarding NYU is the cost. It is A LOT. Like as @Big Time Hoosier has mentioned, do the calculations, sit down with a loan planner, and see where you are in terms of finances! I CANNOT STRESS this enough. Some people come from different backgrounds, some have scholarships (i.e. Armed Forces, NHSC, etc.)

The school is probably not the best if you are someone that is sensitive to criticism, but I think that's with all dental schools. It really is a process of breaking you down mentally, and shaping you into a clinician. I think this is an issue state-wide. No dental school has been able to master how they take care of there students. If so, please show me that they, and I will rescind this statement.

Also, I feel like the person who was attacking NYU is one of my classmates that are bitter with the way they have handled the coronavirus situation, but to be frank, which school has handled it well? Very few. I think these are very unprecedented times, and since this has now happened, schools will know how to approach situations like this in the near future (hopefully it doesn't happen again).

My biggest advice to you is THIS for anyone reading. Go to any dental school, pick the cheapest one if you can. If you can't and NYU is your only option and your deadset on dentistry, then go ahead. If you can afford to do another cycle of AADSAS, then maybe reapply and try again. Dental school sucks (statewide), there isn't one dental school that doesn't have anything negative about it. Dental school isn't about really teaching you how real-world dentistry is, that's a different ball game. Dental school is there to teach you the basics and to get you accredited. That's it. The experience is up to you, the friends you make and the professional connections you make are going to be the key differentiators.

NYU is like any other dental school out there, just a bigger school. But remember, EVERY school has its issue(s). It's easier to be negative online than positive. And I hope you guys see that dental school is not easy, it is heart-wrenchingly difficult for 90% of people. It has a different set of stressors and challenges, but by the end of it, you are entering a stable and promising career. So please really consider whether or not dentistry is for you and then read what I said above. Best of luck to everybody; if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, I am always here to help!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
sadly no. message me, i know dental students/pre dental students love rumors and cannot dictate the truth ever and end up playing telephone amongst 400 clueless souls.

I know enough about nyu from about 2011-present. scandals, drama, etc. I still suggest no one go there. Especially now. I was president of ASDA/involved in the schools student gov and organized dentistry at NYCDS, do not go.
Can you message me? It doesn’t let me message you.

The biggest and only concern you should have regarding NYU is the cost. It is A LOT. Like as @Big Time Hoosier has mentioned, do the calculations, sit down with a loan planner, and see where you are in terms of finances! I CANNOT STRESS this enough. Some people come from different backgrounds, some have scholarships (i.e. Armed Forces, NHSC, etc.)
Do you have any knowledge of merit-based or need-based scholarships from NYU?

The school is probably not the best if you are someone that is sensitive to criticism, but I think that's with all dental schools. It really is a process of breaking you down mentally, and shaping you into a clinician. I think this is an issue state-wide. No dental school has been able to master how they take care of there students. If so, please show me that they, and I will rescind this statement.
If people are getting their "feelings hurt" in dental school they should rethink the profession.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you message me? It doesn’t let me message you.

Don't bother PMing him, his message is incoherent, irrelevant, and practically pointless propaganda.

I know because, I PM'd the guy who he had been messaging and said could share his message on the main NYU 2024 page.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't bother PMing him, his message is incoherent, irrelevant, and practically pointless propaganda.

I know because, I PM'd the guy who he had been messaging and said could share his message on the main NYU 2024 page.
Is it posted in the fb page? Haven’t seen it

Is it posted in the fb page? Haven’t seen it

Nah, he said on the NYU forum in predent that he could provide some scholarship advice, but only to the first guy who asked, and for that guy to share it with the rest of us because he was too busy. I PM'd him and got all the info, so whoever PM'd him probably got the info too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, he said on the NYU forum in predent that he could provide some scholarship advice, but only to the first guy who asked, and for that guy to share it with the rest of us because he was too busy. Whoever PM'd him probably got the info.

Seems like this guy is rambling. He is kind of incoherent, I would take everything he says with a grain of salt.

NYU gets a lot of hate, but lets be honest, it is CODA accredited, it cannot be that bad. NYU just happens to have a lot of students who didn't get in anywhere else (bottom-barrel level applicants)-not saying this to be mean, just being straightforward. Those students, since they aren't of the highest caliber to begin with, have a lot of academic difficulty, and some even fail out. This leads to a lot of crazy stories being told about NYU which are probably mostly exaggerated. Every dental school has its issues, so its to be expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
It didn't say, but it felt like it was written by a high schooler. These are exact quotes.

"X is a good person. a great person.

X is my uber driver. Jokes aside, he is a very friendly and approachable guy.

X is one of most nicest persons i have had the pleasure to meet. Always so polite and helpful."

Yeah we have to do that every year unfortunately and not much people put in effort into them anyways since the course is 0.5 to 1 credit max most the time lol. So lots of people just write very little to just pass and get it completed since most of the time we have much more important things to attend too.

I just found it funny how a question about scholarships somehow turned into "don't go to nyu, trust me, check out my peer review" then you have to read this lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
nyu definitely has a lot of scandals, I have heard many unkind things said about that school from nyu students themselves. plus it's like top 5 most expensive schools in the world, so I would put a lot of thought into whether or not you really want to go there

I don't doubt it. I take it he was kicked out or something?

Well, this is quite interesting. I talked to DentGent13 earlier to clear some concerns I had with his post. I don't intend to sling mud and make this into a battle of meaningless posts (like the entirety of this website, some exceptions exist). Firstly, I wanted to post the actual review (redacted my name) so you can see that it is not as abbreviated and clumsy as DentGent13 had originally described. Secondly, I don't understand what is construed as propaganda and incoherence. My grammar was probably off and was definitely not Shakespeare-esque.

1593070655446.png

These are the exact quotes. I only cared to add this so you can have some confidence in my advice. I know it's not what any of you pre-dents want. But, sometimes, you all have to listen to what is being told to you by those who have gone thru the process already.

Moreover, he only adds a bit of my prose without A) context and B) the entirety of the thread. I basically said race matters for these scholarships. You need to be of a race that is from an underprivileged/socioeconomically compromised area. in before claims of racism etc, look at youtube or NYUCD's site, they have a program specifically targeting students of this demographic for a weekend lab series to familiarize college students about dentistry and NYU's offerings.
Now, take this for whatever it is worth, but the person I texted was a very involved student in student affairs, one or two dental fraternities and a peer mentor. She's a very thoughtful and meticulous student now turned resident. She sacrificed a ton of time trying to help students meet grade requirements/challenge academic disciplinary issues if there were grounds to. I am not going to give the identity/prove these claims for the same reason.

Just please trust me.

Additionally, while I stated to the first individual I had intended to have disperse the advice I gave (which I stated was concise and apologized if it wasn't exactly the help they wanted. I had said in the thread I do not have the details or criterion for successfully obtaining the scholarship etc, but my advice was sincere in that the racial parameter is the first and most important determinant. That advice would, effectively, eliminate a lot of you.

And, while financial aptitude is the most important thing I preach to you all, having one less deadline to worry about is worth it for the 3 minutes it took to read my post. I apologized if I was seen as rambling/incoherent in the thread to the individual I messaged. I had many deadlines that are tremendously important to me and while it didn't take long to write that message, I was also not really worried about the optics.

I also have, despite some academic issues with didactic courses while I was injured, I have passed the boards, cdca, and gotten into 4 residency programs (GPR). I was also our ASDA president and the ambassador to the new york county dental society and went on to organized dentistry for our district. Some other crap too, but I believe the message is clear.

"Don't bother PMing him, his message is incoherent, irrelevant, and practically pointless propaganda."

I will Give DentGent13 the incoherent remark. It was definitely a hurried,frantic message for which I acknowledge and apologized. I had a deadline literally the next day for some legal issue and I had been waiting all day for the attorney to email the finished documents. Ended up coming in the next day, anyway. So, bear in mind I was not my most chill.

But irrelevant and pointless propaganda are just blatantly false. Are you going to believe someone who has no clue about the university or someone who has been there, been involved in the school's political/internal governing affairs and is involved with the ADPAC currently (can submit my contract or whatever email from Michael Graham), and is aware of a few cases regarding violation of civil rights act, title 4 and title 6 and the DOJ/DOE. Basically, a few schools are in some type of investigation brought on by both faculty and students for a multitude of reasons. NYUCD and Tufts (other private schools, too) are the biggest culprits of misusing funds for the purpose of promoting diversity thru giving these scholarships. This is not allowed by law. You can google the info; it's beyond the scope of this thread. Regardless, this is totally RELEVANT and NOT PROPAGANDA as the ADEA/CODA do an audit and tabulate the entire expenditures of each university (coding each with a separate ID to not reveal the identity). You can clearly tell from that data the amount of aid that goes per each race. Yes, race. they take racial bio-data (lawfully required) to determine the gender/race/year and a slew of other categories. It's more involved than this, but this kind of data helps certain governmental regulatory agencies that audit these institutions determine the scope of the situation. It is very complicated and something that has been worked on by some students/faculty/outside folk for some time. Also, it is at a few schools were these claims of federal funds abuse have been made. When you threaten a school's ability to maintain it's cash flow (remember how the university is able to fund students) you weaken it. This is why schools are draconian in their policy determinations and will be vicious in silencing anyone that dares challenge the status quo of these money-hungry deans.

How you can disagree with this claim, when the entirety of it suggests I am clearly helping you all in a realistic, financial sense for the scholarship issue and also by trying to actually do something for once to change the dynamic of this career/academic process. We complain and complain, but feel powerless because what is the best recourse? Well, a bunch of brave souls have attempted to try and do something, be it at tufts, nyu, penn, bu, uop, unlv or temple etc.

The thread I had with dentgent is more or less the same. I went into more detail here. Again, he or she was not disrespectful in our private message and I appreciate the individual's restraint in revealing the review with my name, though it would have displayed the entire and truthful initial message.

I apologized to the first fella who messaged me, jackmasterofall, and maybe he did not share the entire thread. I have no idea. but, maybe this game of telephone was messed up with sharing only a select section of my post. I assume he had the entire thread I sent jack, but again who knows why it happened, but it's best for the truth to be shared for all of us to profit. My reputation is restored, I hope, and incorrect/incomplete information is remedied.

I do hope you incoming d1s understand patience and respect the folk who try to message you here. Initially, I was a bit peeved with dentgent, but I am quick to calm. I wasn't in his/her situation when the posts were submitted, but I hope publicly correcting incorrect statements will serve you all.

The don't go to nyu part became part of the message, because, literally everyone tells you not to go to NYU. I am sure you all are aware of what's going on. Everyone from nyu who has posted here has either called the admin/university out for some scandalous behavior or lack of accommodation/clarity and leadership with the program. I personally know half the group practice directors leaving in bewteen my nine month medical leave in 2017 to 2018. A bunch of other more tenured/senior faculty were telling me to get out quick, and they were not joking. Again, this is just faculty on the clinic floor, but look at the exodus in leadership with both wolff and hershkowitz leaving. Hersh also got wrecked by the Dr. Park lawsuit against his racist hiring practices. I know a few students who are white (and one Indian girl) who were hired to full time faculty only after two years or directly from graduation (one person). This is against the policy for hiring which can be found in the attachments below if you want to read them. I attached all the ones I could find so no one can find a way to dismiss the claims I made about the full-time vs part-time hiring practices. Usually, if the top brass flees, you know something is to ensue. But, anyway, it's late. Good night all.

Yeah we have to do that every year unfortunately and not much people put in effort into them anyways since the course is 0.5 to 1 credit max most the time lol. So lots of people just write very little to just pass and get it completed since most of the time we have much more important things to attend too.

Attachments

• Inkedphoto_2020-06-25_02-34-20_LI.jpg
    Inkedphoto_2020-06-25_02-34-20_LI.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 201
  • PoliciesProcedures_FT_APT.pdf
    204.2 KB · Views: 175
  • tenure.JPG
    tenure.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 11.1.19_Faculty_HandbookCLEAN1.pdf
    728.7 KB · Views: 112
  • PoliciesProcedures_ContinuingContractFaculty.pdf
    111.1 KB · Views: 74
Well, this is quite interesting. I talked to DentGent13 earlier to clear some concerns I had with his post. I don't intend to sling mud and make this into a battle of meaningless posts (like the entirety of this website, some exceptions exist). Firstly, I wanted to post the actual review (redacted my name) so you can see that it is not as abbreviated and clumsy as DentGent13 had originally described. Secondly, I don't understand what is construed as propaganda and incoherence. My grammar was probably off and was definitely not Shakespeare-esque.

View attachment 310973
These are the exact quotes. I only cared to add this so you can have some confidence in my advice. I know it's not what any of you pre-dents want. But, sometimes, you all have to listen to what is being told to you by those who have gone thru the process already.

Moreover, he only adds a bit of my prose without A) context and B) the entirety of the thread. I basically said race matters for these scholarships. You need to be of a race that is from an underprivileged/socioeconomically compromised area. in before claims of racism etc, look at youtube or NYUCD's site, they have a program specifically targeting students of this demographic for a weekend lab series to familiarize college students about dentistry and NYU's offerings.
Now, take this for whatever it is worth, but the person I texted was a very involved student in student affairs, one or two dental fraternities and a peer mentor. She's a very thoughtful and meticulous student now turned resident. She sacrificed a ton of time trying to help students meet grade requirements/challenge academic disciplinary issues if there were grounds to. I am not going to give the identity/prove these claims for the same reason.

Just please trust me.

Additionally, while I stated to the first individual I had intended to have disperse the advice I gave (which I stated was concise and apologized if it wasn't exactly the help they wanted. I had said in the thread I do not have the details or criterion for successfully obtaining the scholarship etc, but my advice was sincere in that the racial parameter is the first and most important determinant. That advice would, effectively, eliminate a lot of you.

And, while financial aptitude is the most important thing I preach to you all, having one less deadline to worry about is worth it for the 3 minutes it took to read my post. I apologized if I was seen as rambling/incoherent in the thread to the individual I messaged. I had many deadlines that are tremendously important to me and while it didn't take long to write that message, I was also not really worried about the optics.

I also have, despite some academic issues with didactic courses while I was injured, I have passed the boards, cdca, and gotten into 4 residency programs (GPR). I was also our ASDA president and the ambassador to the new york county dental society and went on to organized dentistry for our district. Some other crap too, but I believe the message is clear.

"Don't bother PMing him, his message is incoherent, irrelevant, and practically pointless propaganda."

I will Give DentGent13 the incoherent remark. It was definitely a hurried,frantic message for which I acknowledge and apologized. I had a deadline literally the next day for some legal issue and I had been waiting all day for the attorney to email the finished documents. Ended up coming in the next day, anyway. So, bear in mind I was not my most chill.

But irrelevant and pointless propaganda are just blatantly false. Are you going to believe someone who has no clue about the university or someone who has been there, been involved in the school's political/internal governing affairs and is involved with the ADPAC currently (can submit my contract or whatever email from Michael Graham), and is aware of a few cases regarding violation of civil rights act, title 4 and title 6 and the DOJ/DOE. Basically, a few schools are in some type of investigation brought on by both faculty and students for a multitude of reasons. NYUCD and Tufts (other private schools, too) are the biggest culprits of misusing funds for the purpose of promoting diversity thru giving these scholarships. This is not allowed by law. You can google the info; it's beyond the scope of this thread. Regardless, this is totally RELEVANT and NOT PROPAGANDA as the ADEA/CODA do an audit and tabulate the entire expenditures of each university (coding each with a separate ID to not reveal the identity). You can clearly tell from that data the amount of aid that goes per each race. Yes, race. they take racial bio-data (lawfully required) to determine the gender/race/year and a slew of other categories. It's more involved than this, but this kind of data helps certain governmental regulatory agencies that audit these institutions determine the scope of the situation. It is very complicated and something that has been worked on by some students/faculty/outside folk for some time. Also, it is at a few schools were these claims of federal funds abuse have been made. When you threaten a school's ability to maintain it's cash flow (remember how the university is able to fund students) you weaken it. This is why schools are draconian in their policy determinations and will be vicious in silencing anyone that dares challenge the status quo of these money-hungry deans.

How you can disagree with this claim, when the entirety of it suggests I am clearly helping you all in a realistic, financial sense for the scholarship issue and also by trying to actually do something for once to change the dynamic of this career/academic process. We complain and complain, but feel powerless because what is the best recourse? Well, a bunch of brave souls have attempted to try and do something, be it at tufts, nyu, penn, bu, uop, unlv or temple etc.

The thread I had with dentgent is more or less the same. I went into more detail here. Again, he or she was not disrespectful in our private message and I appreciate the individual's restraint in revealing the review with my name, though it would have displayed the entire and truthful initial message.

I apologized to the first fella who messaged me, jackmasterofall, and maybe he did not share the entire thread. I have no idea. but, maybe this game of telephone was messed up with sharing only a select section of my post. I assume he had the entire thread I sent jack, but again who knows why it happened, but it's best for the truth to be shared for all of us to profit. My reputation is restored, I hope, and incorrect/incomplete information is remedied.

I do hope you incoming d1s understand patience and respect the folk who try to message you here. Initially, I was a bit peeved with dentgent, but I am quick to calm. I wasn't in his/her situation when the posts were submitted, but I hope publicly correcting incorrect statements will serve you all.

The don't go to nyu part became part of the message, because, literally everyone tells you not to go to NYU. I am sure you all are aware of what's going on. Everyone from nyu who has posted here has either called the admin/university out for some scandalous behavior or lack of accommodation/clarity and leadership with the program. I personally know half the group practice directors leaving in bewteen my nine month medical leave in 2017 to 2018. A bunch of other more tenured/senior faculty were telling me to get out quick, and they were not joking. Again, this is just faculty on the clinic floor, but look at the exodus in leadership with both wolff and hershkowitz leaving. Hersh also got wrecked by the Dr. Park lawsuit against his racist hiring practices. I know a few students who are white (and one Indian girl) who were hired to full time faculty only after two years or directly from graduation (one person). This is against the policy for hiring which can be found in the attachments below if you want to read them. I attached all the ones I could find so no one can find a way to dismiss the claims I made about the full-time vs part-time hiring practices. Usually, if the top brass flees, you know something is to ensue. But, anyway, it's late. Good night all.
I'm convinced. I appreciate that you took the time to explain everything. Now I'm definitely not paying my secondary fee.

I'm convinced. I appreciate that you took the time to explain everything. Now I'm definitely not paying my secondary fee.
Wow, thank you for that man. Kinda felt a bit defeated. Not really down or upset but a little flat. Thanks for your time reading the post. I am trying to be more concise you know. It is hard because there's a lot to post and report as I have dug deep and all for some time. Regardless, keeps the momentum going. Cheers and best of luck, hope I can help somehow.

Reactions: 2 users