NYU Internal Medicine AMA (Ask me anything)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:wtf: so, in essence, will you be a NYU Primary Care track resident graduating with a NYU categorical track diploma while using NYU Lutheran as your primary clinical site?
No - next year's PGY-1 class will be the last categorical class at Lutheran. That class will only have 7 spots and will be integrated into the NYU School of Medicine categorical program. You won't be a "primary care track" resident if you apply for the upcoming year (2017-2018).

Members don't see this ad.

No - next year's PGY-1 class will be the last categorical class at Lutheran. That class will only have 7 spots and will be integrated into the NYU School of Medicine categorical program. You won't be a "primary care track" resident if you apply for the upcoming year (2017-2018).

I know nothing of the situation but I have an extremely hard time believing that residents that were at Lutheran will all of a sudden be merged with the NYU categorical program. Just to confrim you're saying that in 2017-2018 the pgy1's will Be Lutheran categorical residents, then for the following 2 yrs they will be apart of the NYU categorical program and be rotating at tisch bellvue va etc as a part of the NYU categorical program? If I were you and this is a major factor in ranking the program highly, then I'd get something in writing from the program to confirm this. I had a friend interview at Lutheran and they were selling the NYU name hard, something a lot of university "affiliated" programs do, and it always makes me very suspicious. And he said nothing of the plan to integrate the programs (just spoke to him last week).

I know nothing of the situation but I have an extremely hard time believing that residents that were at Lutheran will all of a sudden be merged with the NYU categorical program. Just to confrim you're saying that in 2017-2018 the pgy1's will Be Lutheran categorical residents, then for the following 2 yrs they will be apart of the NYU categorical program and be rotating at tisch bellvue va etc as a part of the NYU categorical program? If I were you and this is a major factor in ranking the program highly, then I'd get something in writing from the program to confirm this. I had a friend interview at Lutheran and they were selling the NYU name hard, something a lot of university "affiliated" programs do, and it always makes me very suspicious. And he said nothing of the plan to integrate the programs (just spoke to him last week).
That's actually a good idea (having it in writing)...I'll look into it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Well at the very least, after talking to my program director and a few of the associate directors, it looks like they, and the rest of the medicine department seem to confirm that there won't be a formal integration of the two program classes, so take that for what it's worth. More likely, you will be getting an NYU Lutheran categorical medicine certificate rather than an NYU Categorical medicine one. It's like how Harvard extension grads get a Harvard Extension certificate rather than a Harvard one, at least to my knowledge. It kind of makes sense too, because if you're training mainly at lutheran, it would be unscrupulous to get a Bellevue/Tisch certificate (I mean, residents at Mass Gen don't get a BIDMC certificate so take that fwiw). That being said though, if you know something they don't, or if the program director at Lutheran has been making these promises to you, PLEASE let me know so I can talk about it deeper with leadership.

Last edited:
Well at the very least, after talking to my program director and a few of the associate directors, it looks like they, and the rest of the medicine department seem to confirm that there won't be a formal integration of the two program classes, so take that for what it's worth. More likely, you will be getting an NYU Lutheran categorical medicine certificate rather than an NYU Categorical medicine one. It's like how Harvard extension grads get a Harvard Extension certificate rather than a Harvard one, at least to my knowledge. It kind of makes sense too, because if you're training mainly at lutheran, it would be unscrupulous to get a Bellevue/Tisch certificate (I mean, residents at Mass Gen don't get a BIDMC certificate so take that fwiw). That being said though, if you know something they don't, or if the program director at Lutheran has been making these promises to you, PLEASE let me know so I can talk about it deeper with leadership.

I'm sure this won't stop folks from writing "NYU School of Medicine" and leave out the "Lutheran" part on their resumes.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to know, thank you.

Hi Shuper,

From the interview, it seems like us prelims would be over at Lutheran for a significant portion of the year (maybe 6 months?). What are your thoughts on the site over there (if you've spent time there). How are the patients, support staff, resident quality of life? How about the commute over there? Will that get annoying to make the trip every day?

Hi Shuper,

From the interview, it seems like us prelims would be over at Lutheran for a significant portion of the year (maybe 6 months?). What are your thoughts on the site over there (if you've spent time there). How are the patients, support staff, resident quality of life? How about the commute over there? Will that get annoying to make the trip every day?
I can't comment on the specifics of the NYU prelim assignments to Lutheran, and it's been a few years since I rotated there as a student. But, the patients are sick and largely non-English speaking (as a first language anyway...their English was way better than my Spanish/Russian/Tagalog/Cantonese/Arabic/Creole/etc though, so that's really on me). Support staff is typical NYC hospital (i.e. at best, they won't interfere with patient care).

The commute is typical for the city as well. If NYU has instituted a shuttle, you'll be OK during the hours that it runs. If you're going to take the subway, give yourself an hour from Union Square. If you're going to bike, bring a strong lock (but this would be the best commute option quite honestly).

Any thoughts on Columbia vs. NYU? I know Columbia is more prestigious, but from a lifestyle / culture / happiness perspective, do you think NYU > columbia? I'm definitely more drawn to NYU's social justice mission with bellevue as a county hospital (and the residents seemed more socially conscious). Also really love the x+y schedule (and location!) of NYU, but not sure if those are good enough reasons to rank NYU above Columbia.

Any thoughts on Columbia vs. NYU? I know Columbia is more prestigious, but from a lifestyle / culture / happiness perspective, do you think NYU > columbia? I'm definitely more drawn to NYU's social justice mission with bellevue as a county hospital (and the residents seemed more socially conscious). Also really love the x+y schedule (and location!) of NYU, but not sure if those are good enough reasons to rank NYU above Columbia.

I didn't interview at Columbia (and obviously all of my classmates who matched at NYU over Columbia have their clear biases towards NYU) so it probably isn't fair that I answer this question from that perspective, but I can say that the location here has made life more exciting and the X+Y scheduling has made life more accessible! Go with your gut. I don't think anyone will fault you either way. It's ok to rank Columbia over NYU or vice versa, I don't think anyone ever will fault you as long as you're honest about what you want! Both are excellent programs and I think you will come out very well trained either way.

Hey Shuper,

I have a question regarding the different tracks at NYU. I applied really late (the week of my interview) for the clinical investigator track, but I was never contacted for the additional interview.

I found out that they still may be setting up interviews for the Clinical Investigator track if you email and ask for them. The program provides some benefits, but certainly not enough to justify jeopardizing my chances at NYU overall. My concern is that since I applied late and will be asking for a late interview that I would only potentially cause problems for myself by pressing this issue now. Do you think that I should ask for an interview for the track at this point?

Otherwise, should I drop it from my list entirely? My concern in that case would be the off chance that I am on their list for this track even without the interview and that I would be throwing away a chance to match.

Hey Shuper,

I have a question regarding the different tracks at NYU. I applied really late (the week of my interview) for the clinical investigator track, but I was never contacted for the additional interview.

I found out that they still may be setting up interviews for the Clinical Investigator track if you email and ask for them. The program provides some benefits, but certainly not enough to justify jeopardizing my chances at NYU overall. My concern is that since I applied late and will be asking for a late interview that I would only potentially cause problems for myself by pressing this issue now. Do you think that I should ask for an interview for the track at this point?

Otherwise, should I drop it from my list entirely? My concern in that case would be the off chance that I am on their list for this track even without the interview and that I would be throwing away a chance to match.

Sorry this answer is coming so late! I'd say absolutely shoot them an email expressing your interests! All the different tracks integrate rather seamlessly together and truly, no one will take offense if you know what you are interested in. I think letting people know your feelings absolutely won't "jeopardize" your chances at NYU overall. Good luck!

Edit: Also keep in mind that once you match in you may be able to switch into the CIT if you give them a compelling reason

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh you have no idea :)

tumblr_leosvzwLV91qdlkgg.gif

Hey guys, I'm currently at NYU's Internal medicine program. Ask me anything! I'll check back here occasionally, so please forgive me if my answers don't come right away. I truly do love this program and I just wanted to answer any questions anyone might have
Do you still respond to this thread?

Sometimes, when the moon is full and the time is right.

Assuming the moon is full, can you comment at all on the new NYU IM Community Health track at Brooklyn?

I understand they have class of prelims there right now, perhaps you have heard something about it. I am interviewing and
am excited to learn about the new program.

Last edited:
Assuming the moon is full, can you comment at all on the new NYU IM Community Health track at Brooklyn?

I understand they have class of prelims there right now, perhaps you have heard something about it. I am interviewing and
am excited to learn about the new program, and would any kind of feedback!

Ah yes this is the question on everyone's minds. I'm actually not super primed to talk about this right now. I'll keep you all updated as we learn more about it during town hall meetings and such but it seems like it'll be tailored to folks who are more into population health and will be the main presence at Lutheran (now called NYU Brooklyn).

Ah yes this is the question on everyone's minds. I'm actually not super primed to talk about this right now. I'll keep you all updated as we learn more about it during town hall meetings and such but it seems like it'll be tailored to folks who are more into population health and will be the main presence at Lutheran (now called NYU Brooklyn).

Indeed. Population health is a definite area of interest. Although it is a separate program from the NYU IM at Family Health Centers at NYU Langone, which I found a bit confusing. However, unlike that program it actually falls under the main NYU IM program. I hope to gather more information, although they have now posted some online. It would be nice to have some ask some intelligent questions during interview. Again any feedback you can provide in the coming weeks is greatly appreciated!

Haven't seen NYU listed as a place to do away electives on VSAS. Should I email the programs to see if that's a possibility? I'm also 100% set on the primary care track

Yeah definitely! The primary care track here is really good (it's getting pretty competitive though!).

Any word about the new Lutheran program? What's your take on it?

Hey there! The ferry is someeewhat reliable from what I hear (though this is all hearsay as I haven't taken it yet myself). I do hear that there is a big problem for manhattan when they are even somewhat late to signout in that the last ferry runs very close to signout and if you miss this ferry then you're stuck taking the subway. Couple this with the fact that the L is set to shutdown in 2019 before you make any housing decisions. That being said, the importance of being near family is not a small thing and even with all these barriers, people still somehow make it work. As with anything: weigh the pros and cons

Hey there! The ferry is someeewhat reliable from what I hear (though this is all hearsay as I haven't taken it yet myself). I do hear that there is a big problem for manhattan when they are even somewhat late to signout in that the last ferry runs very close to signout and if you miss this ferry then you're stuck taking the subway. Couple this with the fact that the L is set to shutdown in 2019 before you make any housing decisions. That being said, the importance of being near family is not a small thing and even with all these barriers, people still somehow make it work. As with anything: weigh the pros and cons
Thanks! Much appreciated. Any chance you know where I could find the ferry schedule/who I could contact for it? Sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:
NYU Medical Ferry » New York University

This shows the ferry when it's running. Schedule changes day by day but the last ferry is always the same (sorry I don't really know when it is though)
If I understand that map correctly this thing stops half a dozen times on both sides of the river. That's gotta take like an hour and a half each way.

Yeah it takes quite some time! By subway at least it's usually an hour from tisch to lutheran. I hear it's shorter by ferry but I'm not sure of the exact length

I’m curious as to why they haven’t taken DOs in the past. I’m sure there have been a few from NYIT or Touro who have had killer stats.

I wouldn't be surprised if anyone in Manhattan extended interviews to DOs personally. We have a couple eager, visiting osteopathic students and they're mostly pretty good. That being said though we don't currently have a DO in any of our 3 years right now, so please take that for what it's worth. The doors are by no means closed though

I’m curious as to why they haven’t taken DOs in the past. I’m sure there have been a few from NYIT or Touro who have had killer stats.

When you can fill your class with people from Columbia and Hopkins, why even look at an application from a DO?

Reactions: 2 users
When you can fill your class with people from Columbia and Hopkins, why even look at an application from a DO?

We DOs show more persistence than Columbia/Hopkins grads by asking the same questions over and over on SDN

Reactions: 1 users

Probably comes down to the fact that even if NYU isn’t for whatever reason grouped in with Columbia and Cornell and Sinai (using whatever arbitrary designation of “top” institution), it’s in New York City. Top applicants from everywhere in the country from MD schools - most of whom are probably young and single probably - are willing to go there because of location, regardless of reputation. This, they can safely put the DO filter on their applications and have no trouble filling spots. I have friends who graduated from there FWIW and loved it.

Any reviews about the NYU Brooklyn program? What are your impressions so far?

no (updated in 2020)

Lol thanks for the necrobump

Seriously for a second though, It's been five years since I first started this thread and reading through these messages just sorta reminded me of how much older I am now and how much 5 years in a place can really change you. Back at the start of this I was just trying to be helpful but if I'm honest with myself I didn't know what I was talking about. Reading some of these posts now I just kinda cringe myself to oblivion. New York City can really mess a guy up in the best of ways. Being a hospitalist during COVID was ridiculous. Living in a city that amplifies every single human desire and emotion imaginable can make you grow up really fast but it also makes you really fun at parties. It teaches you a lot about who you are at the end of the day.

And I think I've seen a lot. It's been wild being at the center of so many news stories and taking care of so many interesting people and seeing SO many wild pathologies and hearing all the human stories associated with it. NYU, NYC, and residency in general were the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life.

And I'd do it all over again in a split second if I could. Now that I'm leaving for good I can give my honest, anonymous impression of the program and the city and this entire experience as a whole.

10/10. Would get destroyed again.

Reactions: 4 users
Lol thanks for the necrobump

Seriously for a second though, It's been five years since I first started this thread and reading through these messages just sorta reminded me of how much older I am now and how much 5 years in a place can really change you. Back at the start of this I was just trying to be helpful but if I'm honest with myself I didn't know what I was talking about. Reading some of these posts now I just kinda cringe myself to oblivion. New York City can really mess a guy up in the best of ways. Being a hospitalist during COVID was ridiculous. Living in a city that amplifies every single human desire and emotion imaginable can make you grow up really fast but it also makes you really fun at parties. It teaches you a lot about who you are at the end of the day.

And I think I've seen a lot. It's been wild being at the center of so many news stories and taking care of so many interesting people and seeing SO many wild pathologies and hearing all the human stories associated with it. NYU, NYC, and residency in general were the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life.

And I'd do it all over again in a split second if I could. Now that I'm leaving for good I can give my honest, anonymous impression of the program and the city and this entire experience as a whole.

10/10. Would get destroyed again.
Would love to hear your honest impression! Thanks for all your posts. I think if anything they probably gave some people energy.
Also- for real. It’s disappointing that NYU will still not interview DOs for residency even though they are hired as attendings. Why is this?

Would love to hear your honest impression! Thanks for all your posts. I think if anything they probably gave some people energy.
Also- for real. It’s disappointing that NYU will still not interview DOs for residency even though they are hired as attendings. Why is this?

:shrug:

Because they don’t have to.

I believe that programs that openly discriminate against DOs should not be allowed in the match.

I believe that programs that openly discriminate against DOs should not be allowed in the match.

Perfect! Let's halve the number of doctors in training.

I empathize, dude, but DO's are not a protected class, nor should they be. I also think we shouldn't discriminate against US citizens who went to medical school in the Caribbean.

Reactions: 1 users
They are a top program...they are able to be selective about the applicants they take...there are MD students that don’t ask to interview...

When your supply of applicants are top MD applicants is high, you don’t have to look past the Harvard,Stanford, Yale ,etc candidates...they are no different than MGH, Hopkins, Mayo, etc...it’s not Like they take DOs or Caribbean grads or Most FMGs either...

Perfect! Let's halve the number of doctors in training.

I empathize, dude, but DO's are not a protected class, nor should they be. I also think we shouldn't discriminate against US citizens who went to medical school in the Caribbean.
sorry I stand by what I said. No, DOs aren't a protected class. But discrimination is discrimination dude. We have enough of it in medicine..and I don't think discriminating against DOs isn't helping provide good patient care.

Last edited:
They are a top program...they are able to be selective about the applicants they take...there are MD students that don’t ask to interview...

When your supply of applicants are top MD applicants is high, you don’t have to look past the Harvard,Stanford, Yale ,etc candidates...they are no different than MGH, Hopkins, Mayo, etc...it’s not Like they take DOs or Caribbean grads or Most FMGs either...
This is not entirely true. Not all of the IM class is from top MD schools. I think this whole excuse of having too many applicants is a cop out. No offense. And DOs are not the same as FMGs or Caribbean grads. Why is it so hard for you to own to the fact that they are extremely discriminatory in their selection? Who are they missing out on by screening out all DOs?

Until this last year , it was an allopathic match for an allopathic residency spot...why would they not consider an allopathic student above an osteopathic student?
No...it wasn't. NYU also has programs out in Brooklyn that took DOs. Now those have gone entirely MD. I am not asking for them to consider one group over another like they are right now. I am asking that they don't screen out DOs. People have been saying for years..."if only DOs took the USMLE and killed it." "If only DOs did research and killed it". Well, we have DOs that do that and would not even stand getting a chance at an interview at NYU.

Until this last year , it was an allopathic match for an allopathic residency spot...why would they not consider an allopathic student above an osteopathic student?
I think it is also scary that you are physician (as indicated by your badge on your profile) and you think it is ok to discriminate against DOs for residency. Hope you work in a place that doesn't have an DO physicians. Im sure they would be less than impressed by your lack of advocacy for your fellow physicians.

This is not entirely true. Not all of the IM class is from top MD schools. I think this whole excuse of having too many applicants is a cop out. No offense. And DOs are not the same as FMGs or Caribbean grads. Why is it so hard for you to own to the fact that they are extremely discriminatory in their selection? Who are they missing out on by screening out all DOs?
Please ...DOs want to think that they thought of in the same level as the allopathic MD student, but you are closer in regard to the Caribbean grad...we all share a stigma of some sort...there will be programs that prefer DO over F/IMGs and others that do the opposite, but they all will prefer a USMD...will they look at the exceptional student?...sure, but make no mistake, they will rank the USMD over the others.

If you didn’t know that going in when you decided to do to a DO school, you didn’t do your due diligence.