NYU Internal Medicine AMA (Ask me anything)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShuperNewbie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently at NYU's Internal medicine program. Ask me anything! I'll check back here occasionally, so please forgive me if my answers don't come right away. I truly do love this program and I just wanted to answer any questions anyone might have

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think the separate threads. Would have appreciated more of them when I applied last year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Or you could just answer questions about NYU in the program specific questions thread and not create a deluge of similar threads.

Haha I'll do my best to earn my bandwidth space here Gutonc :)

@Animalcules Thank you, I totally agree! I would've appreciated more specific program specific threads so I could ask questions to a more targeted audience :nod:

mmm the thoughts about the program of an intern with 2 rotations under their belt....

IMHO, the thoughts of a 3rd or even 2nd year resident are probably worth more than twice that, why not come back in a year?

@ShuperNewbie -- regardless of what these other guys think, I appreciate you volunteering to answer questions!

1) Did you interview at other NYC programs? What, if anything, do you think sets NYU apart from these other programs?

2) Is there any sort of subsidized housing available for house staff? If so, how hard is it to get and if not, what do most people do for affordable housing? (ie if everyone lives with roommates, do those new to the area find random roommates among their fellow interns?)

@ShuperNewbie -- regardless of what these other guys think, I appreciate you volunteering to answer questions!
I think it's great that he's offering to answer questions. I just don't think we need 150 different threads about every IM program out there. We already have a thread for this.

In the past, the program specifically said they didn't take osteopathic graduates. Now the website states "Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine candidates are encouraged to apply via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Qualified applications will be granted interviews in accordance with ERAS policy and procedure." which is probably more PC than anything. Would you be surprised if they extended interviews to DO students this season?

What would you say a comfortable step 1 score to end up in a NYC university program? would you reccomend an away rotation in NYC

1) Did you interview at other NYC programs? What, if anything, do you think sets NYU apart from these other programs?

2) Is there any sort of subsidized housing available for house staff? If so, how hard is it to get and if not, what do most people do for affordable housing? (ie if everyone lives with roommates, do those new to the area find random roommates among their fellow interns?)

1. I only applied to NYU in Manhattan but I'll talk about what I can of all the other Manhattan programs (not from interviewing per se but from many interactions with other residents at these different programs). Take it all with a grain of salt. Personally, I found that NYU and Mt. Sinai tended to be the most balanced and collegial of the bunch. In the end I ended up sticking with NYU just because I preferred the close proximity of all the hospitals and its location in lower Manhattan (where all the cool stuff happens). I think I made the right choice, honestly. I couldn't have asked for a better class and a more supportive staff. Everyone here goes wayyyyy out of their way to make sure that you're accommodated for and that you're happy. I haven't felt overwhelmed once since I've been on (so far I've had nights, ICU, a floor rotation, and an ambulatory block, so it hasn't been easy pickens either). Staff here is really supportive in all your endeavors and really, really takes resident well-being very seriously. It was the best "fit" for me, and when you interview, you'll find out for yourself.

2. There are two halls and they're actually pretty affordable (ranging from 1250-1750 for studios and 2000+ if you live with a significant other and need more space). That being said though it's pretty tough to get. The way the housing here works is that you get preference based on how far away your home address is. The farther away, the higher up on the list you are. I'd say if you're not in the immediate New England area, you're pretty safe. If you prefer to live outside of the halls or if you can't get housing in them, the PD here is friends with a broker that helps people find apartments in their price range and desired area either for free or at a steep discount (I forget which). I'd say in regards to roommates, I feel like it's about 50/50. I live alone personally and everyone who has a roommate has one by choice. We are at the stage of life where most people who are living with someone are living with a spouse or a significant other, so it's not like they're forced to live together per se. I'm not gonna lie, rent in this area is pretty steep (we are in lower Manhattan after all ;)) but everyone makes due. For the most part after the first couple months, people tend to equilibrate on their salaries. I think what you're trying to get at is simply this: I am never in want. You will need to budget but it's not impossible and I feel like I still get to do everything I want to do! I'm not depriving myself by living in NYC. I still go to shows, I eat out all the time, and I enjoy my time in NYC with my class. That 61k salary makes living in the city a little easier.

Last edited:
In the past, the program specifically said they didn't take osteopathic graduates. Now the website states "Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine candidates are encouraged to apply via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Qualified applications will be granted interviews in accordance with ERAS policy and procedure." which is probably more PC than anything. Would you be surprised if they extended interviews to DO students this season?

I wouldn't be surprised if anyone in Manhattan extended interviews to DOs personally. We have a couple eager, visiting osteopathic students and they're mostly pretty good. That being said though we don't currently have a DO in any of our 3 years right now, so please take that for what it's worth. The doors are by no means closed though

Last edited:
What would you say a comfortable step 1 score to end up in a NYC university program? would you reccomend an away rotation in NYC

Good question. I don't know. I mean this honestly because I don't ask for the step 1 scores of my colleagues and it doesn't pop up in casual conversation. I apologize if that sounded sarcastic; I meant it most sincerely because this is probably the most common question I get asked and I really don't know the answer. Maybe one of these days we'll be forced to wear our scores embroidered on our white coats right next to our MD titles so people can tell just how much of an MD we are (forgive me, that one WAS sarcasm) but until then, most of us forget about our step scores after we match (much like how most people forget about their MCAT scores after they get into med school). I did, however, interview at one institution where one of the residents went around and had everyone say their step scores during the dinner. Needless to say, I ranked them dead last on my list. At the very least I can tell you that the scores at NYU seem to fall in a very wide range. One of the things I noticed about our group is that the most consistent thing that ties all of us together is that the majority of us have SOMETHING interesting or unique about ourselves (champion marathon runners, former chefs, artists, writers, singers, Broadway personalities, etc.). Maybe it's selection bias because most people in med school already have something unique about themselves. Maybe it's because studies show that if people have a fulfilling passion outside of their careers, they tend to experience less burn out but in the end, it means that step scores aren't the defining factor anymore. So regardless of what you got, I would encourage you to apply and see what happens. I would also encourage you to do an away rotation in NYC, if for nothing else than just to familiarize yourself with the program and for the program to familiarize themselves with you. Medicine in NYC is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be (if anyone's interested I can talk about this at length in another post) but it's definitely different. You should find out if it's good different or not for yourself.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good question. I don't know. I mean this honestly because I don't ask for the step 1 scores of my colleagues and it doesn't pop up in casual conversation. I apologize if that sounded sarcastic; I meant it most sincerely because this is probably the most common question I get asked and I really don't know the answer. Maybe one of these days we'll be forced to wear our scores embroidered on our white coats right next to our MD titles so people can tell just how much of an MD we are (forgive me, that one WAS sarcasm) but until then, most of us forget about our step scores after we match (much like how most people forget about their MCAT scores after they get into med school). I did, however, interview at one institution where one of the residents went around and had everyone say their step scores during the dinner. Needless to say, I ranked them dead last on my list. At the very least I can tell you that the scores at NYU seem to fall in a very wide range. One of the things I noticed about our group is that the most consistent thing that ties all of us together is that the majority of us have SOMETHING interesting or unique about ourselves (champion marathon runners, former chefs, artists, writers, singers, Broadway personalities, etc.). Maybe it's selection bias because most people in med school already have something unique about themselves. Maybe it's because studies show that if people have a fulfilling passion outside of their careers, they tend to experience less burn out but in the end, it means that step scores aren't the defining factor anymore. So regardless of what you got, I would encourage you to apply and see what happens. I would also encourage you to do an away rotation in NYC, if for nothing else than just to familiarize yourself with the program and for the program to familiarize themselves with you. Medicine in NYC is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be (if anyone's interested I can talk about this at length in another post) but it's definitely different. You should find out if it's good different or not for yourself.
do you reccomend applying to several NYC programs for aways, or just a couple?

Hey guys, I'm currently a PGY1 at NYU's Internal medicine program. Ask me anything! I'll check back here occasionally, so please forgive me if my answers don't come right away.

Thanks for your post! I have a couple questions. :)

1. If you secure housing for the first year, is it guaranteed for the remainder of your residency?
2. Do you know anything about the culture of the primary care program? I am planning on applying to both categorical and primary care.
3. Have you had any ambulatory time yet? What is your patient load as an intern on outpatient vs inpatient setting?
4. Do you have time to attend lectures/morning report etc? At my school they boast about all of the educational opportunities, but our interns are so swamped that I've never seen them at morning report unless they were presenting.
5. How much scut work do you do? I know at some programs they have people that help out the residents with calling other hospitals, etc. to get records. Does something like this exist for you guys?

Thanks again! :)

Hey guys, I'm currently a PGY1 at NYU's Internal medicine program. Ask me anything! I'll check back here occasionally, so please forgive me if my answers don't come right away.

Any big contrasting points between Mt Sinai and NYU that youd wanna speak about? Did you interview at any community programs in nyc as well?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Thanks for your post! I have a couple questions. :)

1. If you secure housing for the first year, is it guaranteed for the remainder of your residency?
2. Do you know anything about the culture of the primary care program? I am planning on applying to both categorical and primary care.
3. Have you had any ambulatory time yet? What is your patient load as an intern on outpatient vs inpatient setting?
4. Do you have time to attend lectures/morning report etc? At my school they boast about all of the educational opportunities, but our interns are so swamped that I've never seen them at morning report unless they were presenting.
5. How much scut work do you do? I know at some programs they have people that help out the residents with calling other hospitals, etc. to get records. Does something like this exist for you guys?

Thanks again! :)

1. Yup guaranteed for the remainder of residency. Not many people leave.

2. Absolutely! The primary care program director here was one of the founders of SGIM, so the program is actually extremely influential and well established/well published. As such, it tends to attract a lot of very qualified applicants. Each year the PC residents are generally very good (We've had moments where the Tisch ICU was run entirely by PC residents!) and they're honestly indistinguishable from categorical residents. I've heard many people describe it as a very "touchy feely" program which I think is one of its major draws! Lots of support, lots of guidance, and a lot of camaraderie between people in the program. There's also a lot of crossover between the two tracks (every year there are a bunch of people who switch into the PC track and occasionally there are a few who switch into categorical). The administration is extremely supportive of whatever you want to do, whether it be fellowship or straight PC (it's about 50/50: fellowship/general practice every year with the majority of fellowships being General Medicine, GI,Heme Onc). I'd say most of people who come out of the PC track go into academic general medicine, as the pathway tends to prepare you best for this career track.

3. Yup! I've had ambulatory time (4+2 scheduling is AMAZING btw). My clinic is in Bellevue and I love it! (people generally like Bellevue a lot here). They tend to start you off slow, so in the beginning when you're building up your census you tend to see maybe 1-3 patients in the afternoons, but then afterwards as R2s and above, you can see upwards of 5-6 and maybe 10 on a full day. People rarely leave past 5pm though (I've actually never seen it) as your attendings in the clinic tend to go to great lengths to make sure you are out at a reasonable hour (oh also half days every week and 2 day weekends make life so much better!). Inpatient census can be up to 10 for an intern, but I've honestly never seen anyone carry this many as an intern, because you'll usually have sub-interns help pick up some of the slack (med students here are really, really good and very eager to learn). The most I've seen someone carry is maybe around 7-8 and if that ever happens (I've only seen it maybe 1 or 2 times), the majority of your census will be chronic patients that don't need much monitoring and are really only in the hospital awaiting placement.

4. Yes, morning report and lectures are absolutely accessible if you want to go to them. I've never, ever had trouble going to educational events and I think one reason for this is that intern and resident reports are separate, so that when you do go to intern report, you hand over your pager to the resident and they take care of everything for the hour that you're away. I've never seen an intern that was so swamped they couldn't make it to morning report (granted there are some who choose not to go but this is an entirely different issue altogether :laugh:).

5. At Bellevue and Tisch, almost none. The program leadership has gone to GREAT lengths to cut down on the amount of scut interns have to do (as a resident this is especially true at least later on in the year). At Tisch, obviously nurses are great and you don't have to do any scut unless you choose to. At Bellevue, we have dedicated teams now that come frequently throughout the day to do things like blood draws (The only time I've ever done my own blood draw at Bellevue was by choice, when I wanted to practice doing blood draws haha). The VA is different though, because nurses there are not allowed to draw certain labs (like VBGs for instance) so there's no escaping there, but it's honestly not bad at all. I think the amount of scut you do is really more resident dependent than anything else. The residents I've had have all been really good and have shielded me against unnecessary scut, basically volunteering to do things like fax forms and obtain collateral so that I could focus on more important things. This may be largely due to the fact that R2s and above don't need to write progress notes (as attendings are required to write notes on everyone), so they have more time to sit and think about patient management.

-As an aside I just wanted to mention that before coming here I really bought into all the talk about how scut-acular the NYC resident experience was, only to find that it really was not any worse than scut from the private hospital I rotated through as a med student. I think this may partially be due to expectation (my expectations were so low that I was pleasantly surprised when the level of scut was much better than I expected), but I really think this is largely due to administrative changes and improvements. We have a multitude of PDs and administrative staff who are all very, very responsive to resident suggestions and really take quality of life very seriously. I've already heard from people one year above me how much better the interns have it now compared to last year. Granted that's just one person's opinion so take that for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Any big contrasting points between Mt Sinai and NYU that youd wanna speak about? Did you interview at any community programs in nyc as well?

I guess the most obvious would be that Mt. Sinai is on the upper east side. It's an unfortunate stereotype that they only work with private patients as a result, but really this is untrue and the institution goes to great lengths to make sure residents are exposed to a good mix of private and uninsured patients. NYU is in lower manhattan and also has a good mix of different patient populations (between Bellevue, Tisch, and the VA). I tended to have an early schedule that was VA and Bellevue heavy, so most of my experience at NYU has been with a more vulnerable population. Honestly though, your experience depends on the random schedule that you get assigned (although you do get to submit your preferences in advance). All of NYU's hospitals are one street away from each other while Sinai rotates through hospitals all throughout the boroughs. I would think that Sinai rotations tend to be a little more focused at the main, private hospital campus, but I hear this is largely dependent on your schedule and preferences. Most of the NYU rotations are spread evenly between the three hospitals. Fellowship match is comparable with the majority of people tending to stick with the home institution (although interview-wise, all the Manhattan programs tend to interbreed). Both are exceptional programs with great staff and a great culture. In terms of research, academics, etc. both are pretty comparable and research at both institutions is open to all (I have a friend who does research up at Sinai and there are some Sinai people who work in labs down here, so that's a wash). Same is true of Cornell: I have friends who want to do Heme/Onc and therefore trek up to MSKCC to work with some of the researchers up there, and similarly there are some Cornell folks who take an interest in some of the big Cards projects down here and thus get involved with no major hassles. I think it really boils down to where you want to live and what kind of patient population you want to work with. There are pluses and minuses to the upper east side vs. lower manhattan (UES is quieter and more residential, but less exciting. Lower manhattan is where all the "new york" of new york happens but can be expensive and tiring if you're not into that) but I have some co-residents who live in the UES and there are definitely some people from Sinai who live in East Village, so that's also a bit of a wash. There are definitely pluses and minuses working with private vs. county patients in NYC as well, and having lived all throughout the US, I can say that the private population is veerrryyyyy different from private population in, say, Minnesota, as is the county population, so unless you did medical school in NYC, I would encourage you all to do an away in NYC to compare your experience. As a result of this population difference, I would say that NYU tends to be more hands on and you get to feel more like a "real doctor," but that comes with its own stresses and I recognize that isn't for everyone. Also, to answer your second question, I didn't interview at any community programs in NYC, but we do have Lutheran residents rotate with us and they're all very hard working and eager, for what it's worth!

Last edited:
I guess the most obvious would be that Mt. Sinai is on the upper east side and caters to a mostly private population. NYU is in lower manhattan and I would say caters to a more vulnerable population (between Bellevue and the VA). All of NYU's hospitals are one street away from each other while Sinai rotates through hospitals all throughout the boroughs. Fellowship match is comparable with the majority of people tending to stick with the home institution (although interview-wise, all the Manhattan programs tend to interbreed). Both are exceptional programs with great staff and a great culture. In terms of research, academics, etc. both are pretty comparable and research at both institutions is open to all (I have a friend who does research up at Sinai and there are some Sinai people who work in labs down here, so that's a wash). I think it really boils down to where you want to live and what kind of patient population you want to work with. There are pluses and minuses to the upper east side vs. lower manhattan (UES is quieter and more residential, but less exciting. Lower manhattan is where all the "new york" of new york happens but can be expensive and tiring if you're not into that) but I have some co-residents who live in the UES and there are definitely some people from Sinai who live in East Village, so that's also a bit of a wash. There are definitely pluses and minuses working with private vs. county patients in NYC as well, and having lived all throughout the US, I can say that the private population is veerrryyyyy different from private population in, say, Minnesota, as is the county population, so unless you did medical school in NYC, I would encourage you all to do an away in NYC to compare your experience. As a result of this population difference, I would say that NYU tends to be more hands on and you get to feel more like a "real doctor," but that comes with its own stresses and I recognize that isn't for everyone. Also, to answer your second question, I didn't interview at any community programs in NYC, but we do have Lutheran residents rotate with us and they're all very hard working and eager, for what it's worth!

Great info thank you so much!

1. Yup guaranteed for the remainder of residency. Not many people leave.

2. Absolutely! The primary care program director here was one of the founders of SGIM, so the program is actually extremely influential and well established/well published. As such, it tends to attract a lot of very qualified applicants. Each year the PC residents are generally very good (We've had moments where the Tisch ICU was run entirely by PC residents!) and they're honestly indistinguishable from categorical residents. I've heard many people describe it as a very "touchy feely" program which I think is one of its major draws! Lots of support, lots of guidance, and a lot of camaraderie between people in the program. There's also a lot of crossover between the two tracks (every year there are a bunch of people who switch into the PC track and occasionally there are a few who switch into categorical). The administration is extremely supportive of whatever you want to do, whether it be fellowship or straight PC (it's about 50/50: fellowship/general practice every year with the majority of fellowships being General Medicine, GI,Heme Onc). The vast majority of people who come out of the PC track go into academic general medicine, as the pathway tends to prepare you best for this career track.

3. Yup! I've had ambulatory time (4+2 scheduling is AMAZING btw). My clinic is in Bellevue and I love it! (people generally like Bellevue a lot here). They tend to start you off slow, so in the beginning when you're building up your census you tend to see maybe 1-3 patients in the afternoons, but then afterwards as R2s and above, you can see upwards of 5-6 and maybe 10 on a full day. People rarely leave past 5pm though (I've actually never seen it) as your attendings in the clinic tend to go to great lengths to make sure you are out at a reasonable hour (oh also half days every week and 2 day weekends make life so much better!). Inpatient census can be up to 10 for an intern, but I've honestly never seen anyone carry this many as an intern, because you'll usually have sub-interns help pick up some of the slack (med students here are really, really good and very eager to learn). The most I've seen someone carry is maybe around 7-8 and if that ever happens (I've only seen it maybe 1 or 2 times), the majority of your census will be chronic patients that don't need much monitoring and are really only in the hospital awaiting placement.

4. Yes, morning report and lectures are absolutely accessible if you want to go to them. I've never, ever had trouble going to educational events and I think one reason for this is that intern and resident reports are separate, so that when you do go to intern report, you hand over your pager to the resident and they take care of everything for the hour that you're away. I've never seen an intern that was so swamped they couldn't make it to morning report (granted there are some who choose not to go but this is an entirely different issue altogether :laugh:).

5. At Bellevue and Tisch, almost none. The program leadership has gone to GREAT lengths to cut down on the amount of scut interns have to do (as a resident this is especially true at least later on in the year). At Tisch, obviously nurses are great and you don't have to do any scut unless you choose to. At Bellevue, we have dedicated teams now that come frequently throughout the day to do things like blood draws (The only time I've ever done my own blood draw at Bellevue was by choice, when I wanted to practice doing blood draws haha). The VA is different though, because nurses there are not allowed to draw certain labs (like VBGs for instance) so there's no escaping there, but it's honestly not bad at all. I think the amount of scut you do is really more resident dependent than anything else. The residents I've had have all been really good and have shielded me against unnecessary scut, basically volunteering to do things like fax forms and obtain collateral so that I could focus on more important things. This may be largely due to the fact that R2s and above don't need to write progress notes (as attendings are required to write notes on everyone), so they have more time to sit and think about patient management.

-As an aside I just wanted to mention that before coming here I really bought into all the talk about how scut-acular the NYC resident experience was, only to find that it really was not any worse than scut from the private hospital I rotated through as a med student. I think this may partially be due to expectation (my expectations were so low that I was pleasantly surprised when the level of scut was much better than I expected), but I really think this is largely due to administrative changes and improvements. We have a multitude of PDs and administrative staff who are all very, very responsive to resident suggestions and really take quality of life very seriously. I've already heard from people one year above me how much better the interns have it now compared to last year. Granted that's just one person's opinion so take that for what it's worth.

THANK YOU! I am definitely applying here!

I guess the most obvious would be that Mt. Sinai is on the upper east side and caters to a mostly private population.

Mostly private population? That's inaccurate. The majority of inpatients at Sinai are the uninsured/Medicare/Medicaid patients of East Harlem.

Mostly private population? That's inaccurate. The majority of inpatients at Sinai are the uninsured/Medicare/Medicaid patients of East Harlem.

You are probably right. I apologize for this over-generalization- it has been amended.

Thanks so much for answering questions

1. When on ambulatory are you always off Saturday/Sunday or do you sometimes need to cover floors?

2. What time is sign-out when on the inpatient floors? What is the call schedule like?

Thank you!

Thanks so much for answering questions

1. When on ambulatory are you always off Saturday/Sunday or do you sometimes need to cover floors?

2. What time is sign-out when on the inpatient floors? What is the call schedule like?

Thank you!

Of course! My pleasure :)

1. Always. Always always always. Always. You will also get any holidays off so if you'll be certain to get at least a few 3 day weekends. The program makes sure that everyone has roughly the same number of days off, so don't worry about it if you don't get holiday x or y off. You will eventually get a couple 3 day weekends. We NEVER have to cover floors on amb care, and we will usually get a few half days off every week.

2. Sign out is at 6pm and I rarely have had to leave after, so it definitely isn't a "come home and have absolutely no time to do anything but sleep" kind of scenario like we're all led to believe going into intern year. Honestly I almost feel like I have more time than I did in med school because I don't have to study afterwards. To answer your second question, we don't have a call schedule in the traditional sense because we have night float, so you're basically just on from 7-6 everyday (realistically probably more like 6:45-6:30) unless you're on night float in which case you'll be on from 6-7 for two weeks. Call in the Tisch ICU is a little more traditional (q4 call), but that schedule is probably going to change soon.

Last edited:
What is the approximate balance of time spent at Tisch vs. Bellevue vs. the VA?

At Tisch, is the majority of inpatient time spent on the general medicine service or is there opportunities to do the Heme/Onc, Cards, and HPB services? And do many interns/residents actually get the opportunity to go on those specialty inpatient services?

Thanks for doing this!

What is the approximate balance of time spent at Tisch vs. Bellevue vs. the VA?

At Tisch, is the majority of inpatient time spent on the general medicine service or is there opportunities to do the Heme/Onc, Cards, and HPB services? And do many interns/residents actually get the opportunity to go on those specialty inpatient services?

Thanks for doing this!

No problem, I appreciate the interest and enthusiasm! :)

1. The balance of time spent between the three hospitals is largely up to you before you start. Prior to intern year, we are each provided a series of schedules that we can rank in order of preference. If anyone has anything pressing, they're encouraged to make a note of it and their preferences will be taken into consideration (also, another benefit to being 4+2 is that half of the class shares your "block cycle," so it's actually pretty easy to switch rotations if you need to). As such, you can choose to be predominantly tisch, bellevue, or the VA. I personally chose an even mix of all three, but if I had to do it again I might actually choose primarily Bellevue, just because I like working with the patient population more (and to be quite honest the workflow is a little less hectic in my humble opinion), but I know some people who choose to be mainly at Tisch because it fits their style better (better ancillary staff, closer to home, prefer the learning and subspecialty focus, prefer the support system, etc.).

2. At Tisch, we have dedicated and required rotations in subspecialty services! That being said, the same attendings will usually walk back and forth between the three hospitals so this is nothing unique to Tisch. For instance, everyone has to do a rotation in the cardiac care unit at either bellevue or tisch, so there's a lot of exposure to the cardiology teams at both Tisch and Bellevue. Heme/onc is also one of the "standard" rotations that we do. We've also started this cool subspecialty teaching session during medicine rotations where your resident will go in every week during resident report and will pick a subspecialty of the team's choice that they want to talk with. You'll then go over one of your cases with them sitting around a table and they'll tell you their thoughts, do a bit of teaching, and give management suggestions in real time while explaining the case from their perspective. It's really very cool and informative. You will also get quite a few electives during intern year (usually with weekends off, of course). We are 4+2 after all, the +2 being an elective or ambulatory rotation, and one of the benefits to having this (besides the increased sanity) is having more elective opportunities and choices. If you're dead set on going into Heme onc, for instance, you can do multiple heme/onc electives of your choice (we have quite a few to choose from). If you're unsure, you might wanna hop around a bit to find your niche. Heck if you want to just learn how to read EKGs there's even an EKG reading elective that you can do! There's certainly no shortage of subspecialty exposure here.

Once again, good luck and I hope to see you come interview season!

Last edited:
Hiya! Do you know anything about the new Tisch-Kimmel track within the NYU categorical program, and the purpose of this track (is it to train more subspecialists? Is it to train more hospitalists? Or is it a practical addition to meet the labor demand with the new Kimmel pavilion)? I tried googling for more information, but the only info I could find was that this new pavilion is set to open in 2018...

Hiya! Do you know anything about the new Tisch-Kimmel track within the NYU categorical program, and the purpose of this track (is it to train more subspecialists? Is it to train more hospitalists? Or is it a practical addition to meet the labor demand with the new Kimmel pavilion)? I tried googling for more information, but the only info I could find was that this new pavilion is set to open in 2018...

This is a good question and honestly it's something that's a bit of an ongoing discussion within the program (can't tell you how many town hall meetings and info sessions we've had on this). From what we've been told about this issue from everyone involved in leadership (both the people at Tisch/Kimmel and Bellevue), it seems like it's mostly a practical decision to accommodate a growing program. After the purchase of Lutheran, it seems like NYU is growing quite a bit so it's both meant to allow for smaller communities to provide more meaningful mentorship, and to give people more opportunity to be more intentional with their hospital preferences (while we can choose our preference in schedule, for the most part it's got a fair degree of randomness to it). In my mind it kind of resembles the BCM/MD Anderson Track, where it's still under one umbrella program but you intentionally choose to spend more time at one particular hospital. It's certainly NOT to train more subspecialists (so we've been told) as electives will be the same regardless of what track you're in. To my knowledge it's not meant to train more hospitalists either.

Thanks for doing this ShuperNewbie, How the new residency in Lutheran fit in the NYU plans? Is Lutheran going to follow the NYU training and have access to NYU resources? Is it just an affiliated hospital or is part of the NYU residency system?

Thanks for doing this ShuperNewbie, How the new residency in Lutheran fit in the NYU plans? Is Lutheran going to follow the NYU training and have access to NYU resources? Is it just an affiliated hospital or is part of the NYU residency system?

Hey there. Yes the Lutheran residents do already rotate at Tisch for a month or two (kinda like how Harbor UCLA will rotate at Reagan) but only the R2s and R3s. From what I know, there are no plans for NYU to absorb the Lutheran residents into the class, thus making them NYU residents. I do believe that they are planning on absorbing Lutheran's residency spots in the future though (e.g. instead of lutheran having 5 spots and NYU having 44, NYU will take those 5 spots and now NYU will have 49 openings and Lutheran will have none, with NYU residents rotating through Lutheran) but then the application process will be through NYU and not through a separate Lutheran application. Again, I'm not too sure about the details of this yet. This is all stuff that is being planned and is in the works but we'll see whether or not it will actually come to fruition.

Thanks for all the info, Shuper! Do you have any insights in how things are for the prelim folks?

Hello ShuperNewbie:

First of all, thank you for asking questions regarding NYU Internal Medicine. You are doing a wonderful service.

I am a third osteopathic year medical student and I am rotating at Lutheran. Internal Medicine rotation has been exciting for me and many of the new Attendings from NYU are exemplary in their teaching. As noted above, DO students are allowed to rotate at NYU Langone. I certainly wish to do so because I think I learn so much from NYU Attendings and my previous extensive volunteer history at Bellevue. I also know that the website says osteopathic students may apply on the website and as you said, the door is by no means closed.

I my USMLE step 1 score is in the mid 230s, is this a competitive score for NYU Langone students? I bet everyone in Langone is like a 250-260 +, hahaha.

I know I am early in my third year but I am really finding a calling in Internal Medicine. Before I thought Emergency Medicine was cool because I was at the Bellevue ER, but internal medicine is really making me appreciate the intellectual nature of the field. I also have a long shot, but I do not think it hurts to try. I also know that I will not get NYU anyway. I am realistic that probably get a mid tier, community program. :)

But thank you very much for making this thread, ShuperNewbie!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, Shuper! Do you have any insights in how things are for the prelim folks?

Some of the best interns on right now are prelims, but I do know that the schedule for prelims may change sometime in the near future. While I'm still not too certain on it, we were told that prelims will gradually start increasing their presence at Lutheran. Regardless, the culture at NYU certainly doesn't discriminate against prelims (I personally think they're all consistently very strong). Any specific questions you'd like me to look into though?

Hello ShuperNewbie:

First of all, thank you for asking questions regarding NYU Internal Medicine. You are doing a wonderful service.

I am a third osteopathic year medical student and I am rotating at Lutheran. Internal Medicine rotation has been exciting for me and many of the new Attendings from NYU are exemplary in their teaching. As noted above, DO students are allowed to rotate at NYU Langone. I certainly wish to do so because I think I learn so much from NYU Attendings and my previous extensive volunteer history at Bellevue. I also know that the website says osteopathic students may apply on the website and as you said, the door is by no means closed.

I my USMLE step 1 score is in the mid 230s, is this a competitive score for NYU Langone students? I bet everyone in Langone is like a 250-260 +, hahaha.

I know I am early in my third year but I am really finding a calling in Internal Medicine. Before I thought Emergency Medicine was cool because I was at the Bellevue ER, but internal medicine is really making me appreciate the intellectual nature of the field. I also have a long shot, but I do not think it hurts to try. I also know that I will not get NYU anyway. I am realistic that probably get a mid tier, community program. :)

Haha sounds great buddy. I wish you the best of luck! I may be a little biased but I like it here a whole lot too :). And don't stress too much about step scores. I'm sure everyone on this forum knows someone who matched at NYU with mid 230s ;)

If there is no call who works weekends?

Last edited:
Hello ShuperNewbie:

NYU doesn't take DOs for IM

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hello there, I have been trying to find this information online but can't seem to. Regarding differences between the PC and categorical track, I was wondering if the increased ambulatory time comes out of the elective time built in for the regular track? I'm interested in going into General Medicine, but possibly more academic, and would like to continue a research relationship with a mentor who works abroad. I'm not sure which track would be more well-suited for me (e.g. would there be more time for me to do research and global health work in the categorical track due to increased flexibility of the schedule?)
Thanks for this helpful thread!

Hello there, I have been trying to find this information online but can't seem to. Regarding differences between the PC and categorical track, I was wondering if the increased ambulatory time comes out of the elective time built in for the regular track? I'm interested in going into General Medicine, but possibly more academic, and would like to continue a research relationship with a mentor who works abroad. I'm not sure which track would be more well-suited for me (e.g. would there be more time for me to do research and global health work in the categorical track due to increased flexibility of the schedule?)
Thanks for this helpful thread!

Hi there! The only difference between PC and Categorical is that you get more ambulatory time built in (which translates out into more time in general). During intern year, this comes from 1 month of electives but overall, you'll have more outpatient time. There is absolutely time and flexibility to do global health (I think a greater proportion of PC track people end up doing something global health related) and the program is pretty research heavy, requiring a research project in your third year. I know a lot of PC people end up doing research in public health or QI, but some who want to subspecialize do research in that subspecialty of choice. You also have a few weeks or so where you go off the wards to go to Washington to lobby congress for an issue of your choosing, which is not really research but it's still a great extra experience nonetheless. Obviously, there are no doors closed (and you honestly have a bit more free time to pursue research if you want to with the extra clinical time). One of the PC PDs was a former president (possibly founder?) of SGIM, so it's really geared towards academic medicine.

Last edited:
I recently interviewed at NYU Lutheran (now called NYU School of Medicine/Brooklyn Campus) - this is the last year they will be taking categorical IM applicants. The plan is to completely merge the residencies and to essentially turn it into another Bellevue/VA site for residents with the same scheduling, contracts, etc. However, NYU Lutheran will be the site for the residency's primary care track. They essentially told us at our interview that when we graduate, we'll have a NYU School of Medicine (categorical) diploma - I was making sure the faculty was making that clear. They also expect to have more rotations at Tisch starting next year.

However, NYU Lutheran will be the site for the residency's primary care track. They essentially told us at our interview that when we graduate, we'll have a NYU School of Medicine (categorical) diploma - I was making sure the faculty was making that clear.

:wtf: so, in essence, will you be a NYU Primary Care track resident graduating with a NYU categorical track diploma while using NYU Lutheran as your primary clinical site?

:wtf: so, in essence, will you be a NYU Primary Care track resident graduating with a NYU categorical track diploma while using NYU Lutheran as your primary clinical site?

This is the first I've heard of this. From what I understand, starting next year the NYU PC Track will get 8 more spots, bringing the total up to 16. At that time, however, you will apply through the NYU Medicine program and be accepted through the NYU Medicine program (not the Lutheran program). I have not heard of any plans in integrating the Lutheran and NYU classes together. Sorry, there is no free lunch from what I understand. And no, there won't be a primary clinic site at Lutheran.

If there is no call who works weekends?

Hey there Turk. Sorry, in all the hullabaloo I forgot to answer your question. Yes, on floors there is no call (we have a nightfloat system). People will take turns working one day on the weekends and it will alternate between teams. On the floors, you're paired with a "sister team" and you'll basically cover the sister team's patients whichever weekend day you're on. But yeah, no call!

This is the first I've heard of this. From what I understand, starting next year the NYU PC Track will get 8 more spots, bringing the total up to 16. At that time, however, you will apply through the NYU Medicine program and be accepted through the NYU Medicine program (not the Lutheran program). I have not heard of any plans in integrating the Lutheran and NYU classes together. Sorry, there is no free lunch from what I understand. And no, there won't be a primary clinic site at Lutheran.
The NYU Lutheran program will be fully integrated into NYU SOM - this is the last year it will be a separate program on ERAS. They never said it was "free lunch", but since the programs will be merging, then yes, the graduates of the incoming year will be NYU SOM diplomas. Ask the faculty members yourself. I actually interviewed there this past month. The primary care track will be taking over the NYU Lutheran spots.