NYU Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You are saying that GPA 3 is must for NYU then how did you get an interview i think your gpa is 2.45 ece. Please donot give such comments so easily and break peoples heart who are waiting.... i have seen that that average gpa is 3 for the last years batch also average nbde is 87 . but many did get the interview with less than 87 this year....please make a good research or call nyu before giving out such information.......
you are right dentistree, average means mean scores it could be less than 3.00 or more than 3.00, same way less than 87 or more than 87 i think average should be calculated like that. it's my opinion regarding the average.

Members don't see this ad.

dont retake the part 1. go for part 2 and try for some other schools where part 2 is mandatory because u can not change ur gpa and in NYU gpa is a strict criteria ( should be above 3 )
mr.dentist_80
do you really have gpa 2.45 (ece).

NYU interview is the coolest, have fun. They ve have very good grilled sandwiches enjoy that too.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
even I also agree with dentist_80 regarding 3 GPA stuff for NYU,but m not sure though..

hi
sorry could not talk to u and thanks for your advice can utell me how shd i start reading for part 2 i mean what all the material shd i use?

dont retake the part 1. go for part 2 and try for some other schools where part 2 is mandatory because u can not change ur gpa and in NYU gpa is a strict criteria ( should be above 3 )

Any female willing to share accomodation for NYU interview on feb14, please Pm me ASAP.

Thank you for the reply! Wish you a very good luck!

Thanks for the wishes!
my score are
part one -87[old]
ece-3.08
toefl-98
experience in India -6 months
i applied in oct.i got interview call only from nyu as i understand i am not in competition let see what will happen next i schedule it from 19 to 14 of feb!

All the best who are waiting!:thumbup:

I do agree with you dentistree! It's really easy to break the heart of anybody who are takin the same efforts as they do and just becoz they lack in somethin ain't mean they are the unfit and not eligible! So try to write optimistic and constructive! That's very important especially bein doctors! Even though its the truth or part of reality, when people are tryin hard to achieve same as everyone do, try not to agonize them! Thank you!

You are saying that GPA 3 is must for NYU then how did you get an interview i think your gpa is 2.45 ece. Please donot give such comments so easily and break peoples heart who are waiting.... i have seen that that average gpa is 3 for the last years batch also average nbde is 87 . but many did get the interview with less than 87 this year....please make a good research or call nyu before giving out such information.......

Hi
I have NBDE-1-85
Toefl-95
GPA-2.1
Please advice whether I should take Part-2
Thanks in advance
Neetika

Nice to know there are people here who understand us with low gpa.. santy and superstar 2008 you are absolutely right we all go through all the steps just like others.... My gpa is 2.95...it was just that i dint get an A in one subject or even i would have got 3 as gpa...it is not my fault..the ece evaluates like this...everyone here will be having something like this which caused their gpa to go down... even NBDE has the same story we all do well ,but some minor errors gets us down on low score....
Do not worry guys there is god and also the selecting people in NYU who will help us out to fulfill our dreams of getting into NYU.....
All the best every one..:thumbup::thumbup:

hey,dentistree,i personally dont know anyone in NYU with less then 3 gpa but from my point of view a gpa of 2.95 wont be problem if u have ur good part 1 score to back u up caz its true that NYU people do prefer GPA above 3 but its not a strict criteria for them,u can explain in ur interview why ur GPA is just short of what they want...

hey santy and dentistree i m not misleading anyone. just wait for 2 weeks let me get my acceptance letter any i will answer all ur questions. well dentistree 2.95 is not a problem u can get the interview with that. all i can say now is best of luck to all. and ya average part 1 score is 85. they give the interview to the people who have 85, toefl above 90 and gpa around 3.

i m also preparing for part 2 what i m going to read is only dental decks, released papers and mosby's review note. i might take kaplan online q bank in last month.
i m not saying that people with low gpa dont have chance in NYU. just try ur luck but be prepare for another college too, just dont rely only on NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
:scared: My interview is on the 26th of Feb. wish myself and everyone the best luck.
Any female would like to share hotel room. how about transportation from LGA to near hotel from NYU?

I just saw this thread and could not resist & so here are my few words. :)

Here are my Stats: Part I/II 87/77, ECE GPA: 2.83, WES: 3.45, TOEFL: 99 1-yr dental internship/work back home, 2.5 yrs dental assistant in US, and FL DH license.

I was invited for and interview at NYU a year before last. That was the only interview for me that year and the last. I was happy and nervous, the first statement that the interviewer made was we usually dont accept GPA less then 3.0 (I am thinking then why the heck you called me here:confused: ), then they say what can you do about the LOW GPA? (like I can go back to school and take classes over again, gosh!! :thumbdown:). At that time I told her I can take Part II and show that I am a good student. Then the interviewer asked me about my CBT Toefl of 230, and said that is too low too. They go on to tell that I don't have chances at NYU, but still give them the part II and higher TOEFL scores. One week later I received a NICE Rejection letter.

This statement is for people with low GPA: Overall, I am Glad that i did not get accepted to NYU, Life in NY is hectic and i know this b/c the following year one of my frnds got into NYU and they are having a tough time with commute and work load. (FYI my frnds and I are all going to graduate in 2010 :), NYU is 3 yrs and UIC is 2, many other schools are 2 yrs :). So please be patient and do the best you can. There are many universities that dont take GPA so seriously or accept WES, and are better overall school experience with less commute and less hectic life (i.e. UIC, BU, Cali schools, etc.).

So, this is what I did b/c dentistry is my passion and i wanted to get into a school: Everyone knows that you cant change your GPA. I retook the TOEFL - got 99, I received Lic as FL DH (clinical exam exp. in the US) and improved my SOP. And applied To following international dental program schools: UIC, UDM, UTSHCSA, UMN, All Cali Schools, UMDNJ, Buffalo, NYU, BU, Penn, Nova, U of M, etc, this year. I was interviewed at UIC, USC, Loma Linda, and declined interview from UMDNJ, because I received acceptance from UIC.

At NONE of the interviews I was asked, what can i do about my low GPA? I believe that a true interview/practical is about your personality not asking useless questions like what can you do about your GPA :mad: (I can understand if they ask WHY is your GPA low). So all of you with LOW Gpa NYU is not the only school, in fact it is the last option for most people b/c of the length of program, intensitiy of travel/life in NYU and cost. Improve any parts of app that you can and apply to as many schools as possible and you will get in.

**Note Disclaimer**
The above is my personal experience, in no way I am trying to offend any students or dental school. My opinions do not reflect any dental schools offical interview/practical guidelines.

Good Luck and God Bless.
Dentalbug

Well said dental bug! At last a trhread with the solution to fix the low gpa!( While people narrate this as a sin!) For the low gpa, I personally don think its the fault of the individual. In my case, I feel the improper infrastructures and not well qualified faculty members( sometimes PG students were allowed to take class!) created the gap in understanding the subject. For that, a person should not be punished for the rest of their life. When people behave as if they are blessed and we are cursed it adds salt to the wound! They ca very well allowed to express their opinion and tell what's happein that's what the forum is for basically! But at the sametime, they are expected to understand that everyone's dream and hardwork is no way lesser to theirs in anyway. If they don wanna be nice, atleast give a shot not to be cruel in their words to their fellow human! Moreover I never knew that would reflect in the higher studies! Anyway, once again thank you dental bug for explainin and encouragin people like me that NYUCD is not the end of the road in the journey to DDS nd the hardwork will be rewarded and accepted somewhere! Finally the gpa cat is belled!

I just saw this thread and could not resist & so here are my few words. :)

Here are my Stats: Part I/II 87/77, ECE GPA: 2.83, WES: 3.45, TOEFL: 99 1-yr dental internship/work back home, 2.5 yrs dental assistant in US, and FL DH license.

I was invited for and interview at NYU a year before last. That was the only interview for me that year and the last. I was happy and nervous, the first statement that the interviewer made was we usually dont accept GPA less then 3.0 (I am thinking then why the heck you called me here:confused: ), then they say what can you do about the LOW GPA? (like I can go back to school and take classes over again, gosh!! :thumbdown:). At that time I told her I can take Part II and show that I am a good student. Then the interviewer asked me about my CBT Toefl of 230, and said that is too low too. They go on to tell that I don't have chances at NYU, but still give them the part II and higher TOEFL scores. One week later I received a NICE Rejection letter.

This statement is for people with low GPA: Overall, I am Glad that i did not get accepted to NYU, Life in NY is hectic and i know this b/c the following year one of my frnds got into NYU and they are having a tough time with commute and work load. (FYI my frnds and I are all going to graduate in 2010 :), NYU is 3 yrs and UIC is 2, many other schools are 2 yrs :). So please be patient and do the best you can. There are many universities that dont take GPA so seriously or accept WES, and are better overall school experience with less commute and less hectic life (i.e. UIC, BU, Cali schools, etc.).

So, this is what I did b/c dentistry is my passion and i wanted to get into a school: Everyone knows that you cant change your GPA. I retook the TOEFL - got 99, I received Lic as FL DH (clinical exam exp. in the US) and improved my SOP. And applied To following international dental program schools: UIC, UDM, UTSHCSA, UMN, All Cali Schools, UMDNJ, Buffalo, NYU, BU, Penn, Nova, U of M, etc, this year. I was interviewed at UIC, USC, Loma Linda, and declined interview from UMDNJ, because I received acceptance from UIC.

At NONE of the interviews I was asked, what can i do about my low GPA? I believe that a true interview/practical is about your personality not asking useless questions like what can you do about your GPA :mad: (I can understand if they ask WHY is your GPA low). So all of you with LOW Gpa NYU is not the only school, in fact it is the last option for most people b/c of the length of program, intensitiy of travel/life in NYU and cost. Improve any parts of app that you can and apply to as many schools as possible and you will get in.

**Note Disclaimer**
The above is my personal experience, in no way I am trying to offend any students or dental school. My opinions do not reflect any dental schools offical interview/practical guidelines.

Good Luck and God Bless.
Dentalbug

hi asnaan best way is to stay in a hotel near NYU as i did..n as far as transportation from LGA is concerned there are 2-3 options u can choose from, u can either take a shuttle or a cab or a path train to ur destination..i found cab to b a perfect mode coz its gona cost u almost equal to shuttle or path train but infact takes less time.good luck for ur interview.

Let me assure you once more!
NYU takes people with less than 3 gpa !
I have a couple of friends in my batch and also my seniors who have gpa in the mid 2.5 ssss...( and they were not doing research with the nephew of GV Black!:laugh:)
Do not be mislead by irresponsible comments...
once again....:thumbup: for all the applicants for NYU!
as for Nyu bashers out there.... read this and open your eyes!
http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Funding/DentalSchools/GrantstoDentalInstitutions2007.htm

Hi,
Just now I scheduled my interview for February 21
My stats are
Nbde part 1 89 (old pattern)
toefl 100
gpa 3.7
green card
Work exp: 3 yrs in home country, 1 yr in The US as DA

Applied in last week of October. Received the post card (status complete) on November 27th
Yesterday, got an e-mail for interview

I would like to thank all SDN members specially HYDBDS and fido who encouraged me to apply to NYUCD.
Cheers!
adiwana

Hi ,

Congrats on your interview call at NYU... You will definitely get accepted at NYU as your stats are very good ... the interview is going to be very cool.... just a personal interview for about 15-30 min mostly ....( very rarely do they ask subject questions..) ... Just try to be relaxed and be yourself... your interview will go fine....

Hope to meet you in class in June 2008...

:thumbup: Good Luck

ok I have found last year thread ,so you can have an idea of scores of students that got accepted last year ,there are some of them with gpa low than 3 and they got their acceptance at nyu .there are 8 pages in the thread I read the 8 pages yesterday night and I realize a lot of things here .please take a look at the thread ,try to read the 8 pages and u will have an idea of the whole process ,I am sure this is gonna help

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=353437

enjoy

u can also track some candidates stats.

Let me assure you once more!
NYU takes people with less than 3 gpa !
I have a couple of friends in my batch and also my seniors who have gpa in the mid 2.5 ssss...( and they were not doing research with the nephew of GV Black!:laugh:)
Do not be mislead by irresponsible comments...
once again....:thumbup: for all the applicants for NYU!
as for Nyu bashers out there.... read this and open your eyes!
http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Funding/DentalSchools/GrantstoDentalInstitutions2007.htm

What I wrote was not a FACT, IT was my personal experience, IN no way I am trying to hurt or mislead fellow sdners, MY intention was to give courage and alternatives to people that are not getting interviews, because i know how it feels to get rejections after rejections and no interviews, I have been applying for 3 years. I just worte my experience and also explained that this is not the NYU's policy. I was NOT bashing NYU, I was just pointing out that school life is tough, which ANY NYU students would tell you. I have no NEED to mislead anyone, I have nothing to gain from this. I am sorry if anyone was mislead. I am trying to help the frustrated indivduals.

Good Luck and God bless!! to those that are waiting.

Hi dentalbug I totally agree with you...I think NYU is not the best choice at all..I just applied because I did'nt make it for the other schools, but if I don't get into I don't care..I'd rather wait another year and I apply some where else...I know a lot of people who work there even a dean and there are not nice people...one of the dentist whom I work with advice to not go there..he works as a teacher there...

thank for your support

What I wrote was not a FACT, IT was my personal experience, IN no way I am trying to hurt or mislead fellow sdners, MY intention was to give courage and alternatives to people that are not getting interviews, because i know how it feels to get rejections after rejections and no interviews, I have been applying for 3 years. I just worte my experience and also explained that this is not the NYU's policy. I was NOT bashing NYU, I was just pointing out that school life is tough, which ANY NYU students would tell you. I have no NEED to mislead anyone, I have nothing to gain from this. I am sorry if anyone was mislead. I am trying to help the frustrated indivduals.

Good Luck and God bless!! to those that are waiting.

mcr

I appreciate your kind words. Like I said I am trying to help those that are waiting.

good luck to all that are waiting

dentalbug

now this is kinda disturbing, i feel i only have hopes of getting acceptance in nyu this year, since BU seats are full. So what do u guys think, should i wait another year and apply in again next year??? is it a bad school??

hi.could anyone tell that what is the criteria at nyu for selection after interview.Its confusing for me coz they ask the same questions to everyone and everyone answered in same way generally.They ask general questions like tell me abt u..what u did..All appllicants answer them well.So what will be the criteria???I guess part 1 score is for getting interview call.Probably they will see grades abt ur study back home.its also confusing though.we write all these in our aplications.why do they invite so many people for 120 seats.Its all confusing.Share ur thoughts pls............

hi rumz ,if you get acceptance in nyu just go for it ,how are you gonna wait for another year because of some comments here in this forum ,nyu is a great school and it has a great program ,I know lot of dentist graduated at nyu that are pretty good .wait for another year is just a waste of time because you dont know for sure if you are gonna get in any program next year.by the way have u hear from them ?this waiting is driving me crazy hhehehehehheeh it is so stressfull.good luck .

now this is kinda disturbing, i feel i only have hopes of getting acceptance in nyu this year, since BU seats are full. So what do u guys think, should i wait another year and apply in again next year??? is it a bad school??

I dont know for sure what is the criteria to select the student for interview what I know is that they cann't interview just the 125 students because not all of them are going to attend the program , a lot of them are going to drop out because they were selected in their first choice school and nyu should have a back up (waiting list)to fill out the spots .

hi.could anyone tell that what is the criteria at nyu for selection after interview.Its confusing for me coz they ask the same questions to everyone and everyone answered in same way generally.They ask general questions like tell me abt u..what u did..All appllicants answer them well.So what will be the criteria???I guess part 1 score is for getting interview call.Probably they will see grades abt ur study back home.its also confusing though.we write all these in our aplications.why do they invite so many people for 120 seats.Its all confusing.Share ur thoughts pls............

hi rumz ,if you get acceptance in nyu just go for it ,how are you gonna wait for another year because of some comments here in this forum ,nyu is a great school and it has a great program ,I know lot of dentist graduated at nyu that are pretty good .wait for another year is just a waste of time because you dont know for sure if you are gonna get in any program next year.by the way have u hear from them ?this waiting is driving me crazy hhehehehehheeh it is so stressfull.good luck .

you're right...NYU is a good school, during holiday season i met my ex-college mate who is gonna graduate this year...he gave a very good review of the school and program...

Let me tell something about nyu. Nyu is one of the best school on Northeast side. It has one of the largest patients pool which you might not find in any other college. Ask students of BU, Buffalo or any other school, how many patients do they see during their 2 yr course. Dean of Nyu, Dr Charles Bartolami was dean of UCSF before. why he joined NYU? there must something in NYU. Dentistry is not all about getting degree quickly. we all r foreign trained dentist. so we have to understand the basics thoroughly if we want to do practice in US. well there r many positive things for NYU but everyone has their own opinion.
And about student selection i dont know what r their criteria but the process is lengthy and it will last until april.

Hi does anyone know abt the practical exposure at nyu .... i really dun have any idea. sorry for asking a silly question but do we get eventually handle endodontic cases :confused:... and how can i find out abt similar kind of questions which keep popping in my mind ! :scared:

by the way have u hear from them ?this waiting is driving me crazy hhehehehehheeh it is so stressfull.good luck .

admission surely taking a toll on u guys !!! i wonder how long ! :thumbup:

:) thanks everybody, i feel good about nyu now. i dont know about endodontic cases but the guy who gave us the tour said that they've made it mandatory for each student to do atleast two implant cases, which i think is awesome. no other school is giving implant cases to students, and they are providing implant to the patients for the price of complete denture or something so they have alotttt of patients too......so i thinkkkkk if students are getting implant cases they must be getting endo ones too (but this is what the student said, not something i know for sure) now i really wish i get accepted !!!!!!!!!!!!....
will post as soon as i hear from them

hey friends,
i have some of my seniors in the 1st yr and some of them in 2nd yr of advanced standing DDS at NYU,all gives good review for the school,
NYU has a very good reputation and patient pool is also very good,students who graduate from NYU get a good starting salaries too
program is very hectic at NYU so it is for most of the programs anywhere else,so no one gets any time but thats how we can learn in short time...
the only drawback abt the school is that its a 3 yr program so becomes very expensive and thats y is the last choice for most of the students...
so if have a score of 90/above in new pattern then its ur decesion to wait for one more yr otherwise NYU is not a bad choice at all...hope it helps......

Exactly, keep in kind, every year it is getting tougher to get into schools so think and dont regret later.
NYU is a good school, I have my frens there who r very happy there. It depends upon individual.
hey friends,
i have some of my seniors in the 1st yr and some of them in 2nd yr of advanced standing DDS at NYU,all gives good review for the school,
NYU has a very good reputation and patient pool is also very good,students who graduate from NYU get a good starting salaries too
program is very hectic at NYU so it is for most of the programs anywhere else,so no one gets any time but thats how we can learn in short time...
the only drawback abt the school is that its a 3 yr program so becomes very expensive and thats y is the last choice for most of the students...
so if have a score of 90/above in new pattern then its ur decesion to wait for one more yr otherwise NYU is not a bad choice at all...hope it helps......

hello just called nyu again they said they haven 't sent out any letter as of yet ,it has been 4 weeks since I was interviewed ,please someone who has called recently ,what did they say to you ?please post the responses they have given u so we all could have an idea when are they gonna start sending the letters.this long wait is freaking me out hehehehehehhehe.

Below is from ADA.org
Dental School Rankings
Dental school applicants should be aware that there are proprietary publications available that purport to rank dental schools according to the quality of their programs. The American Dental Education Association and the American Dental Association advise applicants to view these rankings with caution. The basis for the rankings are questionable, and even those individuals most knowledgeable about dental education would admit to the difficulty of establishing criteria for, and achieving consensus on, such rankings.
All U.S. dental schools are accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation, and all have their relative strengths. A dental school ideally suited to one applicant might not be appropriate for another. The American Dental Education Association and the American Dental Association recommend that applicants investigate on their own the relative merits of the dental schools they might wish to attend.

Hope this helps

I had my interview 2 weeks ago.
Experience: As you all know this is the last step before getting accepted. I prepared very well. Read coments on the SDN, prepared answers(why nyu?, for example)...did everything that i heard i should do to prepare.
Well...I completely lost my time...The interview was fantastic, no crucial questions were asked. Only personal stuff. For example the doctor asked me about my hometown...and if i wanted to become an specialist. Thanks god i was relax. I do not know what is the purpose of the interview, i guess part of it is to know you personaly, and see your level of english and how you interact with others. To see if you can control your nerves, to see if you are strong and confident.
My advaice: RELAX, i even laughed with my interviewer, remember that even if you do not hold a us licence they are your collegues. So it is like going to a dental meeting and seeing people that are just like you. Do not fell like you are less, because you are just like them, and have a lot of things in common, and that is what they are going to ask you. IT IS JUST A CONVERSATION. I did not see anybody, of the 12 that were there, crying, o saying that they had a horrible time. Off course you are going to be nervous, that is natural, and they know that, but you have to get a hold of yourself. In my experience and the experience of my friends that are in the program all you need, IS TO BE CONFIDENT and have very good comunicational skills...because you will need them to talk to your patients and peers...
good luck to everybody...and RELAX...:luck:

Hey guys,

I was interviewed just 2 days earlier. The interview went well with just few personal questions like What were you doing these days? How did you know about this program? Would you like to move to NY? About the place I came from. Thats it. It was just a matter of 10-15minutes. We were around 15 of us. Interview got over by 10 am. Then we took a tour of the college followed by lunch. Everything was over by 12 noon. The director of the program said that they will be sending out the acceptance letter within a week or so. They have started reviewing the applicants for acceptance. Hope this helps for those who are waiting to get interviewed in the following weeks and I wish u all best of luck.

Hi friends those who attended the interview at NYU,

Did they mention in the interview as to when is the course going to start ? Is it on the first Monday in June as last year or is it going to be different this time ?

While talking about the financial aspect, did they mention that Citi bank has a special arrangement with NYU whereby they give student loan upto 40,000 dollars per annum without a co-signor ? Because last year they said so and I just wanted to know if that arrangement is there even this year or not ....

Thanks a lot......

Hi friends those who attended the interview at N
Did they mention in the interview as to when is the course going to start ? Is it on the first Monday in June as last year or is it going to be different this time ?

While talking about the financial aspect, did they mention that Citi bank has a special arrangement with NYU whereby they give student loan upto 40,000 dollars per annum without a co-signor ? Because last year they said so and I just wanted to know if that arrangement is there even this year or not ....

Thanks a lot......
Mr. HYBDS
I think you were in the wait list last year. did you get any letter this year or just inquiring. thank you.

Mr. HYBDS
I think you were in the wait list last year. did you get any letter this year or just inquiring. thank you.

Hi,

I was accepted at NYU last year but due to family reasons I had to defer my admission to this year...

Regards...

any news regarding desicions?

hai
i got interview on 21st feb in NYU. anyboys having interview on the sameday willing to share accomadation pls reply.

hai
i got interview on 21st feb in NYU. anyboys having interview on the sameday willing to share accomadation pls reply.

hi can u please tell us your stat.

anyone who's applied in january '08 been called for an interview yet?..

PART 1- 87 (new pattern)
toefl - 104
gpa-3.33

anyone who's applied in january '08 been called for an interview yet?..

I can't recall if I applied in Jan 08 or late Dec 07 but it was one of the two. I received the interview email early Feb. I have an interview sch. for Feb 25.

I can't recall if I applied in Jan 08 or late Dec 07 but it was one of the two. I received the interview email early Feb. I have an interview sch. for Feb 25.[/quote]
Your stats please!

I can't recall if I applied in Jan 08 or late Dec 07 but it was one of the two. I received the interview email early Feb. I have an interview sch. for Feb 25.
Your stats please![/quote]

My gpa is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3.5.

the rest I'm not sure what to give/what is usefull, I am from Canada as such I took the Canadian DAT.