nyu interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello All

This was MY experience 3 years ago. I believe it will help all of you. Since, NYU is pretty much the last hope for many people (b/c they start their interviews after, most of dental schools' have accepted FTDs)

I was in the same boat as many of you. At the time of applying I had Part I 87, GPA 2.83 and Toefl 230. Surprisingly I was called for an interview. So, the first comment they made was Your Gpa is too low, we usually accept students with 3.0 or higher, they also said your TOEFL score is borderline. then they asked what do you think you can do? I should have said why did you call me for an interview to tell me my scores suck :). But, anyways I said I cant change the GPA (one stat that you cant change :(). I could take the Part II and TOEFL again, and also if NYU accept me I can gurantee that my GPA 1st year would be well above 3.0.
1 week later I received a nice rejection letter.

Now this my opinion that if you have a gpa above 3 and are called for in interview early, you have a good chance, if you get called with gpa less then 3, be prepared for some scolding.

So to finish my story, I Applied to 16 schools the following year with improved application: Part I 87, Part II 77, TOEFL ibt 99, FL dental hyegienist License, 2.5 years of dental assistant and observeship.

I was interviewed at 5 schools (UIC, NJ, USC, Loma Linda, and UDM), accepted and 2. *No interview from NYU, funny thing is it not?*

The most amazing thing is, Currently I am almost done with 1 year at UIC, and love it here, one of the best schools and excellent clinical experience,
Dentalbug

thanks dentalbug.....it is really very encouraging for many of us who are still waiting to get into dental school......best of luck for future:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All

This was MY experience 3 years ago. I believe it will help all of you. Since, NYU is pretty much the last hope for many people (b/c they start their interviews after, most of dental schools' have accepted FTDs)

I was in the same boat as many of you. At the time of applying I had Part I 87, GPA 2.83 and Toefl 230. Surprisingly I was called for an interview. So, the first comment they made was Your Gpa is too low, we usually accept students with 3.0 or higher, they also said your TOEFL score is borderline. then they asked what do you think you can do? I should have said why did you call me for an interview to tell me my scores suck :). But, anyways I said I cant change the GPA (one stat that you cant change :(). I could take the Part II and TOEFL again, and also if NYU accept me I can gurantee that my GPA 1st year would be well above 3.0.
1 week later I received a nice rejection letter.

Now this my opinion that if you have a gpa above 3 and are called for in interview early, you have a good chance, if you get called with gpa less then 3, be prepared for some scolding.

So to finish my story, I Applied to 16 schools the following year with improved application: Part I 87, Part II 77, TOEFL ibt 99, FL dental hyegienist License, 2.5 years of dental assistant and observeship.

I was interviewed at 5 schools (UIC, NJ, USC, Loma Linda, and UDM), accepted and 2. *No interview from NYU, funny thing is it not?*

The most amazing thing is, Currently I am almost done with 1 year at UIC, and love it here, one of the best schools and excellent clinical experience, and we (FTDs) are well respected and liked by the professors and other dental students (non FTDS). I would not have liked the NYU commute. So, I have came to believe that what ever happens it happens for a reason :), you may not like it at that time, but it has to be for the better.

By the way, I have been blessed with an excellent GPA at UIC :) so far, keep my fingers crossed

Good Luck to all

Note/disclaimer: Above is my personal experience, it is not the opinion or policy of any dental school.

Dentalbug
Hi Dentalbug,

thanks for all the info u shared it really helps especially people with low gpa.

well can u please share information abt FLORIDA dental hygiene license.

really appreciate ur help
thanks and god bless with future endeveours.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone....
day started at 8.00 am and they started interview at that time. we were around 10 of us and 3 prof were interviewing.
my interview was with dr. dawson he is very cool guy. just he started reviewing my application and he asked regarding my MPA program and then he saw my sop and i have mention ab8 my observership in it so he asked me regarding that. i told him that i have being observing since aug and the doc is also a prof in nyu so he marked something in sop and thats it he asked me if i had any ques....
after that we were wainting in discussion room and then director came and gave some information ab8 nyu and then school tour and lunch.
its was cool and not at all like interview so relax and go thorugh sop and resume....
all the best....

hey serenarils,

i am also an indian girl.i have got the call from nyu.so can u share the experience with me/? pls send me yr contact no. on [email protected]
pls reply. it's urgent.
thanks
hey .

I am an Indian girl and I am interviewing Nyu on the 13 th january .

Is any one willing to share accommodation for the nyu interview ..

Please get back to me

Regards

serena

Last edited:
hi dr jamnagar,

i have got call from nyu. so i was wondering if u can share yr experience about the interview. u can also e mail me at [email protected].

thanks.
No i dont have any conformation from NYU. They told me only that interview will strart from 8-00 am and nothing else.

i am planing to call them on monday for detail. let me know if u have any detail.
give me ur contact no. so we can contact each other befor interview...

Hi Cristine .....
Congrats for ur Interview call from NYU ...... Can u tell us when did u get d call & when is ur interview ?????? ALso, can u tell us ur stats ??????
Thanks & All d best

Anyone got an interview call ?

It seems that either NYU is not calling and conductiong interviews or friends on SDN are busy or... just avoiding to write.

Share friends!
thats the only link where we all know from each other ...what is happening.?...Otherwise, we can't get this info as school policies are very confidential.

Best wishes to everyone !

It seems that either NYU is not calling and conductiong interviews or friends on SDN are busy or... just avoiding to write.

Share friends!
thats the only link where we all know from each other ...what is happening.?...Otherwise, we can't get this info as school policies are very confidential.

185 friends viewed the post and i did not hear anything from anyone......strange !

Good luck to everyone !

Hi Dentalbug,

thanks for all the info u shared it really helps especially people with low gpa.

well can u please share information abt FLORIDA dental hygiene license.

really appreciate ur help
thanks and god bless with future endeveours.

When I applied for FL DH, an international trained dentist required the follwoing:

1. Part I and II OR FL DH national boards
2. FL DH law exam
3. ECE eval (i believe now it is helath profession eval - check with fl board)
4. Practical exam held at Nova or Univ of Fl

Please call Florida Department of Health for up to date information, they are very helpful - I believe FL clinical exam is taken twice a year.

good luck

Dentalbug

Any body from jan 13 nterview group, or any other member of SDN, do u have an idea on the basis of previous years that when does NYU give the results after the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)

Share friends!

185 friends viewed the post and i did not hear anything from anyone......strange !

Good luck to everyone !

This is not uncommon but the most common is the banana dance..... hope you understand

You will see lot of strangers will show the banada dance upon acceptance.

Having said that people who has been accepted are contributing lot to extend their support but they do not have information about what is going on now.

Any body from jan 13 nterview group, or any other member of SDN, do u have an idea on the basis of previous years that when does NYU give the results after the interview?

Elderwand

I think you will start seeing banana dance :Don NYU acceptance thread after 24 th of March.... just guessing basis on previous year.

Last edited:

Good luck to everyone !

this is not uncommon but the most common is the banana dance..... Hope you understand

you will see lot of strangers will show the banada dance upon acceptance.

having said that people who has been accepted are contributing lot to extend their support but they do not have information about what is going on now.

well said

when i applied for fl dh, an international trained dentist required the follwoing:

1. Part i and ii or fl dh national boards
2. Fl dh law exam
3. Ece eval (i believe now it is helath profession eval - check with fl board)
4. Practical exam held at nova or univ of fl

please call florida department of health for up to date information, they are very helpful - i believe fl clinical exam is taken twice a year.

Good luck

dentalbug

thanks dentalbug really appreciate ur help.

Good luck and best wishes

Share friends!

Best wishes to everyone ![/QU

Not sure of it, but when calling NYU they say application under review. Didn't hear abt new batch of interviews..

hope for best,live rest on Almighty!!
good luck!!

hey, i also called nyu today and they said that my application is under review...not sure what that means exactly:confused:

I had my interview today. As posted by other members, interview was easy and "relaxing". Just couple questions about my plans, future and past (what i wrote in my personal statement). Nothing was really hard or difficult.

One thing we were told is that they are planning to interview about 150-160 people (to keep waiting list short) and admit 125. Admission office won't be sending acceptance letters till deadline (February 1st), and applicants can expect to see acceptance letters starting the middle of February.

Good luck everyone awaiting interview calls.

I too had emailed them about the status of my application and got a reply saying my application was under review. Hopefully they start calling people for the next round of interviews soon.

thanks so much kalvydas.. i 've already interviewed and was wondering when to expect any sort of calls.. appreciate your update.. good luck to all of us!!

I had my interview today. As posted by other members, interview was easy and "relaxing". Just couple questions about my plans, future and past (what i wrote in my personal statement). Nothing was really hard or difficult.

One thing we were told is that they are planning to interview about 150-160 people (to keep waiting list short) and admit 125.

Thanks for sharing Kdas !

Considering all the other factors, I think NYU would not be able to pick 125 candidates from 160... the number will be much more than that may be arround 200.

But, if they could able to that then that woould be a...HISTORY:D ( about 75 % guaranteed admission ....... 125/160:cool:)

Last edited:

One thing we were told is that they are planning to interview about 150-160 people (to keep waiting list short) and admit 125. Admission office won't be sending acceptance letters till deadline (February 1st), and applicants can expect to see acceptance letters starting the middle of February.

Good luck everyone awaiting interview calls.

Best of luck for acceptance!!!!!!!!

Thank you for such information..

Can u please tell us how many applicants have been interviewed? what were the score range?

It would be helpful for us ?:thumbup:

Hello Friends,
Today I got an interview call frm Nyu and I haved scheduled it on Feb 3rd.

All the best to those who are waiting...

Last edited:
I called NYU last week. they said my application is complete, they reviewed it but no decission yet! When he said that it was just like cold water running on my back:( I don't know but I will prepare for worst. this is my last chance this year I got rejected from all others. but I improved my NBDE 83 TO 89 and studying for part 2.

best of luck to everyone

I called NYU last week. they said my application is complete, they reviewed it but no decission yet! When he said that it was just like cold water running on my back:( I don't know but I will prepare for worst. this is my last chance this year I got rejected from all others. but I improved my NBDE 83 TO 89 and studying for part 2.

best of luck to everyone
89 is so good for NYU but I hope that ur GPA is good because they it is a major factor.

Hello Friends,
Stat- 89/102/3.29

Hi...UTHSC

Congrates for call...me too got a call...I scheduled for 5th feb...

All the best to all those who are waiting.........:thumbup:

Hello Friends,
Stat- 89/102/3.29

hi even i have scheduled it for 3rd feb,will see u there.:thumbup:

I too received the call yesterday...scheduled for feb 5th.

I got an interview call from nyu.I have scheduled it on 29th January.My stats are
Nbde part 1-86 ; Toefl 111; Gpa 3.39. Plz reply if anyone else has set up an interview on the 29th.Best of luck to all.

hey canine84 congrats for the magic call and all the best......do share ur experience once you are done.....

Hi...UTHSC

Congrates for call...me too got a call...I scheduled for 5th feb...

All the best to all those who are waiting.........:thumbup:

hey dentoquest can u post your stats and also your work experience....all the best for the i/v:)

Thank you for the wishes, my scores are.. NBDE part 1 -86, toefl-104, GPA- 3.83.

i got an email from nyu today askin me to call and schedule for an interview. all the best to everyone applyin to nyu.

I too got an email from nyu for the interview. any body has an idea by when do u get free on the day of interview. I wanna book my flight accordingly...and which airport is nearest to NYU....

Hi,
can u pls tell me when did u apply to NYU, as i had applied on 29th dec & they are saying application is still not procesed. just want to have an idea how long it takes.:scared:

best of luck to everyone

Hi can u pls guide me as to how to prepare for FL DH national boards, the book to refer etc.mail id [email protected]
any help would be really apreciated. :)

When I applied for FL DH, an international trained dentist required the follwoing:

1. Part I and II OR FL DH national boards
2. FL DH law exam
3. ECE eval (i believe now it is helath profession eval - check with fl board)
4. Practical exam held at Nova or Univ of Fl

Please call Florida Department of Health for up to date information, they are very helpful - I believe FL clinical exam is taken twice a year.

good luck

Dentalbug

We both have BU and NYU interview same day, see you there in Nyu on Feb 3rd...

hey guys...my stats are NBDE1- 89,TOEFL-92,GPA-3.58 and I have applied with these stats to NYU..but later I have given TOEFL exam for improvement and my score came to be 109 but I have not updated these scores...Pls tell me whether I have the probability of getting the interview call from the university or do I need to get my TOEFL scores updated.Guide me please as I m running out of time ...pls,pls,plssssss

Hi can u pls guide me as to how to prepare for FL DH national boards, the book to refer etc.mail id [email protected]
any help would be really apreciated. :)

I did not take the FL DH national boards, I had taken Part I and II, which was good enough to qualify for FL DH license exam. So, I don't know about study materials for FL DH NB.

Good luck

Dentalbug

hi,
even i got interview call .. will schedule it on 3rd or 5th feb...

newlink:

mine took 2 month I applied on september by november I got a letter that my application is complete

hey...any female( preferably indian) willing to share accomodation for feb 5 th NYU interview. Kindly pm me...

HEy guys...al those planning to join NYU, in case u get an option..and the Advanced placed students at NYU...wat is your take on the expenses for three year program in city like New york..Wat r part time job options( for ur living expenses)while studying in NY ....and to wat extent r the loans succesfull?...and how much time does it take for an average earning dentist to pay off these loans....Any suggestions?

I was interviewed at nyu ....the interview started in the morning at 8.00 am sharp ...be there on time ..take into consideration traffic .....the interview is pretty relaxed nothing stressful....one interviewer per person .... abt 20 odd minutes....and later a tour of the school...all the very best to all :thumbup::)

I was interviewed at nyu ....the interview started in the morning at 8.00 am sharp ...be there on time ..take into consideration traffic .....the interview is pretty relaxed nothing stressful....one interviewer per person .... abt 20 odd minutes....and later a tour of the school...all the very best to all :thumbup::)
hii dear, can u share ur stats wid us........

Hey...were u asked any clinical questions?....by when did u get free after everything was over?

nope no clinical questions.....we were done by 12 :30 pm......