Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

NYU Med, Class of 2013!

Discussion in 'Allopathic Class Threads' started by mrx2, Dec 23, 2008.

1. mrx2

10+ Year Member

Starting the celebration! Who is excited?!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    me!!!!!!

i was trying to find info about the curriculum on their website but no luck.. :(

4. mrx2

10+ Year Member

Yeah, their website is pretty useless. I'm starting to get a little nervous about the debt/financial aid situation because I hear they are pretty stingy...and of course their website provides no info for this either hah

5. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    haha thats what i was searching for too!

i did find this:
    http://www.med.nyu.edu/studentaffairs/handbook/4-Student_Handbook_0810.pdf

6. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    so.. I originally posted this in the main Allo forum but I guess I should post here and hope and pray that current NYU students come by and visit?:

Hey!:hello:
    So chances are that I will be going to NYU come August and I have just come across a few questions:

- From my interviews it seems like many schools no longer use actual histology slides but everything is on the computer. Is that the case for NYU as well?
    - Some schools like mount sinai make a big deal about drug testing before you start and I was wondering if NYU also drug tests? (not that I am worried about anything crazy, but after college summer trip to Amsterdam does sound awesome)
    - What is ALEX?
    - Are you given syllabi for your classes? do you need textbooks?

Thanks a lot guys! :soexcited:

7. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    NYU doesn't have a second look, right?

8. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i wish... i really would love to go see it again, esp since the first time i didnt really get it, being sick and all.

9. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Aww, well at least you live nearby, you can probably ask for a tour sometime.

I was just dumb and never really paid attention to anything during my interviews. I got a good vibe from NYU but I'd have to see it again to be sure :thumbup:

10. mrx2

10+ Year Member

There isn't?? Ahh, I was sick too and never really paid attention to everything.

11. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    haha glad i wasnt the only one then

12. thejonqproject

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    hey guys im a student here in the class of 2012 if u have any questions about the school feel free to pm me .

also if u want to come check it out feel free to pm me as well and i can show u around.

nyu is a great place .

13. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yesterday I went to just look around the area and relaly loved it!! you could not think of a better place to live!! I love the area. there is like a movie theater nearby and borders and petco if you have pets and gristedes for groceries.
    i also couldnt resist and got myself a NYU med hoodie and sweatpants. .....*blush* lol

14. mkitty09

mkitty09 crazy cat lady
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    nyu doesnt have second look??? lameee

15. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i made such a stupid mistake ... i guess thats what i get for being way too excited about this.. when i got the hoodie i bought a mug, and accidentally bought a college of dentistry mug which I am sort of stuck with. i need to return it within 2 weeks but i am leaving on monday and i got it last week and they are closed this week...
    maybe one of my friends will get into the dental school there? lol

16. Carlin

Carlin Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey everyone!

I got into NYU just before Christmas, and I can't say how sure I am that I'll end up there. I guess it all depends on a bunch of factors. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi since we might all be classmates next year!

~Carlin

17. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    any 3rd and 4th year NYU students willing to talk about what those years are like there? any concerns, problems, or the like?

18. ngkats

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is it just me, or does the NYU website seem a bit lacking.

Seriously, I can't find very much information about anything and when I do find the right page, it's because I used some exotic search method and arrived at a semi-secret page.

Just venting...

19. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    agreed!! so frustrating!

20. ao648

Medical Student
    Hey all,

I'm a 3rd yr student at NYU. I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys have! And congratulations on getting in!

21. Vicki Caldwell

Pre-Medical
    How does NYU notify students if they are accepted, rejected or waitlisted? How long does it take?

22. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ao, woudl you mind just telling us a little bit about nyu? likes and dislikes? anything at all? the website is so bare bones :(

23. bk kafka

Nyu 2013!!!!!

24. ao648

Medical Student
    Yes, our website is awful. I know the student council has been trying to get them to update it but I guess not yet so sorry about that.

Vicki- I can't help you with admissions information. They have changed the process since I applied in terms of when you hear. The only thing I can tell you is that if you get waitlisted, you can hear as early as May 15th about getting in and they take A LOT of people off the waitlist so if that happens seriously try not to be upset.

ar & everyone else- NYU is amazing and I love it (as much as you can love med school). There is a lot of discussion about changes being made to the curriculum so it all might change when you guys get here. But I can tell you that the first two years are hard but manageable and really fun. All the lectures are transcribed for you and the audio is posted on an itunes site as well. That way, except for anatomy lab and the small seminars, you never have to go to lecture if you don't want to (awesome if you are like me and hate lectures). The two years are also pass fail 100% so it doesn't matter if you get a 70 or a 95. Also, the school organizes and pays for tons of social events (formals, ski trips, post-exam parties) so you work hard and play hard. Do you guys want to know specifics of the curriculum? Like the classes etc? I can give you that as well. In terms of dislikes, it would have to be the disorganization and sometimes lack of support from the administration. But it seems like this is common at all med schools. You don't always know your schedule in advance which I find challenging.

Let me know what specfics you want to know. It's hard to just kind of give a huge overall of the whole school.

25. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    wow, thanks ao!
    how often do you get exams? what are those usually like and do you take them in class? (im just thinking of mt sinai with their crazy take-exam-anytime-over-the-weekend stuff lol)
    how are clinical rotations decided? is it a lottery system? and which hospitals do you rotate at?
    do you use/buy many textbooks?

26. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm an MS3 at NYU. As I recall I had a rather lengthy post in the class of 2012, or perhaps 2011 thread with a description of the curriculum.

Exams were on average every 4 weeks or so during my first year (2 weeks - 6 weeks or so), just based on how long it takes to cover a given section in anatomy, etc. Exams were taken as a class, most take 2-3 hours on a weekday as I recall.

Histo still uses microscopes and slides, but they also have digital slides you can use if you prefer.

Third year schedule is determined by a lottery system. There are 17 different schedules put together, everyone is assigned a random lottery number and basically you get to pick in order of your lottery number. Not the best system in my opinion (if you have a bad lottery number you can end up with a schedule that looks nothing like what you wanted).

Congrats on getting into NYU. I thought the first two years were really challenging, (but lots of fun as well); MS3 has been terrific so far. Best of luck to everyone, feel free to PM me with questions.

~Dakota

Edit: I got an email a few days ago about helping to plan a revisit weekend, so it looks like something is in the works. I know when I was deciding where to go the second look weekend was what really sold me, hopefully they will do an equally good job this year.

27. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    oh man! i really really hope they do a revisit weekend! that would be so fantastic.

28. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just got another email, revisit day will be Friday April 24th. It's just now being planned, so no itinerary yet.

29. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yay! Thanks for passing that on :thumbup:

30. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    poor nyu class of 2013.. we may not get any new members until march

31. ngkats

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ah, so there is a revisit weekend. That's exciting! Everyone who's accepted going to go?

32. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i think it may be just one day, the friday april 24 no?

33. ngkats

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I see. Is there any official notice about this yet or do we just know this from the posters above?

34. ngkats

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    EDIT: posted the same thing twice...

35. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    just from the poster above.

36. rojo3831

Medical Student
    .Hey whats up everyone I'm a 1st year here at NYU and I'm part of the revisit committee that is planning events for your guys’ day. The administration is going to probably be sending out info to everyone that already got accepted shortly about revisit day, but basically they are probably going to try to provide housing for everyone for that thursday night before the friday revisit day since the day will start pretty early. Off the record, we are probably going to be planning a party on that friday night for everyone that wants to stick around for the night. However, it’s not going to be "administration approved" (even though they know about it - they don't want to look like they are supporting getting prospective students drunk...) which basically means that in the letter they will send out to you it will probably only say thursday night available housing to stay with a student, but if the student that puts you up is cool and you want to stay friday night then go for it. It will be a sick time.

Other than that. The school does not drug test ( I know someone mentioned that earlier in the thread)

We are doing histology right now and they say that this will probably be the last year that they will use microscopes because all the slides are online and there is a new program that is like google earth where you can zoom in and zoom out and rotate the slide and stuff which is really cool, basically student feedback told them that the computer program is way more helpful than the actually microscope slides so they are doing away with them.

I know the schools’ website kinda sucks and they don't post much detail about the curriculum etc. Someone asked about ALEX - it is this online database that basically contains all the info you need as a student for your classes and schedule and stuff. and has recorded lectures powerpoint slides resources and a bunch of stuff. Its confusing as hell at first cuz a lot is going on, but it actually is nice to have all this information in one place. (You probably can't access ALEX yet so don't worry about it...unless they change it, we didn't have access until a couple weeks b4 school started)

Admissions stuff - this year is the first year that they are doing semi-rolling admissions which basically means that they sent out a handful of acceptances in december, and a few in Jan. the rest will go out on March 1-3 I believe. The school usually accepts a total of about 360-80 or something around there I think they have said in the past, but only about 320 will probably be given by march which means that if you are waitlisted there is a good chance you will get an acceptance over the summer. I know in my class there were probably at least 25 students that I have talked to that got in off the waitlist. One of them was accepted 5 days before school started so getting waitlisted isn't necessarily the end.

Some of you may already know you want to come here or maybe you know you don't want to, but for those that are really having trouble deciding, or who will have trouble deciding, I will try to help you out. Deciding where to go to school was probably the hardest thing for me last year, but I have to say that picking NYU was probably the best decision for me. Everyone is different and has different opinions, but if you like the big city life you can't really beat NYC. Everyone in my class is awesome (I was totally surprised) and pretty chill. We all go out and have a good time and party and enjoy the city outside of med school. Aside from that if you are looking at training I think the thing that did it for me in the end was the clinical training I would get. Everyone is going to learn the same material in the first 2 years because the schools have to teach it to you for the boards, and yeah some schools may have nicer equipment for example in their anatomy labs, but what it comes down to is the clinical training you will get in your 3rd and 4th years because that is where the difference is apparent, and I don’t think you can really beat the population diversity of patients in NYC and Bellevue hospital is pretty ridiculous. From what I have heard from 3rd and 4th years you will see stuff in that hospital that other medical students will only ever read about in text books. So for me, that was really the deciding factor. Again everyone values different things when deciding where to go and by no means am I putting down other schools or locations. I am only trying to help people that may be in the same situation I was in last year. If anyone has any questions feel free to hit me up..

.NYU is an amazing place..

37. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    wow.. rojo, you are fantastic. thank you sooo soo much for posting this!!! Hopefully I'll see you at the revisit lol

38. ngkats

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That was really great. Thanks for taking the time to describe the school. April should be fun.

39. Meetchy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I asked this already in the secondary app thread, but I might as well ask it here too. How are you guys going about with the financial aid stuff? Are you just submitting the FAFSA and waiting for their office to contact you?
    Thanks.

40. ngkats

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, I'm submitting my FAFSA this weekend and going to wait for them. Maybe I'll give them a call or an email. I've had some correspondence with the financial aid office so far and they seem pretty helpful.

41. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey i was wondering if any current students can post an exam schedule? iknow theyll change from year to year but it would be nice to have an idea.

42. bk kafka

hey anyone know if there's a due date for our fafsa?

43. Tiare208

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello, all! Admitted in December but only found this page now...SDN is a mystery to me still.

44. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    bk kafka, i think the priority deadline for FAFSA is march1... so this weekend may be a good time to do it ;)
    and tiare, welcome!!!!

45. OrthoORbust

Medical Student
    I never used SDN, but I figured I would say whatup to my future class of 2013. So, hello all!

46. YanksFan02

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

hey guys, congrats on getting in! nyu is an great place and in a great part of nyc...it's a good time.

exams are relatively frequent...there's probably one every 2-3 weeks. the school does a good job in terms of scheduling, though -- there's usually an exam on a friday, right before a vacation or some other extended weekend. also, there are some pretty awesome post exam parties, which nyu subsidizes for us.

we're having a second look day this year which will be pretty good...they just told us about the schedule, and you'll get a really good picture of what life is like here. i think its the last thursday-friday in april.

get psyched guys!

47. YanksFan02

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    and don't hesitate to PM me if you have other questions or want to stop by!

48. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    whoa its a thurs to fri thing? not just friday? lol thats really cool :)
    i cant wait for the revisit; ive pretty much made my decision but i still want to see it again before august!!

49. Anotherface

Anotherface Needs to get off ***
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello everyone.
    I'm dropping by too let you all know that I am subscribing to NYU class of 2013. I will definitely attend 2nd look and hope they set a date soon so we can all start making plans.

50. mca

mca
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the second look weekend, but I can't wait to meet all you guys in August!

51. Anotherface

Anotherface Needs to get off ***
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ok, so its official. The dates for 2nd look are April 23-24.