NYU medical school is now tuition-free

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sobertiger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So they are doing free tuition now and forward? so anyone applying this cycle will also get free full ride?!?!? omg sound like a heaven.

Can they make dental school tuition free too?!?!? :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I gotta apply to NYU dental now. Hopefully, they will make the dental school tuition-free too.

Mhm try convincing people to donate money to a DENTAL school.

Anyways, high tuition prices at dental schools are totally driven by dental school themselves, rather than the universities they are affiliated with.

I'd be pissed if I was in the other NYU schools. Hopefully they get some love soon too.

I wouldn't count on the dental school getting free tuition anytime soon. An article i read said that they have been saving money for 11 years to make this happen, and they only saved $450M of their $600M goal. So I wouldn't apply to NYU if you're just banking on it being free tuition in the future, because it more likely than not won't be free.

The fact that they actually saved 450 million is an incredible feat.
Most dental schools lose money and any money they save are put into trying to outdo each other in “technological advancements”.

Also good luck having any dentist donate a single cent.
NYU med will have so many donations from these doctors when they get established and that will continue the trend.

I wouldn't count on the dental school getting free tuition anytime soon. An article i read said that they have been saving money for 11 years to make this happen, and they only saved $450M of their $600M goal. So I wouldn't apply to NYU if you're just banking on it being free tuition in the future, because it more likely than not won't be free.
They probably could have saved the whole $600M, but they only skimmed 10% off the dental school tuition to do it. Maybe if they had gone up to 15% they would have made it. Hindsight is 20/20.

Big Hoss

As long as banks keep issuing loans for whatever price the board of trustees sets for the year and 10-15 people keep applying for every 1 seat in dental school, Dental school will never be free. Simple supply and demand.

NYU has 350 people per class that each will pay the school 450K each over the next four years. they would miss that money if everyone just came for free.

As long as banks keep issuing loans for whatever price the board of trustees sets for the year and 10-15 people keep applying for every 1 seat in dental school, Dental school will never be free. Simple supply and demand.

NYU has 350 people per class that each will pay the school 450K each over the next four years. they would miss that money if everyone just came for free.
But isn't medical school same too? 10-15 students keep applying for 1 seat, insane tuition etc?

But isn't medical school same too? 10-15 students keep applying for 1 seat, insane tuition etc?

Their tuition is 55k a year for medical school versus 79k for dental school. 30% more tuition to make far less than any doc. Oh I haven’t added the instrument fees the doctors don’t have to buy.

30% more tuition to make far less than any doc.

This really isn't true. If you own your own practice you will make more than a good amount of MD's unless you are trying to practice in NYC, LA, etc.

Especially once you factor in the tax advantages of owning your own practice and the current state of medical insurance, it becomes even less true. Of course you will have a bunch of debt, but there are several cases of Dr's mitigating this with the proper buisness strategy. For non practice owning Dr's however you are correct.

Reactions: 1 user
This really isn't true. If you own your own practice you will make more than a good amount of MD's unless you are trying to practice in NYC, LA, etc.

Especially once you factor in the tax advantages of owning your own practice and the current state of medical insurance, it becomes even less true. Of course you will have a bunch of debt, but there are several cases of Dr's mitigating this with the proper buisness strategy. For non practice owning Dr's however you are correct.

Doctors can also open their own private practices and do the same thing with less overhead. Doctors on average make more. Stop comparing anecdotal accounts of “oh this dentist made this much or that dentist make that much”

The averages reported are non anecdotal and shows doctors making more than dentists on average.
Tell me why Columbia’s medical tuition is free while your dental tuition isn’t? Doctors donate far more than dentists for a reason, because they make more.
Will you donate 100k in the future to some kind of columbia Dental fund?

Reactions: 2 users
Can you imagine just graduating from NYU med school and hearing this? I'd be a little upset.

Can you imagine those who took a military scholarship to pay for school?

Reactions: 6 users
Doctors can also open their own private practices and do the same thing with less overhead. Doctors on average make more. Stop comparing anecdotal accounts of “oh this dentist made this much or that dentist make that much”

The averages reported are non anecdotal and shows doctors making more than dentists on average.
Tell me why Columbia’s medical tuition is free while your dental tuition isn’t? Doctors donate far more than dentists for a reason, because they make more.
Will you donate 100k in the future to some kind of columbia Dental fund?

Doctors opening their own private practice is much more rare than dentistry (try opening your own OR). Sure on average they make more, but the average is largely irrelevant. My main issue is the idea they make "far less". Hell just heck the ADA salary averages and they paint a much different picture.

Columbia's tuition actually isn't "free" like NYU they just cover the portion that is supposed to be covered based on need. And it is actually possible I would donate back to Columbia, you should have picked a bigger number :p

Also, if we want to compare to the Columbia donor who made the donation for the tuition scholarship here, he made most of his money as a pharma executive not as a clinician.

Reactions: 1 user