NYU Merger Rumors put to rest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pi__Guy1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Merger is official. No name change, same diploma, nothing other than research is effected....and maybe an influx of females :thumbup:

Dear Colleagues – Yesterday the NYU Board of Trustees formally approved the move of the Steinhardt Division of Nursing to the College of Dentistry. Effective September 1, 2005, the nursing program will become a College of Nursing within the NYU College of Dentistry. Importantly, virtually all concerns of our academic community have been met as the President and Provost thoughtfully modified their original recommendations to meet the concerns of faculty and students concerning the name of the College, the diploma awarded, the dignity of each profession and so forth.

I have copied below the notice that the University released to the press today. You will note in the second paragraph that “Both Nursing and Dentistry will continue to pursue robust independent academic agendas . . .” Thus, we will continue to evolve as one of the great dental schools in the world as we take advantage of the many synergies in research, teaching and practice that will come from this new collaboration with Nursing. Said another way, we will become more than we are today; and dental and nursing students who come here will have the opportunity to work together and to experience something extra. When they graduate they will be fully qualified for conventional careers in dentistry or nursing, or they can choose to work together in ways not yet imagined. Indeed, 95 years ago when the first Dental Hygiene school was founded, most dentists at the time were opposed to the concept, many couldn’t conceive of a way to work with this new profession, and dentists ultimately forced the closure of the new school. A century later, we have 275 Dental Hygiene schools, a great partnership between dentists and dental hygienists, and as a team, we serve the public better than ever.

Finally, NYU is a formidable Research I University. Accordingly, the confidence that the NYU Trustees, President and Provost have demonstrated in us by placing a College of Nursing within our College of Dentistry is a huge complement both to our College, and to the profession itself. I am in the enviable position of guiding a dental school that can take pride in its leadership positions in so many areas. We truly are transforming our building, our college, and our profession; and, as we progress to our 150th anniversary, I want to express my sincere appreciation for allowing me to lead you at this exciting time.

Sincerely,
Dean Alfano

If anybody wants me to paste the press release, let me know...

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations to all NYU colleagues. maybe you'd be lucky enough and get the phys ther school added as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, wouldn't it make more sense to collaborate nursing students with med-students? Nursing and dental students doesn't have a lot in common as with med-students. It makes more sense to me that dental students and dental hygienists go together, or nursing and pre-med go together. I wonder why NYU decide to put the two not-so-much related fields together.

Dr.Smiley-OR said:
In my opinion, wouldn't it make more sense to collaborate nursing students with med-students? Nursing and dental students doesn't have a lot in common as with med-students. It makes more sense to me that dental students and dental hygienists go together, or nursing and pre-med go together. I wonder why NYU decide to put the two not-so-much related fields together.

I agree. I think there are some underlying issues involved here (funding/research)...and the way New York University covers it up is by somehow making it sound like this merger is an innovative trend in the healthcare field. No big deal though. It doesn't really effect the students here. I always look forward on days when the oral hygiene girls are in our clinic...and I'm sure I'd welcome the opportunity to work with the nursing students too... ;)

Pi__Guy1 said:
I agree. I think there are some underlying issues involved here (funding/research)...and the way New York University covers it up is by somehow making it sound like this merger is an innovative trend in the healthcare field. No big deal though. It doesn't really effect the students here. I always look forward on days when the oral hygiene girls are in our clinic...and I'm sure I'd welcome the opportunity to work with the nursing students too... ;)

Two professors in my gross anatomy lab also seem to teach some classes in NYU. I overheard them talking about suggesting a "school of medicine & dental hygiene to complement the school dental & nursing".