NYU, Stony, BU, or TUFTS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

MrZ123

DAT: AA/TS/PAT 21/22/21
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you choose?

PLEASE post reasoning below !!!

PS - Pretend money doesn't matter

Members don't see this ad.

Any comments on why you guys voted the way you did?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard the best things about Boston. Good Luck :)

Money is not going to be one of the factors for me choosing, so please just vote one pure "I like this school the best" or "This school has the most qualified grads" etc.

Why are people so in love with stony brook besides it being cheap?

how is stony cheap, you have high rent and u need a car in that area and all other expenses which builds up. if u live in NYC, i see NYU as being not soo expensive u can still live at home and if u know where to go u can eat for cheap and save up on having to have a car and all.

Those expenses build up, but not to an axtra $40,000 which NYU costs. But again, I don't care about cost, I am wondering about the schools themselves.

Those expenses build up, but not to an axtra $40,000 which NYU costs. But again, I don't care about cost, I am wondering about the schools themselves.

My god,you just dont stop,do you:laugh: We're lowly pre-dents,you should be askin your daddy to consult w/his million dollar income fellow dentites and then determine what school to choose. :idea:

/sarcasm

Oh amsie, time to go on AIM for you...

I still haven't heard a single good argument for Stony Brook...

Is it just a zoo cause there are soo many students?

Members don't see this ad :)
How would you know

Stony- awesome school... been there few times... have friends there who wouldnt trade this school for nothing.. classmates all help each other.. so far the only school that i know that has paperless system( no charts, digital x-rays). THe BEST for general dentists- starts clinical very early, high emphasis on clinical. integrated with medicine-as a result students do well on boards. Everybody gets into specialty of their choice, from what i know... I love it, yet i still debate b/w it and Columbia

How many root canals does a SB student do before graduation?

Stony- awesome school... been there few times... have friends there who wouldnt trade this school for nothing.. classmates all help each other.. so far the only school that i know that has paperless system( no charts, digital x-rays). THe BEST for general dentists- starts clinical very early, high emphasis on clinical. integrated with medicine-as a result students do well on boards. Everybody gets into specialty of their choice, from what i know... I love it, yet i still debate b/w it and Columbia

Arizona is paperless too. Just FYI for someone doing a search on this topic.

how is stony cheap, you have high rent and u need a car in that area and all other expenses which builds up. if u live in NYC, i see NYU as being not soo expensive u can still live at home and if u know where to go u can eat for cheap and save up on having to have a car and all.

actually, i live in the dorms at stony and i pay 350 a month, which is dirt cheap and i walk to school every morning, which takes me 15 minutes when i am walking slowly. and if i am taking basic science classes i end up walking 5 minutes to the health science center.

i heard that fourth years at Tufts have a hard time finding patients to complete all their requirements on. I heard of students having to fly family members in. thats the only input i have :oops:

Hi fightingspirit, Which dorm do you stay and do you have to share? I would like to know more about housing because i am going to SB for sure. :thumbup:
Thanks a lot!

actually, i live in the dorms at stony and i pay 350 a month, which is dirt cheap and i walk to school every morning, which takes me 15 minutes when i am walking slowly. and if i am taking basic science classes i end up walking 5 minutes to the health science center.

Hi fightingspirit, Which dorm do you stay and do you have to share? I would like to know more about housing because i am going to SB for sure. :thumbup:
Thanks a lot!

i live in chapin. i do share with someone else the bedroom which sucks and is at the expense of privacy. however, i am 3 minutes away from the health science center so i study in the library and i have a good relationship with my roommate. we're both young men so we agreed on certain things to allow our lives a little bit of private, even though we share the bedroom. about 7 people from the class are also at chapin. about 15 people from the med-school are also here.

Stony Brook is an amazing school. You are truly lucky to get a spot at Stony Brook. I am a D1 at stony and turned down harvard, upenn, columbia, bu, tufts, nyu, umdnj, temple, buffalo, usc to go to stony brook, and it wasn't a matter of money, it was a matter of what school could offer me the best. The small class size is very unique, and they give you all the attention you need. At a lot of other schools if you mess up (which is really hard to do at stony brook b/c they help you so much) you are out of there...stony brook will really work to keep you till even if it takes an extra year or two. The second years already are seeing patients in their first semester of second year which is really early and they all feel ready. The upperclasses are great at helping you through the ins and outs. you really can't get a better deal than stony brook. We are in pre-clinic now and there are always plently of professors around to help you...not like some other schools. Really any dental school will get you where you want, but i believe stony brook does all they can do to help you get wherever you want. So far all of my friends in 4th years have matched for their residencies! What else can I say about stony brook...besides hopefully we'll see you here next year! If you have any more questions you can PM me...and my classmate fighting spirit rocks!

guys....mich is the sarah jessica parker of our class....if you get accepted, you'll get to see her and her uncanny fashionablity .....she'll be a big sib for one of you...

Hmm, sounds like an added bonus. I'll be seeing you there next year. On another note, how are the workout facilities around Stonybrook and how far away are they?

Hmm, sounds like an added bonus. I'll be seeing you there next year. On another note, how are the workout facilities around Stonybrook and how far away are they?

As far as the on campus gym it is kind of small and is crowded with little undergrad kids all the time. There are several gyms though within a few miles of the school so that would probably be your best bet if you enjoy lifting a lot. The first semester will be tough but I still made time to lift at least 3-4 days a week.

Nice, maybe I'll be fortunate enough to have him as my big.

Any NYU 1st years out their with some positive experiences?

I think NYU has more serious students than Stonybrook. They're actually studying at this time of the academic year and not wasting their time in a "predental" forum.

Or it could be that they actually go and enjoy the city rather than spend time visiting SDN for fun. j/k

DDSY, it may also be that students from Stonybrook actually take a vested interest in the class that is comming up behind them. Chances are they will be meeting us in person in the near future. Where as at NYU you would be lucky if you met everyone in your own class, let alone the three classes above you. So why not during a study break go online and find out who you would be meeting in the near future if you're a current student at Stonybrook?

DDSY, it may also be that students from Stonybrook actually take a vested interest in the class that is comming up behind them. Chances are they will be meeting us in person in the near future. Where as at NYU you would be lucky if you met everyone in your own class, let alone the three classes above you. So why not during a study break go online and find out who you would be meeting in the near future if you're a current student at Stonybrook?

Haha, they're so bored they're desperate to know new people. No wonder why the school becomes a "ghost town" during the weekends. j/k

O, one more thing, all those Stony students probably got their classmates to vote for Stony Brook on this thread just for kicks.

O, one more thing, all those Stony students probably got their classmates to vote for Stony Brook on this thread just for kicks.

It sounds like someone is just upset that Stony Brook is giving them the cold shoulder and they may have to shell out 200k more for NYU.

It sounds like someone is just upset that Stony Brook is giving them the cold shoulder and they may have to shell out 200k more for NYU.

:p Just wanted some attention. Thanks for responding.

You must agree. Those are good points.

Which would you choose?

PLEASE post reasoning below !!!

PS - Pretend money doesn't matter

License2Drill, I guess you recall the OP saying something like this.

Originally Posted by license2drill
It sounds like someone is just upset that Stony Brook is giving them the cold shoulder

I think that's just the way DDSY is license2drill. He's one of those people that trys to rial other people up. Oh well, you met one you've met them all.

I think that's just the way DDSY is license2drill. He's one of those people that trys to rial other people up. Oh well, you met one you've met them all.

Well, I've managed to make myself a Dr. Evil, at least to Stonybrookers. They're really a small prideful crowd anyway

But imagine if I actually attended Stony:eek: . . .. Haha, I'm the type of person that don't take my own arguments too seriously and, in fact, I'm even willing to argue against my own opinion just to balance a debate. Now you guys know me better.

:p Just wanted some attention. Thanks for responding.

You must agree. Those are good points.

Not really...The undergraduate is totally separate from the Dental/Med school so it has no affect on us that undergraduate students go home for the weekend. We typically go to different bars and have our own parties so the lame SB undergrad party scene has no impact on us. The bars are still decent out here on the weekends anyway since a lot of hot chicks go to Suffolk community and a lot of SB students are local commuters that party on the weekends.

stony brook totally. I live in the midwest and even I have heard nothing but awesome things about it...SB all the way