NYU (Tufts, UPenn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nily

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about NYU? I got into that school but was worried about the lack of info provided by the admission people. How good is the school? Any good things and bad things you'd like to share? Please, any advice or recommendation is welcome.
Good luck to you all.
For those interested, I interviewed and got into both Tufts and Penn as well. My opinion: Penn is a great school, Ivy league, but it's old and the facilities are old. They're renewing it though. I didn't like that they didn't have mannequins to practice with. Also, I felt the admission people didn't take care of us so well. A student took my group to the tour. He was 45 minutes late and went quickly over everything.
For Tufts, the school is beautiful, great program, they're really working hard for their students to help them do well. The facilities are great also. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Nily I noticed you're from Boston. How do u like living out there. Where would u recommend one should look for an apartment, something affordable yet secure.

Nily,

It is great that you have options. I did visit NYU and talk to the students. I think that NYU is just too big. Only advantage it may have with other schools is that they have trenmednous amount of patient pool. But downside is that the school is just too expensive and some areas of the facilities were just too crowded. NYU does not have "big brother and big sister program." And one student quietly advised me not to come there unless it was my last choice.

I personally, did not visit TUFTS and Penn but from what I hear who went to TUFTS they have very impressive facility. I also know a person who went to Penn and now he is in a 2nd year Endo program at Penn and he likes it there.

Far as tuition is concerned, both have similar rates however I think the cost of living is less in Philadelphia.

Members don't see this ad :)
to sal888:
Boston is a great place to live in. It's full of students and very safe. As far as housing is concerned, i guess it depends on where you're going to school and what your budget is like. If money is not an issue and your school offers housing (I know Tufts has a few rooms) then go for the dorm, it's more convenient and cuts commuting costs and time.
If you're choosing to live off campus, which is definitely an option and a lot of people do it, then check out your school housing list, they have a list of places where to live and will often match you up with other students from your class if you wish.
Hope it helped and good luck!

Hey Nily,

Thanks for your reply, I'll be going to Tufts later this year. Infact i'll be there in a week and half just to look for apartments.

Nily,

I interviewed at both Tufts and NYU, and in my most humble opinion Tufts was really the more impressive school. For the money I'm going to be paying, it seems like Tufts has much nicer facilities, nicer students, and what appears to be a more... cleaner, and learner-friendly environment. NYU reminded me too much of my current school, UoT. :p

Personnally, I think NYU is too big, and it really seemed run-down to me when I went to check it out. They didn't seem to care much about how their students did on the boards, and when I inquired directly, they mentioned that they're students weren't much better than average on the boards. Tufts, on the otherhand, prided itself in staying within the top 10 on the 1st board exam.

*shrug* It's a personal opinion... take as such.. and good luck in making your decision!

Dante.