NYU vs Northeastern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reb17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help, I have been accepted into NYU and Northeastern for pre-med. I realize that what really matters is getting a near perfect GPA, lots of research and a high MCAT, but which one would you say would be best in general? The high tuition is not a negative factor for me as I am fortunate enough to have rich parents. From what I've read Northeastern has an excellent co-op program, which might help me gain internship positions that might be more difficult to obtain at other universities since I'm not eighteen for another year and a half and don't have job experience yet. At the same time, everyone keeps telling me I should go to NYU because it's internationally more recognized. Can you help me decide where to go?

Members don't see this ad.

NYU.

New York City, higher ranked, New York City, lots of hospitals (presbyterian, NYU langone etc.), New York City, great social life, New York City, great pre-med program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please help, I have been accepted into NYU and Northeastern for pre-med. I realize that what really matters is getting a near perfect GPA, lots of research and a high MCAT, but which one would you say would be best in general? The high tuition is not a negative factor for me as I am fortunate enough to have rich parents. From what I've read Northeastern has an excellent co-op program, which might help me gain internship positions that might be more difficult to obtain at other universities since I'm not eighteen for another year and a half and don't have job experience yet. At the same time, everyone keeps telling me I should go to NYU because it's internationally more recognized. Can you help me decide where to go?

NYU incase premed doesn't work out or you change your mind.

Is not a negative factor to you or your parents?

NYU.

New York City, higher ranked, New York City, lots of hospitals (presbyterian, NYU langone etc.), New York City, great social life, New York City, great pre-med program.

what s/he said ^

I went to Northeastern for 2 years and I have no complaints. All things considered I think they would be considered with equal regard for premed. OP sounds like he comes from a good family background with physicians in his family, so I'm sure he'll do exceptionally well wherever he ends up.

If money is no concern, NYU. Everybody should like in Manhattan once in their life.

NYU.

Haha, I can definitely see you really want NYC for med school :thumbup:

Is not a negative factor to you or your parents?

LOL kid says no big deal, parents are glad kid is in NYU and hopes he doesn't return or else they might kill him for destroying their savings

NYU is a great school, but don't look past northeastern. They have a great Early Assurance Program with Tufts Medical School. You need a 3.5 and it looks like you don't even have to take the mcat. Guaranteed acceptance to medical school. Now I wouldn't bank of getting accepted into this program, but you should at least look into it. I personally know someone who did it and it worked out well for him/her.

http://md.tufts.edu/Admissions/Special-Admissions-Options/Early-Assurance-Program/Eligibility

LOL kid says no big deal, parents are glad kid is in NYU and hopes he doesn't return or else they might kill him for destroying their savings

Exactly. I mean sure they might be able to cover NYU without breaking a sweat, but it's not like the extra $50k or $100k is meaningless to them.

Northeastern's co-op programs sound incredible. If it's something you may be interested in, I'd highly consider it. Plus I feel like NE'ern would be less competitive than NYU, but I'm not very familiar with either school.

"Other people keep telling me..." isn't really a good reason to choose a school.

NYU does have a better brand name of course, but that doesn't matter for medical school. It would matter more if you think you might be interested in something like business in the future as an alternative to medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU is a great school, but don't look past northeastern. They have a great Early Assurance Program with Tufts Medical School. You need a 3.5 and it looks like you don't even have to take the mcat. Guaranteed acceptance to medical school. Now I wouldn't bank of getting accepted into this program, but you should at least look into it. I personally know someone who did it and it worked out well for him/her.

http://md.tufts.edu/Admissions/Special-Admissions-Options/Early-Assurance-Program/Eligibility

Careful, according to the website:

"Beginning in the 2014-2015 academic year, only Tufts University sophomores will be eligible for the Early Assurance Program"

That is the year OP would be a soph, so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be eligible unless he went to Tufts undergrad.

-

Just because your parents have the money doesn't mean you have to blindly spend it without considering the return on investment. Is a biology degree from NYU really worth $250,000? If you can't confidently say yes to that question then I would look elsewhere.

Careful, according to the website:

"Beginning in the 2014-2015 academic year, only Tufts University sophomores will be eligible for the Early Assurance Program"

That is the year OP would be a soph, so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be eligible unless he went to Tufts undergrad.

-

Just because your parents have the money doesn't mean you have to blindly spend it without considering the return on investment. Is a biology degree from NYU really worth $250,000? If you can't confidently say yes to that question then I would look elsewhere.

Oh wow I didn't realize that. Good catch.

Odds n' Ends that I know (or think I know)...

Northeastern (in Boston): 5 year school. The only university in Boston with a campus. Boston is a big "college town," lots and lots of campuses every few blocks in some areas. Relatively safe. Everything seems geared toward people in their 20s and 30s. Boston is small enough that you can get anywhere in the city fairly efficiently (in an hour or so at worst). Boston as a whole is nicer and smells better than NYC IMO. Red Sox. Co-ops vary, some are great, some aren't, some students can't find a co-op at all (in some majors) - look into that - ask juniors and seniors on your tour. Holistic program, relatively "hands-on" from what I've heard. Compact, you can walk anywhere on campus. Awesome large gym x 2 at least.

NYU (& NYC): Larger than Boston. NYC has more of everything, yes everything. Ivy league? Less safe than Boston, from what I've heard. Yankees.

NEU is great - I've learned a lot about myself and how I work through co-op. Also a chance to meet more professionals and see beyond the classroom. You can also learn about a lot of other health-related career opportunities too

Odds n' Ends that I know (or think I know)...

Northeastern (in Boston): 5 year school. The only university in Boston with a campus. Boston is a big "college town," lots and lots of campuses every few blocks in some areas. Relatively safe. Everything seems geared toward people in their 20s and 30s. Boston is small enough that you can get anywhere in the city fairly efficiently (in an hour or so at worst). Boston as a whole is nicer and smells better than NYC IMO. Red Sox. Co-ops vary, some are great, some aren't, some students can't find a co-op at all (in some majors) - look into that - ask juniors and seniors on your tour. Holistic program, relatively "hands-on" from what I've heard. Compact, you can walk anywhere on campus. Awesome large gym x 2 at least.

NYU (& NYC): Larger than Boston. NYC has more of everything, yes everything. Ivy league? Less safe than Boston, from what I've heard. Yankees.

Well, actually, Boston isn't completely nicer than NYC. Most areas of Boston and Cambridge are sketchy. Roxbury, Dorchester, Jamaica Plain all are really bad areas and you don't want to go anywhere near there (basically all the southern parts of the red and orange line). Northeastern happens to be very close to these sketchy areas. Some parts of Cambridge and Somerville are shady also. If you ever walk around Harvard Square at night, you will see hobos with sleeping bags sleeping next to closed store fronts. During the day, they will be sitting next to street corners begging for money. The only nice parts of Boston are really outside in the suburbs near Newton and Wellesley, and within the city, Brookline (where BU is located and with BC a little further west).

Lol, I guess I make it sound like Boston is shady, and although many parts of it is, it is a quaint city (very much like a large college town). It doesn't have the same bustle and hustle of NYC, but I can tell you that if you are a New Yorker, you probably won't really like Boston.

Well, actually, Boston isn't completely nicer than NYC. Most areas of Boston and Cambridge are sketchy. Roxbury, Dorchester, Jamaica Plain all are really bad areas and you don't want to go anywhere near there (basically all the southern parts of the red and orange line). Northeastern happens to be very close to these sketchy areas. Some parts of Cambridge and Somerville are shady also. If you ever walk around Harvard Square at night, you will see hobos with sleeping bags sleeping next to closed store fronts. During the day, they will be sitting next to street corners begging for money. The only nice parts of Boston are really outside in the suburbs near Newton and Wellesley, and within the city, Brookline (where BU is located and with BC a little further west).

Lol, I guess I make it sound like Boston is shady, and although many parts of it is, it is a quaint city (very much like a large college town). It doesn't have the same bustle and hustle of NYC, but I can tell you that if you are a New Yorker, you probably won't really like Boston.

I personally love NYC better than Boston, but Boston is probably the cleanest, nicest large metropolitan city next to Chicago. Let's be real...NYC is dirty and certain areas in other boroughs and some parts of uptown manhattan are places not to be at night. I lived in Boston without a car (so I took the T everywhere) and it was super safe and nice. Almost everywhere downtown is nice so I don't understand your assessment.

Last edited:
People on here are going to say NYU because it's higher ranked. I don't know how any of them can say there are more hospitals around NYU than any school in Boston.

I'm gonna say northeastern. I am biased because I went there.

Pros:

-closer to more hospitals....NU is located a block from Longwood Medical - this area houses Brigham, Beth Israel (both tertiary care and level I trauma centers), New england baptist, Boston Children's, mass eye and ear, harvard vanguard, as well as harvard medical school...all a rock's throw from campus (literally 15 minutes max to the farthest of these hospitals). If you want to get adventurous, Boston City Hospital (BUMC) is a 25 minute walk away from campus, Tufts medical center is like 4 T-stops away and MGH is maybe a bus ride away.

-The co-op program affords very good research or clinical opportunities. If you haven't done much research into it, make sure you do before you make your decision. I don't think it's possible at any other school in the country to have an EASIER time landing a good clinical or research position.

-I forget the exact number, but around 80 other universities are in Boston. There is an absolutely ridiculous number of college students in Boston. If you live here for a summer you can clearly notice the population fluctuate during breaks. Where there are college students, there are ideas, there are networking and research opportunities, and there are also parties and a good social scene if you're into that.

-Boston is small. There are many opportunities and they are pretty much all within a small area that is easy to access by the T in less than an hour time.

-Having completed the premed program, I can honestly tell you there is no grade-deflating or drama garbage that you see people often posting on this site. If you work only sorta hard (I partied pretty hard in undergrad) you will do fine, get good grades, make good connections, have no problem with advisors, etc. I don't know about NYU in this regard, but plenty of people get into med school every year from NU.

-If you aren't a complete ******* during your co-op, they will probably re-hire you after you graduate. This comes in handy if, should you decide to take a few gap years, you will have an easy time finding good employment during these years. Also, the premed committee will keep in touch with you even after you graduate.

Cons

-Low ranking. This means schools that actually care about your undergrad ranking (which are probably schools that care about their own medical school ranking i.e. top20 schools) might overlook you unless you have very good stats (MCAT especially) The school is actually climbing very quicky in the rankings though, so for all we know it may be ranked a lot higher in 5 years when you graduate.

-That's about it.

Last edited:
Did you get into NYU-CAS? If so NYU BY FAR.

above post is bs. NY is >>>>>> Boston by far, and the NYU premed program is top notch (there is an internal early acceptance program to NYUSOM as well, but it is competitive)

The Orgo department is run/taught by this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maitland_Jones,_Jr

Oh, I also went there, and believe me when I say it has opened up many many many doors. Northeastern is a pretty whack party school with absolutely 0 prestige.

Also hospitals: NYP, HSS, MSKCC, Sinai, Langone (its a silly argument to say boston has better hospitals than nyc...they are VERY much on par)

Says you. My post is definitely not BS. I also never said anything about the quality of any hospitals. though Boston's are certainly not worse than NY. Not sure how you can call NU a party school if you've never been there....

I am in a similar dilemma although not as good as the OP. I have been accepted to a few universities and have narrowed it down to NYU and U of Washington. I live in a state with no med schools, so got in through the cooperative program with Wash. state.

NYU is higher ranking overall but UW has a great pre-med program, one of the best or so I have heard. NYU is much more expensive so I may have to go with UW.

For the guy in the OP though is NYU really more expensive than NU? A look at the tuition pages shows both at around $40 to $45K per year. What makes NYU more expensive? Are you guys referring to the higher cost of dorms or apartments in NYC?

Talking about money and such:

Even if your parents can afford it, I would suggest thinking hard about the money. My parents were very willing to pay for my undergraduate degree, and so I could have gone anywhere, but I stayed in my home state, and went to a great public school for a total of 25k.

All that money that my parents would have spent on my undergrad degree, they are now willing to give me for my medical school, which is a huge help if I take them up on it.

I personally love NYC better than Boston, but Boston is probably the cleanest, nicest large metropolitan city next to Chicago. Let's be real...NYC is dirty and certain areas in other boroughs and some parts of uptown manhattan are places not to be at night. I lived in Boston without a car (so I took the T everywhere) and it was super safe and nice. Almost everywhere downtown is nice so I don't understand your assessment.

What?! Are you referring to places like Copley and Hynes? Because that is not South Boston. The southern parts of the orange and red lines are places you don't want to go to ever (i.e. Roxbury, Dorchester, etc). And people don't anyway because there is little to no fun to be had there anywhere. I think you think Boston is one of the nicest metropolitan city in the US because you haven't had to cross into South Boston. You don't have to go through any of those sketchy neighborhoods to get into nice ones or fun places unlike NYC. Plus, the green line is stupid-- It has a stop every 3 blocks and takes forever to get to places because it stops randomly in the middle of nowhere to rest for random periods of time.

I do agree, some areas of NYC are not well maintained and are not as clean, but the nicer areas of Manhattan are perfectly fine and are well kept. Uptown Manhattan is sketchy, but all the fun is had towards midtown and south Manhattan anyway.

What?! Are you referring to places like Copley and Hynes? Because that is not South Boston. The southern parts of the orange and red lines are places you don't want to go to ever (i.e. Roxbury, Dorchester, etc). And people don't anyway because there is little to no fun to be had there anywhere. I think you think Boston is one of the nicest metropolitan city in the US because you haven't had to cross into South Boston. You don't have to go through any of those sketchy neighborhoods to get into nice ones or fun places unlike NYC. Plus, the green line is stupid-- It has a stop every 3 blocks and takes forever to get to places because it stops randomly in the middle of nowhere to rest for random periods of time.

I do agree, some areas of NYC are not well maintained and are not as clean, but the nicer areas of Manhattan are perfectly fine and are well kept. Uptown Manhattan is sketchy, but all the fun is had towards midtown and south Manhattan anyway.

Worth mentioning that "south boston" is actually a predominantly irish neighborhood, and is a very historic part of boston - I would not really consider this area too sketchy and am actually considering living there if I live in boston another year.

Dorchester, roxbury, roslindale, mattapan etc. which are actually geographically southwest of south boston, are the "sketchier" areas of boston, but aren't really any worse than similar areas in other major cities. I definitely think Boston is more violent than most people think but this is because huge chunks of the city is made up of college students. Also most of the violence is gang violence, so.....don't join the gangs! NU is very close to roxbury and, yes, it can be dangerous - but it's really not that bad. East boston also has some bad parts, but there is no reason to ever be there really, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Did you get into NYU-CAS? If so NYU BY FAR.

above post is bs. NY is >>>>>> Boston by far, and the NYU premed program is top notch (there is an internal early acceptance program to NYUSOM as well, but it is competitive)

The Orgo department is run/taught by this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maitland_Jones,_Jr

Oh, I also went there, and believe me when I say it has opened up many many many doors. Northeastern is a pretty whack party school with absolutely 0 prestige.

Also hospitals: NYP, HSS, MSKCC, Sinai, Langone (its a silly argument to say boston has better hospitals than nyc...they are VERY much on par)

I'm sure we've had an all-star professor. NBD...

Worth mentioning that "south boston" is actually a predominantly irish neighborhood, and is a very historic part of boston - I would not really consider this area too sketchy and am actually considering living there if I live in boston another year.

Dorchester, roxbury, roslindale, mattapan etc. which are actually geographically southwest of south boston, are the "sketchier" areas of boston, but aren't really any worse than similar areas in other major cities. I definitely think Boston is more violent than most people think but this is because huge chunks of the city is made up of college students. Also most of the violence is gang violence, so.....don't join the gangs! NU is very close to roxbury and, yes, it can be dangerous - but it's really not that bad. East boston also has some bad parts, but there is no reason to ever be there really, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Solution: Just go visit campus. Find out about student groups you might want to join and talk to them too. Have dinner in the evening and walk down Huntington Avenue from Northeastern toward the city, maybe stop at the reflecting pool outside the large church. You might go all the way to the Prudential Center mall. It's a nice calm boringish walk and will give you an idea of Boston at night. A better walk, 5ish blocks away, would be down Newbury Street from Mass Ave toward downtown (google it). Even at night until midnight on weekdays or 2:30am on weekends, you will see college students here and there having fun.

None of the places Geebeejay mentioned are anywhere near NEU, except Roxbury. Solution to that, don't cross the tracks, literally. NEU's campus if fine any hour of the day or night. Go there and you will see.

I wish I had a comparable description of NYU, but don't know as much about it.

Last edited:
I just toured NU and their co-op program seems awesome, I was impressed with the school itself. According to the admissions person I spoke with they have a 97% acceptance rate for people who successfully complete their pre-med program, which she said requires a 3.7 gpa.

visit and tour both schools and see which one you like the most.

I just toured NU and their co-op program seems awesome, I was impressed with the school itself. According to the admissions person I spoke with they have a 97% acceptance rate for people who successfully complete their pre-med program, which she said requires a 3.7 gpa.

visit and tour both schools and see which one you like the most.

3.7 gpa requirement is complete garbage. She's probably trying to say something along the lines of "for people who get a 3.7 or better, there is a 97% acceptance rate." There is no requirement.

The advisors at NU will be very persuasive to not apply until your MCAT is good and your CV is saturated. I actually think they will refuse to write your committee letter if you aren't a competitive applicant. It's good advice though if you want to get accepted somewhere on your first try.

The co-op program is excellent.

I'd say NYU if price is not a factor.

yea NYU is.. er.. better for grad school then undegrad in my opinion... (except business or arts prolly)

Yeah I don't know what he is talking about either, NEU is not near these "Sketchy" areas except Roxbury, (and yes literally don't cross the tracks) there is 600,000+ people in Boston and 200,00+ are college students. Yes NY has more hustle and Bustle. But with the all the schools and some of the top hospitals in the country I'd choose Boston. But the number one selling point of NEU (sarcasm) is that they have the only Taco Bell in Boston (until BU gets one).

3.7 gpa requirement is complete garbage. She's probably trying to say something along the lines of "for people who get a 3.7 or better, there is a 97% acceptance rate." There is no requirement.

The advisors at NU will be very persuasive to not apply until your MCAT is good and your CV is saturated. I actually think they will refuse to write your committee letter if you aren't a competitive applicant. It's good advice though if you want to get accepted somewhere on your first try.

The co-op program is excellent.

Yeah I was not 100% on that but it was a regular admissions person, not a premed advisor. I thought she said that if you complete the premed program you get " a premed distinction" on your transcript and then she mentioned the 3.7 GPA. So I am not positive what a pre-med distinction means.