Nyucd ap class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aiming

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to everyone who got selected in NYUCD :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Now let's get into details of the places to live nearby , loan options and other aspects. Input from seniors would be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

places to live: most popular- wateside plaza NY..adv:right next to school disad:rent$$$ but i guess if ppl share it will work out fine
there are few places around school to where students live but again $$$
next popular: newport..adv:location is awesome..rent is bit lower than NYC but yet on the higher side..http://www.newportnj.com/ ..takes 15mins by PATH train to reach NYC n then a 10-15min walk to school(depends on your speed) or you can take the bus from outside path which drops you right outside school
cheaper option: journal square...low rents..close to indian street so grocery and indian food always available..20 mins by PATH to NYC and plus the walk/bus to school,..the PATH(23rd street and 6th ave) is around a mile away from school(24th street and 1st ave)

loan: best interest rates provided by citibank..
the next lowest rate is provided by sallie mae https://www.salliemae.com
All applications are done online so you dont need to go to the bank physically...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. Plz guide us as much as u can.

ok..guys ,,I have alot of questions,,,,but first what should we do after sending the 5000$ deposit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,should we submit fafsa application directly or waiting for the admission stuff who will guide us,,,,,another question,,,,mmmm,,,what is the maximum percent fafsa cancover,,and how to apply for private loans?,,any help will be appreciated

well i dont have any idea about FAFSA but i guess the school tells you to apply for it as soon as possible..once pay the deposit you will get confirmatory email saying that your deposit has been received...for private loans you can ask the bank if they have opened the application for NYU and then can start filling out the online application for the loan...usually if you have everything ready..the loan gets approved in 1-2 days

Thanks a lot appu09...your guidance is highly appreciated. Does the $5000 deposit part of the fees and do we have to deposit whole fees together or it's the semester by semester.

Thanks appu09
,,I mean ......each semester we should apply for private loans or we apply for it just at the beginning ,, another question,,,,,,,I am US citizen,,but I don't have that great credit history,,,,,,,so what is the way that I can get private loans,,,,,,do I need a cosigner,,,,,,,,.....I am really worried for the financial situation......

the 5000 counts towards your fees...once your loan is approved the school will send the disbursement dates to the bank...part fees is paid in august and part in jan...but you dont need to do anything...the bank and school take care of it themselves..you just need to monitor when and how much money has been released...

As I mentioned earlier I am really not sure how things work for green cards/citizens...sorry for not being able to help you on that front

Thanks a ton for your prompt response appu09

So my question is guys.. When we submit the fee do they give us our living expenses from the fee or we do it on our own? Also I am think of renting a place. Can anyone guide me so that I can find a place in such an area which is good for family and is clean and close. Not more then half hour commute. And how much is the range for a place like that may be a single bedroom apartment and not a studio.

ok..guys ,,I have alot of questions,,,,but first what should we do after sending the 5000$ deposit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,should we submit fafsa application directly or waiting for the admission stuff who will guide us,,,,,another question,,,,mmmm,,,what is the maximum percent fafsa cancover,,and how to apply for private loans?,,any help will be appreciated
You can fill out fafsa application rightnow too. You don't have to enter any amount that you will need at this time. It's a free application and also has deadlines so fill as early as possible. Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov

Members don't see this ad :)
yes it does depend on your credit history but these 2 banks give you good interest rates depending on your/ cosigner's score...on an average it ranges from 5-7% ...mine is currently at 3.5% from citibank

So my question is guys.. When we submit the fee do they give us our living expenses from the fee or we do it on our own? Also I am think of renting a place. Can anyone guide me so that I can find a place in such an area which is good for family and is clean and close. Not more then half hour commute. And how much is the range for a place like that may be a single bedroom apartment and not a studio.

if you are taking the living loan ...then once the loan gets disbursed to the school..the school will refund your living expense to your account after deducting their tuition fee for that semester

yes it does depend on your credit history but these 2 banks give you good interest rates depending on your/ cosigner's score...on an average it ranges from 5-7% ...mine is currently at 3.5% from citibank
That's the lowest interest rate I have heared from any dental student!:rolleyes:

Any one got conformation email for the deposit for the dead line date on 24th.

When do they send the package having details. Is it after all interviews are over or before that. Also, what is an average rent in area of Newport for 1 bedroom.

Thanks in advance

Any one got conformation email for the deposit for the dead line date on 24th.

Yea I did and it was just an email saying that we have reserved a spot for you.

When do they send the package having details. Is it after all interviews are over or before that. Also, what is an average rent in area of Newport for 1 bedroom.

Thanks in advance

1 bedroom in newport would be around 2000+

Thanks. What if someone lives in jersey city. How is that option?

I live in journal square, jersey city...for a 1 bedroom I am paying 1050 (heat n hot water included) + 30 for gas n electricity...travelling 65 per month (still cheaper than NYC n newport)

I live in journal square, jersey city...for a 1 bedroom I am paying 1050 (heat n hot water included) + 30 for gas n electricity...travelling 65 per month (still cheaper than NYC n newport)

Thanks appu. By one bed u mean u have a one bedroom apartment and ur not sharing it. Caz I can't share caz I have a family and I need single bedroom apartment. If I can get a decent place I am looking to spend even 1500$ a month with utilities included and if the commute is no mare than 45 minutes. Any idea if that is possible or it's just wishful thinking caz I need a safe and clean neighborhood for my family. I hope u understand my concern. Thank you in advance

Hi, I am also in the same boat as you. I am living in Edison, NJ and trying to move to Journal Square since my husband also working in newyork. Please share with me if you got any valid information.

Thanks appu. By one bed u mean u have a one bedroom apartment and ur not sharing it. Caz I can't share caz I have a family and I need single bedroom apartment. If I can get a decent place I am looking to spend even 1500$ a month with utilities included and if the commute is no mare than 45 minutes. Any idea if that is possible or it's just wishful thinking caz I need a safe and clean neighborhood for my family. I hope u understand my concern. Thank you in advance

yes one bedroom apartment..i am not sharing it with anyone..my building is right outside the PATH station so no walking too long/taking shuttle to station..it takes me total of 30-40 mins to reach school...there are lot of places around where you will get 2 bedrooms for 1200 or so and 3 Bedroom for 1800 or so

@appu09
How did you manage to get such a low interest rate?it's real good rate. Had you tried Sallie mae? what did they offer?
Is citibank giving such low rate loans?then it sounds better than Federal loans.

Anyone planning to live in the edison area and take a bus to port authority ? Is this doable ? door to door commute would be 1.5 hours one way....

@appu09
How did you manage to get such a low interest rate?it's real good rate. Had you tried Sallie mae? what did they offer?
Is citibank giving such low rate loans?then it sounds better than Federal loans.

well my cosigner's credit score is above 800...so i guess thats why i got the low rate..I did not try Sallie mae but have heard from people that they give low rates too

Greetings all,

Have anyone who have gotten confirmation on their payment received any other information form nyucd?

yes one bedroom apartment..i am not sharing it with anyone..my building is right outside the PATH station so no walking too long/taking shuttle to station..it takes me total of 30-40 mins to reach school...there are lot of places around where you will get 2 bedrooms for 1200 or so and 3 Bedroom for 1800 or so

Thanks dear. I was checking out places and I saw a place sunnyside and seems very close and cheap. Any idea how the place is?

Greetings all,

Have anyone who have gotten confirmation on their payment received any other information form nyucd?

They will process the next step sometime in early march. Send us an email and will start with the visa and other stuff.

Thanks dear. I was checking out places and I saw a place sunnyside and seems very close and cheap. Any idea how the place is?

that is in queens...really dont know much about queens..

that is in queens...really dont know much about queens..

Thanks dear. You are a helpful fellow. I appreciate your input. R u a new accepted applicant or in some senior year?

Thanks dear. You are a helpful fellow. I appreciate your input. R u a new accepted applicant or in some senior year?

I joined the AP program at NYU last year.,,class of 2014

I joined the AP program at NYU last year.,,class of 2014

Great. You will find a lot of ppl in class of 2015 walking the hall of nyu asking who is appu;-)

Hi Appu,

Could you please help me with the leasing office number or any other contact number of your apartment? I am currently living in Edison and planning to move to journal square with my family. I really appreciate your help on this.

Hi Appu...
Can u pl share what will be the process after depositin $5000...when do we get an I-20 form...what all we have to show for that...in how many days we get an I-20 form...I am from India and do I get F1 visa from India only or it can be issued from US too...When do we need to show we have arranged for loan...lot of confusion pl clarify...

Hi Appu,

Could you please help me with the leasing office number or any other contact number of your apartment? I am currently living in Edison and planning to move to journal square with my family. I really appreciate your help on this.

well my building's owner's number is 2015885286..his name is david...its not the most building...but its is convenient as it is right outside the PATH station..one major disadv: NO LIFT..:p ...look around more places here at JSQ

Hi Appu...
Can u pl share what will be the process after depositin $5000...when do we get an I-20 form...what all we have to show for that...in how many days we get an I-20 form...I am from India and do I get F1 visa from India only or it can be issued from US too...When do we need to show we have arranged for loan...lot of confusion pl clarify...

Well now you will receive a confirmation email saying your deposit has been received..you can apply for the loan online (you dont have to go to the bank physically for any step in the loan process)...once you apply for the loan..usually in 1-2 days time the Bank will give you a pre-approval letter saying that your loan is approved at a so and so rate and you will have x months to accept the offer...you will have to send Mara that pre-approval letter along with a form and request her to send the I-20..once the send you the I 20 ..take a visa appointment in India(or in your home country) ..at point of visa interview if they ask how are you funding for the studies you can show the approved loan..

the other thing you will need is blood reports show various immunizations..TB test and all..NYU will forward those documents to you soon

Well now you will receive a confirmation email saying your deposit has been received..you can apply for the loan online (you dont have to go to the bank physically for any step in the loan process)...once you apply for the loan..usually in 1-2 days time the Bank will give you a pre-approval letter saying that your loan is approved at a so and so rate and you will have x months to accept the offer...you will have to send Mara that pre-approval letter along with a form and request her to send the I-20..once the send you the I 20 ..take a visa appointment in India(or in your home country) ..at point of visa interview if they ask how are you funding for the studies you can show the approved loan..

the other thing you will need is blood reports show various immunizations..TB test and all..NYU will forward those documents to you soon

Thanks again. I have just one question. Ur in the second year!!! How do u take out the time to post replies!!! I heard it's very busy there. ;-)

Thanks again. I have just one question. Ur in the second year!!! How do u take out the time to post replies!!! I heard it's very busy there. ;-)

its not as busy as they make it to be..its busy for those who are not able to complete their work within the 3 hours of lab and those who want to practice their work on weekends or after hours...so I make sure I get my work done in the 3 hours of lab session..

and plus lectures I watch at home :D ..trust me once you join there will be hectic days but there will be a lot of time to party and enjoy yourself...

its not as busy as they make it to be..its busy for those who are not able to complete their work within the 3 hours of lab and those who want to practice their work on weekends or after hours...so I make sure I get my work done in the 3 hours of lab session..

and plus lectures I watch at home :D ..trust me once you join there will be hectic days but there will be a lot of time to party and enjoy yourself...

So the bottom line is to finish lab work in time. Great. Will keep that in mind

Hi appu,

First of all , thank you so much for your time and effort to clarify our doubts. I have few questions about the loan. I am planning to apply with a co-signer since i don't have Green Card.

when should i start applying for loan if i dont have GC? But i do have valid visa status (H4)

Loan has to be applied every year? Does the co-signer need to sign the documents every year? Can i have co-signer for only one year since i expect my GC in near future?

What would be the dollars i need to request while applying for loan? How can i get the entire cost information?

Is the living expenses covered with the loan amount?

what would be the best way to repay it since i see 3 options like pay interest/pay $25/no pay during study?

I am not sure whether you can answer all. But pls share the info as much as u can...

Hi appu,

First of all , thank you so much for your time and effort to clarify our doubts. I have few questions about the loan. I am planning to apply with a co-signer since i don't have Green Card.

when should i start applying for loan if i dont have GC? But i do have valid visa status (H4)

Loan has to be applied every year? Does the co-signer need to sign the documents every year? Can i have co-signer for only one year since i expect my GC in near future?

What would be the dollars i need to request while applying for loan? How can i get the entire cost information?

Is the living expenses covered with the loan amount? the living expense is included in the loan

what would be the best way to repay it since i see 3 options like pay interest/pay $25/no pay during study?

I am not sure whether you can answer all. But pls share the info as much as u can...

when should i start applying for loan if i dont have GC? But i do have valid visa status (H4)you can start applying now..request the school to give you a rough estimate for the 1st year and start the process

Loan has to be applied every year? Does the co-signer need to sign the documents every year? Can i have co-signer for only one year since i expect my GC in near future?yes you need to apply every year for the loan and need a co-signer every year..if you get the GC before next year then well and good else you will need a cosigner. The co-signer can be different every year

What would be the dollars i need to request while applying for loan? How can i get the entire cost information? you will need to get the total tuition + living estimate from school

Is the living expenses covered with the loan amount? the living expense is included in the loan..the loan amount is the amount you put in so basically 75,000 or so will be 1st year tuition fee + nyu quotes around 30-33,000 for living...thats the maximum amount you can take for loan, not more than that...if you want you can take less also..

what would be the best way to repay it since i see 3 options like pay interest/pay $25/no pay during study? most of us take "no payment during school option.."

Hello Appu !! You are doing a great job helping us out with so many details. :thumbup:
Can you tell me if we require to provide proof of funds for all three years at the time of our F1 Visa interview ?
Also, do we need to send documentation to prove enough funds for all three years to the school as well before they give I-20 or just the pre approval letter from the bank for one year should be adequate.
Thanks in advance :)

Hello Appu !! You are doing a great job helping us out with so many details. :thumbup:
Can you tell me if we require to provide proof of funds for all three years at the time of our F1 Visa interview ?
Also, do we need to send documentation to prove enough funds for all three years to the school as well before they give I-20 or just the pre approval letter from the bank for one year should be adequate.
Thanks in advance :)[/QUOTE

you need to show only the 1st year funds..even for the I20 you need to submit the loan approval letter for the 1st year to get the I20