O-chem dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the humming sea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took one credit of O-chem lab during my undergrad because my school of choice didn't require more (later wait-listed... you know the story). I know that a lot of schools require 8 credits (6 lecture 2 lab) of O-chem. Have you ever heard of a school turning down a student for an interview as a non-trad/masters applicant because they failed to complete the pre-reqs before applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I took one credit of O-chem lab during my undergrad because my school of choice didn't require more (later wait-listed... you know the story). I know that a lot of schools require 8 credits (6 lecture 2 lab) of O-chem. Have you ever heard of a school turning down a student for an interview as a non-trad/masters applicant because they failed to complete the pre-reqs before applying?

Most schools prefer that you have completed all pre-reqs, but it depends on the specific school. I think in general this is a non-issue.

Since this isn't a re-app specific Q, you might have gotten more responses in the main forum.

Usually, prerequisites are matriculation requirements, not application requirements. However, you will need to contact the schools you are accepted to, to see if they will require you to obtain this one credit somehow or if they will grant you a prerequisite waiver.