Ob/gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clc8503

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know the most the most common residencies a DO recieves? I would also like to know if OB/GYN is a common residency amoung osteopaths. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Caraway

Members don't see this ad.

I think that statistically most DOs choose to go into family medicine, but that's highly variable. My class will have very few going into family.

DOs go into both osteopathic & allopathic OB/GYN residencies. Overall, it isn't a competitive specialty at the moment, so there are many available spots out there for those who are interested.

I just finished shadowing an OB/GYN DO. He said that for the last few years that only about 75% of available residencies in OB/GYN have been filled. Not as many people are interested because of the diminishing pay with all the same long hours. He is a solo practicioner who shares office space on a rotating basis with some MDs; he said it's pretty tough to get going. But, he loves what he is doing.

I think that OB/GYN is the 4th most popular among DOs, after family, peds, and im. I could be mistaken, but for some reason, that is what I remember reading.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was kind of glad to see this post. I have been looking into OB/GYN for a long time now. I have met a few DO's who are OB/GYNs and of course, they love it...but they also tell me the ugly part of it like the long hours, people wanting to sue you and all that...

I'm still considering it very seriously...and I mean, I haven't even started medical school! :p But I think it's a beautiful specialty and especially meaningful to me...I'd like to bring my services as an OB/GYN to rural/underserved areas....

But nothing is for sure...
Good luck to everyone!
Karina

Get to med school first. I was dead set on radiology, then after my first year in med school, radiology was at the VERY bottom of my list.

I think residency programs go through cyclical cycles and something which is very competitive today may not be so competitative after 5-10 years and vice versa. I work under a Interventional radiologist ( so he did his residency in radiology and than fellowship in interventional radiology) and have heard from him many times how easy radiology residency programs were 10 years ago. Radiology is highly competitive today just because of advancement in the field of radiology due to new toys ( MRI, CT etc.) led to better pay for the radiologists. Surgery has been going through the same cycle recently.
I think very soon Congress is going to step in and put a cap on how much a person can sue gynecologists as we are facing a huge shortage of physicians in this field and if this trend continues it may led to disaster as some towns/ cities may not have a single gynecologists ( already some small towns don't have them). This may help ob/gyn residency program and it may again become a lucrative field some day.
So you should follow your heart and do what you like. But i do agree that your top choice may change over 4 years in medical school.
This is just my 2 cents as I am still not a medical student ( but will be in four months :laugh: ).

Mandar

WOW!....4 months until medical school! When you put it that way...I have to start looking for a place to live! Mandar, I'm going to NSU also! I'm a Miami local, though...

I guess I'll see ya in four months!! :D

Karina

mandar said:
I think residency programs go through cyclical cycles and something which is very competitive today may not be so competitative after 5-10 years and vice versa. I work under a Interventional radiologist ( so he did his residency in radiology and than fellowship in interventional radiology) and have heard from him many times how easy radiology residency programs were 10 years ago. Radiology is highly competitive today just because of advancement in the field of radiology due to new toys ( MRI, CT etc.) led to better pay for the radiologists. Surgery has been going through the same cycle recently.
I think very soon Congress is going to step in and put a cap on how much a person can sue gynecologists as we are facing a huge shortage of physicians in this field and if this trend continues it may led to disaster as some towns/ cities may not have a single gynecologists ( already some small towns don't have them). This may help ob/gyn residency program and it may again become a lucrative field some day.
So you should follow your heart and do what you like. But i do agree that your top choice may change over 4 years in medical school.
This is just my 2 cents as I am still not a medical student ( but will be in four months :laugh: ).

Mandar

Karina said:
WOW!....4 months until medical school! When you put it that way...I have to start looking for a place to live! Mandar, I'm going to NSU also! I'm a Miami local, though...

I guess I'll see ya in four months!! :D

Karina

Karina,
Four months would fly and we would be in medical school in no time. Even i haven't found an apt as i am on waiting list at couple of apt complex
I have to work for two more months at my current job and it is so hard to concentrate and focus at work right now.
It looks as if I am going to be the last person to move to Fort Lauderdale as i am going to be out of country from mid June to late July.
See you in august.
Your van Gogh looks great.

Mandar

How long is an ob/gyn residency?

It is four years

including PGY1?

unless you do a fastrack it is 5 yrs.

mandar said:
I huge shortage of physicians in this field and if this trend continues it may led to disaster as some towns/ cities may not have a single gynecologists ( already some small towns don't have them). This may help ob/gyn residency program and it may again become a lucrative field some day.

All true but it is still very well paid. ie lucrative. OB Gyns do some surgeries and make an excellent living. I think it is just that OB/GYN's are very unhappy with the practice environment.

Their compensation isn't as much as it used to be according to the Dr that I shadowed. With the rising cost of malpractice insurance, they aren't making much more than primary care. The Dr. that I'm referring to pays $103,000 per year for malpractice. He also has the overhead of his buildings and staff, so you need to love it to be willing to put in all the sleepless nights and suffer through the worry of malpractice.

TOP 5 FIELDS FOR MD'S (# PHYSICIANS IN PRACTICE)
Internal Medicine - 131,109
Family Practice - 51,928
Pediatrics - 50,046
Psychiatry - 44,064
Obstetrics and Gynecology - 38,842

TOP 5 FIELDS FOR DO'S (#PHYSICIANS IN PRACTICE)
Family Practice - 19,656
Internal Medicine - 3,244
Emergency Medicine - 2,669
Anesthesiology - 1,448
Obstetrics and Gynecology - 1,369

% of Physicians in Each Specialty That Are DO's (Decreasing Order)
Family Practice 27%
Emergency Medicine 12%
Anesthesiology, Orthopedic Surgery, Otolaryngology 4%
Cardiology, Dermatology, GI, General Surgery, Neuro, Ob/Gyn, Pulm, Rad 3%
Allergy, Internal Medicine, Neuro Surg, Ophtho, Pediatrics, Psych 2%
TOTAL: approx. 4% at time of this data (1999)