OB/GYN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

neilc

as an international student, this prob should be in the other forum...but it seems to get less attention, so i hope you don't mind if i post it here!

i am interested in training in OB/GYN for a few reasons...lots of young and healthy pts (hopefully, you start with 1 health pr and end up with 2) nice mix if primary care and surgery, etc... i know that ob/gyn is not too competitive for US grads, but how about us IMGs? another issue is that i am male, and i have heard that this specialty is just filled with female mds and that males are having a harder time getting spots. any truth to this? i am just interested in good training (not academics/fellowship positioning or anything like that!!) any input on img freindly programs, or just some general stats would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

There are male IMGs in OB/Gyn programs as far as I know, but they tend to be in less competitive private community hospital programs.

There is a bias against male residents. More and more, patients are requesting female physicians, and some male OB/Gyns are having trouble finding positions. This being said, there are some ways you can overcome this:

1. Working in a community with many 1st generation immigrants. Some women from lesser developed countries still view "The Doctor" as a male authority figure and feel safer with them and feel (unjustifiably I admit) that they are more competent and wise.

2. Doing a fellowship -- this tends to be the equalizer in male/female OB/Gyns (especially in Gyn Onc). Although if you are interested in healthy/primary care aspects, you may not be interested in this.

You are in luck, by the way. OB/Gyn IS competitive, but has been on a downswing the last couple of years. This may be the ideal time for a male IMG to get his foot in the door. However, to be competitive in highly desireable geographic areas and programs (any program in So. Calif, large university programs, etc), your USMLE Step I should be above average (high 80's to low 90's). Smaller programs and programs in less desireable geographic areas will require solid scores (average is probably OK).

The key to your success will be flexibility -- applying to many programs and being willing to relocate if necessary. And of course, make very sure you meet all requirements for the states you are applying to, be prepared to scramble, having ALL application materials fax-ready, and be prepared to accept a position via telephone.

Best wishes, Ana

thanks for the informative post! as an IMG, i realize that i need to go where the program will take me...just wanted to be sure that there is a reasonable chance that i will get an offer.
i actually heard something interesting regarding this topic...someone mentioned that ob/gyn is actually becoming better for males for a couple of reasons. first, there is some sensitivity toward reverse discrimination, so that the programs are aware that qualified male applicants need to be well represented. also, i have heard that many clinics are hiring males because the female docs seem to want to leave and start families, etc...more often than men. i did not say that, just heard it, so please don't think i am a sexist pig! i am just curious as to whether the sourcei heard it from is nuts, or if there really is some truth...thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
The following is based on discussions I have had with OB/Gyn PDs and residents:

first, there is some sensitivity toward reverse discrimination, so that the programs are aware that qualified male applicants need to be well represented

Well... I've never really heard of this. What I have heard was more like, "Why are they (male applicants) even bothering to apply?"

I do not think OB/Gyn programs are really altruistic with respect to the gender issue -- they are largely driven by market forces; most women want women physicians (with the exceptions I mentioned), and the programs are responding to the ease with which their female graduates obtain positions relative to male graduates.

many clinics are hiring males because the female docs seem to want to leave and start families, etc...more often than men

Again, sorry I have not really heard this. The trend, in fact, is for women OB/Gyns to go into staff model HMOs or large group practices where they all agree to make less money individually in order to cut down on work hours and # call days per week. These docs also tend to want other female docs. Also, older group practices with predominantly male physicians are looking for women in order to keep their patient base. Again, this is in response to patient demands.

Also, OB/Gyn is one of the most women-friendly surgical residencies. I have never heard of a woman resident having a baby while in a G. Surg., Ortho, ENT, and similar programs. But at 5 programs in/around Los Angeles (varying from large University to small community programs), several residents are having one or MORE children while in residency. AND their colleagues (all largely women) are understanding (because they all want to do the same thing).

This being said, you should continue to pursue OB/Gyn if that is your calling. It's just hard for me to imagine there is not a place for male OB/Gyns. Who knows? Maybe you are right after all and the trend is reversing.

Best wishes, Ana

thanks again for the perspective...the info i posted was from a less informed source on another board, and i had my doubts...i will, of course, continue to pursue this field. i am sure that every year there will be at least a few male ob/gyn residents somewhere, and one day i will be one of them! market forces being what they are, i am sure there will be obstacles. but that is what makes life interesting! thanks again!