Ob/gyn???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iowagirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best interview answer for being a OB/GYN D.O.? I mean what is the difference betwen and M.D. and D.O. ob/gyn? What i can bring in the world of ob/gyn by being a D.O.?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the best interview answer for being a OB/GYN D.O.? I mean what is the difference between and M.D. and D.O. ob/gyn? What i can bring in the world of ob/gyn by being a D.O.?

If you are going on an interview to med school they probably will not ask you what type of medicine you will practice since you might change your mind in school. Normally they are more interested in why you want to be a D.O.

As for the difference under state law- none! Since a DO would hopefully know OMM, perhaps you could work this into your practice.

What can you bring to being a ob/gyn by being a D.O.? Hopefully yourself including your passion commitment, yada, yada.

Now my question, are you going on an interview?

If you are going on an interview to med school they probably will not ask you what type of medicine you will practice since you might change your mind in school. Normally they are more interested in why you want to be a D.O.

As for the difference under state law- none! Since a DO would hopefully know OMM, perhaps you could work this into your practice.

What can you bring to being a ob/gyn by being a D.O.? Hopefully yourself including your passion commitment, yada, yada.

Now my question, are you going on an interview?

Noo..i am only a junior in college and will apply next year...jst orking on my peronal statement and brainstroming on interview questins related to my personal statement! Thank you for suggesions...i appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what specialty you are interested in for your personal statement. Maybe say that you are interested in primary care, which includes ob/gyn according to most. Your PS should be more of you telling the reader why you are badass and should be admitted to their school.

What is with these questions lately?

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what specialty you are interested in for your personal statement. Maybe say that you are interested in primary care, which includes ob/gyn according to most. Your PS should be more of you telling the reader why you are badass and should be admitted to their school.

Agreed.

From my experience, most admission committees want to see that you want to be a physician, they aren't so concerned with the specialty you want to go into. The counter-argument to that is if the specialty you want to go into is the main reason you want to become a physician.

I try to make this point over and over, but you should really really go into medical school with an open mind about what type of medicine you will eventually practice. There simply aren't enough spots for everyone to be plastic surgeons or radiation oncologists, and most pre-meds don't get this. (I understand ob/gyn isn't as competitive, but I'm just urging you to keep an open mind and don't write off other specialties just yet).

Noo..i am only a junior in college and will apply next year...jst orking on my peronal statement and brainstroming on interview questins related to my personal statement! Thank you for suggesions...i appreciate it!

Best of luck. From the school of hard knocks, try to get all your LOR's by May and use interfollio. Teachers go on vacation and even the nicest of DO's can take forever to write them. Makes life so much simpler if it is a done deed. Knock em dead :)

There are a fair amount of studies that involve OB/Gyn and OMM. These include postoperative pain for hysterectomy (Nicholas, Jeck, Goldstein et al) as well as treatment of post delivery women for pain...especially lumbosacral and hip.

Personally I have treated a number of pregnant women with excellent results. These women have a lot of pain simply from the stress on the body, not to mention the altered center of gravity that comes along with 28+ weeks.

Treating pregnant women with OMM can be challenging only because they are limited in the positions in which they can be on the treatment table, as well as positions where they can stay comfortably for any extended period of time. But I have found that only a limited amount of treatment goes a long way with these patients...less work with more frequent visits.

The OB/Gyn residency at PCOM has a monthly OMM lecture which covers every imaginable aspect of OMM and the pregnant patient...also some lectures on treatment of the children, for those interested in MFM.

OB/Gyn seems to be popular among DO students. I enjoyed it...I just couldnt get past the insane amounts of fluid that comes along with the miracle of life. :laugh:

JPH do you know if OMM should not be used on a pregnant woman at any particular time, like maybe 1st trimester? Of course it seems that most of the use of OMM would be more beneficial for later pregnancy and postpartum but I was just curious based on other things I've heard.

JPH do you know if OMM should not be used on a pregnant woman at any particular time, like maybe 1st trimester? Of course it seems that most of the use of OMM would be more beneficial for later pregnancy and postpartum but I was just curious based on other things I've heard.

Most authorities agree that OMM on a pregnant patient is actually more effective EARLY. Even before the patient begins to undergo the physical changes, its good to treat the patient so that musculoskeletally they are where they should be.

As far as when and how to treat pregnant patients I dont have any stop point or anything that I wont do...now with that said I have had additional OMM training so my confidence and exposure is greater than that of the average DO students.

Some professors will discourage treatment of the sacrum in patients who are 34+ weeks only because of the difficulty in determining parasympathetic vs sympathetic tonal abnormalities.

For the most part treating pregnant women BEFORE they become pregnant and then throughout the pregnancy is the best approach. 1st trimester maybe a monthly visit, hour long. 2nd trimester maybe every 2-3 weeks for 30 minutes then in the 3rd trimester every 1-2 weeks for 30 minutes, but a more subtle and gentle approach. That seems to be the best regimen that I have found.

Now when you say OMM you are encompassing all levels and types of treatment. Experience will tell you which techniques are best for a particular patient population, but I have found that indirect and myofascial tends to be best for pregnant women.

Wow thanks for that input! That's great to know. I am very interested in OB/GYN at this point, but of course I'm open to pretty much all the other specialties.

Wow thanks for that input! That's great to know. I am very interested in OB/GYN at this point, but of course I'm open to pretty much all the other specialties.

Keep an open mind.

OB-Gyn is a great field. I really enjoyed my OB-Gyn clerkship...especially the surgical aspect, which is why I ended up doing surgery.

Its a great field for people who want a balance of primary care and specialty/procedural medicine. Many OB-Gyns are the sole medical provider for many of the women they treat. It expands the network of people taking care of women and gives them an all-in-one type resource.

Its unfortunate what is happening to the field with litigation and the ability (or inability) to really pursue to obstetrics end of the specialty...but thats another discussion.

Loving this thread...I have a special interest in women's health so I found this very helpful! Looking forward to learning more! JPH what kind of specialty are you heading into in surgery if you don't mind me asking..just curious..your posts in this thread almost surprised me..you come off a little different than I expected in this thread based on some of your other thread posts. You seem to have had a great experience with OB/GYN and the way you talk about it has perked my intrigue! Thanks for sharing how OMM can really factor into OB/GYN/MFM/Women's Health. Now I am even more excited about attending a DO program and learning OMM! I only ask about your path cause you strike me as the general surgeon type (I know one that I love and adore...you seem to have that kind of mentality based on your posts) but I could be way off...I also work with a fantastic practice of Ortho surgeons and I love every minute of it but playing with the Ortho residents has made me fully aware of how hard you residents (especially surgery residents) work! Wishing you all the best...oh and don't get me wrong..I may have made assumptions about you based on previous posts, but 9/10 times I am in agreement with you sentiments so please don't get offended for any of the assumptions I have made!!

JPH what kind of specialty are you heading into in surgery if you don't mind me asking..just curious

Not sure yet. We will see how general surgery goes for now.

..your posts in this thread almost surprised me..you come off a little different than I expected in this thread based on some of your other thread posts.

I respond really well to true, genuine questions. I do not respond well to ignorance and those who are >40% ******ed, as many premeds are.

You seem to have had a great experience with OB/GYN and the way you talk about it has perked my intrigue! Thanks for sharing how OMM can really factor into OB/GYN/MFM/Women's Health.

I spent an additional year in medical school as an Undergraduate OMM Fellow. You would be surprised how many pregnant women use OMM as their treatment of choice when it comes to MSK complaints...cant take or reluctant to take certain medications so OMM is a perfect modality.

Now I am even more excited about attending a DO program and learning OMM!

:thumbup:

I only ask about your path cause you strike me as the general surgeon type (I know one that I love and adore...you seem to have that kind of mentality based on your posts) but I could be way off

Dont worry, I am still a prick.

...I also work with a fantastic practice of Ortho surgeons and I love every minute of it but playing with the Ortho residents has made me fully aware of how hard you residents (especially surgery residents) work!

True, its not easy.

Wishing you all the best...oh and don't get me wrong..I may have made assumptions about you based on previous posts, but 9/10 times I am in agreement with you sentiments so please don't get offended for any of the assumptions I have made!!

Thanks for the kind words.

Most people agree with me, or at least know what I am saying is the truth. Unfortunately it seems to be the "cool" thing to disagree with me...gives people a feeling of big balls...or big ovaries.

I do not respond well to ignorance and those who are >40% ******ed, as many premeds are.

Really hoping I am not one of those ******ed premeds! ~Been around the block a while, took me a long time to really decide to go forth guns blazin (seen the real world of it for a long time...just loved it when a few of the docs I've worked with in the past said...med school..are you crazy, after seeing all that you've seen with all the crap we have to deal with you still want to go into med school?!?) I just try to be real about the expectations and not be too naive about what's in store!

I spent an additional year in medical school as an Undergraduate OMM Fellow. You would be surprised how many pregnant women use OMM as their treatment of choice when it comes to MSK complaints...cant take or reluctant to take certain medications so OMM is a perfect modality.

Spectacular...really..I wish I had known more about DO sooner...I am very much looking forward to OMM (worked in PM&R in the past and ortho now so it's a no brainer for me these days that OMM is awesome..just never realized the practicality of OMM for a lot of other specialties ~ again that was because I was DO ignorant until recently!)

Dont worry, I am still a prick.

Kind of goes with the whole assumption that you were well suited to general surgery..just kidding, actually no not really..you kinda have to have balls (or ovaries for that matter) of steel in order to make the kind of split second go with your gut decisions that surgeons do on the regular..you either have it or you don't and my friend you seem like the kinda guy that has it!

True, its not easy.

and I respect you for that!

Thanks for the kind words.

No problemo...I'm just that kinda gal~kind speaking and all!