Obama vs. McCain Round II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh no, it was called for. You didn't read the entire thing I posted, did you? I said sorry and lets move on. Do you really want me to talk about the past? why can't we focus on what is going to happen in the future?

No, personal attacks don't belong on this forum. And yes, I did read your post. Some people may not agree with you. Some do. It isn't easy being a non-obama supporter in today's society but I deal with it. I don't call people ignorant because they don't agree with me.

Members don't see this ad.

No, personal attacks don't belong on this forum. And yes, I did read your post. Some people may not agree with you. Some do. It isn't easy being a non-obama supporter in today's society but I deal with it. I don't call people ignorant because they don't agree with me.

Oh no, I didn't call you names (like the f word). I didn't call you ignorant because your views are different than mine. I called you ignorant because you can't finish reading my post and I specifically stated that I said I am truely sorry if I made a choas in this thread and lets move on like what other things that obama is actually going to do that might effect the pharmacy, like what is he going to do with our drug policy? (please no more talking about the economy or the money)

Oh no, I didn't call you names (like the f word). I didn't call you ignorant because your views are different than mine. I called you ignorant because you can't finish reading my post and I specifically stated that I said I am truely sorry if I made a choas in this thread and lets move on like what other things that obama is actually going to do that might effect the pharmacy, like what is he going to do with our drug policy? (please no more talking about the economy or the money)

Whatever your reasons are, calling someone ignorant is name calling and I don't think that was the purpose of this forum or this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all these post trying to convince me into thinking about different ideas or something? I already told you my opinion and that is what I believe. It is called values. These are my values. You can't change my values and I don't want to change yours either. Also, even after pharmacy school, it shouldn't change my values either just because I might make more than I am making now. (And really though who cares about welfare corruption, do you actually know how corrupted brazil and the other countries are? So you should be glad that you live somewhere that you are not poor and live in a real house. Have you seen those brazilian houses in slums? they are metal sheet shacks! I am only saying that other parts of the world is living worst than ours so be proud of our country instead of criticizing obama.)

I don't think anyone is here to change your opinion. Debate is healthy. Just because your opinion is different than mine doesn't mean I won't state mine.

I've been to MANY other countries and seen how people live. I am thankful I live in America. But it doesn't mean that I will turn a blind eye and think that welfare corruption, or any other corruption is OK just because I live in a house and have food on my table. Those are 2 separate issues.

And yes it bothers me. It bothers me when an Escalade pulls up in the drive thru and the driver uses medicaid to buy her prescriptions. And I'm working my butt off, 40 hours per week, and can barely afford my old used corolla. There is nothing OK about welfare corruption, no matter how much money I make.

What I am saying, is you are 19. Things will look different when you are 40 and have lived through many cycles of Presidents and paying taxes and just living. Walk a mile before declaring everyone should glorify any other person, especially a politician...and a lawyer to boot. Both of which have always been noted for their honesty.

I hope Obama can do half of the things he has promised to do. I hope the economy is in better shape in 4 years. But at this point, looking at it objectively, promises made by a lawyer politician, numbers that don't add up (all these additional tax dollars to support the economy coming only from the richest 10% of our country), and the history to see the difference between what Presidents have said and what they have done in the past, all point to "doubtful".

And lighten up, a debate is a healthy thing. It keeps everybody thinking.

Tell me about it! When my husband lost his job of eight years in February, we got $75 on an EBT card. No joke. My husband was making 70k a year and paying a big portion of his paychecks to the government. You keep paying your taxes and think that if it is ever you that needs help, the help will be there. No. It isn't. We've lived off of our savings and now that that is gone, time to move in to my parents' basement with my husband and three small children. The point is, government isn't the solution. They are often the cause of our problems. I wish they'd just give me back the money we've paid in all these years. Maybe then we wouldn't be losing our house.

I am so sorry to hear that. I am so glad my kids are grown. This is a tough time in America. I lost my job also, a few years ago. This is what prompted me to decide on going back to school and becoming a pharmacist. We were lucky last year that we were able to just sell our big beautiful house for what we owed (got no equity out of it because of the market), and we purchased a $30,000 house close to the pharmacy school I want to attend. We seriously downsized just to be able to pay for school and live.

I actually wish I had done this when I did have kids at home. Have you heard the saying, "Love grows best in little houses." I think there is a lot of truth to that. And hopefully living with your parents won't add any stress - mine would so I'd rather live in a podunky tiny house, but I hope your transition is a good one.

And don't take to heart words said on this board by kids who don't work and don't pay their own bills. They have no idea what they don't know...yet.

Keep your chin up and I hope the future presents some wonderful opportunities for you.

And yes it bothers me. It bothers me when an Escalade pulls up in the drive thru and the driver uses medicaid to buy her prescriptions. And I'm working my butt off, 40 hours per week, and can barely afford my old used corolla. There is nothing OK about welfare corruption, no matter how much money I make.

Isn't that maddening. The thing I have seen most in my experience revolves around financial aid for students. I am hoping somebody can explain how this is possible...

It was a piss off at the UC I attended where I qualified for zero dollars in financial aid when AT LEAST half the people I knew got substantial funding if not almost complete relief from the $20k/yr + tuition & living costs. Yet every holiday or summer break these kids would fly from their million dollar homes in san Francisco to Hawaii or Paris with their families and depart on 5 day cruises around exotic islands while I was stuck working full time so I could afford extras like running the air conditioner for a few hours. To this day I truley do not understand how such an irony comes to be.

So, it would be welfare corruption if, I a full-time student, pulled up to the pharmacy window in a BMW, with an iPhone, and presented you with a Medicaid card?

Sorry, but most schools actually tell their students to sign up for Medicaid if they are no longer covered under their parents plan.

So, it would be welfare corruption if, I a full-time student, pulled up to the pharmacy window in a BMW, with an iPhone, and presented you with a Medicaid card?

Sorry, but most schools actually tell their students to sign up for Medicaid if they are no longer covered under their parents plan.

At the CVS I work in we just had a guy come through the other day in a BMW on Medicaid. I was like wtf?!? How does that even work. Pretty positive he wasn't a student either.

Last edited:
Are all these post trying to convince me into thinking about different ideas or something? I already told you my opinion and that is what I believe. It is called values. These are my values. You can't change my values and I don't want to change yours either. Also, even after pharmacy school, it shouldn't change my values either just because I might make more than I am making now. (And really though who cares about welfare corruption, do you actually know how corrupted brazil and the other countries are? So you should be glad that you live somewhere that you are not poor and live in a real house. Have you seen those brazilian houses in slums? they are metal sheet shacks! I am only saying that other parts of the world is living worst than ours so be proud of our country instead of criticizing obama.)

I give money away to roman catholic churches (I am brazilian and pure Roman Catholic) because the church funds all kinds of programs around the world to help people in poverty. I will admit that I gave money to Barack Obama's campaign because I read Obama's books and I felt inspired enough to vote for him. I like giving money to everyone that is in need and that would be willing to help our global economy.

Unlike some people, they want luxury and money, but I am actually the one that seeks to help other people and actually want to work for an industrial pharmacy to research more about what other substances we can use to prevent progression of a disease. Or maybe I can work for doctors without borders because I would like to help the third world countries.

BY THE WAY, to some of you people, at the beginning, I was talking about barack obama's plan and how it will help our pharmacies .Then you guys talk about something else like talking about changing my opinions, so seriously, stop this and talk about what obama's plan is actually going to help our pharmacies. And I am truely sorry if I confuse you all in the last posts. This thread is making me crazy....
+pissed+

Oh no no, I am in no way trying to change your mind. I've had friends whose opinions differed from mine, and it was like I always had to stick up for myself, it drove me crazy. I respect your opinion, I am just simply stating mine. I don't necessarily agree with Obama, but if he does what he promises to do, things will turn around. The problem is, politicians make promises all the time, but do not keep them all the time.

No, of course it's not welfare corruption. But really, you know what we mean. I try my best not to judge, it's just so obvious sometimes that it makes me mad. I know people that are on welfare who definitely should not be, and they live these frivolous lifestyles..they just abuse the system and make it worse for everyone else.

I think what he was saying is that the one man's "hard earned" money isn't someone else's "hard earned" money. My husband lost his job at the beginning of this year and we're about as bad off financially as you can get. Even though things are rough right now, I know that if I put my mind to it, I can be rich someday. Chances are I won't be, but I COULD be. It will take a lot of hard work, and I'm starting from the bottom but it is possible. Sometimes being at the bottom is great motivation to push you toward the top. What Obama's tax plan will do is give temporary solace to the poor. Your necessities are taken care of. Don't bother going back to school because that job at Wal-mart will barely make the rent- you'll make it though. Innovation is gone. Entrepreneurs are gone. Why become an MD when a pharmacist's salary will bring in the same amount of money after taxes? Like I said, keep us happy on the bottom. This plan will just bankrupt small businesses, and big businesses will survive since they can afford these tax increases. As Tommy Thompson said, “Now, our opponents tell us not to worry about their tax increases. They tell you they’re not going to tax your family. No, they’re just going to tax ‘businesses.’ So, unless you buy something from a business, like groceries or clothes or gasoline or unless you get a paycheck from a business, a big business or a small business, don’t worry, it’s not going to affect you!”

Are you pre pharm?? Well first of all you should be an MD b/c you like the work, not b/c you think it will make more money then a pharmacist. Why is it unfair for an MD to make the SAME amount as a pharmacist??? I personally do not think being an MD means you are any better (or deserve to make more) then a pharmacist. :)

Are you pre pharm?? Well first of all you should be an MD b/c you like the work, not b/c you think it will make more money then a pharmacist. Why is it unfair for an MD to make the SAME amount as a pharmacist??? I personally do not think being an MD means you are any better (or deserve to make more) then a pharmacist. :)

Compare a doctor's work schedule to a pharmacist's maybe?

Oh, and the whole saving lives thing...

I am so sorry to hear that. I am so glad my kids are grown. This is a tough time in America. I lost my job also, a few years ago. This is what prompted me to decide on going back to school and becoming a pharmacist. We were lucky last year that we were able to just sell our big beautiful house for what we owed (got no equity out of it because of the market), and we purchased a $30,000 house close to the pharmacy school I want to attend. We seriously downsized just to be able to pay for school and live.

I actually wish I had done this when I did have kids at home. Have you heard the saying, "Love grows best in little houses." I think there is a lot of truth to that. And hopefully living with your parents won't add any stress - mine would so I'd rather live in a podunky tiny house, but I hope your transition is a good one.

And don't take to heart words said on this board by kids who don't work and don't pay their own bills. They have no idea what they don't know...yet.

Keep your chin up and I hope the future presents some wonderful opportunities for you.

I see what both sides are saying...

PrePharm321 is not saying that the rich should be "punished" for making more money. He just believes that if you are truely that RICH...It shouldn't matter if you are paying more then someone that is poor. I mean will it really KILL a rich person to live in a slightly smaller house and drive a slightly cheaper car to help the poor out??? Yes, a rich person did work hard for his money, but will it really kill you to give some up to the less fornunate???

Just look at oprah, angelina jolie and bill gates. They are rich, they work hard for their money and they deserve every penny of it. (none of them were born rich...so I think they deserve it) And yet they are obviously in a higher tax bracket then everyone else...but do they care?? not at all and in fact all three of these people donate MILLIONS and travel around the world to help others. If these people were to think like some of the people here on SDN (only worrying about themselves) then think of how the world would be today??

Okay now the other side. Most people here think that taxes should be flat. Meaning everyone pays the SAME PERCENTAGE (not same amount) of taxes. SO bill gates, a pharmacist, a teacher etc. should all pay 30-40% out of his or her paycheck. Yes, that is the MOST fair way to do it. But again....If you are really that rich does it matter that you are paying 50% versus 30%??

PrePharm321 is not saying that the rich should be "punished" for making more money. He just believes that if you are truely that RICH...It shouldn't matter if you are paying more then someone that is poor. I mean will it really KILL a rich person to live in a slightly smaller house and drive a slightly cheaper car to help the poor out??? Yes, a rich person did work hard for his money, but will it really kill you to give some up to the less fornunate???

Just look at oprah, angelina jolie and bill gates. They are rich, they work hard for their money and they deserve every penny of it. (none of them were born rich...so I think they deserve it) And yet they are obviously in a higher tax bracket then everyone else...but do they care?? not at all and in fact all three of these people donate MILLIONS and travel around the world to help others. If these people were to think like some of the people here on SDN (only worrying about themselves) then think of how the world would be today??

Okay now the other side. Most people here think that taxes should be flat. Meaning everyone pays the SAME PERCENTAGE (not same amount) of taxes. SO bill gates, a pharmacist, a teacher etc. should all pay 30-40% out of his or her paycheck. Yes, that is the MOST fair way to do it. But again....If you are really that rich does it matter that you are paying 50% versus 30%??

Yes...it does matter. Why should anyone take away MORE money from the rich just because they are rich?

Members don't see this ad :)

Because I've taken economics and there is this thing called opportunity costs. There is more work that goes into being a doctor. If the pay isn't higher, the doctors won't be there. Regardless of how much a doctor LOVES his job, there are other factors that go into a career choice. And, many pharmacists will tell you that as much as they love their jobs, most would not go through all of the stresses and hard work of getting in to a pharm school plus the eight years of schooling if the average salary was 30k a year. If money wasnt' important, why did you switch from dental school to pharmacy out of all of the careers to pick from? Being an MD is MUCH MORE competitive and MUCH MORE work than pharm school is and they should be compensated for that.

They aren't the people who will feel the effects of a tax increase. They are SO rich that they don't care. It is the people in that 200k a year range who put a lot of their earnings back into their business that will feel it. Oprah shouldn't be making decisions for other people's money. I will take her seriously when she gives all of her income to charity besides about 150k a year.

My mom helped me too when my dad left! (without welfare!)

Ya, but how many people actually do this? Doesn't the feds investigate and put those people in prison for fraud?

I said maintain to be the worlds richest country not that we are one. We can do that if we just wait until next year when Obama get us out of the war in Iraq. I hope he ends it responsibly.

Its not impossible to get out of debt. The government tax us everyday! it is going to take a while but we can get out of it, if we stop going to wars. By the way, were you a Ron Paul supporter? Ron Paul specifically said that we should not be in wars and have our troops protecting our borders, which I do agree. Also he said for us to stop borrowing money from China.

I am from Taiwan originally. My mom decided to leave my dad....she took me and my sister to the USA. She worked really hard to raise me and my sister without any money from anyone.

Yes, I am anti war and I find it really ironic for people to be sooo against abortion, but support wars....so basically they are saying that it is okay to kill a person as long as its not a fetus inside a mother??? I just think thats crazy. :rolleyes: (yes, I do not like Bush at all and wish he would have never started the stupid war in the first place, 9/11 was very tragic, however going overseas to kill MORE innocent people isn't really helping is it???)

Because I've taken economics and there is this thing called opportunity costs. There is more work that goes into being a doctor. If the pay isn't higher, the doctors won't be there. Regardless of how much a doctor LOVES his job, there are other factors that go into a career choice. And, many pharmacists will tell you that as much as they love their jobs, most would not go through all of the stresses and hard work of getting in to a pharm school plus the eight years of schooling if the average salary was 30k a year. If money wasnt' important, why did you switch from dental school to pharmacy out of all of the careers to pick from? Being an MD is MUCH MORE competitive and MUCH MORE work than pharm school is and they should be compensated for that.

Fair enough, money is very important. However I did not choose pharmacy for the money. I choose pharmacy b/c I like learning about new drugs, I like how drugs affect the human body, I like the chemistry behind drugs, and pharmacy is a very stable career. Yes, 30K a year would be really bad if the tuition you are paying is over 100K. I totally agree with you there.:)
It is also true that I do NOT like blood and I get grossed out very easily. However that is not the only reason why I nevered considered medical school and dropped out of dental school. Another very important reason why I never considered medicine and dropped out of dental school is b/c I do not like America's healthcare system. I like everything about America except its healthcare system. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE money. I LOVE capitalism. I will be lying if I say I didn't like those things. But I want to make MONEY and feel good about myself. It does not make me feel good when I know that I am driving a BMW and living in a million dollar house b/c someone's mother had breast cancer. It does not make me feel good to know that I am getting rich b/c someone is suffering and dying. I think people should not make a profit off of someone else's misery.
Again, don't get me wrong I am NOT saying that every business person sucks or that captialisms sucks. My mother went from waiting tables to owning 3 restaurants. I think captialism is great!! I think new ideas and making new products and selling them is GREAT, but there is just something about making a profit off of someone's bad health that makes me feel like scum. That's why I decided that medicine and dentistry is not for me. As much as I love money, I just can't work like that.

So its not the rich people that higher taxes hurt, its the middle class. You're right, Oprah, and Angelina Jolie make more money than they know what to do with. That's great that they give so much away. The middle class isn't rich, and they will bear the brunt of higher taxes. I personally am very scared of socialism, and I don't think its premature to call Obama's ideas socialistic. He said he wanted to, "spread the wealth," which is pretty close to the definition of socialism. Lets take the money from the upper middle class, and middle class, and give to the poor. Alright, so then we'd have two classes in society, the rich, and the not rich. The whole middle class and poor will be muddled together. The rich will always be rich. There will always be unequality because some people are more equal than others. For those of you who say a doctor shouldn't earn any more than a pharmacist I think you're mislead. That's one of the reasons that I don't want to be a doctor is that the job is all consuming. I really didn't want to donate my life to medicine, no matter how much you got paid. If we go by that philosophy, why should a pharmacist be paid any more than a school teacher? Don't worry, if we keep going this socialistic route they'll tax pharmacists to the point that you make a similar amount as a teacher. If it gets to that point I'm working part time. Seriously, why should I work 40 hours a week if I make the same money after taxation as I would working 20 hours a week. I'm also against big government. The government is a tool for the people to use. At what point do we become cogs in their machine? Anyway, I digress. I suppose my view points also come from experience. I was the kid that worked super hard in everything. I am the adult that works super hard in everything. I am the adult who did nothing fun in undergrad because I had to work to help support myself. The government only gave me $5,500/year in unsubsidized loans. Well that didn't even cover the cost of tuition. They told my dad that on his $100,000 salary before taxes he should be able to afford about $40,000 dollars of college tuition for my sister and I. Well he couldn't afford it, so he gave me $6,000 a year. I had to work hard for the rest. I was bitter that I didn't get much help. I was bitter that while everyone else was having fun in college I had to either study or work. I was in a hard major at a difficult school so that I could get into pharmacy school. Getting into pharmacy school was no accident. I worked hard for many years of my life. Success is no accident. It takes lots of hard work. I'm not saying that everyone who isn't successful doesn't work hard. America is the land of opportunity. We do not guarantee you anything in this country (though it looks like Obama does), but you have the right to earn it. If you don't want to earn success then that's fine, but don't punish me for it. Don't steal even more of the money that I worked so hard for. Spreading the wealth is a nice sounding name for stealing. Don't get me wrong, I believe taxes are necessary, but when taxes become a punitive way of trying to impose equality on society, then I think that is wrong.

So its not the rich people that higher taxes hurt, its the middle class. You're right, Oprah, and Angelina Jolie make more money than they know what to do with. That's great that they give so much away. The middle class isn't rich, and they will bear the brunt of higher taxes. I personally am very scared of socialism, and I don't think its premature to call Obama's ideas socialistic. He said he wanted to, "spread the wealth," which is pretty close to the definition of socialism. Lets take the money from the upper middle class, and middle class, and give to the poor. Alright, so then we'd have two classes in society, the rich, and the not rich. The whole middle class and poor will be muddled together. The rich will always be rich. There will always be unequality because some people are more equal than others. For those of you who say a doctor shouldn't earn any more than a pharmacist I think you're mislead. That's one of the reasons that I don't want to be a doctor is that the job is all consuming. I really didn't want to donate my life to medicine, no matter how much you got paid. If we go by that philosophy, why should a pharmacist be paid any more than a school teacher? Don't worry, if we keep going this socialistic route they'll tax pharmacists to the point that you make a similar amount as a teacher. If it gets to that point I'm working part time. Seriously, why should I work 40 hours a week if I make the same money after taxation as I would working 20 hours a week. I'm also against big government. The government is a tool for the people to use. At what point do we become cogs in their machine? Anyway, I digress. I suppose my view points also come from experience. I was the kid that worked super hard in everything. I am the adult that works super hard in everything. I am the adult who did nothing fun in undergrad because I had to work to help support myself. The government only gave me $5,500/year in unsubsidized loans. Well that didn't even cover the cost of tuition. They told my dad that on his $100,000 salary before taxes he should be able to afford about $40,000 dollars of college tuition for my sister and I. Well he couldn't afford it, so he gave me $6,000 a year. I had to work hard for the rest. I was bitter that I didn't get much help. I was bitter that while everyone else was having fun in college I had to either study or work. I was in a hard major at a difficult school so that I could get into pharmacy school. Getting into pharmacy school was no accident. I worked hard for many years of my life. Success is no accident. It takes lots of hard work. I'm not saying that everyone who isn't successful doesn't work hard. America is the land of opportunity. We do not guarantee you anything in this country (though it looks like Obama does), but you have the right to earn it. If you don't want to earn success then that's fine, but don't punish me for it. Don't steal even more of the money that I worked so hard for. Spreading the wealth is a nice sounding name for stealing. Don't get me wrong, I believe taxes are necessary, but when taxes become a punitive way of trying to impose equality on society, then I think that is wrong.

very well said..i agree with you 100% and good for you for getting what you want in life amidst financial difficulty :)

No, I don't agree with a flat tax, although it would make life simpler. I agree that there are people who don't make a livable wage and they should not be taxed at the same percentage, especially older Americans. However, it isn't fair if I work and earn $80,000 and my take home is the SAME as someone making $50,000 because of taxes - and I've lived through times that this was the case.

Personally, I think they should do away with income tax, and instead put an additional sales tax on non-necessity items. No tax on food, clothing under $50 per item, things like that. However, place an additional sales tax on non-necessity items. That way I decide how much tax to pay. If I want to live a luxurious lifestyle, I pay additional for that. And if I choose to make a large amount of money and live low-budget and save the rest - well that is my choice also. This might help halt many people from living way beyond their means. But again, no matter how I live, the percentage of taxes I pay are MY CHOICE based upon my choice of lifestyle. Then poor people could live better because necessity items would not be taxed, and non-necessity items are, well, not necessary. Additionally, then people on public assistance who choose to abuse the system cannot complain because they are not taxed on the necessities, only on the non-necessities - so they have no reason to complain if they are paying taxes because it is their option.

Fair enough, money is very important. However I did not choose pharmacy for the money. I choose pharmacy b/c I like learning about new drugs, I like how drugs affect the human body, I like the chemistry behind drugs, and pharmacy is a very stable career. Yes, 30K a year would be really bad if the tuition you are paying is over 100K. I totally agree with you there.:)
It is also true that I do NOT like blood and I get grossed out very easily. However that is not the only reason why I nevered considered medical school and dropped out of dental school. Another very important reason why I never considered medicine and dropped out of dental school is b/c I do not like America’s healthcare system. I like everything about America except its healthcare system. Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE money. I LOVE capitalism. I will be lying if I say I didn’t like those things. But I want to make MONEY and feel good about myself. It does not make me feel good when I know that I am driving a BMW and living in a million dollar house b/c someone’s mother had breast cancer. It does not make me feel good to know that I am getting rich b/c someone is suffering and dying. I think people should not make a profit off of someone else’s misery.
Again, don’t get me wrong I am NOT saying that every business person sucks or that captialisms sucks. My mother went from waiting tables to owning 3 restaurants. I think captialism is great!! I think new ideas and making new products and selling them is GREAT, but there is just something about making a profit off of someone’s bad health that makes me feel like scum. That’s why I decided that medicine and dentistry is not for me. As much as I love money, I just can’t work like that.

This should probably just be the motto for the Pre-Pharmacy forums here. What a great line. :D

Obama says he wants to tax people that make over 250K a year. A pharmacist will not be making that much.

Also I agree with you that a complete socialistic society would suck, but I still believe that there are things (like healthcare) that shouldn't be capitalistic (profit based). I am sorry if I feel that a doctor shouldn't wake up every morning hoping more and more people are dying of cancer so that he can make more money to buy a bigger house....:rolleyes: There is nothing wrong with someone that wants the nicer things in life but that individual should be doing something other then medicine. Try investment banking. There are also many dentists that make a ton of money with medicaid fraud...thats what happens when society put healthcare in a profit base market. Doctors and dentists only care about money and nothing else...

I hope the healthcare system in the USA will be more like Canada and Europe's in the near future.

Obama says he wants to tax people that make over 250K a year. A pharmacist will not be making that much.

Also I agree with you that a complete socialistic society would suck, but I still believe that there are things (like healthcare) that shouldn't be capitalistic (profit based). I am sorry if I feel that a doctor shouldn't wake up every morning hoping more and more people are dying of cancer so that he can make more money to buy a bigger house....:rolleyes: There is nothing wrong with someone that wants the nicer things in life but that individual should be doing something other then medicine. Try investment banking.

I hope the healthcare system in the USA will be more like Canada and Europe's in the near future.

"A pharmacist will not be making that much."--What a selfish attitude. I wish for the sake of argument that pharmacists DID make that much and I promise you that your attitude would change. The point still stands: Why in the world should somebody who righfully earns more money than another get taxed more heavily? Redistribution of wealth is a scary, scary thing.

Do you actually have the audacity to believe that doctors wake up in the morning wishing terminal illness upon the public? If you do, then you my friend, have lost it.

On a side note: Learning the difference between the words 'then' and 'than' will greatly help your cause.

Last edited:

Also I agree with you that a complete socialistic society would suck, but I still believe that there are things (like healthcare) that shouldn't be capitalistic (profit based). I am sorry if I feel that a doctor shouldn't wake up every morning hoping more and more people are dying of cancer so that he can make more money to buy a bigger house....:rolleyes: There is nothing wrong with someone that wants the nicer things in life but that individual should be doing something other then medicine. Try investment banking. There are also many dentists that make a ton of money with medicaid fraud...thats what happens when society put healthcare in a profit base market. Doctors and dentists only care about money and nothing else...

On all of these threads it is assumed the only reason people want to earn a higher salary than the next guy is to only buy bigger houses or fancy cars. Why is this the only argument as to why someone cannot want to earn a high salary and not be taxed heavily on it?

Yea, why else would people want to earn lots and lots of money.

To each his/her own, i guess.

I think Obama's argument is that we need to be a little more compassionate.
The desire to make as much money as possible is one of the reasons why we got into this finaincial crisis to begin with. ALso, If you're making houndred thousands of dollars, chances are that there are people helping you make that money that are probably making minimum wage. why not contribute to making these peoples lives better? Sure, there are those who take advantage of the system...which is probably the main reason that a lot of people want to keep taxes low....but hopefully,karma will get these people. in the meantime, like i said, we need to be compassionate to hte people around us.

ive said thsi before, and ill say it again

"simple in needs, rich in ends" - some dude.

"mo' money, mo' problems" - micheal scott and a rapper.

On all of these threads it is assumed the only reason people want to earn a higher salary than the next guy is to only buy bigger houses or fancy cars. Why is this the only argument as to why someone cannot want to earn a high salary and not be taxed heavily on it?

Last edited:
It's an issue of fairness. It's not fair that people who make over 100,000 take home the same amount as those who make 50,000. But on the other hand, is it really fair how people making tens of millions of dollars are paying a lower tax rate than people making 50,000/year?

If I'm not mistaken, the $250,000 and over bracket is for married couples, and the $200,000 bracket is for individual tax payers. It's not out of league for my husband and I in the future. In San Francisco, you can make $120,000 starting out at Walgreens. Put in some good overtime, and you could make $150,000. Now if my husband made $100,000 (which might take him about 10-15 years to do) we'd be in that top bracket. If that were the case, I would just work less. The problem gets worse when the government gets to pick what, "too wealthy," is. Wealthy is such a relative term. Why not change the top tax bracket to married couples making $200,000, or even $150,000. What is "too wealthy" to society? What if this trend keeps continuing? Now I haven't even addressed the other taxes Obama intends to increase, like the capital gains tax, and the inheritance tax. I remember something about him taking the cap off of Social Security tax too, but there was a lot of uproar about that so yeah we'll see. . .

It's an issue of fairness. It's not fair that people who make over 100,000 take home the same amount as those who make 50,000. But on the other hand, is it really fair how people making tens of millions of dollars are paying a lower tax rate than people making 50,000/year?

How are people bringing home millions paying a smaller tax rate than someone who is making $50,000 a year? I don't see where you're getting that. The only way that happens is if they hire expensive lawyers to find loopholes in the system. That way they can legally evade a lot of taxes. If their taxes increase, they'll still find a way to evade it. The tax rate for people making millions is quite a bit higher than those making $50,000 a year; that is if they don't hire lawyers to find the loopholes. Although even if they did hire lawyers to legally evade the system, 15% on 100 million dollars would be 15 million. They're still paying quite a bit for our highways, public schools, healthcare, and public safety.

How are people bringing home millions paying a smaller tax rate than someone who is making $50,000 a year? I don't see where you're getting that. The only way that happens is if they hire expensive lawyers to find loopholes in the system. That way they can legally evade a lot of taxes. If their taxes increase, they'll still find a way to evade it. The tax rate for people making millions is quite a bit higher than those making $50,000 a year; that is if they don't hire lawyers to find the loopholes. Although even if they did hire lawyers to legally evade the system, 15% on 100 million dollars would be 15 million. They're still paying quite a bit for our highways, public schools, healthcare, and public safety.

I vaguely remember obama mentioning in the debates that warren buffet pays around 20% percent for his income tax while his secretary pays 40% of her income.

I vaguely remember obama mentioning in the debates that warren buffet pays around 20% percent for his income tax while his secretary pays 40% of her income.

Yeah, looks like Warren Buffet has found the loopholes, but the rich will always find the loopholes. His secretary's federal income tax isn't 40%. Her taxes all together may be 40%. The top income tax bracket in 2008 was 35% for 357,700 and over, for someone filing single. I don't think his secretary made that much ^_^' Here's a link to federal income tax brackets. http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm

Thanks for your kind words! All things happen for a reason and I look forward to being able to tell my children the "when we were poor" stories just as my parents tell me!

Isn't economics a prereq for most schools?

Thanks for your kind words! All things happen for a reason and I look forward to being able to tell my children the "when we were poor" stories just as my parents tell me!

Sorry about your situation PrePharmD, and I hope things will get better for you. When I was 12 my dad joined United Airlines, and they started him off at a salary around $25,000 for the first year. His salary went from $60,000/year in the navy to $25,000/year. We had to live in my Grandma's old manufactured home. We wore Wal-Mart clothes for a few years, which was embarrassing because I was in middle school then. Most of our belongings were in boxes so when it came time for Christmas we went to the thrift store for some ornaments. I look back on those times and laugh. :p I don't remember the government helping us out though. . .

"A pharmacist will not be making that much."--What a selfish attitude. I wish for the sake of argument that pharmacists DID make that much and I promise you that your attitude would change. The point still stands: Why in the world should somebody who righfully earns more money than another get taxed more heavily? Redistribution of wealth is a scary, scary thing.

Do you actually have the audacity to believe that doctors wake up in the morning wishing terminal illness upon the public? If you do, then you my friend, have lost it.

On a side note: Learning the difference between the words 'then' and 'than' will greatly help your cause.

Look this is how I see it. If a pharmacist did make 250K a year then he will be taxed at ~50% which will leave him with 125K to take home. In reality a pharmacist makes around ~110K-120K a year he will most likely take home around 70K-84K a year at a tax rate of ~30%.

I will be happy with 70K, 84K or 125K...

I have also said before that FLAT TAXES would be the MOST FAIR solution, but if a person really makes over 250K a year then paying a little bit more won't kill him. So essentially I am agreeing with you!

However, I voted for Obama b/c I believe healthcare is a RIGHT. Universal healthcare is needed. And yes, most doctors in a capitalistic society cares more about their wallets than their patients. I personally think a socialized healthcare system is the way to go. :D

You think pharmacists don't care about money? Think again. Would you still be interested in pharmacy if the salary dropped to $30,000/year? I know a 90% of pharmacy school students would leave the profession, and that includes me.

Everyone cares about money.

You think pharmacists don't care about money? Think again. Would you still be interested in pharmacy if the salary dropped to $30,000/year? I know a 90% of pharmacy school students would leave the profession, and that includes me.

Everyone cares about money.

You are right. I will not be doing pharmacy if the salary was only 30K a year. (I make more than that waiting tables) However, I am not asking for much if I can take home ~70K I will be happy. :)

Okay now I really have to go...didn't get much PCAT studying done b/c I was soooo addicted to SDN. hehehe....

Obama won. Please let him do his job, and see if that will work or not. Then, you can complain about it.

I don't think our having an opinion is going to stop him from doing his job.

Debate is healthy. Unhealthy is people with no opinion or one who's opinion can be changed simply by someone telling them to change it. Debate is healthy. Vigilance and concern for our future is healthy.

To all the previous posts:

I notice that everyone here only thinks about money!

So Are you basically saying this, when I go to the pharmacy, all the pharmacists that work there is going to think about how is his or her next pay check is going to look like and how he is going to be tax while he should be thinking about making my pills and helping his or her patients? Or do you want an FDA pharmacist to think about his paycheck and how the government is going to tax him instead of finding drugs that actually kills?

Seriously guys, all these scanerios is impossible. Every single one of those pharmacist that think only about money would either be in jail (selling illegal drugs to get more money and without tax!) or wouldn't be very successful in pharmacy.

Everyone that is a successful pharmacist will tell you that at one point of their time, they paid some amount of money to help the poor. Every single paycheck they get is already taxed. You shouldn't think about money as the most important thing in your life. Money should be treated as a reward of a hard work not some kind of thing you get obsess with. It shouldn't matter if you make 30k or 400k. All it matters is what the person wants in life. Picture this: The person that makes 30k and gives money to the poor and pays his taxes while he or she enjoys his job has a much better life than the 400k that runs from the IRS, sells cocaine to the black market, and does everything possible to get money so he can have 10 bugatti veyrons in his garage and then lands in prison. Which type of person would you like to be? (Obviously it is a honest vs not honest money hungry person)

And to other people (you know who you are):

I may be 19 but these ideas are mostly from obama and he is 47. Also, while I was growing up with my father, he told me all about clinton's administration and bush adminstration, I know about the economy as much as you do and how it changes too! Unfortunely for you, I still study history in college and I probably know more about history and literature than you because I like to read books (I bet you probably havent read obama's audacity of hope and dreams from my father! or even other philosophers such as Albert Camus's Downfall or the Myth of the Sisyphus or the Stranger).

So don't be an ageist.

Another thing, I faced many difficulties with my family that nobody else would experience the same as mine. I have another story to tell you:

My dad screwed with me 2 years ago and didn't pay for my work with his company. Now this type of work is not the same as you guys work as a Pharmacy technician in a pharmacy. I am talking about being outside in the hot summer sun and then work 9 (sometimes 12) hour shifts from 8 am to 5 pm (or to 8 pm when the summer sun goes down). I worked for 4 years taking off roofs and putting it back on. No Air Conditioning, only a pitch fork to take the roof off and hammer and nail to put the new roof on. I had blisters on my ears and my face is always red (hint, look at my picture!). The conditions on this job is really crappy.

So, My dad decided not to pay me for the last two years of my work because he left the house so he can divorice with my mom. Its like he thinks he can escape everything. He still owes me 2500 dollars and you know what?

I don't really care about getting that money anymore. I learned a lesson that I shouldn't care about money. I learned that I should give money away because then I would feel better about myself. Imagine what my father must feel when he cheats, lies, and steal. He must feel like really bad, doesn't he? I feel much better now because I give money away to churches and I enjoy having the feeling of helping the world.

Its okay though if you guys don't believe me, you will learn the hard way as I did very very very soon.

Good luck!

EDIT: My point is that you will learn a lesson that money is not the solution to life. The solution to your life is finding the right job and enjoy working and finding a family so you can settle down. Money should be the last thing to think about.

Last edited:
To all the previous posts:

I notice that everyone here only thinks about money!

So Are you basically saying this, when I go to the pharmacy, all the pharmacists that work there is going to think about how is his or her next pay check is going to look like and how he is going to be tax while he should be thinking about making my pills and helping his or her patients? Or do you want an FDA pharmacist to think about his paycheck and how the government is going to tax him instead of finding drugs that actually kills?

I actually care a lot more about things than money. If I was that concerned about money I wouldn't have been a pharmacist. There are probably easier ways to earn money than pharmacy. I got married to a man for love, and it had nothing to do with money. Actually by the time I get out of pharmacy school I'll be making more than double his salary ^_^' I really do care about healthcare because my mom has had quite a few physical ailments, and I've had a few myself. I saw how doctors treated her, and it was like they really didn't care about her at all. I tell you what though, I have a really good expensive endocrinologist that treats me very well. I actually pay for that endocrinologist out of pocket because he treats my condition better than any other doctor I've been too. He doesn't take insurance. He probably makes quite a bit of money too. Each appointment of mine is $400, and I have a few of them a year. He has patients lined up, and out the door too. Just because he makes a lot of money doesn't mean he wishes autoimmune disorders on people, or that he's busy thinking about how much money he's making during each appointment. In my experience I've found that some of the most expensive doctors are actually the best.

Its not even the money thing, its about principles. I'm sorry your dad treated you so badly, but that doesn't mean that every one that makes money is out to exploit the proletariat. Its great if you want to give all your money away, or a large portion of it. I think we need more people like you in that regard. However, its wrong if someone steals the money from you to give to other people. Here are three scenarios. Scenario A: I'm a student and I have a $800 laptop computer. Person X is a single mom with two kids, and she doesn't have enough money for a laptop computer. The government comes in and says, "you know what, its not fair that you have a laptop and Person X doesn't so we're going to take yours and give it to her. Just go out and buy another one." Scenario B: Everything else is the same, but I decide out of the goodness of my heart to give my laptop to Person X, and I go out and by another one. Scenario C: Everything else is the same, but Person X decides to steal my laptop because she doesn't have one. I go out and buy another one. In our current society, Scenario C is morally wrong, but how is it that much different than Scenario A? In Scenario A the government is stealing, and in Scenario C the individual is stealing. It doesn't matter who is stealing from me, I don't like it. Did I really need that extra $800? Maybe, and maybe not. Truth be told if someone stole my laptop I would be financially okay, but that doesn't make it right. Scenario B is perfectly fine. If I felt like giving my stuff away, then more power to me.

I just turned 24, but I've read quite a few books about government myself. Ayn Rand's, "Atlas Shrugged," "We the Living," "Anthem." George Orwell's, "1984," "Animal Farm." Kurt Vonnegut's, "Slaughterhouse 5." Ray Bradbury's, "Farenheit 451." Karl Marx's, "Communist Manifesto." Michael Savage's, "Savage Nation." Plato's, "The Republic." Most of these I read while in high school. It made me very wary of both socialism, and big government. See punitive taxation isn't just about helping people, its about punishing those who have more. I haven't read Obama's book because quite frankly I don't think I could stomach it. I was against socialism before I even made money. I'm not saying that Obama is going to turn America into a dystopia, but the rate that government is growing certainly scares me.

In addition to this, more spending and social programs don't necessarily help people. California has one of the highest state taxes in America and its about to get worse with the possible addition of a 1.5% sales tax hike. Our state is in a horrible budget deficit, and we've had to cut back on many things including our public schools. We don't have enough money, and we never will with the way California's liberal legislature keeps spending. . .

MONEY IS THE SOLUTION to almost everything.

Well... actually it depends on where you live. If you are Amish, then money is useless. They have horses for transportation, Cows for calcium, and they use the Morse Code for unlimited text.

Someone said it bothers them to see someone on Medicaid driving a BMW.
What year was the car? 1985 or 2008? I bought a 1985 for only $500 hehehe.

I actually care a lot more about things than money. If I was that concerned about money I wouldn't have been a pharmacist. There are probably easier ways to earn money than pharmacy. I got married to a man for love, and it had nothing to do with money. Actually by the time I get out of pharmacy school I'll be making more than double his salary ^_^' I really do care about healthcare because my mom has had quite a few physical ailments, and I've had a few myself. I saw how doctors treated her, and it was like they really didn't care about her at all. I tell you what though, I have a really good expensive endocrinologist that treats me very well. I actually pay for that endocrinologist out of pocket because he treats my condition better than any other doctor I've been too. He doesn't take insurance. He probably makes quite a bit of money too. Each appointment of mine is $400, and I have a few of them a year. He has patients lined up, and out the door too. Just because he makes a lot of money doesn't mean he wishes autoimmune disorders on people, or that he's busy thinking about how much money he's making during each appointment. In my experience I've found that some of the most expensive doctors are actually the best.

Its not even the money thing, its about principles. I'm sorry your dad treated you so badly, but that doesn't mean that every one that makes money is out to exploit the proletariat. Its great if you want to give all your money away, or a large portion of it. I think we need more people like you in that regard. However, its wrong if someone steals the money from you to give to other people. Here are three scenarios. Scenario A: I'm a student and I have a $800 laptop computer. Person X is a single mom with two kids, and she doesn't have enough money for a laptop computer. The government comes in and says, "you know what, its not fair that you have a laptop and Person X doesn't so we're going to take yours and give it to her. Just go out and buy another one." Scenario B: Everything else is the same, but I decide out of the goodness of my heart to give my laptop to Person X, and I go out and by another one. Scenario C: Everything else is the same, but Person X decides to steal my laptop because she doesn't have one. I go out and buy another one. In our current society, Scenario C is morally wrong, but how is it that much different than Scenario A? In Scenario A the government is stealing, and in Scenario C the individual is stealing. It doesn't matter who is stealing from me, I don't like it. Did I really need that extra $800? Maybe, and maybe not. Truth be told if someone stole my laptop I would be financially okay, but that doesn't make it right. Scenario B is perfectly fine. If I felt like giving my stuff away, then more power to me.

I just turned 24, but I've read quite a few books about government myself. Ayn Rand's, "Atlas Shrugged," "We the Living," "Anthem." George Orwell's, "1984," "Animal Farm." Kurt Vonnegut's, "Slaughterhouse 5." Ray Bradbury's, "Farenheit 451." Karl Marx's, "Communist Manifesto." Michael Savage's, "Savage Nation." Plato's, "The Republic." Most of these I read while in high school. It made me very wary of both socialism, and big government. See punitive taxation isn't just about helping people, its about punishing those who have more. I haven't read Obama's book because quite frankly I don't think I could stomach it. I was against socialism before I even made money. I'm not saying that Obama is going to turn America into a dystopia, but the rate that government is growing certainly scares me.

In addition to this, more spending and social programs don't necessarily help people. California has one of the highest state taxes in America and its about to get worse with the possible addition of a 1.5% sales tax hike. Our state is in a horrible budget deficit, and we've had to cut back on many things including our public schools. We don't have enough money, and we never will with the way California's liberal legislature keeps spending. . .

Very well said! Has anyone ever considered the possibility that raising taxes isn't the solution? How about responsibilty and personal accountability? How about the government started being as careful spending my money as I am? Why doesn't the government start thinking twice about wasting money in all these programs when we can't afford our mortgages? I would never think twice about signing my daughter up for dance lessons when we can barely buy groceries- why does the government? When my daughter lost medical insurance after the loss of my husband's job, we were in a frantic scramble to find a job (any job) that offered it. If I had all of the tax dollars we have paid in over the years that have gone towards other children's medical insurance, my daughter would have never gone one day without insurance. I'll tell you what, when you've been on the other side of that fence watching the money you have earned going toward other people's children who have more than your own children do, the stealing scenario is a lot more clear.

There has been a lot of criticism towards doctors who "make too much money." Doctors deserve every penny they make. Medical school is very competitive and the smartest and brightest practitioners are born because of the competition. Why is it so competitive? We can go around this all day long ("I care less about money than you do." "No, I care less.") but in reality, doctors wouldn't be as intelligent if they made 50k a year. Sorry, that's just reality. That is the power of a free market. The best and the brightest are motivated to be innovative because they will be equally compensated.

Well... actually it depends on where you live. If you are Amish, then money is useless. They have horses for transportation, Cows for calcium, and they use the Morse Code for unlimited text.

Naw, what I said was, would you consider it fraud if a 21 year old guy like me, pulled into the pharmacy window in a 2004 BMW 330i or a 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, and handed you a Medicaid card for his pharmacy coverage?

Most schools encourage students to sign up for Medicaid if they are no longer covered under their parents plans. Since we're graduate students, and we probably make less than $10,000/year, and since Medicaid is covering whatever we need for health insurance, we can use our money and whatever money our parents still give us to buy stuff like that.

Now, I'm still covered under my parents plan but that's going to end when I turn 23, so during my third year at Touro, I'm going to lose coverage.

Okay, i am glad you enjoy your most expensive doctor. But that doesn't necessarily makes them the best. You should look in those magazines that tell you the best doctors of the year and so on to see how much they cost. It gives surprising results. Anyways Let me tell you an example, if you open the Denver's yellow page, my dad's ad is the biggest in the roofing company section. He is giving an illusion to people that he is the biggest and the best (all about quality isnt it?). Also, he even worked for Senator Ken Salazar! Anyways, my point is that he tells lies to people saying that they need a whole brand new re roof (cost could exceed 30k!) and when I go up there to help do the re roof, the wood under it is not rotting or anything (in fact most houses that I work on had wood that was brand new!) so they didn't need a re roof but needed a little patch up work to fix a leak but no, my dad wanted to make them feel like they should spend a lot of money so they can get the 'best' stuff. Now the other companies that compete with him are way cheaper and actually more honest but the people think that they do crappy job (which the cheaper company actually do pretty good work). Also, if the homeowner looks like he can't afford the re roof (my dad judges people), my dad would offer them like 1000 bucks to fix a little leak that could cost around 50 dollars if you go buy the tools in the hardware store. So do you understand what I mean about how people get illusionized only because they want to get the 'best'?

:laugh: you just need to get lojack and then scenario C won't happen!

I understand what you mean by scenario A but seriously though, governments tax you only because we have programs (government is not stealing, didn't we the people make these programs? FDR is an exception only because he wanted to help us get out of the depression.) The government doesn't steal money to pay their living cost. The government worked too to make sure that the tax money will be used wisely. Do you want your kids to go to a private school and pay thousands of dollars if you can save some money and pay your taxes so you can send them to a public school?

Look, there is nothing to be afraid of the government. The programs were all created by us (public transportation created by who? public schools, public universities, anything with the word 'public' means that we bought that with our tax money.) The congress and the president only signs the bill into law and make sure our system is following the rules that the founding fathers made (this happened 232 years ago so actually the country we live in is doing great except that we need to end the iraq war!!!). Also, don't you remember that communism and socialism means that there is only one class of people, the 'working people' (the government is only the top rank but those people are like invisible, you would never see them like North Korea and Kim Jong is probably in his mansion with his nukes). It means that everyone works and wont get rich or poor while making nukes for their dictator. This doesn't sound like America nor will it become when Obama is president (I know you said that obama wont). Seriously though, you need to think outside the box and read obama's book. The book, dreams of my father, even makes me cry because he is a inspirational person and likes to help people. It's mainly about his life so not too much about the politics (audacity of hope is when obama explains his political views).

In addition to this, more spending and social programs don't necessarily help people. California has one of the highest state taxes in America and its about to get worse with the possible addition of a 1.5% sales tax hike. Our state is in a horrible budget deficit, and we've had to cut back on many things including our public schools. We don't have enough money, and we never will with the way California's liberal legislature keeps spending. .

Your saying that the tax is used unwisely? Okay picture this: we stop paying taxes and the government shuts down.

The roads and bridges are going to break down so the cars will be useless unless if you have a hummer which would make global warming and the oil reserve gone. The public schools closed down because no more money. Lets send our kids to private schools (prices are going to skyrocket because the private schools will try to open a lot of them and get rich.) African Americans and poor people won't be able to send children to schools so they are going to be treated like crap because they will have social problems because they don't socialize with people anymore (no school, where are you going to find friends? Homeschooling wont work!). Then when everyone is suppose to be 12th grade, only private schools graduate and obama would never been president because he would be the 'poor' person and never get an education and would do labor work like I did on the roof for the rest of his life. The community colleges would be gone and public universities too. Only private universities would be available and costly (DU is 44k a year, which is what my brother paid for the last 3 years!). Another thing, the private school parents have to pay the high cost again to send their kid to school (first was private high school and now college! That is going to be expensive!!). 4 years later only a handful would be graduates. The country would be in choas without programs. By the way, there are many other things that will get affected. FHA (Federal Housing Administration) would close down so you know what this means? you are going to have to pay a lot more per month for a private house mortgage loan. That is why I agree with this country as it is now.

Another thing I want to ask you this question: Would you call Bill Clinton (or you can choose FDR) a Socialist?

Dude, You misunderstood me. I meant that you should not be obsess with money. (You should think about raising your family and have faith. Volunteer so you can feel good.) You are going to learn the hard way, didn't you read my post? I worked 4 years on the roof under the hot sun and my dad suddenly stop paying me in the last 2 years of work only because he wanted to escape and move to paradise.

so how do you think I got money? I was poor and I even gave money to the church in one dollar bills. Thank god (faith is an important part of my life) that I got that job in Safeway a while back. That job I had as bag boy was when I found out I wanted to be a pharmacist because I seen a pharmacist help people and saves lives everyday. I want to be that kind of person. I wanted to work for doctors without borders. That kind of work is much better than what I did in the roof.

Last edited:

Okay, i am glad you enjoy your most expensive doctor. But that doesn't necessarily makes them the best. You should look in those magazines that tell you the best doctors of the year and so on to see how much they cost. It gives surprising results. Anyways Let me tell you an example, if you open the Denver's yellow page, my dad's ad is the biggest in the roofing company section. He is giving an illusion to people that he is the biggest and the best (all about quality isnt it?). Also, he even worked for Senator Ken Salazar! Anyways, my point is that he tells lies to people saying that they need a whole brand new re roof (cost could exceed 30k!) and when I go up there to help do the re roof, the wood under it is not rotting or anything (in fact most houses that I work on had wood that was brand new!) so they didn't need a re roof but needed a little patch up work to fix a leak but no, my dad wanted to make them feel like they should spend a lot of money so they can get the 'best' stuff. Now the other companies that compete with him are way cheaper and actually more honest but the people think that they do crappy job (which the cheaper company actually do pretty good work). Also, if the homeowner looks like he can't afford the re roof (my dad judges people), my dad would offer them like 1000 bucks to fix a little leak that could cost around 50 dollars if you go buy the tools in the hardware store. So do you understand what I mean about how people get illusionized only because they want to get the 'best'?

:laugh: you just need to get lojack and then scenario C won't happen!

I understand what you mean by scenario A but seriously though, governments tax you only because we have programs (government is not stealing, didn't we the people make these programs? FDR is an exception only because he wanted to help us get out of the depression.) The government doesn't steal money to pay their living cost. The government worked too to make sure that the tax money will be used wisely. Do you want your kids to go to a private school and pay thousands of dollars if you can save some money and pay your taxes so you can send them to a public school?

Look, there is nothing to be afraid of the government. The programs were all created by us (public transportation created by who? public schools, public universities, anything with the word 'public' means that we bought that with our tax money.) The congress and the president only signs the bill into law and make sure our system is following the rules that the founding fathers made (this happened 232 years ago so actually the country we live in is doing great except that we need to end the iraq war!!!). Also, don't you remember that communism and socialism means that there is only one class of people, the 'working people' (the government is only the top rank but those people are like invisible, you would never see them like North Korea and Kim Jong is probably in his mansion with his nukes). It means that everyone works and wont get rich or poor while making nukes for their dictator. This doesn't sound like America nor will it become when Obama is president (I know you said that obama wont). Seriously though, you need to think outside the box and read obama's book. The book, dreams of my father, even makes me cry because he is a inspirational person and likes to help people. It's mainly about his life so not too much about the politics (audacity of hope is when obama explains his political views).

In addition to this, more spending and social programs don't necessarily help people. California has one of the highest state taxes in America and its about to get worse with the possible addition of a 1.5% sales tax hike. Our state is in a horrible budget deficit, and we've had to cut back on many things including our public schools. We don't have enough money, and we never will with the way California's liberal legislature keeps spending. .

Your saying that the tax is used unwisely? Okay picture this: we stop paying taxes and the government shuts down.

The roads and bridges are going to break down so the cars will be useless unless if you have a hummer which would make global warming and the oil reserve gone. The public schools closed down because no more money. Lets send our kids to private schools (prices are going to skyrocket because the private schools will try to open a lot of them and get rich.) African Americans and poor people won't be able to send children to schools so they are going to be treated like crap because they will have social problems because they don't socialize with people anymore (no school, where are you going to find friends? Homeschooling wont work!). Then when everyone is suppose to be 12th grade, only private schools graduate and obama would never been president because he would be the 'poor' person and never get an education and would do labor work like I did on the roof for the rest of his life. The community colleges would be gone and public universities too. Only private universities would be available and costly (DU is 44k a year, which is what my brother paid for the last 3 years!). Another thing, the private school parents have to pay the high cost again to send their kid to school (first was private high school and now college! That is going to be expensive!!). 4 years later only a handful would be graduates. The country would be in choas without programs. By the way, there are many other things that will get affected. FHA (Federal Housing Administration) would close down so you know what this means? you are going to have to pay a lot more per month for a private house mortgage loan. That is why I agree with this country as it is now.

Another thing I want to ask you this question: Would you call Bill Clinton (or you can choose FDR) a Socialist?

Dude, You misunderstood me. I meant that you should not be obsess with money. (You should think about raising your family and have faith. Volunteer so you can feel good.) You are going to learn the hard way, didn't you read my post? I worked 4 years on the roof under the hot sun and my dad suddenly stop paying me in the last 2 years of work only because he wanted to escape and move to paradise.

so how do you think I got money? I was poor and I even gave money to the church in one dollar bills. Thank god (faith is an important part of my life) that I got that job in Safeway a while back. That job I had as bag boy was when I found out I wanted to be a pharmacist because I seen a pharmacist help people and saves lives everyday. I want to be that kind of person. I wanted to work for doctors without borders. That kind of work is much better than what I did in the roof.

I feel more lost than ever right now. :confused:

How do you begin to respond or debate this incoherent rambling.

Actually I said Escalade. But yes, new. I had a 1986 Mercedes previous to my current car, and no one would have mistaken me for a rich person. :)
I'll let you slide by with a 1985 BMW. :p

But again, as poor as I may be now, I'm not on Medicaid. I was hospitalized recently and I can't get any govt. assistance because I make more than $400/month. So how the **** does someone who makes less than $400/mo afford a new car, much less a new Escalade, or BMW or whatever??? By fraud. By non-disclosure. By lying. By using the system. Whatever you want to call it. (Because obvioulsy they are making VERY little in order to be on medicaid - and you have to disclosure all your assets.)

What I meant was that they are not purchasing the car by fraud, they are on medicaid by fraud or whatever you want to call it.

Last edited:
My dad screwed with me 2 years ago and didn't pay for my work with his company. Now this type of work is not the same as you guys work as a Pharmacy technician in a pharmacy. I am talking about being outside in the hot summer sun and then work 9 (sometimes 12) hour shifts from 8 am to 5 pm (or to 8 pm when the summer sun goes down). I worked for 4 years taking off roofs and putting it back on. No Air Conditioning, only a pitch fork to take the roof off and hammer and nail to put the new roof on. I had blisters on my ears and my face is always red (hint, look at my picture!). The conditions on this job is really crappy.

So, My dad decided not to pay me for the last two years of my work because he left the house so he can divorice with my mom. Its like he thinks he can escape everything. He still owes me 2500 dollars and you know what?

I don't really care about getting that money anymore. I learned a lesson that I shouldn't care about money. I learned that I should give money away because then I would feel better about myself.

Your rationale doesn't make sense. You learned a lesson by working hard and not getting paid, so you learned money wasn't the most important thing in life. That I understand.

However, because of this you want the government to pay people who don't work - so not only do they NOT learn a lesson, they learn to be co-dependent. If you learned anything above is that these people should learn the value of working hard and creating their own self-worth. Helping people in need is one thing. Paying people unwilling to work is another.

And you have stated several times about how rich people give millions away to charity. They do that because it is THEIR choice. THEY get to choose the needy people that get it. I have yet to see a charity fund called "abled bodied Americans who are unwilling to work" fund that is being donated to by the rich. I give to lots of charities, but I wouldn't give to that one by choice. And I don't like that even one of my tax dollars go to that one.

Our government assistance is set up so that if you try and work and support your family they won't assist you when you need it. But if you give up they let you live off of the system. This produces an entire class of people with little to no self-worth, which creates a bigger problem because these people are raising children who learn to live this.

But by your own admission, hey it's America. We can afford it. So don't sweat it.

However, if I had 3 children of adult age, 2 of which were productive members of society, and one chose not to be. I wouldn't support the third one thinking I should just be grateful it was only 1 child not 3 who were like this. I think that 3rd should learn a lesson in self-worth and suffer the consequences of not wanting to do for themselves.

Additionally, most people would give to people truely in need. The government doesn't have to "force" us to do this. Churches have food and clothing pantries that are supplied by those of us who go to Church. Many people donate money to charities. Many people do things like buying christmas presents for those children that need them (like toys for tots, etc.). And most of us, if our family, neighbor or friend asked us for monetary help or we saw they needed help, would help if we felt they were trying to provide for themselves and for whatever reason could not. My 20 year old nephew died less than a year ago, and the entire town contributed to pay for his funeral. So why you think if the government doesn't "force" us to help others that most people wouldn't. That is wrong, the majority would. And in my experience, I have found that the people who wouldn't help others (in any way - not just talking about money) are the same people who live their lives on govt. assistance.

I currently live in true rural Texas - a town of less than 2,500 people, a lot of which make less than $20,000/yr. And we are blessed because anytime the newspaper or Church knows of someone in need, most people in town will pitch in to help, be it money or work or clothes or whatever. Recently a 19 year old was driving drunk and ran right into the house of an 80 year old here in town. She had no home insurance, and the government wasn't going to help pay to fix her house. The 19 year old had no car insurance. The town pitched in, purchased the supplies needed, and we all did the work to repair her home. But none of us were volunteering to help buy the 19 year old another car.

In my little town right now I can see a few people who actually benefit from govt. assistance. But the majority of the people on govt. assistance here also have problems with alcoholism or drugs. The few that actually benefit would definitely be helped by individuals or Churches if they didn't get any govt. assistance (and most are helped by both even after getting govt. assistance). So without the govt. assistance, those people who are trying would still be helped by all of us. Those people who are seeking money to purchase drugs, alcohol, cigarrettes, etc. would not receive money without govt. assistance. So who does the govt. assistance really benefit? And maybe some of those people should learn some hard lessons in self-worth.

And to PharmD321

Here's something else to think about:

Your stance is that no matter the tax, we should pay it. The government has decided that is what is best, we can afford it, so we should pay it.

America was born because of a revolt against taxes. According to your theory our forefathers were traitors - which they were certainly considered such by England. I am thankful our forefathers not only spoke up against taxes, but physically revolted against them. And if you have ever read the Constitution and our Bill of Rights you know absolutely they were written to protect the people from the government, not protect the government from the people. They were written to protect us from big all-powerful government who does what it pleases without the consent of the people. And considering Bush's approval rating, he has definitely done what he pleases without the consent of the people. But I digress.

However, I think our forefathers would roll over in their graves if they could see the amount of taxes we pay and what our tax dollars are being used for. The system is broken, and throwing more tax dollars at it isn't going to fix it. America is basically in bankruptcy and people like Barney Frank are saying the way to fix it is to spend more. That makes absolutely no sense, but is understandable since the money they are spending is OUR money. If you personally are eyeballs in debt the last thing you should be doing is borrowing more money or spending more borrowed money. But common sense is in short supply in our government.

My oh my do I agree with you! If I am ever in SF remind me to look you up and buy you a drink :)

Your words towards success remind me of a quote by Thoreau "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it"

Good luck in your future and keep working hard!