Obesity rate predicted to increase from 35% to 44%-Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been fairly broke at times, and lived in areas where lots of poor people live. This will piss some people off, but really, eating crap when you're poor is a matter of ignorance rather than poverty. We lived on lentils and rice, super cheap cans of beans (Mr Gouda's rocks!), cornmeal, cheap chicken and meat, and so forth.

Just to piss people off further, I noticed that many immigrants did as I did, and many of them were on social assistance or working minimum wage jobs, yet their kids were not fat the way the white trash kids living in the same neighbourhood were fat. I'd be picking up bags of cornmeal along side people from Ethiopia while the fat white people were filling up their carts in the cheap junk aisle.

And yeah, we eat cheap pasta, too. But you have to moderate that stuff. And beans are just as cheap as pasta.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anyone is making any generalized statements negating the benefits of diet and exercise. The truth of the matter is that obesity is multifactorial and goes well beyond the calories-in/calories-out paradigm.

I agree. Thats why in all those pics of the concentration camps in germany there's always that one fat f*ck in the background.

I agree. Thats why in all those pics of the concentration camps in germany there's always that one fat f*ck in the background.

Interesting new twist on an old classic.