Obsessive Compulsive Disorder & Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocDDS

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been a long time SDN creep but finally decided to create an account today. I have read a few threads recently (the thread on mental illness and one where the guy was charged with drug posession for example) that have inspired me to seek some advice from you all on some things that I am worried about when it comes to DS. I have been clinically diagnosed with OCD. I have several ticks or rituals as they are often called but really they are just compulsive behaviors triggered by various stimuli that I can not control. I have found a way to surpress, or work around the majority of these behaviors however there are two that I have not. I was accepted to dental school, will start this fall, however thinking about it makes me severely anxious. I want to share my "Big two" and get some advice. I am very ashamed and embarrased by these behaviors, however this being an anonomyous forum, I am willing to share and wade through the mean comments and jokes and find some genuine advice, as I believe past posters have. Well here goes.

1. Every time I hear some one cough, sneeze, clear their their throat, etc. I immediately and very audibly mimic them(You would NOT BELIEVE how often people cough if you werent paying attentioin to it) . This has caused many problems in class, I have been kicked out of class many times for this, and I fear the same will happen in DS and I will fall behind. I have warned professors about this behavior in the past, but it has still been a disruption.

Let me preface #2 by saying I am not JOKING. This behavior affects my personal life more often than class, but I am worried about the small class size and study groups, etc. you'll see. ALSO I have seen a therapist many times and we have gotten to the root of this problem which I will share later. I do not have insurance so I am only able to see a therapist as often as I can affort to pay for the office visit, which is not cheap.

2. Every time I enter ANY bathroom, public or private I can not leave until I masturbate. This is not a joke. It isnt like a bathroom gets me excited or whatever, sometimes it takes some effort and time to make it happen. I have tried leaving without however I have episodes of panic and cant function until I do. I grew up in a very full house, shared a room so when I came of age and needed to take care of those types of things I would do it in the bathroom, the only place I could get privacy, my therapist thinks this has something to do with this. I have not been able to have a lot of friends because I fear this will be found out if I hang out in a small group.

For those of you who have no experience with OCD may not be able to identify and I am sure some jokes will be made, I am fine with that, but I hope there are others who can help me out give me some confidence. Thanks for reading this long winded vent. Feel free to ask any questions. I am fine answering them.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I would be mad at you if I coughed and you made the same noise as me. I do not think if you continue doing that you could possibly have any friends unless you discose this to them before they get close to you. Because I know if I started to like you as a friend and you kept doing that I would get mad at you and never talk to you again (thinking you are deriding me). The second one is just weird lol maybe you like dudes. If so, I think you should come out before dental school.

I have mildly ocd tendencies having to do with schoolwork and getting really mad if my letters cross into each other when I am writing. Also, if I print something and it has a speck on the white area, it severely pisses me off. I definitely waste a lot of paper lol

You just have to hope that on you interview your interviewer doesn't cough, sneeze, or blow his/her noise. On all of mine, they did. One elderly sweet fellow blew his noise really loud. If you mock them, they will not like you very much. GL

You just have to hope that on you interview your interviewer doesn't cough, sneeze, or blow his/her noise. On all of mine, they did. One elderly sweet fellow blew his noise really loud. If you mock them, they will not like you very much. GL

The OP clearly stated, "... I was accepted to dental school, will start this fall..."

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang...that's tough.

1) Sign up with the school's Office of Students with Disabilities. You'll be able to disclose whatever information you need to, and they'll be able to relay information to your professors directly (that you mimic coughs/sneezes/etc.) I think this will help so professors don't think of it as a joke, and will be more cognisant of what is happening and therefore won't be able to punish you either.

2) Once you do begin dental school, IMMEDIATELY set up therapy appointments to work on having your problem be resolved. You'll have health insurance in dental school, because you're required to, so you might as well use it to get therapy!

OCD tendencies can be difficult, and things just don't feel right if they don't happen. I'll tell you mine and how I solved it. Given, it's not nearly comparable to yours, but perhaps you can take something away from it and try to apply it to your situation?

When I'm walking on a side walk, I need to pass the lines in the sidewalk first with my right foot, then left, then left, then right. It sounds crazy. It started when I was little and I thought everything had an emotion, so I felt bad that one foot was never the "first starting foot". Stupid idea. Haha, anyways, now, I look up while walking and try not to pay attention to the ground. And for the most part, it's worked!

Best of luck, man, it'll be difficult, but hopefully you'll get through it. Not to worry you, but rather motivate you, imagine when you are in practice and you have patients come in, if you mimic your patient, that would be worse than mimicing a classmate, because that could severely affect your business. And, additionally, imagine all the time you would save if you didn't have to complete your bathroom rituals. However, I think it's more important to not "mock" your patient, because that would hurt you. Try using this as motivation, perhaps?

Good luck!

Hello,
I have been a long time SDN creep but finally decided to create an account today. I have read a few threads recently (the thread on mental illness and one where the guy was charged with drug posession for example) that have inspired me to seek some advice from you all on some things that I am worried about when it comes to DS. I have been clinically diagnosed with OCD. I have several ticks or rituals as they are often called but really they are just compulsive behaviors triggered by various stimuli that I can not control. I have found a way to surpress, or work around the majority of these behaviors however there are two that I have not. I was accepted to dental school, will start this fall, however thinking about it makes me severely anxious. I want to share my "Big two" and get some advice. I am very ashamed and embarrased by these behaviors, however this being an anonomyous forum, I am willing to share and wade through the mean comments and jokes and find some genuine advice, as I believe past posters have. Well here goes.

1. Every time I hear some one cough, sneeze, clear their their throat, etc. I immediately and very audibly mimic them(You would NOT BELIEVE how often people cough if you werent paying attentioin to it) . This has caused many problems in class, I have been kicked out of class many times for this, and I fear the same will happen in DS and I will fall behind. I have warned professors about this behavior in the past, but it has still been a disruption.

Let me preface #2 by saying I am not JOKING. This behavior affects my personal life more often than class, but I am worried about the small class size and study groups, etc. you'll see. ALSO I have seen a therapist many times and we have gotten to the root of this problem which I will share later. I do not have insurance so I am only able to see a therapist as often as I can affort to pay for the office visit, which is not cheap.

2. Every time I enter ANY bathroom, public or private I can not leave until I masturbate. This is not a joke. It isnt like a bathroom gets me excited or whatever, sometimes it takes some effort and time to make it happen. I have tried leaving without however I have episodes of panic and cant function until I do. I grew up in a very full house, shared a room so when I came of age and needed to take care of those types of things I would do it in the bathroom, the only place I could get privacy, my therapist thinks this has something to do with this. I have not been able to have a lot of friends because I fear this will be found out if I hang out in a small group.

For those of you who have no experience with OCD may not be able to identify and I am sure some jokes will be made, I am fine with that, but I hope there are others who can help me out give me some confidence. Thanks for reading this long winded vent. Feel free to ask any questions. I am fine answering them.

Thanks.

#1 bothers me but only because I don't think its fair to patients or the process of patient interaction or the profession in general. If you were my classmate, I actually think such a thing is interesting and I wouldn't get mad at you. Maybe annoyed after a time at the unnecessary noise (especially during flu season) but not at you if I knew you couldn't help it. But such a thing as a dentist? seems awkward and strange for a doctor to be the source of such a distraction.

I hope you disclosed #1 during the application process. Seems dishonest if you didn't. It would be interesting to see how an adcom would react.

#2 personally doesn't bother me at all. Its a totally private 'thing'. Masturbate away. Unless it takes more than a few extra minutes and then that is going to cause some problems.

Regardless all the best to you hope you can manage/overcome/ whatever makes you the most comfortable/ happy:luck:

The second one is just weird lol maybe you like dudes. If so, I think you should come out before dental school.

Bold statement, questioning the sexuality of someone diagnosed with a disorder.

To the OP...

#1 - just let people know ahead of time and continue working on it. The people that dislike you because you have OCD aren't with befriending anyway.

#2 - Strange to someone without the disorder, but if it's really uncontrollable, I guess at least there are stalls?? It's not like people would peek over the stall doors. But, just like the first one, keep working at it with your professional help as you can.

As long as you wash your hands! I'm sure you'll find a way :thumbup:

Dang...that's tough.

1) Sign up with the school's Office of Students with Disabilities. You'll be able to disclose whatever information you need to, and they'll be able to relay information to your professors directly (that you mimic coughs/sneezes/etc.) I think this will help so professors don't think of it as a joke, and will be more cognisant of what is happening and therefore won't be able to punish you either.

2) Once you do begin dental school, IMMEDIATELY set up therapy appointments to work on having your problem be resolved. You'll have health insurance in dental school, because you're required to, so you might as well use it to get therapy!

OCD tendencies can be difficult, and things just don't feel right if they don't happen. I'll tell you mine and how I solved it. Given, it's not nearly comparable to yours, but perhaps you can take something away from it and try to apply it to your situation?

When I'm walking on a side walk, I need to pass the lines in the sidewalk first with my right foot, then left, then left, then right. It sounds crazy. It started when I was little and I thought everything had an emotion, so I felt bad that one foot was never the "first starting foot". Stupid idea. Haha, anyways, now, I look up while walking and try not to pay attention to the ground. And for the most part, it's worked!

Best of luck, man, it'll be difficult, but hopefully you'll get through it. Not to worry you, but rather motivate you, imagine when you are in practice and you have patients come in, if you mimic your patient, that would be worse than mimicing a classmate, because that could severely affect your business. And, additionally, imagine all the time you would save if you didn't have to complete your bathroom rituals. However, I think it's more important to not "mock" your patient, because that would hurt you. Try using this as motivation, perhaps?

Good luck!

Thanks I really appreciate the advice!

First, BURNING CURIOSITY: are you male or female?

Here's my personal opinion:

If I met someone and they were cool and we became friends, and that friend told me they have OCD and uncontrollably mimic coughing/sneezing sounds, it would literally have zero impact on our friendship. Anyone who breaks off a friendship because of something so petty needs to get the **** over themselves, especially since we are all striving to be future healthcare professionals. Some of the people on this very thread should probably refer back to their personal statements and reevaluate their definition of "compassionate."

I wish you wouldn't feel embarrassed to tell people because I really don't think it's nearly as big of a deal as you make it seem. In fact, I feel like it would be way more awkward if you didn't tell people about it, and they just thought you were mocking them. Does your class have a Facebook group? Maybe you could post something primarily to introduce yourself to the class and then just briefly mention a little bit about your OCD, keeping it really cool and lighthearted, maybe even humorous. I know that would take a ton of courage and it's completely understandable if that's out of your comfort zone (heck, your therapist might say that's a terrible idea; I'm just throwing ideas around), but that would prepare them for what will inevitably happen at some point, and it then won't be a big deal when it does. If anyone views you any differently after that then those aren't people you want to associate yourself with anyway. I honestly think you might be surprised with how accepting people will be.

As for #2, might not want to take that one to Facebook :cool:. Just find a stall, make it quick, and keep the noise down. Bathrooms are a private place after all. Obviously continue seeing your therapist to try to work through overcoming it. Again, if my friend confided in me that they had this issue and it was out of their control, I would be nothing but supportive and understanding. It takes a real douche to judge someone over something like this.

Also just FYI, nobody is perfect and everyone has something that makes them self conscious/insecure. For example, anyone might think I'm just a normal guy, but I have this weird ass self-diagnosed phone anxiety. For whatever reason I just get insanely nervous when I call people I don't know. For the longest time this cycle I refused to call my schools to check on my application, and when I finally decided that it was absolutely necessary to ask, I had to pump myself up like I was about to play in the Superbowl :laugh:. And don't even get me started on leaving voicemails. I literally need a script to read if I'm going to be leaving any voicemails today. Heck if I know why it happens, but I personally think it's pretty humorous; everyone has their own quirks and I joke about it with my friends all the time :p

You might get some lame responses here so just ignore them. I really despise judgmental people; if you need someone to vent to feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to do what I can to help.

edit: oh yeah, and I'm also super pee-shy :p

Last edited:

If I met someone and they were cool and we became friends, and that friend told me they have OCD and uncontrollably mimic coughing/sneezing sounds, it would literally have zero impact on our friendship. Anyone who breaks off a friendship because of something so petty needs to get the **** over themselves, especially since we are all striving to be future healthcare professionals. Some of the people on this very thread should probably refer back to their personal statements and reevaluate their definition of "compassionate."

I wish you wouldn't feel embarrassed to tell people because I really don't think it's nearly as big of a deal as you make it seem. In fact, I feel like it would be way more awkward if you didn't tell people about it, and they just thought you were mocking them. Does your class have a Facebook group? Maybe you could post something primarily to introduce yourself to the class and then just briefly mention a little bit about your OCD, keeping it really cool and lighthearted, maybe even humorous. I know that would take a ton of courage and it's completely understandable if that's out of your comfort zone (heck, your therapist might say that's a terrible idea; I'm just throwing ideas around), but that would prepare them for what will inevitably happen at some point, and it then won't be a big deal when it does. If anyone views you any differently after that then those aren't people you want to associate yourself with anyway. I honestly think you might be surprised with how accepting people will be.

As for #2, might not want to take that one to Facebook :cool:. Just find a stall, make it quick, and keep the noise down. Bathrooms are a private place after all. Obviously continue seeing your therapist to try to work through overcoming it. Again, if my friend confided in me that they had this issue and it was out of their control, I would be nothing but supportive and understanding. It takes a real douche to judge someone over something like this.

Also just FYI, nobody is perfect and everyone has something that makes them self conscious/insecure. For example, anyone might think I'm just a normal guy, but I have this weird ass self-diagnosed phone anxiety. For whatever reason I just get insanely nervous when I call people I don't know. For the longest time this cycle I refused to call my schools to check on my application, and when I finally decided that it was absolutely necessary to ask, I had to pump myself up like I was about to play in the Superbowl :laugh:. And don't even get me started on leaving voicemails. I literally need a script to read if I'm going to be leaving any voicemails today. Heck if I know why it happens, but I personally think it's pretty humorous; everyone has their own quirks and I joke about it with my friends all the time :p

You might get some lame responses here so just ignore them. I really despise judgmental people; if you need someone to vent to feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to do what I can to help.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I am male which I completely understand makes my behavior weird instead of hot. Haha. I don't think I have the balls to announce it on Facebook. But in the fall all the SDN kids in my class will know my secret the first time they cough in class. I'm alright with that I guess. Although I admit I didn't think about that when I first posted. And when I realized that I panicked a little. I doubt anyone will remember.

For the doubters, this is real. Its my life. You can't make stuff like this up.

Thanks I really appreciate the advice!

PS. I just realized that if you sign up with OSD (Office of Students with Disabilities), you can even ask for special testing accommodations, so you can take your test in a room all by yourself. Therefore, you won't be distracted by anyone else's coughing (and hopefully you will be less anxious), and it wouldn't disturb your fellow classmates during exams? Just something else to think about...OSD has a lot of interesting services that they provide, so make sure you check them all out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also forgot to mention that most lectures are recorded and you could watch them at home if you were having a particularly bad day. And in lab, you could wear a good pair of headphones to drown out coughing.

Also forgot to mention that most lectures are recorded and you could watch them at home if you were having a particularly bad day. And in lab, you could wear a good pair of headphones to drown out coughing.

Great ideas thanks!

Please come to my school. We will single you out and alienate you.

Kidding :)

posted same post twice for some reason...see below

Last edited:
So...I don't have OCD but I helped someone in my family with pretty bad OCD get over it (most of the time), so maybe I can have an effect on you as well through her experience...
I asked her why she acts on her compulsions. She said she is scared of the consequences if she doesn't. When I asked her what the consequences were, she said that it varies, but she was worried people would die or bad things would happen if she didn't repeat something (like leaving a room, and coming back, only to leave again, as an example). I told her to realize that she made up the consequences and they had no basis in reality. I think it's of major importance to realize that you made up the consequence which makes you fearful not to mimic others' coughing/sneezing etc. Key word= you. The consequences are not based in reality. They are something you made up. You one day decided that this is your reality (perhaps as early as childhood), and if you don't act upon these compulsions, xyz will happen. However, you created a lie and are choosing to live in it. Just as you made up a lie, you can tear it down and expose it as nothing more than something your brain contrived. It is nonsense that your mind made up. The second you own that, when you realize you are living in a lie, you can tell yourself that the next time someone coughs/sneezes, etc., you will not mimic that. As hard as it may be, you will not do it. You will probably obsess about it the entire time, and want to do it just to get out of your own head, but don't do it, and realize that the xyz consequence didn't happen. This is very important, because you will realize that you were living in a lie. You should also realize that just because you were living in a lie, doesn't mean you have to stay living in a lie. You need to be very self- aware, self- motivated, and strong enough to be scared of not doing the behavior, but don't do it anyways. I told this family member this, and it was very powerful for her to realize that she started this in childhood and was making up these non-sensical consequences. The first time she didn't do her compulsion, she realized the consequence didn't happen (no one died, got in a car accident, etc.) and it was a big deal. This is something you will have to struggle with, because you are fighting with a reality that you created. However, I do not believe you have to go to dental school and mimic people coughing just because you did it before, or perhaps even a minute ago. Take control of your reality and change it. You have the power to overcome your compulsions- it really is a question of whether you want to or not. You need to face these compulsions dead on and say "FU- I'm not acting on it." When the consequence doesn't happen, you need to continuously remind yourself that the consequence didn't happen, and it will give you the confidence to overcome your compulsions the next time someone coughs, sneezes, etc. Hope this helps (not sure if it's possible in an online forum, but it can't hurt to try). I wish you the best of luck.

#2 has to be super inconvenient...

I figure i go to the bathroom around 3-5 times a day and several more times just to wash my hands... so maybe around 6-8 times a day in total i will visit a restroom.

I can't even imagine servicing yourself that much every single day. There is no way that is healthy.

If this is true, i feel bad for you man. More than anything this is a huge waste of time.

Hello,

Thanks.

Greetings,

The first thing you need to do is to get treatment. Period. At this point, I would not be concerned about DS right now. You are smart enough to gain admission so I don't think you will have any issues if you delay one or two years later until you get the symptoms under control. The last thing you want is leaving DS because of OCD. That amounts to wasted money, effort, and a blotched resume to boot. Here is what I suggest:

1. Write a letter and demonstrate the reasons for your rejection of their offer. This is a valid reason and the AC will not judge against you.

2. Find psychiatrist/psychologist who specialize in treating OCD.

3. Get your OCD symptoms under control.

4. Once this is accomplished, reapply to DS. DP

about the second problem. just stop it. if you are in holiday try stopping it. sure you will panic but who cares ? you are in holiday, you don't have to go to classes or meet people. just quit it and the panic will go away sooner or later.

^ Grandma advice style :)

Greetings,

The first thing you need to do is to get treatment. Period. At this point, I would not be concerned about DS right now. You are smart enough to gain admission so I don't think you will have any issues if you delay one or two years later until you get the symptoms under control. The last thing leaving because of OCD. That amounts to wasted money, effort, and a blotched resume to boot. Here is what I suggest:

1. Write a letter and demonstrate the reasons for your rejection of their offer. This is a valid reason and the AC will not judge against you.

2. Find psychiatrist/psychologist who specialize in treating OCD.

3. Get your OCD symptoms under control.

4. Once this is accomplished, reapply to DS. DP

What I didn't mention is that this was my third time applying, first time gaining acceptance. I don't think I could turn down this offer and risk not getting in again.
Though I will continue to seek help up until, and while in school.

about the second problem. just stop it. if you are in holiday try stopping it. sure you will panic but who cares ? you are in holiday, you don't have to go to classes or meet people. just quit it and the panic will go away sooner or later.

^ Grandma advice style :)

Holiday?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

Find a private bathroom somewhere in the school?

I was thinking that forcing yourself not to and treating the resulting anxiety with a short-acting anxiolytic medication is one possible solution, but I'm certainly no expert.

The coughing/sneezing thing... any idea if this is in some way related to Tourette syndrome?

Find a private bathroom somewhere in the school?

I was thinking that forcing yourself not to and treating the resulting anxiety with a short-acting anxiolytic medication is one possible solution, but I'm certainly no expert.

The coughing/sneezing thing... any idea if this is in some way related to Tourette syndrome?

That behavior does resemble Tourettes. My therapist has discussed that with me, but because all of the other behaviors I have aren't anything like Tourettes, this is the only one that even remotely resembles it, she is hesitant to make that diagnosis. So trust me you're not the first one to suggest that. I have been on an anti anxiety medication for about two years off and on (when I can afford the refills) I can see a difference when i'm on them but its nothing drastic, so I haven't has much success. I haven't closed that door though, I plan to look into other medications.

That behavior does resemble Tourettes. My therapist has discussed that with me, but because all of the other behaviors I have aren't anything like Tourettes, this is the only one that even remotely resembles it, she is hesitant to make that diagnosis. So trust me you're not the first one to suggest that. I have been on an anti anxiety medication for about two years off and on (when I can afford the refills) I can see a difference when i'm on them but its nothing drastic, so I haven't has much success. I haven't closed that door though, I plan to look into other medications.
Benzodiazepines have been around for a long time. Many are generic and should be absolutely dirt cheap. I would guess that something very short-acting and taken as-needed (or even prophylactically before a trip to the bathroom) would help for this sort of situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_benzodiazepines

Remember that SDN is not the place to be treatment planning someone. If you have practical suggestions for the OP's issues, that is one thing, but let's not start prescribing medications.

To the OP, I urge you to work with your therapists to get a handle on these issues, especially the second one. Try to imagine dealing with that while you're in private practice and you have patients and staff waiting on you.

I do not have insurance so I am only able to see a therapist as often as I can affort to pay for the office visit, which is not cheap.

I would recommend looking into whether any schools in your area offer a PsyD. or similar psychology/counseling program. They often run sliding fee clinics where you are treated by a student therapist (analogous to the way you will most likely be administering treatment when you are in dental school).

One drawback could be that the student therapists eventually have to graduate and leave, interrupting the continuity of treatment, but you'll be leaving in the fall to go to school anyway, right?

I am exactly the same way with talking to new people on the phone/leaving voicemails.

To the OP: I'm sorry that I can't contribute any suggestions, but I do have a serious question. When you cough/sneeze, do you mimic yourself?

I am exactly the same way with talking to new people on the phone/leaving voicemails.

To the OP: I'm sorry that I can't contribute any suggestions, but I do have a serious question. When you cough/sneeze, do you mimic yourself?

haha no I don't.

i have an ocd too

i can't use the bathroom by myself

maybe we can be bathroom buddies?

ocdds should request to take the test in a bathroom thatd be hilarious

i have an ocd too

i can't use the bathroom by myself

maybe we can be bathroom buddies?

I knew the comedians would eventually make an appearance.

Thanks to everyone else for the advice and support.

I honestly think you should get your ocd sorted out before you enroll. How do you know you won't get other "urges" in dental school? What if you have a patient waiting for you and you happened to use the bathroom... your going to rub one out while they wait? It's just weird man. Sorry to sound harsh.

Hey buddy! I think you will be fine in dental school! Most people who go to dental school are weirdos anyway! Congratulations on your admission! GL and just keep a low profile for four years and you will be a dentist!

I am glad you realize your problem and are getting help. You sound like a strong person and I hope you can get through these obstacles. Mad respect.

posting in this thread.

Has anyone had their cough mimicked or heard anything strange in the bathroom in their first of year of dental school, I want to know what school this kid goes to.

I can't say I really have any advice, but I fully agree with what wcombs said. Someone who would refuse being your friend because of health problems isn't likely to be someone worth befriending. You're probably going to have to move away from your current therapist, so you'll need to find a new one. This actually might be very beneficial to you, as a new therapist might offer different advice to help you overcome your OCD. Hope you can work through this.

EDIT: Just realized this was an old thread bumped

Reactions: 1 user
The first one will be tough especially in big lecture classes, and the second one is too costly, time wise.

Edit: I just realized that I replied to this thread before.

Oh well ..