Obtaining DEA #

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rolen05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you need a separate DEA # or registration for each place of employment within the same state? The DEA website says you need a separate one for each place you dispense/distribute, but prescribing is the same one everywhere.

thx for clarification!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you need a separate DEA # or registration for each place of employment within the same state? The DEA website says you need a separate one for each place you dispense/distribute, but prescribing is the same one everywhere.

thx for clarification!
Not same state but you will need a separate dea if you are working in 2 different states at the same time. If you work in one state and then start working in a different state,then you can move it to the new state.
Many people have privledges in more than one hospital in the same area and don’t maintain separate dea for each hospital

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you have to pay the $750 per state?
I don't think so. I think you get one federal DEA. Then, you need a state DEA for each state you work in IF that state has a DEA. Some do not, and all you need is the federal. There is a charge to get a state DEA but it will differ per state, I assume.

I don't think so. I think you get one federal DEA. Then, you need a state DEA for each state you work in IF that state has a DEA. Some do not, and all you need is the federal. There is a charge to get a state DEA but it will differ per state, I assume.
No if you are working in 2 different states at the same time, you will need a separate DEA for each state, meaning that you need to have 2 different DEA numbers. There are states that have controlled substance registrations (CSR) that are required along with the DEA but must be parked in the state as well.

I have 2 DEAs since there are times that I work in 2 states at the same time, one that requires a CSR and have to keep one in each state.

This is wrong.

Unless you are working for the VA or another system that supersedes other regulations (indian health service comes to mind as a possibility), if you are *concurrently* employed in 2 different states, you need a separate federal DEA certificate for each state with an address in each, which means paying for two.

You might be able to get away with only paying for one if one or the other employer is a government entity that entitles you to a waived fee - but you'll still need a second certificate.

Not an issue if you happen to have two jobs within the same state - one certificate is sufficient, even if only one address is listed.

Note: You might be able to get away with using the same DEA in two states - but this is actually illegal.

See https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/locum_tenens.htm with the relevant portion being

DEA has provided a limited exception to this requirement in that practitioners who register at one location in a state, but practice at other locations within the same state, are not required to register with DEA at any other location in that state at which they only prescribe controlled substances. 21 C.F.R. § 1301.12(b)(3).

That link does also spell out what other options are - which are basically working under the hospital/institutional DEA or just transferring one registration over (but the latter will not work if you have two concurrent jobs).