Ochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just browsing MSN, and saw an article discussing med school admissions and organic chemistry. This is what it said:
"It's true. Medical schools will put your application in another pile if you don't achieve an A in Orgo. That doesn't mean automatic rejection for B students. Apply the same approach that you would for any college course--give it your all. Push yourself forward, but don't freak out. The mental strain alone can be devastating." (http://encarta.msn.com/grad_article_hittingbooksorgo/Hitting_the_books_Orgo.html)

What do you guys think about this. Is there any truth to that statement?

Members don't see this ad.

What do I think about this? I'm freaked out now.

I am a second semester freshman, and decided 2 months ago that I was going to take Orgo this summer. Thats it. Nothing else. I am already registered and ready to go, and I will actually be taking a bio lab at the same time.

BUT, I wanted to take Ochem this summer to avoid taking it with 18 other credits in the fall. That article freaks me out somewhat, but also gives me hope that if I can get an A, it will truly stand out and get recognized.

BTW: The info in the article is presented by Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions.

bbas said:
I was just browsing MSN, and saw an article discussing med school admissions and organic chemistry. This is what it said:
"It's true. Medical schools will put your application in another pile if you don't achieve an A in Orgo. That doesn't mean automatic rejection for B students. Apply the same approach that you would for any college course--give it your all. Push yourself forward, but don't freak out. The mental strain alone can be devastating." (http://encarta.msn.com/grad_article_hittingbooksorgo/Hitting_the_books_Orgo.html)

Never heard that before. Ever. And I just got an A- in OChem lab. Time will tell...

Anyway the wording is too vague to be very useful, "put in another pile?" What's that mean exactly? How bad does it hurt being in this other pile? ALL med schools do this? -- that's sure what the author's implying. Just the fact that these obvious and important questions go unanswered in the article hurts its credibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of people get in without an A in organic chem. It's not the kiss of death. That said, it's not going to help you any.

On the other hand, getting an A in organic in and of itself won't make you stand out at all, either.

Med school apps aren't a matter of one grade in one course. It's more about the gestalt of your application as a whole.

MollyMalone said:
Plenty of people get in without an A in organic chem. It's not the kiss of death. That said, it's not going to help you any.

On the other hand, getting an A in organic in and of itself won't make you stand out at all, either.

Med school apps aren't a matter of one grade in one course. It's more about the gestalt of your application as a whole.

That's what I figured, which is why that article surprised me somewhat. I don't understand why ochem would be considered the most important pre-req, especially since it's not really used in medical school. I would think that more emphasis would be placed on biochem or other upper level bio courses.

This has been discussed before many times. Do a search, and you will find plenty who claimed that they got in just fine an organic grade below an A.

BrettBatchelor said:
It was supplied by our friends at Kaplan.

Which makes it reliabe or not?

big giant lie. We all know the med school decisions are made by lining a bird cage with the list of applicant names. People who don't have poop on their name after a week are invited to interview.

bbas said:
Which makes it reliabe or not?

Not. The only way that article would have been more suspect is if it had contained an Amazon link to Kaplan prep books.

Kaplan should be burned to the ground.

Rafa said:
Not. The only way that article would have been more suspect is if it had contained an Amazon link to Kaplan prep books.
I think that, once you've been through the admissions process, the idea that 126 allopathic medical schools, each with an admissions committee of 10 to maybe 30 academic physicians as members, do *anything* consistently, let alone looking at organic grades, is absolutely hysterical. Organic grades are more important than some things, but I'm more on board with Flop's bird cage hypothesis than I am on board with Kaplan.

Sounds blatantly wrong to me...

bbas said:
Look, you guys need to chill. Just focus on making your app as strong as you can, and don't freak out about one B in one class. Even if the statement *is* true, it isn't a commandment set in stone. Everyone has weaknesses in their apps, but if you're strong in other places, you can make up for those weaknesses. Apply to a broad range of schools (use the MSAR to pick suitable ones), apply to your state school(s), and apply early if you can.

QofQuimica said:
Look, you guys need to chill. Just focus on making your app as strong as you can, and don't freak out about one B in one class. Even if the statement *is* true, it isn't a commandment set in stone. Everyone has weaknesses in their apps, but if you're strong in other places, you can make up for those weaknesses. Apply to a broad range of schools (use the MSAR to pick suitable ones), apply to your state school(s), and apply early if you can.

I agree. And also, don't get intimidated by this course. People fear and whine and rant about orgo, but it is not really *that* difficult. If you are a science major, the chances are that you will take more difficult science courses while you are an undergrad. And no matter what your major, it's only going to get harder in medical school. So take a deep breath, study hard, try your best, and have a beer afterwards. This coming from a guy who has an orgo II final exam tomorrow :eek: