Should I take Ochem 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackLotus95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a non-trad student and I really goofed my Ochem class it seems. I was coasting along with an 85 (doing every extra credit, going to all the office hours, etc) and then did badly on my final and got a C+ ultimately in the class. A in the lab, but that doesn't do me much good. I got an 89 in Biochem as my postbacc has us take Ochem and Biochem simultaneously (kind of what made everything jumbled up to me, but it is what it is now).

Ultimately, I'm wondering if I should even attempt Ochem 2? I worry it will tank my GPA. I have a 3.52 cGPA and a 3.82 sGPA as I did great in most of my sciences. I have to study for my MCAT this next semester and I'm aiming to take it the first date in June. I've compiled a list of med schools that will accept Biochem in place of Ochem 2 so I can focus most of my energy on the MCAT. Its about 13 pages of schools although some have a preference for in-staters. Getting the C kicked me out of my postbacc linkage so I'm feeling pretty bruised. I made all A's so far in my postbacc except 1 B+ in Gen Chem 1 until now. And if I didn't do well a second time at the end of my postbacc career, the "upward trend" thing is going to go down the tubes for sure.

What do you guys think? Should I try anyway? It would be tough to fit in Ochem 2, Physics 2, and my 3rd cadaver lab with MCAT study (roughly 90 mins a day). And a gap year is not going to do much for me at 26 going on 27 other than make me even older. But I know many schools require it. I'm from Texas but living in PA, and most Texas schools require the 8 hours of Ochem. So it is limiting my pool to a degree. And I don't want Adcoms to think I just gave up because the class was hard. I just only have so much time in the day and we aren't allowed to retake classes in my postbacc. I appreciate the words of wisdom that any of you have to give.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I never took OChem II, got into med school just fine. You might limit what programs you can apply too, but if you are this worried about the course, then I would say do not take it.

OChem is used to weed you out of Med School, if you think it will provide them another data point to prove them right, then do not give it to them.

Reactions: 1 user
I never took OChem II, got into med school just fine. You might limit what programs you can apply too, but if you are this worried about the course, then I would say do not take it.

OChem is used to weed you out of Med School, if you think it will provide them another data point to prove them right, then do not give it to them.
This, and some schools will take biochem 1 in place of orgo 2. Again this decision should based on where you want to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)

I feel like it definitely is and I do have a lot of schools I'd love to go to that don't require it. Like LSU Shreveport and more. Thank you for your insight. Plus it will save me money in the long run. I pay for college myself and this postbacc I go to isn't cheap at all. Our professor imagines that we get a lot of home support that I don't get at my age and that we don't have to work. I appreciate the encouragement.

This, and some schools will take biochem 1 in place of orgo 2. Again this decision should based on where you want to apply.
Yes! I took biochem 1 (no lab) and Ochem 1 with lab simultaneously. If they have a biochem lab, I will take that this spring but I don't think that they will. It was a real trip to take both at the same time. Makes your head spin with info that is almost complementary on both sides.

Ar
So I'm a non-trad student and I really goofed my Ochem class it seems. I was coasting along with an 85 (doing every extra credit, going to all the office hours, etc) and then did badly on my final and got a C+ ultimately in the class. A in the lab, but that doesn't do me much good. I got an 89 in Biochem as my postbacc has us take Ochem and Biochem simultaneously (kind of what made everything jumbled up to me, but it is what it is now).

Ultimately, I'm wondering if I should even attempt Ochem 2? I worry it will tank my GPA. I have a 3.52 cGPA and a 3.82 sGPA as I did great in most of my sciences. I have to study for my MCAT this next semester and I'm aiming to take it the first date in June. I've compiled a list of med schools that will accept Biochem in place of Ochem 2 so I can focus most of my energy on the MCAT. Its about 13 pages of schools although some have a preference for in-staters. Getting the C kicked me out of my postbacc linkage so I'm feeling pretty bruised. I made all A's so far in my postbacc except 1 B+ in Gen Chem 1 until now. And if I didn't do well a second time at the end of my postbacc career, the "upward trend" thing is going to go down the tubes for sure.

What do you guys think? Should I try anyway? It would be tough to fit in Ochem 2, Physics 2, and my 3rd cadaver lab with MCAT study (roughly 90 mins a day). And a gap year is not going to do much for me at 26 going on 27 other than make me even older. But I know many schools require it. I'm from Texas but living in PA, and most Texas schools require the 8 hours of Ochem. So it is limiting my pool to a degree. And I don't want Adcoms to think I just gave up because the class was hard. I just only have so much time in the day and we aren't allowed to retake classes in my postbacc. I appreciate the words of wisdom that any of you have to give.
Are you a TX resident for purposes of medical school apps? TX residents have a hard time getting interest from non-TX schools.

So first thing is to look at the rules for TX residency and see if you will be considered a TX resident.

Ar

Are you a TX resident for purposes of medical school apps? TX residents have a hard time getting interest from non-TX schools.

So first thing is to look at the rules for TX residency and see if you will be considered a TX resident.
That's the million-dollar question. I've asked around and I would have to do a process to prove it. My husband is in the military and so I'm in PA on military orders. I maintain my residency status as a Texan and pay taxes to Texas as per the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act and Military Spouse Residency Relief Act. My attempts to explain this to my pre-med advisor as well as admissions offices at schools has been lukewarm at understanding that. It's just not something most applicants are dealing with. I really don't know many other military people who are active duty affiliated doing what I'm doing. So I would say yes I am a Texas resident, but I have not actually lived there since 2016.

I personally thought Ochem 2 was significantly more difficult than Ochem 1. If you don’t need it, I wouldn’t recommend risking another GPA hit, especially when a C+ isn’t foreshadowing success in Ochem 2. I don’t recall Ochem 2 being needed for the mcat much, if at all.

I personally thought Ochem 2 was significantly more difficult than Ochem 1. If you don’t need it, I wouldn’t recommend risking another GPA hit, especially when a C+ isn’t foreshadowing success in Ochem 2. I don’t recall Ochem 2 being needed for the mcat much, if at all.
Thank you, I feel the same. I was doing fine for a bit but big crash at the end that knocked me off my B. And I don't know how I'd fit in tutoring, work, MCAT study, etc. Wish I could pause my need to pay bills for the next semester haha

That's the million-dollar question. I've asked around and I would have to do a process to prove it. My husband is in the military and so I'm in PA on military orders. I maintain my residency status as a Texan and pay taxes to Texas as per the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act and Military Spouse Residency Relief Act. My attempts to explain this to my pre-med advisor as well as admissions offices at schools has been lukewarm at understanding that. It's just not something most applicants are dealing with. I really don't know many other military people who are active duty affiliated doing what I'm doing. So I would say yes I am a Texas resident, but I have not actually lived there since 2016.
I’m pretty sure you have to be living in TX for at least 12 consecutive months at the time of application to qualify as a TX resident. In your case, you want to avoid being classified as a TX resident bc TX state schools do require orgo 2.

Do PA state medical schools require orgo 2? Perhaps you should switch to paying taxes in PA, switch your car registration, etc to PA and do whatever else you need to do to make that happen?

You’re at risk of being a resident of no state (for medical school purposes). This is a separate issue from whether to take orgo 2.

Can you take orgo 2 outside your postbacc program?

I did significantly better in orgo 2 than in orgo 1 by the way. Orgo 1 was by far my worst grade FWIW.

You’re at risk of being a resident of no state (for medical school purposes).
This isn’t that big of an issue. When I applied to med school, my home of record was New Jersey, but I had a California license and a Virginia address. Had no problem getting interviews or acceptances. Being military or a military dependent is something most schools understand.

Reactions: 3 users
This isn’t that big of an issue. When I applied to med school, my home of record was New Jersey, but I had a California license and a Virginia address. Had no problem getting interviews or acceptances. Being military or a military dependent is something most schools understand.
Interestingly enough basically everything I own is Texas. Texas license, Texas car registration, and I maintain my residence as my parents address in Texas. My mailing address is PA and is where u currently live. Sucks that doesn’t count me as Texas but I guess it’s for the best if I don’t want to take Ochem 2. But I could get a PA license if you all think it will help. I know a lot of schools in Texas do require that class although I saw that Dell doesn’t and TCU/UNTHSC SOM doesn’t. And PA schools have many that don’t like temple and Jefferson. My extended family lives in NJ. And a few don’t there either such as Cooper and one of the Rutgers. So I’m happy to go elsewhere too! I hope the adcoms understand the military thing because so far it’s been tough to explain haha

I hope the adcoms understand the military thing because so far it’s been tough to explain haha
I had no problem in my app cycle. I doubt you will. There might be a couple schools who will be hesitant to interview you because they don’t realize you have ties to the state, but at least for me that was a minority of schools.

I had no problem in my app cycle. I doubt you will. There might be a couple schools who will be hesitant to interview you because they don’t realize you have ties to the state, but at least for me that was a minority of schools.
You’re in the military and there are schools who consider that a positive. She’s the spouse of one. Does that count for anything?

You’re in the military and there are schools who consider that a positive. She’s the spouse of one. Does that count for anything?
Yes. Especially if she weaves that into any of her secondaries or PS. Being a military spouse can be very difficult and requires a lot of sacrifice, perseverance, and strength.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Yes. Especially if she weaves that into any of her secondaries or PS. Being a military spouse can be very difficult and requires a lot of sacrifice, perseverance, and strength.
That’s very kind of you. I probably should weave it in. My PS right now reflects it to a degree but focuses a bit more on my experience with IBD and my mom’s MS growing up. It’s still being workshopped between me and my advisor. I appreciate the help!

That’s very kind of you. I probably should weave it in. My PS right now reflects it to a degree but focuses a bit more on my experience with IBD and my mom’s MS growing up. It’s still being workshopped between me and my advisor. I appreciate the help!
That’s okay. It doesn’t need to be your whole story. Just throw it into secondaries and those kinds of essays.

Don't take it! I thought the same thing. I ended up with a 3.0 in orgo 2. It hurt my GPA! 😅