Od/mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeballOAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi are there anyone who can share some information on the OD/MPH degree? Are there specific jobs out there for eye doctors with an MPH degree that uses knowledge from both fields? I have some interest in public health but I'm not sure if I should pursue it if in the long run it won't be beneficial to me finding a good job. SUNY has a joint program but from the vibe I get, it's not a very popular route to go. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi are there anyone who can share some information on the OD/MPH degree? Are there specific jobs out there for eye doctors with an MPH degree that uses knowledge from both fields? I have some interest in public health but I'm not sure if I should pursue it if in the long run it won't be beneficial to me finding a good job. SUNY has a joint program but from the vibe I get, it's not a very popular route to go. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

In short, there are very few jobs that require, or make use of, an OD and MPH. Most optometrists with training in Public Health are in Academia. Some are in practice. A very few are involved in global health. One works for the CDC.

If you desire to practice optometry you will get very little out of an MPH. If you want to work in a community health centre, in academia or globally an MPH will be helpful but probably not necessary. Unless you have a specific desire to find a way to do public health work I would avoid getting an MPH. And you do have to really create your own career if you wish to do public health work with an OD.

Please note that I say all of the above while having an OD/MPH and having just finished my applications to return to school for a PhD (public health) or DrPH. I wouldn't change my education pathway but my interest is in Public health more than optometry.