OD or PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAB1215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just completed my sophomore year of college and am heavily considering a career in optometry. I have done some shadowing this summer and have really enjoyed it. However, the very first day I shadowed I had some mixed feelings and came home confused, and started researching PA. I did enjoy the remainder of my shadowing experiences, but still have PA on my mind.
What has always attracted me to optometry is the fact that patients generally are happy to see you, which makes for a less depressing job. However, I am worried that it may become boring after a while, whereas PA may not. I also like the fact that optometrists, compared to PAs, are more autonomous doctors, whereas PAs must work under a doctor.

I shadowed optometrists in glaucoma, retina, cataract, and dry eye clinics, which I loved. Therefore, I was thinking of eventually doing a residency in ocular disease if I go the optometry route. I was wondering how an optometrist's job might change if he/she has done a residency in ocular disease? In other words, do these optometrists work more often in hospitals, rather than setting up their own private practices? There is also a lot of talk online of optometry, as a career, diminishing, and being taken over by the commercial sector (lens crafters, etc.), so I was wondering if that wouldn't really apply to those optometrists whose careers center more around ocular disease?

I was wondering if anyone was in the same boat, in regards to OD/ PA commitment issues, or if any OD or PA students or doctors have some insight as to these careers? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of good questions here, and hopefully you get some insightful answers. I just wanted to leave my 2 cents after being in practice for a bit.

All jobs eventually become boring. Unless you're pioneering a new surgical technique everyday, or even if your job involves rocket science, there's always a standard (repetitive) protocol that you follow. Don't let that be a deterrent to optometry.
My favorite part of the job has always been meeting and talking to different people from all facets of life...that's what keeps my job interesting...and extremely stressful on bad days

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
And, if you live in Oklahoma, Kentucky, or Louisiana, you can now do minor laser surgery.