OD Students, HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidmel45

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all those who understand physics:

Does anyone know what this prescription means?

I've been given them in a case I'm supposed to figure out and I haven't a clue what they mean. I've looked all over and I can't find a resource on how to understand prescriptions for corrective lens.

-2.50 +2.00 x 75 OS
-3.25 +2.75 x60 OD

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

OS = left eye
OD = right eye

The first number of the prescription is the spherical power in diopters.

The second number is the cylindrical power in diopters.

The last number is the axis merdian in degrees.

Both of these two prescriptions are written in "plus cyl" form, meaning that the cylinder power is given as a positive number. Ophthalmologists typically use plus cyl form, while optometrists typically use minus cyl form.

The axis meridian is the meridian with the least power, the power meridian is the meridian 90 degrees away.

I just learned this stuff recently, so anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks soooo much TAL!!!! I had bits and pieces that I couldn't get to fit. Do you know of a book that would be of good reference? I just love how these profs throw info at me and say go!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are welcome, kidmel45. A good reference would be my notes and handouts, but unfortunately you don't have access to those. We don't really use books much, we get binders full of handouts instead. Maybe someone else can suggest a reference, I would imagine any optometric procedures book would contain this info.