~*~*~*~*~* Offical Letters of Evaluation Questions Thread 2022-2023 *~*~*~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I use letters of recommendation that I received this cycle for next cycle? I was going to apply this cycle but my MCAT practice scores are still below 500. I think it’s in my best interest to apply next cycle instead. Can I submit these letters without a change in date next year? They are in interfolio and I won’t have any new experiences for next cycle since I will only be focusing on improving my MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

My pre health advising center has a bunch of us on a waitlist if we missed the January deadline for a committee letter. I went on the waitlist bc one of my profs submitted late :(

I received info that they’re currently unexpectedly delayed. They’re still writing letters for people who submitted on time, and haven’t even gotten to the waitlist yet. So my other option is them sending a letter packet with a cover letter explaining why I didn’t get a committee letter, the delay etc.

My question is when do I say alright I give up, take me off the waitlist and send the letter packet instead? I was thinking mid august? My primary is already verified (June 20th) and I submitted all secondaries (within one week). I still want to wait for a committee letter as long as I can bc I feel like schools in NY really take it seriously. Every secondary I submitted asked about it and to explain why I don’t have one if not.

Also: I already asked if I could be send a letter packet now and still be on the waitlist for a committee letter but they said no with some garbled reason.

Hello!

My pre health advising center has a bunch of us on a waitlist if we missed the January deadline for a committee letter. I went on the waitlist bc one of my profs submitted late :(

I received info that they’re currently unexpectedly delayed. They’re still writing letters for people who submitted on time, and haven’t even gotten to the waitlist yet. So my other option is them sending a letter packet with a cover letter explaining why I didn’t get a committee letter, the delay etc.

My question is when do I say alright I give up, take me off the waitlist and send the letter packet instead? I was thinking mid august? My primary is already verified (June 20th) and I submitted all secondaries (within one week). I still want to wait for a committee letter as long as I can bc I feel like schools in NY really take it seriously. Every secondary I submitted asked about it and to explain why I don’t have one if not.

Also: I already asked if I could be send a letter packet now and still be on the waitlist for a committee letter but they said no with some garbled reason.
How late is it going to be? I would hope they get your letters sent out before school resumes for fall term. How quickly do you think they can turn around a letter packet if they're already running late on committee letters?

That said, most schools know that some committee letters are going to be late. Some want the letters before they consider II's, others only want them after interviews are completed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How late is it going to be? I would hope they get your letters sent out before school resumes for fall term. How quickly do you think they can turn around a letter packet if they're already running late on committee letters?

That said, most schools know that some committee letters are going to be late. Some want the letters before they consider II's, others only want them after interviews are completed.
They said this can take us into September or longer. I know people from last cycle who received theirs in November. They could send a letter packet in a day they said.

Hi, I was recently emailed by a school I am interested in that one of my letters is not dated. They gave me the option of either having the writer email a letter with the correct date directly to the school, or to have them update it via AMCAS.

Would it be worth asking the recommender to update/append it through the AMCAS service? Or is it just better to have them send it directly to the school?

Also, if I do choose to have them email it directly to the school, will other schools contact me if they also need a date on the letter?

Thanks
While it might be faster to send it directly to the school, I'd also encourage sending it to AMCAS in case there are other schools that want the date. Not all schools will email you, but some might.

I noticed that one of my letter writers does not have an email attached to them. Saw it because one secondary app showed blank for their email.

Interfolio said there’s no email in the actual letter and I believe implied there’s even no handwritten/digital signature. Should I email each school I applied to to provide the email contact? I could have sworn I put all emails down correctly in AMCAS

I noticed that one of my letter writers does not have an email attached to them. Saw it because one secondary app showed blank for their email.

Interfolio said there’s no email in the actual letter and I believe implied there’s even no handwritten/digital signature. Should I email each school I applied to to provide the email contact? I could have sworn I put all emails down correctly in AMCAS
Can you check with your letter writer first to confirm?

Can you check with your letter writer first to confirm?
Interfolio misspoke I suppose because they later confirmed there's a signature. Do you think I should still give schools their email if I get permission from my letter writer (I got permission for my app but I guess this is technically a different situation?)

Interfolio misspoke I suppose because they later confirmed there's a signature. Do you think I should still give schools their email if I get permission from my letter writer (I got permission for my app but I guess this is technically a different situation?)
Didn't Interfolio let your schools know they made a mistake?

Didn't Interfolio let your schools know they made a mistake?
I believe I made the mistake in not entering the writer’s email in AMCAS. Interfolio only made a mistake by replying to my support ticket that there wasn’t a signature, and when I pressed further they said there was.

I believe I made the mistake in not entering the writer’s email in AMCAS. Interfolio only made a mistake by replying to my support ticket that there wasn’t a signature, and when I pressed further they said there was.
I'm not sure if you applied DO, but I had a similar issue and my writer uploaded an updated letter to Interfolio. Do I need to reach out to each school or AACOMAS or Interfolio about re-sending it? If anyone else can chime in that would be great, thanks.

I am taking a gap year (June 2024 applicant) and am graduating this semester. While I plan on staying in contact with my teachers of course, I am slightly concerned about professors forgetting who I am in the next year and was wondering if I could ask them to write it now and submit next year.

Is there any way by which professors can write a letter a year in advance and upload those ahead of time? Would I have to ask them to date the letters as some random date between January and May 2024? Thanks!
I have merged your question to a main thread we had this past cycle for LORs.

This is a common question we get, so we have an FAQ. Please see the first post, item 8.

Thank you! I'll definitely use Interfolio then.

Should I ask them to date the letter as 2024 then? I haven't seen that been asked yet.
Having a letter say May 2023 instead of 2024 shouldn’t be an issue. You can have them put Jan 2024 if they’re fine with that idea too.

@chilly_md @Mr.Smile12

I'm in a genetics class right now and I like the professor a lot, but I don't know them super well. I am planning on attending their OH pretty frequently over the next two weeks of class to make an impression and hopefully finish with an A.

Since I will be applying in June 2024, do you think I could do that and then ask for a recommendation letter over the summer, after school ends? I feel like the letter will be stronger that way, but I also don't want to be rude and ask for a future recommendation during the summertime.

• Love
@chilly_md @Mr.Smile12

Since I will be applying in June 2024, do you think I could do that and then ask for a recommendation letter over the summer, after school ends? I feel like the letter will be stronger that way, but I also don't want to be rude and ask for a future recommendation during the summertime.
Yes, ask for the letter after school ends. Do note that faculty may leave and have other plans for the summer breaks (especially the very beginning of it).

Hello,

I have two letters from undergrad. One from my physics professor for whom I was a TA and one from my finance professor. However, in the last two years post-grad, I have met and sustained personal relationships with more mentors that I think wrote better letters for me. I have 7 letters, should I submit the professor letters over the other mentors because that's what schools want, or submit letters that I know would be better because they know my character better?

Hello,

I have two letters from undergrad. One from my physics professor for whom I was a TA and one from my finance professor. However, in the last two years post-grad, I have met and sustained personal relationships with more mentors that I think wrote better letters for me. I have 7 letters, should I submit the professor letters over the other mentors because that's what schools want, or submit letters that I know would be better because they know my character better?
I have moved your question to an existing LOR thread we have for the 22-23 cycle.

Academic letters should come from professors. You may not need the finance one and could substitute it with one from your mentor, depending on what the context is for how they know you. There is little value if it is coming from someone who has just been advising you and would only provide a character letter (as opposed to an employer or PI of the lab you have a project in).

I have moved your question to an existing LOR thread we have for the 22-23 cycle.

Academic letters should come from professors. You may not need the finance one and could substitute it with one from your mentor, depending on what the context is for how they know you. There is little value if it is coming from someone who has just been advising you and would only provide a character letter (as opposed to an employer or PI of the lab you have a project in).

Here’s some context for my other letters:
1) Doctor from a clinic I MA’d in
2) Famous PI doctor in a lab I work in
3) Another Doctor in the lab I work in (have a closer relationship and I think theirs is really good)
4) teacher I worked for during a year of volunteer teaching
5) Guy who I met in undergrad that created a new type of hospital volunteering. I’ve helped him expand the program and have known him for many years now.

Here’s some context for my other letters:
1) Doctor from a clinic I MA’d in
2) Famous PI doctor in a lab I work in
3) Another Doctor in the lab I work in (have a closer relationship and I think theirs is really good)
4) teacher I worked for during a year of volunteer teaching
5) Guy who I met in undergrad that created a new type of hospital volunteering. I’ve helped him expand the program and have known him for many years now.
Where is your 2nd science faculty LOR? Are you going to try using the PI letter for that?

1 and 3 would be fine to use along with the physics letter. You can get an updated letter if you haven’t already.