Office Chair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WisNeuro

Board Certified in Clinical Neuropsychology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of the preferred pen thread, who's got a good recommendation for an office chair? My home office chair just isn't cutting it. Looking for something that accommodates a good sized frame, 6'1". Mild lower back stuff from old sports injuries/surgery. What's everyone using?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My wife and I both like office chairs from Costco. Of course, my wife probably needs intensive treatment for her Costco problem. We also both use adjustable standup desks and I’m pretty sure she bought those from Costco too! Also, I have been doing yoga for the past couple of years and I highly recommend that to counteract the effects of aging. Doing a mix of restorative, gentle yen yoga and some strengthening classes as well. I definitely feel your pain on this one, literally, as I spent my early 20s lifting heavy objects for a living.

Reactions: 1 user
Wife chose to get the Costco special executive chair and it isn't bad, if a bit wobbly. She has an adjustable desk and likes to stand though. I am your height with some back pain issues as well. I found an office supply place and picked up a used Herman Miller Aeron for myself and love it. Great for the long days in front of the computer for VVC/telehealth sessions. I looked at their lower end models as well, but really like the adjustability of the aeron.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a Herman Miller aeron for a killer price in one of those outlet warehouse sales. Very comfortable and worth every penny. Gives me the kind of lower back support I never found in the knock-offs and mass produced ergonomic chairs I cycled through in my 20s

In the spirit of the preferred pen thread, who's got a good recommendation for an office chair? My home office chair just isn't cutting it. Looking for something that accommodates a good sized frame, 6'1". Mild lower back stuff from old sports injuries/surgery. What's everyone using?

If you're willing to spend a decent amount, go with secret lab. Best chair you will ever get in your life. I used to have pretty significant low back pain (probably from doing stupid stuff when I was younger) and that chair + tempurpedic mattress (yes im spoiled) has done wonders.. They were originally designed for gaming but they have several custom designs you can choose that would blend in an office setting. Very high quality, manufactured in the country, good quality parts.

If you're willing to spend a decent amount, go with secret lab. Best chair you will ever get in your life. I used to have pretty significant low back pain (probably from doing stupid stuff when I was younger) and that chair + tempurpedic mattress (yes im spoiled) has done wonders.. They were originally designed for gaming but they have several custom designs you can choose that would blend in an office setting. Very high quality, manufactured in the country, good quality parts.

that price isn't bad at all, about half the cost of the aeron.

Any recs on build options? Don't really care about aesthetics, as this will be in the home office. I have a better chair in my work office, though I may upgrade that one in a couple years as well.

that price isn't bad at all, about half the cost of the aeron.

Its so comfortable because its fully adjustable and very sturdy/well made. You can even increase/decrease lumbar support till you get it just right. It does take probably a few weeks or so to break it in but once you do your back will be happy. Ive had mine for a year and its helped as good as new. They have different kids of upholstery too. Prices used to be a bit cheaper but I think they got fairly popular and ended up raising them.

Any recs on build options? Don't really care about aesthetics, as this will be in the home office. I have a better chair in my work office, though I may upgrade that one in a couple years as well.

Depending on your size, you should consider XL vs regular. Maybe XL for you? Not sure. Im about 5'11 and im in the regular size but you're a bit taller than me. I got the cheaper upholstery because it was easy to clean/lazyness where I could just wipe it. But apparently the fabric one is pretty comfortable. On youtube theres a ton of videos reviewing them, id suggest watching a few

whatever you pay, it's still less expensive than spinal surgery.

Too late, ruptured disc from a sports injury in my 20s. Had great insurance at the time, though, didn't pay a cent for surgery or rehab.

Went with the Titan Evo for the home office. We'll see how that works. If it's great, may get another for the patient office. If not, I'll look into the Aeron.

Too late, ruptured disc from a sports injury in my 20s. Had great insurance at the time, though, didn't pay a cent for surgery or rehab.

Went with the Titan Evo for the home office. We'll see how that works. If it's great, may get another for the patient office. If not, I'll look into the Aeron.

you will love it, just give it some time to break it in.

so true about the cost of the chair being better than back pain for the rest of your life. If there were two items that I would suggest overspending on it would be a bed and an office chairs. Those investments pay dividends..

For anyone shopping the Aeron, the things to be aware of are the different sizes (A,B,C) and, I believe, there is a classic and newer redesign. YouTube has videos on this.

Also, @WisNeuro, update the thread. Curious to know you thoughts on the Titan after you have time to break it in.

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean you don’t use a rocking chair??

Initial impressions of the Titan is that it's a decent improvement over my previous chair in the early going. I'll play with the lumbar settings over the next few weeks and see how that feels.
How is the Titan working for you? Looking into home office chairs since I’ve moved to a hybrid schedule.

Edit: I was looking at the Titan Evo 2022 and Omega (2020)

Last edited:
Redid the office, and got Herman Miller Aeron chairs. They’re the crocs of the office world. Comfortable, but made for incontinent people.

Still have the Eames knock off, but it’s too low for use around people. You end up looking at peoples chest.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Redid the office, and got Herman Miller Aeron chairs. They’re the crocs of the office world. Comfortable, but made for incontinent people.

Still have the Eames knock off, but it’s too low for use around people. You end up looking at peoples chest.

Me: Sips coffee..."What's on SDN?"....reads thread, looks down at Aeron chair I am sitting in, checks to make sure I am still continent... I'm good ;)

I need to grab a couple smaller rolling chairs for my (relatively small) testing office. So not quite to the level of an Aeron or gaming chair. Maybe something more like the Herman Miller Setu (if I decide I want to drop a couple thousand dollars on office chairs): Setu Chair, With Arms – Herman Miller

Anyone have recommendations for something in that realm?

I love the Eames style, but authentic are $7k. Aeron were what I had in the corp world, well worth the price, especially if bought at auction or a liquidation place. I was just looking at an Eames knockoff, deciding if spending ~$2k is worth it.

I need to grab a couple smaller rolling chairs for my (relatively small) testing office. So not quite to the level of an Aeron or gaming chair. Maybe something more like the Herman Miller Setu (if I decide I want to drop a couple thousand dollars on office chairs): Setu Chair, With Arms – Herman Miller

Anyone have recommendations for something in that realm?

I purchased my Aeron from a guy that bought office liquidation stuff. HM Mirra 2 was going for cheap on the secondhand market. Steelcase BODI was decent for the price new, IIRC.

I love the Eames style, but authentic are $7k. Aeron were what I had in the corp world, well worth the price, especially if bought at auction or a liquidation place. I was just looking at an Eames knockoff, deciding if spending ~$2k is worth it.
They sit unreasonably low. The base is waaaay short. It makes you at eye level with someone’s abdomen

The average lifespan of my chairs is somewhere between 18 months and 2 years. I have tried big and tall chairs, Costco chairs, and a whole bunch of other chairs. I don't like the feel of gaming chairs.

My spouse had a Aeron Chair by Herman Miller and it was okay but I didn't love it. On a recommendation from a friend I purchased the Steelcase Gesture. I have had it for 18 months now and no issues so far plus it comes with a great warranty. I did not get the headrest and I think that was the correct decision. I did get the adjustable lumbar and don't think it added anything but it wasn't an expensive option.

Which Eames is $7k? I thought only the lounge chair and ottoman was that much.

Avoid the trap of gamer chairs lol.
Just get a tall, nicely ventilated chair with some sort of lumbar support.
1000000837.png

This is one I got for free for some sponsor thing.

Unless you actually game. Then the chair automatically doubles your MMR

Unless you actually game. Then the chair automatically doubles your MMR
Every time I play Apex, I keep matching with people with expensive gamer chairs so I always derank.

When I lose on tabletop simulator? Gotta be the gamer chair. Couldn't possibly be my error.