? Official: 2003 Acceptances! ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys,

I finally got my Penn acceptance, and a Dean's Scholarship!!!!!! Good luck to everyone else who interviewed!!

:D

Members don't see this ad.

AMAZING!!!

i just received the certified mail from UCLA notifying my acceptance!! This is soooo not expected. I did worst in that interview, i thought i would get rejected right away!!!

I am just speechless......my whole body feels weak...!

yay! my first official acceptance!!
:D :clap:

Hey future dents -

this is my first post here - I just received my envelope of acceptance from UPitt today (yayaya! :clap: ) and called Amy Knowles at NYU...she said : "your envelope is on its way, young lady!", whatever that means...:confused: (good? bad? I dunno, but I just didn't want to pry and ask her for a yes or no answer - I can wait another day or two more). Also, I'm still deciding whether or not to interview at UMDNJ and BU (2 interviews in January). My Pitt acceptance was the best Hanukkah present ever! :clap: :clap: :clap: Good luck to everyone else still waiting on NYU (like anxious me :p) and on other schools, and congrats to those who have received good news! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by erinb03
Hey Guys,

I finally got my Penn acceptance, and a Dean's Scholarship!!!!!! Good luck to everyone else who interviewed!!

:D

Congrats Erin.

Do you mind stating your stats. I bet they were spectacular. You can PM me if you wish. I would appreciate it.

Regards,

DesiDentist

Still crossing my fingers.

Res03,
Don't worry, what Ms. Knowles told you is positive. Congrats on BOTH your acceptances (Pitt and NYU)

Well, first of all I just want to wish everyone good luck during this stressful application process. Well, I just got a call from Mom and Dad and they have received my final acceptance from CWRU. That means that I got accepted at the 5 schools I applied to (CWRU, Penn, Pitt, SUNY-Buffalo, Temple). This might sound dumb, but now I will sorta miss the excitement of checking my mailbox each day after class. Now that means I have until Jan. 15th to decided where to go. If anyone has any advice please PM me or just reply to the post. Once again, I want to wish everyone the best of luck. Tonight the beer is going to flow and flow and flow...

Steve

I got into CWRU, U of Michigan, and Buffalo, any advice on which school to attend would be greatly appreciated. I also got a letter from Marquette stating that my application is still being reviewed, and I was wondering if anybody knows how Marquette treats their out of state applicants? Thanks a bunch

Bill

I also got the same letter from Marquette. I called them this am and they said that it means my file will be reviewed again. And the next batch of acceptance will come out in mid-Jan. So, the soonest that we'll hear from them is mid-Jan, whether accepted or rejected.
I heard that Buffalo is good. Great price for a good education. Good board scores.
Tink

And the clinical eduation at Case is spectacular - what's not to like about having your own chair? Oh wait, the price tag. Oh well, pros and cons to every school, and that is what makes deciding so hard!

Originally posted by ohgee
AMAZING!!!

i just received the certified mail from UCLA notifying my acceptance!! This is soooo not expected. I did worst in that interview, i thought i would get rejected right away!!!

I am just speechless......my whole body feels weak...!

yay! my first official acceptance!!
:D :clap:

Congrats. I'm still waiting to hear from them. Hey, since it was certified mail, did you have to sign for it. Cuz no one is home when the mail comes to my house so I don't know what'll happen to the mail if there's no one to sign it.

Yeah, you have to sign for it...

but i think you can pick it up from post office once you get the slip from the door....

good luck!

Just got the big package from UPENN!!!! sweetness!!! I'm from Toronto, so I thought it would have taken longer. Now I have to decide between Maryland ($25000) vs. UPENN ($41000).

Any advice?

I loved UPENN!!!:clap:

RANMAN,
I think that is a lot of money between the two schools. However, you should go where you felt more comfortable. I think this is very important and will ultimately impact the kind of dentist you are vs whether your loans are paid back in 10 years vs 12 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice.

I can really see myself going to PENN, but Maryland was great too. Tough call

Does anybody have some insight into what it's like to live in either of these cities?

I actually live in DC right now. The city is very fast paced with lots to do. I didn't consider going to school here, but I think it would be a great 4 years for you. You would have your pick of places to study. Lots of really great learning institutions within 30 minutes. Georgetown, GW, AU, Johns Hopikins in Balt., etc. Then there's the downtown area with lots of libraries as well. You could study at the Library of Congress or any number of other places. Could be exciting.

Ranman,
It also depends on where do you want to practice. UPenn is well known school outside of Philly because it's Ivy league as opposed to Maryland (I'm not knocking Maryland) which is a state school. So if you see yourself in say California, going to UPenn will be to your advantage. I mean this in terms of your patient's comfort of your training. Some people like the idea that their dentist went to an Ivy league school and feel that he was trained better than someone who went to state school, eventhough we all know that there is no real difference. But if you see yourself practicing in the DC Metro area going Maryland would be better because most dentists in the area, I assume, went there and patients would be confident in your skills.
Part of anyone's decision factor should be business orientated since someone once said that dentistry is a business once you graduate. You have to think of where you will want to practice once you graduate. Most doctors and dentists stay in the city where they went to school.
Philly could be appealing because of it's location too. You could be in Baltimore, New York and Atlantic City within two hours. You could hop on a bus to New York for a weekend. DC is better is you want to stay in DC. As acrunner said, there is a lot of things to do in DC, culturally and socially. You are within 3 hours of Philly, Baltimore and Richmond.
Tough decision.

You could study at the Library of Congress or any number of other places. Could be exciting.

acrunner,

Not my idea of painting the town red, but if it works for you!

Matt

WOW Ohgee
congrats... now u can relax and have the bext X-mass ever... i'm still waiting to hear from them!!! i'm soooo woried.

This past week i recieved waiting list letters from all of the schools i interviewed. I was down to one school to hear from. Today, i found out i was accepted at WVU. After several times applying i am finally getting my dream. Good luck to everyone else.

I got into UPENN today! I also got waitlisted at Marquette.

YAY! Got my Penn acceptance today, along with the dean's scholarship! :)
Plus UTHouston, UTSan Antonio.

Decisions, decisions....

~Qoo

I got my Pitt, WVU, and UPenn (w/scholarship) acceptances yesterday. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted, and good luck to everyone else.

-Cheers,

Dannybighead

Hey everybody

I got the BIG package from PENN as well. My parents opened my mail and they were happy that I got into one of the most prestigious schools in the country. PENN sure makes you feel good by sending you the "works" unlike other schools that send an acceptance in an ordinary envelope. I know all you people who've gotten the package felt the same way. I'm very grateful. Last night I was just looking in my file papers that I got at the PENN interview and I found the stats for the last years class and I was beginning to worry.

I know that other people can attest to my observations of PENN. You are made to feel special there.

Thank God!!

DesiDentist

PS: RSXer...I hope you got a big package too...let us know!!!

big ups to pumpkins90 - I'm sure that it was nerve racking getting those waiting list letters. I bet it was really good to hear that you're able to head off in the sunset next fall at WVU. I'm sure those other schools that wait listed you will be knocking on your door any day now.

way to go, pumpkins90!

"it is never too late to become what you might have been."
- george eliot

Ranman,

I completely disagree with what Pasha posted in regards to Penn and Maryland. Where you go to school has *very little* to do these days with where you practice. Further, going to Penn is NOT going to give your patients any greater comfort, or make them feel any better about your education or skills.

Go where you feel you ought to go. Certainly, tuition should be a factor which you should look at, especially when you are talking about $64,000 difference over the course of the next four years.

Don't focus too much on education or prestige -- those items don't really exist much in the current dental educational model. A top-notch education can be had at every accredited dental school, and patients don't care where you graduated from, they care what your prices are, how quick you are, and whether or not you have a smile on your face. Don't fall into the pre-dent trap of "big-name" or "ivy" = best. In our modern times that is a false notion.

Having said that, don't discount Penn, but make your choice based on personal values which you hold.

I wish I were as lucky as you: you will be attending a fine school next year, whichever you choose! :D

I really appreciate the advice. It's a tough call. I know the best way to determine where to go to school is to judge which one you feel the most comfortable. Not prestige and ranking, but it just so happens that I really liked UPENN.

It has an excellent program, amazing surroundings (gorgeous campus), walking distance from residence, great opportunity to specialize if I decide to do so. It does seem pretty competitive and some of the third and fourth years I spoke seemed to be having an ok time, but I had the chance to visit a first year student at the dental house and she told me she's having a great time and there is a strong camradrie among her classmates.

University of Maryland had similiar advantages and does not have the hefty price tag. My heart says UPENN, but my rationale says UMB b/c of $$$$.

I think I'm leaning towards UPENN....

Ranman, 'ol buddy!!

Congrats on PENN. Your instincts are right. PENN is a great school. I've done my research and I definately confident in this program no matter what other say.

I spent half a month in philly. I interviewed there at Temple and PENN. I was all gung ho about Temple for a long time. I loved the program, and I still do. However, while working with a 4th year student I was asked questions about where else I applied or interviewed. I told him that I interviewed at PENN as well. His jaw almost dropped and it seemed he would need some oral surgery done on him.

He took me aside and told me:"If you get into PENN go to PENN." I was confused and I asked him "why?" he said that they will treat you right. I took it in with an open mind.

Later, during our lunch break a couple of other 4th year students joined us and a 5th year student. It was funny cuz I brought up why he was another 5th year? He said that he couldn't graduate since a couple of patients had screwed him over and not paid their bills which he had to pay. He didn't have the money and he lost all his credit on his procedures since at Temple if a patient doesn't pay you lose your procedure credit, as he told me.

Another one of the kids asked me how I liked Temple. I was all enthusiastic. He asked me where else I applied and I said I just interviewed at PENN a couple of days ago. His eyes lit up and he literally slammed his fists on the table and yelled "Damn it!!" I was so confused.

He calmed down and said that the biggest mistake in his life was not to go to PENN. I was like why? The name? he said you get treated like a human there and they have the scores to prove their success. He was very upset about the program he was partaking in. He went on and talked about his friend who went to college with him and decided to go to PENN. He said, "He seems very happy there and doesn't regret his decision like I do." I was dumbfounded. He continued about board scores and stated that his friend got a 93% on his part I boards, while he got a 82%. He was upset that he used to be the smart one in college. He agreed that PENN prepared his friend really well.

I was concerned regarding clinics. He went on and said that Temple is a great clinical school, but so is every accredited school. "If you are willing to spend the time, you will get patients." It may not be overflowing like Temple but patients will come.

For this reason, I was shocked that 4 people that day told me to go to PENN. Was this a conspiracy? I had 6 days remaining in philly and I examined PENN. Everyday I was there observing. I talked to a few dentists and they were very amicable. I loved the kindness vibe i got.

Regarding money. PENN is expensive. But unlike other schools they are gonna pay your entire interest for your unsubsidized loans FOR ALL FOUR YEARS THERE. Think about that, if you go to school that is 33,000 a year with an interest on you loans totaling 3-5% quarterly then you are paying almost if not more than the 42,000 for PENN.

For you it maybe different since you are from Canada. I would look into this.

I laud you for highly regarding PENN. I do as well. I agree with your instincts and judgments. Remember your heart does not lie.

DesiDentist

Originally posted by Ranman
Thanks for the advice.

I can really see myself going to PENN, but Maryland was great too. Tough call

Does anybody have some insight into what it's like to live in either of these cities?

Well, I haven't gotten anything from UPENN yet :( , but IF I do get that thick letter everyone's talking about, I too will have to decide between UPENN and Maryland.

I'm from DC too, and you've heard from others about the attractions of Wash DC. It's a reat city and I've been here all my life (went to school @ GW). Lots to do...whatever yoiur interest..............but Univ of Maryland is in Baltimore!!!

Baltimore, for me, is a whole different story. As you know from your interview there, its not the greatest city...but it used to be ALOT worse. The Inner Harbor area is very touristy and active when 15 yrs. ago it was not that great. As for the rest of the city, however, don't expect the diversity, breadth of activities, nor the plethora of yummy restaurants as you would in Washington DC. I just wanted to make that lcear since others were sort of talkng alot about Wash DC....but Maryland is about an hour north of DC.

As for UPENN, I don't have a lot of experienvce in Philly, but it sort of reminds me of the DC experience...from the little time I've spent in Philly. The people are so diverse (mostly because there are so many universities there), and the native Philadelphinas are quite nice...judging from my own experiences. I felt a similar sense of comfort and belonging in Philly as I do in Wash DC. So, UPENN and Temple (another school I haven't heard from :( :( ) are sort of up there on my list.

Ranman, let me know how you decide...as I maybe in the same boat <crossing fingers> as you. Thanx and good luck!!

Originally posted by DesiDentist
PS: RSXer...I hope you got a big package too...let us know!!!

:( :( not yet :( :(

Well, my fears are coming to life. UPENN was my first interview and I was a bit more nervouus (and not as articulate as I should've been) compared to my other interviews. I think thats biting me in the butt right now....since I haven't received anthing yet.

What do you think I should do? Call Corky? I'm not one to constantly call/email these admissions officers, but I feel like I need to. You think its to early to call/email her?

PS....Even though I don't feel too good right now.....Congrats Desi on PENN!! :clap: :clap: After meeting ya at the interview, I can see that they made a great decision in accepting you!

Don't fret Rsxer and give it another day or two. Whatever happens just remember everything happens for a reason. Best of luck and I thank you for the insight.

RSXer, I'm sorry to hear you haven't heard anything yet.

However, I heard on the news today that the eastcoast is having a bad time due to the snow. Mail deliveries were delayed. That maybe the case.

Remember PENN wouldn't interview you unless they really wanted you. I'll keep my fingers Xed for you.

Good luck,

DesiDentist

Desi,

Just checked out your website. I loved the tunes!!!

See ya at PENN!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by Ranman
Desi,

Just checked out your website. I loved the tunes!!!

See ya at PENN!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks, Ranman...i have some major updating to do. Hopefully I will find out where I am going (waiting for UW) so I can set up the theme for the site.

DesiDentist

I got an acceptance from Marquette. The funny thing is that I never turned in the supplementary app and the $45 fee because I decided not to apply there afterwards.
I also got a missed certified letter note. I'm pretty sure its from UCLA. I'm gonna pick up the letter tomorrow. I hope I got in.

My application was put on hold at Marquette and I got a rejection from Harvard.....:p . BIG surprise!! :D

agutier,

did you interview at harvard??
i never heard anything from them after sending in the money, so for sure i'll be getting a rejection. it's just a matter of time for me...

~Qoo

Just got accepted at Columbia!!! Man, just when I thought for sure I'd end up at UPENN. Now I really have a tough decision to make. What do guys think...UPENN vs. Columbia?

UCSF!:eek:

Accepted! :)

Yay! :p

~r2 :D

got into UCLA.

GavinC,
I don't want to be misinterpreted. I wasn't saying that where you go to school affects your education and the prestige but I was saying that it does affect (at least I believe it does) your patients perception. I draw my belief from the experiences of other professions. People want the best lawyer possible and their belief is that going to the Ivy's will prepare the best when the law is really universal. The law doesn't change wherever you go to school, it's the same whether you go to Harvard or Cardozo. Med school is the same, the body and it's ailments are the same. Symptoms don't change, but why are people a little hesitant to go to the islands for med school. This can get a little long, but my point is that at least here in NY when I open the yellow pages I only see the dentists who went to the BIG name schools really advertise that they went there. I see one practice saying that they only hire the best, educated at: Harvard, Columbia, UPenn and UCLA. They include it because I believe they think they are catering to the publics perception.
I do agree with everything you said, I just think that the publics idea of Big name schools should have a minor part, especially if you practice away from where you were educated. But I do agree with everything you said.

Ranman,
One other thing you can use in your decision, something I would do, is seeing who your classmates are. You're fortunate enough to have a couple of your future classmates on this board if you choose to go to UPenn. You will be spending the next four years studying and socializing with these people so use that as a factor.

Good Luck

PashaJ, believe whatever you want about the Ivy's. You're right, attending Harvard vs Cardozo law will make a difference when the big firms step out to hire. Or attending a more name-brand med school might make a difference in residency placement which is important since a residency is required in medicine. At least from what I read on the pre-med boards here it the name seems to matter somewhat.

But GavinC has done his research and is also right. For dental school, which school you attended doesn't matter. You say you live in NYC. I've lived near NYC for many years and now I live on the other side of New York state, 8 hours from NYC. And I've noticed it's very regional - people near NYC care a lot more about "reputation, prestige, Ivy" etc. The insanity starts in high school with "which college are you going to" being a HUGE deal and apparently continues through professional school by the advertisement you mentioned. Up here in Buffalo, no one cares AT ALL where you go to college and where you went to dental school, they just want you to take care of their teeth. And I'd imagine in Utah, where GavinC is from, it's a similar story. The northeast is very preoccupied with the whole Ivy/prestige business - the rest of the country doesn't care.

My roommate went to Dartmouth. She said outside the northeast, many people had never heard of Dartmouth. The people who will be your patients in California confuse UPenn with Penn State - to them, they have no idea what the difference is so they won't care which dental school you attended - UPenn or Pittsburg/Temple.

Believe me, unless your patient is prestige-conscious, they won't think twice to question where you went to dental school when they need a root canal or bring their kids for braces.

I think the only people who care about Ivy league schools are those who attended them. I have to admit, I didn't know UPENN was Ivy league until after I applied. Before I applied I said things like, "I'll pay whatever it takes to be a dentist" and "I don't care which school I get into as long as I get in". After having been accepted it comes down to this... how much is it gonna cost. Two years out of dental school we will all be very close when it comes to dental ability.

I just found out this last year that my family dentist graduated from U of Detroit. I just didn't care to ask. I have no idea where my Orthodontist got his degree, and I could care less. All I know is that my teeth were once crooked and now they are staight. Getting into an Ivy league school does make you feel good, but as far as being a better dentist...I don't think so. People say it makes a difference because Ivy League schools do better on boards. Well, they should. They choose only the best applicants and cost twice as much. If UPENNs entering class transferred to Meharry, then Meharry's board scores would probably double.

The only people who care what school you go to are your parents and your girlfriend's parents. Everyone else just wants their teeth cleaned.

Speaking of Ivy League....just got my UPenn acceptance today :clap:

Griffin,
Yeah, you're right. I didn't think of the regional influence but I think you're right. I'm not going to analyse why because everyone will have their own idea and this thread will spin off into something different than what it was intended. Actually, I'll just say this theory of mine maybe exclusive NYC.
Other than that, everything else is correct. I do agree with everything said, make sure everyone knows those were not my ideals...just my idea of the NYer's perception. I just want to go to dental school for now. NYU, if I can, cause I have lived here all of my life and that's where I went undergrad and I had a great time.

just got accepted from creighton university, on hold for marquette.
so far, i can't decide on NYU or Creighton. i know money is the main concern of mine, but it's always been a dream of mine to be in new york. what do you guys think? there has been the discussion of paying off loans and the difference between the schools is roughly >$100K!
a friend of mine who has been practicing for two years says that she regrets going to a private institution because she had to pay a grip for tuition (USC). i would love your inputs! thanks =)

:confused:

Go to Creighton for dental school.

Go to NYC for your residency, because remember, if you do a GPR or AEGD - they'll pay you for the year. Although it's barely enough to make ends meet (NYC is expensive!!!), at least you won't accrue anymore debt and get to be in NYC at the same time. And there are tons of residency programs in NYC so I wouldn't be very concerned about going there after dental school.

Or you can work in NYC after you do a residency. New York just started the new law where if you do ANY ADA accredited AEGD/GPR in ANY state after dental school, you can come to NY and get a license here.

So if money is a concern for you, go to Creighton. $100,000 is a lot of money to pay off as a starting dentist. Dental school is hard enough without having to worry about money at the same time. NYC will be there for you when you have a DDS.

Good luck.

My thoughts exactly. If things work out, I probably will go to a Canadian school as it will be considerably cheaper for me compared to even a state dental school. ;) Good luck with your decision.

AE

Griffin,
How did you hear about the new law? Any other states offer this?

It is a new law called PGY-1 and is only in New York so far. It's been a big deal in ASDA for the last two years. The NERB is really an evil exam and this is a nice alternative to it. However, if you want to practice in PA or NJ let's say, you still have to take the NERB.

Here is the info straight from the New York State Dental Association (NYSDA) website - www.nysdental.org

New Licensure Law: Frequently Asked Questions
August 5, 2002
If I am in a residency program now which will be completed in 2003, do I have to take the NERB for licensure in New York State?
No, as long as the residency meets the requirements of the law._The new law was intended to provide dentists the option of using the residency as a substitute for the NERB in the fulfillment of the Part III requirement. Although the law does not go into effect until January 1, 2003, it does not require that the residency program must be taken after the effective date._ It only requires that the program?s formal outcome assessment evaluation be acceptable to the State Education Department._ If the State Education Department requires something more than the requirements of the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) or the Joint Commission on Hospital Accreditation, a residency program should be able to incorporate these changes prior to the end of the residency program.__The Legislature, the Governor and NYSDA are urging the State Education Department_to rely on the mechanisms already in place by the national dental accrediting institutions._____
_
If I fail (or have failed) the NERB, but complete a residency, will I qualify for licensure under New York State?s new law?
Yes, as long as the residency program meets the requirements of the law._ The law states that a dentist may be licensed by satisfying either option for licensure ? not both._ As we all are well aware, dentists may fail the NERB for many reasons beyond their control._ The law expressly recognizes_the merit in evaluating a dentist?s competency over a period of time as opposed to the one-shot clinical exam._ There is nothing in the law_suggesting that if you pursue one of the options and fail, the other option becomes unavailable.__

If I have already completed a residency will I qualify for licensure under the new law?
Yes, if the residency program meets the requirements of the law._ The issue is whether the State Education Department will require more than the completed residency program entailed._ If the State Education Department accepts the CODA requirements without any changes, you should be able to apply in January for your license based on your satisfactory completion of the program._
------------------------------------------------------------------------
More about the law...
The NYSDA-supported ?PGY 1? legislation, which will allow dentists to satisfactorily complete an accredited postgraduate dental residency program of at least one year as an alternative to the Part III clinical examination requirement (?NERB?), passed the New York State Legislature and was signed into law by Governor Pataki on July 25, 2002._The law takes effect on January 1, 2003._In doing so, New York became the first state to allow an accredited postgraduate dental residency to satisfy the licensure requirements as an alternative to the clinical examination._

The law, Chapter 143 of the laws of 2002, provides that a dentist may fulfill the Part III clinical examination requirements by the:
_
?satisfactory completion of a postdoctoral dental residency program, of at least one year?s duration, in a hospital or dental facility accredited for teaching purposes by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association, provided, further, that any such residency program shall include a formal outcome assessment evaluation of the resident?s competence to practice dentistry acceptable to the department...?___
_
The law also provides that anyone meeting this requirement ?shall not be required to take any additional clinical licensing examination.?
_
The Sponsors? Memorandum in support of the legislation states: ?The extensive and intensive supervised practical skills training, as well as the additional academic instruction of a postdoctoral dental residency program, more than suffices to establish competency for purposes of licensure... The bill acknowledges the benefits of measuring dental competency over a period of time as opposed to the current one-day clinical examination.?
_
The law provides that the residency?s formal outcome assessment evaluation must be acceptable to the State Education Department, but the Sponsors? Memorandum makes clear that the department may rely on the ADA?s Council on Dental Accreditation and the Joint Commission on Hospital Accreditation?s established mechanisms to evaluate dental residency programs and resident?s competency._ NYSDA is actively engaged in discussions with the State Education Department urging it to accept these accredited programs and not to establish any additional criteria of dental residency programs._