***Official 2006 Step 1 Results Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AwesomeO-DO

robot voice]I am AwesomeO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may not be the first to take Step one in 2006, but I gotta be close, so I declare the 2006 Step 1 forum OPEN. It may lay dormant for some time, but some day the class of 2008 will thank me for getting things ready for them. Don't worry, I set the bar pretty low. How low you ask? well.... less than 240 and more than 182. All I care is that I don't have to take that damn test again. They say then next few are easier. We'll see........

Members don't see this ad.

Robbins Q-book: 80-90% on all chapters
Kaplan Q Bank: 1 time through, got a 84%
NBME 1: 800
NBME 2: 800
NBME 3: 720 (thought this was the hardest one)
NBME 4: 800
Step 1: 268/99

I agree that it's most important to learn things well the first time. It makes studying for boards much easier. I had 9 weeks, but it is because we use PBL and don't cover a lot of the basic sciences in the curriculum. Luckily I was a biochem major. I used First Aid, and only went through the majority of it once. However, I looked at it the first two years when we were covering certain topics. BRS phys was useful too, and I went through it 2 times for board review, but had looked at it during the corresponding subunits in the first two years. BRS path was really good, but I had read most of Robbins first. I tried to go through BRS path a couple of times. If you know it solid, you know enough to ace the path. Robbins Q-book is really good for this too. For Pharm I used First Aid and Kaplan. Kaplan is pretty solid, but it's too much to memorize. I would say go through it and get exposed, but don't expect to remember it all. Just hope the question will jog something in your memory. For biochem I used HY biochem, and I used HY cell and molec. Those were pretty useful, but I thought Kaplan Biochem was really solid too. I also listened to Goljan every day in the car on the way to school for 3 months. I just kept going through them over and over. I thought he was indespensible. I recommend listening to those lectures as much as you can in any down time you have during second year.

what is the highest board score anyone from sdn has gotten? is it still bigfrank (and what was it)?

dara678 said:
what is the highest board score anyone from sdn has gotten? is it still bigfrank (and what was it)?

I think it might be nrosigh with a 273

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever...I failed Step 1.

Retake on August 31st...any tips on retaking the exam, then send me a PM

I found out my score today, I got a 218. It was a lot better than what I had expected.

In the past I've scored 1490 on SAT and 34 on MCAT. I had a 3.74 GPA at an Ivy League school.

I was a horrible, horrible med student. I barely passed med 1 and med 2 with about the lowest grades in my class. Many things I didn't even learn properly the first time around like anatomy (which I still don't know that well), GI, renal, reproduction.

For the boards, I took about 6 weeks to study, of which 2 were spent in class, so I was only studying in the evenings. I read through First Aid and Step Up cover to cover one time. I read High Yield Internal Medicine cover to cover. I read 2/3 of BRS Physiology. I read about 1/4 of USMLE Step 1 Secrets. I also read bits and pieces here and there from High Yield books, Black's dictionary, etc. I listened to 75% of Dr. Goljan's lectures, mostly in my car or while I was eating. I did abour 45% of Q-Bank, with overall atrocious scores around 40-50%, but around 60% on the last few before I took the test.

And during Med 2 I didn't study much for the boards except to read the relevant sections in First Aid of what we were doing in class, since I had bought the book a year ago.

Llenroc said:
I found out my score today, I got a 218. It was a lot better than what I had expected... ...since I had bought the book a year ago.

Thanks to Llenroc. Would be good to hear study schedules from others like this as well. Some students want a 270, but some want to pass, and there are many in between'ers, the latter of which I am pursuing.

Took my exam on July 6 and got my scores today: 236/95. It's not 260, but it's a ass-load better than I thought I had done and a bit better than my "goal" of 230. I'm very happy.

Studying for me was a nightmare. I gave myself a solid 6 weeks (and really I puttered around the material for at least 8 weeks) - too much time, which was a big mistake. With more than 3 weeks to go before my exam I was totally burned out. My first NBME (#1) was 216, which was lower than I wanted but better than I deserved. I spent the next two weeks "treading water" - reviewing a lot of material but feeling that I had not really learned any of it. It felt like it was falling out of my head as soon as I had poured it in. With four days to go (after two and a half weeks of a lot of studying) I took NBME #3 and got a 224 - ONLY 8 #$%$#ing points better than my first one two weeks prior. In many MANY sections I actually did A LOT worse than my first attempt (and in some I did way better).

At this point I'd convinced myself that in all the sections I had improved, it was a fluke, and all the worse sections were a true reflection of my knowledge. Although I tried to study the final four days or so, I got virtually nothing done. I felt lousy and was convinced I would not score even as high as my first NBME.

The actual test felt awfull. I thought the first block went fine. But each block seemed to get harder and harder. I finshed each of the first 6 blocks with at least 15 minutes left. For some reason, however, I ran out of time on my last block. I walked away feeling I had failed it - badly. It was the worst experience of my life.

Given all the foregoing, I'm very very very very very very happy with the score I got.

I think . . . It's going to be all right after all.

Judd

Congrats on the score Juddson...I've still got 4 weeks left until I fight the beast so it's good to hear that some people think 6 weeks is too much time. Right now I've burned out for the day and my season 1 of house is calling...perhaps I'll learn something. Again..must feel good to have it over!

To the above posters, and the rest of the lurkers/readers. Understand that the human mind can only take so much time cramming and reviewing for such a large test. For me, I knew ahead of time that 3-4 weeks of hard core studying was all that I could handle. And if I were to spend more time, I would start to lose the important concepts/details. So I scheduled the test 3.5 weeks from the last M2 class final.

Sure enough, I was starting to begin to feel the burnout about a couple days before the test.

It's not a learning "curve," but a learning "bell-curve," wherein you start to jumble up and confuse the information after a while.

Jack P said:
Right now I've burned out for the day and my season 1 of house is calling...

I can't begin to tell you how much I learned from House. It's actually pretty scary.

Members don't see this ad :)
HunterGatherer said:
I hope you're kidding? Everyone keeps telling me to watch that show.

I hope he is too. Although that show does present some realistic pathology, the operation of the hospital and behavior of the attendings and residents is far from reality.

OSUdoc08 said:
I hope he is too. Although that show does present some realistic pathology, the operation of the hospital and behavior of the attendings and residents is far from reality.

In the show the medicine is dead on; everything else is drama.

kito said:
In the show the medicine is dead on; everything else is drama.

Are you kidding me?

"We need to rule out alzheimers too, so send those labs"

...later in the show...

*looking at a sheet of paper* "Well its not alzheimers"

Or the TTP episode...it took them the whole show to do a damn CBC and see that her platelets were low.

the wilson's disease episode was great though...

juddson said:
Took my exam on July 6 and got my scores today: 236/95. It's not 260, but it's a ass-load better than I thought I had done and a bit better than my "goal" of 230. I'm very happy.

judd, I didn't know you were taking it 'round this time too. strong work.

ndspider said:
My goal was a 230.....
Darint!
NBME:1 480
NBME:4 490
STEP 1 229!!!!!

I am pissed cause I have a feeling that 230 is a cut-off number at alot of programs and I missed it by a few questions!!!1
.spider

Spidey that's a good score, don't worry about the one point. I don't think one point is going to keep you out of anywhere.

(nicedream) said:
Spidey that's a good score, don't worry about the one point. I don't think one point is going to keep you out of anywhere.

Werid how I still feel "gray".
Not happy, but not sad.

velo said:
Are you kidding me?

"We need to rule out alzheimers too, so send those labs"

...later in the show...

*looking at a sheet of paper* "Well its not alzheimers"

Or the TTP episode...it took them the whole show to do a damn CBC and see that her platelets were low.

the wilson's disease episode was great though...

Yeah, no kidding. LOL.

Learning medicine from a show = playing with fire.

Better not to watch it so you don't confuse yourself between real medicine and TV medicine. :scared:

OSUdoc08 said:
i dont think they mean the way the docs work, but rather, the stuff they talk about. those are real diseases and real presentations. real labs used to rule out real differentials diagnoses. it certainly cemented the pathology of nagleria fowleri in my head. its a great show.

exmike said:
it certainly cemented the pathology of nagleria fowleri in my head.

ha, and oh how important that is. Its ridiculously rare and almost universally fatal...

Greetings to all my fellow average med students! I'm here to reinforce the happy truth that a normal student can do just fine on Step 1.

Kaplan diagnostic test (paper, 150Q), 2.5 months before: 45%
NBME comp basic sci exam, 2 months before USMLE: 67% (192)
NBME #1, 4 weeks before: 420 (198)
NBME #2, 3 weeks before: 420
NBME #3, 2 weeks before: 430 (201)
NBME #4, 10 days before: 430
Prometric practice test, 1 week before: 74%
Step 1: 224 :D
I'm very happy with this score.

I was an average student in MS1/2, failed a few exams, often scored below the mean. I studied for 4.5 weeks after the end of classes, plus some prep/reviewing through second year as we covered material in class. I started Qbank early in the year with course work, then did blocks of 50-100Q each day starting 7 weeks before Step 1 until I finished the whole thing. I did use First Aid and Goljan. I also did hundreds of questions off WebPath.

For me, this was a fine study plan and worked out very well. I was glad to have the extra study time (I postponed for a week from my original date). I have no regrets. The best study advice I can give is to follow whatever seems right for you, and not stress if someone else has other ideas or plans. I would strongly recommend the NBME exams, although do your best to find explanations online so you don't spend hours trying to work them out on your own. Finally, having friendly support from other med students is really great, because this process can be very frustrating and demoralizing.

Here're my numbers:

MCAT 35
NBME Basic Sciences Shelf (8 weeks before): 180
NBME 1 (2 weeks before): 228
NBME 2 (1 week before): 236
Qbank: 100% completed, 66% overall average (76% average on the last 300)
USMLE (6/22): 244

Very happy, obviously. Admittedly, I wasn't going to post my numbers unless I did well. That's SDN for ya :)

I studied for six weeks, 10-14 hours a day, just about every day. FA four times, BRS Path three, BRS Phys two, Goljan audio, all of WebPath and Robbins Path Q book, and miscellaneous other books once each. I read HY Cell Bio twice but didn't feel like I got much from it. I used the Kaplan books for reference once or twice, but that's it.

My test seemed to have an even spread of topics (not heavy on cell bio, for example). A few off-the-wall questions, as always, but plenty of straightforward ones as well. I walked out pretty confident that I'd passed, but not sure how well I'd done beyond that.

For the curious, here's where you can check the percentile (since the two-digit score is not a percentile):

http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~naras/jsm/FindProbability.html

Second applet. Probability tells you what percentile (for example, put in .75 and it'll tell you what score is at the 75th percentile), Mean is 217, and Std. Dev. is 23.

NBME Form 3: 410/195 - pre studying
NBME Form 1: 560/232 - 5 weeks before
NBME Form 4: 580/236 - 3 weeks before
NBME Form 2: 670/252 - 8 days prior
NBME Form 3: 680/253 - 5 days prior - decided to take it again to compare

Actual: 258/99

NBMEs underpredicted slightly. Needless to say I am very happy.

I've read plenty of these posts over the years and feel like it's only fair to post my results.

PreStudy NBME 1: 410 (195)
Kaplan (timed, random w/o repeats) 66% with only 40% completed
(although I think this # is a little low as I did a fair amount of Kaplan as prestudying which resulted in crap scores)
Released items 3 weeks to test: 83%
USMLE Step 1: 226/92

Focused almost entirely on FA with some help from "USMLE Secrets: the questions you will be asked" which I found quite helpful and an easy read. Plenty of other books were used but mostly just to explain FA's sometimes cryptic facts. If I had to do it all over again, I'd focus more on finishing Kaplan and then repeating all the questions I got wrong. Hope this helps!

AllopathicAnon said:
If I had to do it all over again, I'd focus more on finishing Kaplan and then repeating all the questions I got wrong. Hope this helps!

This is an interesting point. If I had it to do all over again, I would listen to Goljan three more times and review his Rapid Review Books over and over again.

I'm so impressed with Goljan that I'm hoping that there is a step 2 audio floating around out there (does anybody know?)

Judd

juddson said:
This is an interesting point. If I had it to do all over again, I would listen to Goljan three more times and review his Rapid Review Books over and over again.

I'm so impressed with Goljan that I'm hoping that there is a step 2 audio floating around out there (does anybody know?)

Judd

I didnt go through the notes, but the audios were indispensible.

juddson said:

Judd

As far as step 2 goes, here is the anecdotal advice I have been given:
Step 1 = 2 months
Step 2 = 2 weeks
Step 3 = 2 pencils

Your knowledge will begin to crystallize. You'll be fine.

Wow I just got the scores in the mail. They are the same as what my school told me (thankfully).

The scores are printed on some incredibly, cheap, cheap, ****ty paper. There's ink smeared all over one side. There are little tabs that you are supposed to rip, but part of the letter is written over the tabs.

Oh well, in the files it goes.

Llenroc said:
The scores are printed on some incredibly, cheap, cheap, ****ty paper. There's ink smeared all over one side. There are little tabs that you are supposed to rip, but part of the letter is written over the tabs.

Meaning what? That the score report isn't quite frame-able?

Pegsie said:
Meaning what? That the score report isn't quite frame-able?

It's embarrasing to even show to a future employer as proof of your score. It looks like a cheap forgery made by a ******ed high school kid from Texas.

So I got my score today! I passed :) ( yeah I was worried) I got a 209/85 I believe? I had my mom an d sister open them because I couldn't wait.
I know it's not the most competitive score but I'm just thrilled I made it through. It makes waiting for my COMLEX score a little easier( they aren't getting released until September or October!!!! and I took it several days before my USMLE!)

jmarra03 said:
So I got my score today! I passed :) ( yeah I was worried) I got a 209/85 I believe? I had my mom an d sister open them because I couldn't wait.
I know it's not the most competitive score but I'm just thrilled I made it through. It makes waiting for my COMLEX score a little easier( they aren't getting released until September or October!!!! and I took it several days before my USMLE!)
Considering that the bulk of your traing has been for the Comlex and not the USMLE, I think you've done very well. Congrats!

IV Qbank (100% completed): 73%
Qbank (80% completed): 73%
Qbank practice exam: 73%
NBME1 1 week before exam: 240
USMLE Step 1 on 06/30/06: 252/99

I started IV Qbank 4 months before my test date. I did 50 Q's per day for 3 months and then 100 Q's per day the last 6 weeks. I read every explanation and wrote everything I didn't already know in the margins of First Aid (tip: use small fonts and vary the colors). I used First Aid and lecture notes to study for my school's comprehensive exam on May 19th.

Personally, I appreciated IV Qbank. It walks you through the most common material and presents you with the various types of questions that you can expect to see regarding that material. Qbank is necessary too, but you'll have a great headstart if you do IV Qbank first.

I then had 6 weeks before the USMLE and I read BRS Path and Physio also writing everything not already in First Aid in the margins. I read Microbio Made Ridiculously Simple (great book) and Lippincott's Biochem thoroughly. I skimmed HY Neuro, Biochem, Behavioral Sciences, and Embryology. I didn't find the High Yields to be necessary. It's hard to say how many times I read First Aid. Covering things up and reciting the material from memory is the technique I used. I spent the day before the exam skimming through the hard to remember stuff in First Aid.

I also had a few group-study sessions with friends. These were great to ward off the loneliness of studying for 10+ hours everyday for 6 weeks straight. I even took 2 or 3 days off to just be with friends and family.

WRT IV qbank, most on here dog it b'c they try to do it after completing qbank. I totally agree that it would be great for those wanting to start their studying early and save qbank for the last few wks.

On different note...... here's yet another <10 poster on to show off a 240+ score :rolleyes: Where are you guys the rest of the time?.... studying instead of goofing off on the net?
One Time Thing said:
IV Qbank (100% completed): 73%

I started IV Qbank 4 months before my test date.
Personally, I appreciated IV Qbank.

Posting for the first time because this forum really helped me do the right things, get organized and most importantly chill out for the whole shabang.
Thank you all for being caring people and providing hindsight for us lost sheep. (We are in medicine and we "help people" so please please lets stop being so damn competitive).

Here, the usual stats:

SAT 1520
MCAT 37
Qbank: did 10% only
NBMEs: didnt take any NBMEs or any other diagnostic or sample questions
Step 1 252/99
= it was goljan who got this score, not me. We should all get a fund together and either build a monument to him or start a retirement fund. Its not necessarily the info that he gave out, but how much he CARED about us and his teaching, reflected in his presentation so that it made it all easier to remember all the stuff that he taught. However, I saw less than five(5) out of 350 exact Goljan questions on my exam.

Most probably I am a lucky bastard, but....

My advice for those who will take in the future is READ rather than answer questions. Its easier to remember the full story...med school is easier that way, and it will make you really fall in love with medicine, so that instead of reading 10x, you can read a couple. Maybe this makes no sense, but I gambled.

Every USMLE question on my exam was from my 2 years of studying in med school. By this I do not mean following only the med school syllabus. I mean READING: Guyton for Physio, chung for anatomy, an Embryo textbook, Kirszchinbaum histo/cell bio, memorizing baby Robbins(+BRS path+Goljan), Janeway immuno, incredible micro/immuno med school syllabus, and select chapters of Goodman/Gilman pharm. The 6 weeks that I studied obviously contributed as well, but insignificant to the 2 yrs of med school. Maybe the best thing is reading all of Harrisons, but Im not nasty enough to reach that kind of level.

Studied for 6 hours a day for 6 weeks with lots of breaks. Zero studying for 7 days before test. Had the classic freakout session a week before the test...so don't be surprised when you get that.

F*** FA! did NOT read FA fully ever. Just biochem and micro and behav sci once in April.
F*** Qbank! - did only 10% of Qbank then said screw it. (once biochem and behav sci).
did only the general principles book of BSS (BSS is excellent! but damn, it took soooooooo long that I stopped after the 1st book)
Goljan audio 2x, (this was more for relaxation therapy and therefore the most important source that I used) no time for his notes which I liked when glanced at them.
BRS phys once (great, but painful)
BRS Chung once (great, but great)
Katzung Pharm review book once (the absolute best pharm review book on the planet)
HY behav sci once; Qs from BRS behav sci.(Great, but unless you are a psychic, the exam part of this is a guessing tossup).
HY neuroanatomy once (great, but you also need to memorize the hell out of brainstem images and pathways + lesions).
Micro ridic simple once (Yea its silly, but there's more clinical stuff in there than most micro texts)
Rapid review path once + q's in book
Rapid review biochem once + q's in book
USMLE rapid review q's (30%of them)

Most importantly, don't freak out the week before the test. STOP studying and let your brain rest. Rest, rest, rest, rest, rest. Definitely don't look at ANYTHING the day before.

All this is only an opinion, but I think some things really do make sense.

Lastly, remember that this is just a score reflecting your knowledge of zinc fingers and other random useless s*** that in NO WAY determines how good of a doctor you will be. If you care, if you love medicine, if you love people and patients, no number will stop you. And any time you are in doubt, say "f*** the world." You're so money and you dont even know it.

peace niggaz

p.s. Going back to jammin to "inside peanut butter, outside jelly" then reading some psych.

NBME 1 = 620 (242) 3 days before
qbank = 100% complete 75% average, 80-90% in last week
Step 1 = 245/99 felt like crap coming out of the test.
Comlex = ?

started studying about middle of second quarter of 2nd year at least a couple hours a day. 2 months 12-18 hour days 7 days a week. started with weakest areas first and continued to evaluate and change as time went on. A little below the SDN average but there is certainly a selection bias here. I am extremely happy with my score... Family practice isn't all that competative.

264/99
Qbank: 84% overall, but scoring in high 90's at the end. All random from day one.
IV QBank: 96% overall.
Did not do any NBME released items. Wanted to, but ran out of time.

I also felt dazed and totally spent coming out of that test. Thank goodness it is behind me.

Luck to all.

Blue Frog said:
It is generally said that above 220 is competetive for EM. What does "competitive" mean? That's the million dollar question, but 238 sounds good to me. As I mentioned I got a 230, want to go into EM, and am happy with my score. My opinion: A 238 plus a solid application will probably get you in to most programs.

Good luck!...and congrats on the score!
EM is competitive, but even a score of 200 has a decent chance. Contrary to popular belief, there aren't many programs that place that much emphasis on USMLE scores. I know of some programs that have automatic cutoffs (which they will never publicize), and I know some that do not. Just because you made a 260+ doesn't mean you will be ranked. I know of several applicants above 260 (one of them a 282!) who weren't ranked because of personality conflicts, career aspirations not congruent with a residency's training mission, etc.

Don't let any score discourage you from applying for what you want.

I'm not a US student, but i wrote the USMLE in june and just received my score report...........181!!! CRAP! I did the NBME exam 1 & 2 and was predicted to score a 230 & 240. When i wrote the exam I didn't think it was too difficult, just draining. Is it worth having the exam re-checked? I just wanted to pass the damn thing so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore.