***Official 2006 Step 1 Results Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AwesomeO-DO

robot voice]I am AwesomeO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may not be the first to take Step one in 2006, but I gotta be close, so I declare the 2006 Step 1 forum OPEN. It may lay dormant for some time, but some day the class of 2008 will thank me for getting things ready for them. Don't worry, I set the bar pretty low. How low you ask? well.... less than 240 and more than 182. All I care is that I don't have to take that damn test again. They say then next few are easier. We'll see........

Members don't see this ad.

Regardless of OSU's board scores, my opinion of him would not be any different. To me he was someone who provided unconstructive criticism that was often wrong. He was very pompous, as if he was the absolute authority, ie the "shiznit."

Thus, even if he had a 300 I would still look down on him.

velo said:
I think people are hard on OSU because of the pompous way he touted his own advise and his prediliction for answering questions with an air of authority while being completely wrong.

I'm assuming bigfranks post was a bit tongue-in-cheek...I think First Aid and Qbank are great resources, but obviously people have used them and scored less than a 207

Anyway, you might be judging his post without the aid of perspective and history is all i'm saying...
Thanks for the historical perspective. OSUDOC was the most arrogant SDN member I ever came across. He demeaned anyone who questioned Goljan's sage advice or proposed other study methods/sources. He made numerous comments regarding how easy the Step I was and how it paled in comparison to the COMLEX. I'm glad he's gone, but something tells me he may pop back up soon; when you post, as he has, 15 times a day for a couple years, you form some serious habits.....

Members don't see this ad :)
getianshi said:
I’ve been hesitant to post up my results because of how painfully skewed the average in this thread is and because I know my classmates lurk here. Even so, I guess I’ll post up because I hope someone can benefit from my post. Besides, at least I’m not a <10 n00b lurker. :laugh:

Stats:
Qbank: 78% overall, 84% last 300 questions, 100% complete
USMLERx: 79% overall, 60% complete
Qbook: ~70% overall, 100% complete
Kaplan full-length practice: 76% 3 weeks before
NBME free items: 92% 2 weeks before
NBME 3 (only one I took): 800 (265+) 5 days before
Actual exam: 266/99

Study plan: I took 6 weeks to study, about 10 hours a day with a few days off interspersed. I really didn’t start studying specifically for the boards during 2nd year. Each day I would do 50 Qbank questions and 50 USMLERx questions timed and then spend at least 2 hours reviewing my answers. This became 200 questions a day during the last 10 days with the extra mostly coming from Qbook. I organized my studying around FA with some modifications. I annotated FA with the answer to every question on Qbank or USMLERx (assuming the answer wasn’t in there already).

I did Biochem/cell/molecular/genetics first using BRS and the Kaplan class books (bought them off ebay). I then spent about 5 days on Micro/Immuno using primarily the Kaplan text and micro cards. After that I divided up my studying by organ system, about 3 days per system (more for neuro). I started by reviewing the relevant chapter in FA, then did Embryo, Anatomy, Physio, Path and Pharm in that order. I used HY for Embryo and Anatomy, BRS for Physio and Path, and Pharm cards for Pharm. I also went through HY neuroanatomy during my neuro block. I finished up with Psych and Biostats, I used BRS Behavioral (only a little) and HY Biostats for that. My last 4 days were spent going through my annotated FA.
This is reassuring...my study plan was the EXACT same (order of subjects, approach to systems, books used, time spent studying etc)...If I get with in 30 points of you, I'd be happy. Congrats on the great score.

CaptainZero said:
This is reassuring...my study plan was the EXACT same (order of subjects, approach to systems, books used, time spent studying etc)...If I get with in 30 points of you, I'd be happy. Congrats on the great score.
yeah i agree... a 296 would be SWEET! :) haha jk

good luck man

bigfrank said:
Thanks for the historical perspective. OSUDOC was the most arrogant SDN member I ever came across. He demeaned anyone who questioned Goljan's sage advice or proposed other study methods/sources. He made numerous comments regarding how easy the Step I was and how it paled in comparison to the COMLEX. I'm glad he's gone, but something tells me he may pop back up soon; when you post, as he has, 15 times a day for a couple years, you form some serious habits.....

FYI: He's under a short-term ban, not a permanent one at this point.

Score 259/99

NBME 1: 259
NBME 2: 254

Sources:

Path: Goljan, BRS PATH, FA
Phys: BRS, Big Costanzo(when BRS wasn't clear), FA
Micro: CMMRS, MicroCards, Lange's Micro and Immuno, just the immuno part, FA
Biochem: Kaplan, HY Cell & Molec, FA
Pharm: FA only
Behav: HY and some parts of BRS Behav; also HY Biostats; FA
Histo: Kaplan, FA
Anatomy: Kaplan for Gross Anatomy, HY Neuro, FA
Embryo: HY, FA

Question Sources:
Qbank, USMLERX, Lange Qs, Robbins Path

Rule 1: Stay away from SDN while studying, but use it pre-study to get your strategy down.
Rule 2: Ask or search for people's advice who know what they are talking about and have been around the forum: people's advice I thought was golden: BigFrank (what else is new), Long Dong, HamOnWholeWheat, Stinger86, Jalby. I searched all the old posts and compiled a booklist/strategy from what they used/did.
Rule 3: Do well your first 2 years. That's your full proof guarantee on doing well on this beast of an exam. I remembered more from class then I did from a bunch of review books on the real thing. You cannot cram 2 years of medical school in 6-8 weeks no matter how smart you are or hard you try.
Rule 4: Ignore people who put you down, make you crazy, or just waste your time.

Feel free to pm me for q's. Thank you SDN.

Kashue said:
Rule 3: Do well your first 2 years. That's your full proof guarantee on doing well on this beast of an exam. I remembered more from class then I did from a bunch of review books on the real thing. You cannot cram 2 years of medical school in 6-8 weeks no matter how smart you are or hard you try.
Rule 4: Ignore people who put you down, make you crazy, or just waste your time.

Wow is this how long you were able to study?

DrMom said:
FYI: He's under a short-term ban, not a permanent one at this point.
Would you have come to my rescue if I were banned????? Boy, I bet you wish I had made those repetitive idiotic comments regarding individuals' sexuality, huh?

OSU is an awesome med. school...

:rolleyes:

Kashue said:
Score 259/99

NBME 1: 259
NBME 2: 254

Sources:

Path: Goljan, BRS PATH, FA
Phys: BRS, Big Costanzo(when BRS wasn't clear), FA
Micro: CMMRS, MicroCards, Lange's Micro and Immuno, just the immuno part, FA
Biochem: Kaplan, HY Cell & Molec, FA
Pharm: FA only
Behav: HY and some parts of BRS Behav; also HY Biostats; FA
Histo: Kaplan, FA
Anatomy: Kaplan for Gross Anatomy, HY Neuro, FA
Embryo: HY, FA

Question Sources:
Qbank, USMLERX, Lange Qs, Robbins Path

Rule 1: Stay away from SDN while studying, but use it pre-study to get your strategy down.
Rule 2: Ask or search for people's advice who know what they are talking about and have been around the forum: people's advice I thought was golden: BigFrank (what else is new), Long Dong, HamOnWholeWheat, Stinger86, Jalby. I searched all the old posts and compiled a booklist/strategy from what they used/did.

Feel free to pm me for q's. Thank you SDN.

good job kashue. we basically go the same score! its good to see my '04 app buddies doing well

The scores this year are VERY impressive!!!

Congrats you guys!!!!!!

exmike said:
good job kashue. we basically go the same score! its good to see my '04 app buddies doing well

:thumbup:. Congrats too ;).

As to 6-8 weeks, we were given about 8 weeks max to study of which I took all 8 weeks =).

bigfrank said:
Would you have come to my rescue if I were banned????? Boy, I bet you wish I had made those repetitive idiotic comments regarding individuals' sexuality, huh?

OSU is an awesome med. school...

:rolleyes:

:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
HamOnWholeWheat said:
ok this has nothing to do with this thread...but hamonwholewheat...what is going on with that cat in your pic...it creeps me out/cracks me up every time i see it

haha nice work

I think it's yawning...

either that, or it's got mandibular agenesis.

Mye Eye said:
ok this has nothing to do with this thread...but hamonwholewheat...what is going on with that cat in your pic...it creeps me out/cracks me up every time i see it

haha nice work

Mye Eye said:

haha nice work

I know, I know. You want to know where you can get a cat like Cotton. Your envy is understandable, but there can be only one.

HamOn

I am thinking I need to get a cat now so I can put it on my avatar.

I like HamOn's funky kitty. He looks pretty tough.

Paws said:
I am thinking I need to get a cat now so I can put it on my avatar.

I like HamOn's funky kitty. He looks pretty tough.

When most look at Cotton, all they see is the oily matted fur, the missing teeth, the gooey brown mouth, and the sickly orange eyes. Its easy to miss the most important detail.

Cotton is growling at you.

I finally get to post results in this forum...I never thought I'd see the day.

Score: 250/99
QBank: 100 % complete; 74% (mostly random blocks)

Study plan...
I started with Goljan's first handful of lectures (the basics of path...necrosis, inflammation etc). I followed along in his book (RR) and then annotated my FA accordingly.
Then I went through the basic sciences...Cell bio/genetics, Biochem, Immuno, Microbiology....annotating FA all along. This entire process took about a week and a half.
Then I started with the systems - I basically went in the order that Goljan went. (started with heme, ended with neuro) With in each system, I started with the embryo, then went onto anatomy, physio, path and finally pharm. In the end, I had about 4 days to review my heavily annoted FA.

Books used:

FA...hated it while I was using it because it seemed so scattered and had so many errors, but during my last week of review it was a lifesaver.
Rapid Review path = Great book, even better with the Audio. A welcome change from BRS
BRS physio = Great book. I thought the Resp chapter was a bit lacking though
Rapid review biochem = again, a great book. I definitely recommend it
HY Cell and molec = would use it again in a heartbeat
HY embryo = definitely good...a bit too over the top on detail, but still a quick read
HY Anatomy = did not like it at all. It tried to do too much in such a short book and ended up missing a lot...I ended up refering to Little Moore's and Netter more often than I had planned.
HY Neuroanatomy = Great book. Quick read, a concise source of info. I had a lot of neuro on my exam
Lange Medical Microbio & Immuno = I used the last 60 or so pages to review immuno. I thought it was great...maybe more than you needed to know for the exam, but still, 60 or so pages is not that bad.
Microbio made redic. simple = read it cover to cover and annoted first aid; no regrets. I really didn't have a ton of micro on my exam, but I felt prepared for it.
HY Behavioral I used this for psych and biostats. It is more condensed than BRS (although both books are written by the same author) and definitely had everything that I saw on my exam...including the biostats stuff (which was very basic on my exam).

And finally pharm. To this date, I know of no single pharm book that comes close to covering everything except FA. I used Pharm for boards and wards (loved it at first b/c I started with antibiotics & chemo and it is great for those two topics) which I ended up not liking. Some of lippencotts was okay, I used it for some of the psych meds, but overall far too comprehensive. And the Big Katzung pharm book when I really had to. in the end I realized that I would have saved a lot of time if I just learned FA's pharm.

I walked out of the exam feeling okay. Just okay (i.e., I think I passed, but definitely not by a lot). Until I was driving home and missed my street. And almost ran every red light I came across. And was incapable of stringing together a sentence that made sense. So for the past 4 weeks I was constantly worrying that since I was such a space cadet after the exam, I must have been just as bad during the last few blocks. I thought I was screwed. Needless to say it worked out fine...

CaptainZero said:

Score: 250

Study plan.....
Excellent - well thought out strategy. Thanks for the post.

I passed. That was enough for me. I'm not going to bother posting my score in here, because quite frankly it'd only embarass me. Let's just say it was somewhere in the range between passing and the average.

CaptainZero said:

Study plan...

Congrats CaptainZero on your great performance!
I was just wondering how long was your studying plan for step1. Also, if you don't mind, what your class ranking was, and if you think it really made a difference for you.
thanks

knight3 said:
CaptainZero said:

Study plan...

Congrats CaptainZero on your great performance!
I was just wondering how long was your studying plan for step1. Also, if you don't mind, what your class ranking was, and if you think it really made a difference for you.
thanks
Thank you...
It's kind of hard for me to say exactly how long I studied for. I had about 8 weeks from my last classes until I took the exam, but I went on a short vacation, went to a wedding over a 4 day weekend, went to a family reunion in another state...you get the picture. I think all together I had about 6 weeks study time, and then a few days for review at the end.
I have no idea what my class rank is. I usually do fairly well on exams though...which I do think has helped me because I feel like I had a fairly strong background going into my USMLE review.

xaelia said:
Welcome to SDN, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the board scores are above average....

Haha, excellent Prairie Home Companion reference. :D

cerev said:
I don't know if this has already been posted here, but I came across this breakdown of board scores for each NRMP speciality that I am sure many of you will find interesting.

http://hosted.filefront.com/HunterGatherer

Wow, great file!

One thing that surprises me - in every specialty, at least 70% of students report having done research, and in most fields, over 80%??? Even almost 70% of FP applicants report having done research. And over half of IM applicants report publications...that's not even mentioning the most selective fields where those numbers are more like 95% and 85% respectively.

Looks like I need to get me some research stat, or I'll stand out for not having any.

keep in mind that people put a lot of stuff done in undergrad on their eras....maybe this has something to do with those stats, no?

felipe5 said:
keep in mind that people put a lot of stuff done in undergrad on their eras....maybe this has something to do with those stats, no?

Maybe...don't have that either though :(

Score finally came today, I felt like I was having a chemical stress test opening the envelope. My score's not among the elite of this thread, but...

Step I: 238/96
NBME 4 (2 days before):238
NBME 3 (10 days before): 238
NBME 1 (2 weeks before): 221
NBME 2 (3 weeks before): 206
Released 150 (3 weeks before): 81%
NBME 1 (3 months before): 186 (before starting studying)
USMLE Qbank: 76%, 100% completed
COMLEX Qbank: 80%, 100% completed
USMLERx: 77%, 95% completed

As you can see, the most recently done NBMEs were 100% predictive for me.

My study schedule was casual studying during spring semester, doing Qbank when I was sitting around, occasional reading of FA, and occasional listening to Goljan. I started studying in earnest a month before the test.

Sources:

FA - read through about 4 times, the last week used as a recall device
Qbank - both COMLEX and USMLE, made a list of everything I didn't
know or forgot in the answer explanations, on questions
correct and incorrect. This wound up being 7 pages of
personal HY bullets
Rapid Review Path - read most once, some chapters I was weak on
several times
USMLERx
BRS Pharmcards, Microcards
HY Neuro - read once
Micro Made Ridic Simple - read once and highlighted during Spring, reviewed during last month
Pharm Recall - read spottily
HY Mol/Cell Bio - read a couple times at the end
Kaplan Pharm - read most of it early, never looked at again
Robbins Path Questions - did like 4 chapters

felipe5 said:

Are those those publications and research projects done on anything or just their field? Anyone know if that matters anyway?

predodoc said:
Are those those publications and research projects done on anything or just their field? Anyone know if that matters anyway?

That's on anything, and from how I read it it includes abstracts and stuff like local poster presentations. Lots of schools hold little mini poster sessions for people who did summer research after first year. I wouldn't be surprised if these stats included such things.

Well, technically I did a ton of lab research in my last career as an engineer. I'm sure people are listing overall, b/c there's no way in hell more than 25% of my class has (or will do) research during med school in the field they're going into or any other for that matter.

(nicedream) said:
Score finally came today, I felt like I was having a chemical stress test opening the envelope. My score's not among the elite of this thread, but I...
Step I: 238/96
NBME 4 (2 days before):238
NBME 3 (10 days before): 238
NBME 1 (2 weeks before): 221
NBME 2 (3 weeks before): 206
Released 150 (3 weeks before): 81%
NBME 1 (2 months before): 186
USMLE Qbank: 76%, 100% completed
COMLEX Qbank: 80%, 100% completed
USMLERx: 77%, 95% completed

Congrats - I think coming from a 186 up to a 238 took a lot effort. In many ways - I feel you did a much better job than many of the posters who were already there. I think your score is elite in my book! Great job!!!

jameslynton said:
Congrats - I think coming from a 186 up to a 238 took a lot effort. In many ways - I feel you did a much better job than many of the posters who were already there. I think your score is elite in my book! Great job!!!
For real. Don't be discouraged by a low starting point. I was a 175 on form 2 and rolled it out to a 240+. It can be done :thumbup:

(nicedream) said:
One thing that surprises me - in every specialty, at least 70% of students report having done research, and in most fields, over 80%???

Even in the fields where 90%+ report research and/or publications, they are actually not much more likely to match than people without any.

For example, in ortho (considered competitive) -- 74% of people without any research at all matched, while 79% of people with 1-5 research projects (81% of people with 1-5 publications) matched. And there is insufficient data to isolate these variables for significance. Those folks you meet that are 150% convinced, probably via anecdotal reports, that you cannot match anything competitive without research are probably driving the frenzy.

i would just like to say thanks to everyone that helped to ease my concerns after i felt horrible walking out of that exam and to those who I asked advice about the predictability of the NBMEs ( you know who you guys are and thanks!!!)

step 1 score 235/95 (decent compared to the superstars on this board ;)

NBME 1 1 month pre-step 1: 228
NBME 3 10 days pre-step 1: 232
NBME 4 2 weeks pre-step 1: 240
QBANK 50% done, 72% overall

once again, thanks everyone!!!

jameslynton said:

Thanks man! :D

thackl said:
For real. Don't be discouraged by a low starting point. I was a 175 on form 2 and rolled it out to a 240+. It can be done :thumbup:
Hi thackl - I missed your post - yes that is an excellent run up - congrats to you on passing the monster in good style.

jameslynton said:
Hi thackl - I missed your post - yes that is an excellent run up - congrats to you on passing the monster in good style.
Thanks. Tech is making positive changes WRT 2nd yr for future classes. For us it was an uphill battle the whole way when it came to reviewing/learning 2nd yr material. Unlike others on here who were able to peak in 1-2wks, our class needed a good 5-7 to properly learn material and practice step1 style Q's. Either way, I'm pleased :D

Some things on those breakdown surprised me. Avg board scores for US grads for most specialties are higher than all others? I thought FMGs had to have solid board scores to match anywhere in any field? Also, for most specialties the avg board scores for US grads are above avg or only slightly below avg which seems kinda high because most of the top scorers go into competitive specialties. Like for e.g. avg US board scores for IM (one of the least competitive specialty) is 220, that's above nat'l avg and its the same case with many others.

hey nicedream!! I am kind of in your situation right now... I got exactly same score 186 on nbme 1,,How did you get your score from 186 to 238? Like what all did u do to improve it like did u do more questions or more reading?? Thanks

shiv said:
hey nicedream!! I am kind of in your situation right now... I got exactly same score 186 on nbme 1,,How did you get your score from 186 to 238? Like what all did u do to improve it like did u do more questions or more reading?? Thanks

Hi there. The 186 was actually before starting studying, I should have said that in the post. It also was 3 months before the exam, not 2, I made a mistake.

Anyways, for a month after that I did a ton of Qbank and pretty light reading and highlighting of FA. I was still in spring semester of school, so I didn't really buckle down with studying yet. I also read and highlighted Micro Made Ridic Simple and Kaplan Pharm, and used the BRS flashcards some. The 2nd month after that first NBME I had my first rotation, and I just did more Qbank and occasional FA review. The last month before the exam is when I really started studying. I had my 4wk vacation, and I spent it entirely studying. Mostly Qbank and USMLERx, keeping a list of what I didn't know like I said in my other post. Also read the other materials I mentioned in my previous post. I would say Qbank, USMLERx, and FA were my primary sources.

How much time do you have before the exam?

See i am taking a year off so i have lots of time on hand so i took my first NBME and i have heard people say Qbank is not all that great... did u think USMLERx was better than qbank? Thanks

shiv said:
See i am taking a year off so i have lots of time on hand so i took my first NBME and i have heard people say Qbank is not all that great... did u think USMLERx was better than qbank? Thanks

I liked both of them and would recommend both, but beware of mistakes in USMLERx (which also has many small unintelligible pictures). The thing with any question banks (other than the NBMEs) is that they are not like the questions on the real exam. They're not great for "practicing", but I think they are good learning tools via the answer explanations. If you try to learn all the information contained in the explanations, that's an awful lot of material. I recommend making a list of the things you didn't know/remember, as I did, or annotating FA with those things as some others did. If you combine that with whatever recommended texts you prefer, I think the results are limited only by time and effort.

My Step 1 story.

227 (92)

I would first like to say that I am thankful and pleased with my score. My goal was 230, so I nearly reached it, which I am fine with. My journey was a long one. I studied a good amount in my last quarter of 2nd year and then 6 weeks in the summer. I just would like to put a disclaimer that the advice below is just my opinion. You have to see what works right for you.

My resources/opinions in order of importance:

1) Goljan Rapid Review Pathology & audio
2) First Aid
3) NBME practice exams (all four)
4) Qbank
5) Goljan Rapid Review Step 1 book (question book)
6) High Yield Series: Molecular & Cellular Biology, Gross Anatomy, Neuro
7) BRS Physiology

1) Goljan: This guy is the man. Most who use him, swear by him. I will have to attest to that. Why do I like him? Simply put, because he makes you understand medicine. He emphasizes the “why” “mechanisms” “how” things work, which is what medicine is all about and the boards. You have to understand that this exam is not the way most of our tests are in med school, where we just regurgitate our notes. This test wants you to integrate everything you’ve learned and see if you can put it together, which is what you do in real life. His book is phenomenal when accompanied with his audio lectures, where the former buy from Amazon/Barnes and the latter from eBay or get from someone you know. I really believe his book will supercede BRS path as the standard for pathology. Don’t get me wrong, you can still do well on this exam with BRS path, but I think you will learn a more clinical aspect with Rapid Review Path. His audio lectures are very thorough and entertaining. I would recommend listening to the lectures throughout your second year 3-4 times and once in the last month of studying (FYI, there are almost 37 hours of audio). Concerning test day, he only directly helped me on 5-6 questions, which were almost verbatim, but most importantly he gave me the conceptual knowledge to tackle plenty of difficult questions. Lastly, if you think he helps you just for Step 1, I’m in my medicine rotation right now and a lot of the questions I get pimped on from my attending (e.g. what is the significance of the Batson plexus?), I answered them correctly b/c of Goljan and leave a room full of residents and interns dumbfounded. You can imagine I got a good evaluation. Enough said, I think you get my drift on how helpful Goljan is. (Note that the second edition of his book is coming out later on this year, so you might want to wait and just buy that one, it’s up to you. Also, you can attain his “high-yields” that he mentions in his audio, online as well, however, I actually didn’t find this that great of a study tool, but by the end of my studying from his book/audio, I knew most of what was in the high-yields.).

2) First Aid is pretty much the universal resource that all med students use, but not all people know how to use. You have to take First Aid as an outline that you need to expand upon. It does not really give you reasons or understanding behind its info, but it’s up to you to annotate from your other resources into the book and understand the “why”. There are also plenty of little facts that you also need to know. As much as I specify this exam is about understanding, you also need a good core of straight knowledge. First Aid accomplishes this, especially in the more fact-oriented subjects: biochemistry, micro, etc.

3) NBME practice tests: There are four of them. Buy all of them. Don’t be cheap and sell yourself short. This is the best way to test yourself. The style of questions are the most similar to how representative it is to the real thing. It is best to do one early in your studying so you can see how they ask questions. On test day, I actually got about 5 questions straight from these tests, but more importantly, I wasn’t psyched out by the test b/c I knew how they asked the questions, and with all the stress on test day, this preparation really calmed me.

4) Qbank: To be honest, I was disappointed in Qbank. While I’m not saying you shouldn’t get it, I am saying use it with caution and the right perspective. It seems to me that it tests more on minutiae (e.g. FAB classifications) than on actual thinking questions. The real exam is much more thinking based like I said earlier, while Qbank is full of fact-based questions on material that is so esoteric. I, for some reason knew a lot of this minutiae garbage and it gave me a slight sense of false security as I was doing quite well on Qbank. I have to admit that the interface of the program is quite good though. Bottom line: buy it for a month, don’t do all of it, don’t get discouraged if your score fluctuates as this happens to everyone, and most importantly, use it to expand your approach to answering questions.

5) Rapid Review Step 1: These are 7, 50 question tests, in written format, by Goljan. The CD has more questions, but some of them are repeated from the book, but the CD program is not great at all. I did the written questions and I thought they were very good. I have to admit though, I don’t think the distribution of questions (e.g. biochem, biostats, anatomy, etc.) were split accordingly, but these questions really do make you think. If you have the time and the money, get this book to do more questions. However, if you had to choose between this book and the Rapid Review Pathology, get the Path book for sure.

6) High Yield Series: These series are pretty good. They have a book for each of the low-yield subjects that most of us hate (molecular, embryo, etc). I would get a book if you have a significant problem with one of these low yield subjects, but keep in mind, these low-yield subjects are really low-yield. You would be surprised, some people memorize all there is to know about biochem, and then it turns out they were only asked 10 questions on the whole thing, of which 7 they probably already knew from First Aid. Therefore, I would only recommend a light read, as you need to spend more time on the bigger subjects. The ones I used, which most use are: Cell/Molecular, Anatomy, Neuro.

7) BRS Physiology: As many people know, this is a very good physiology book. I liked it for physiology too, but that’s just it. Step 1 does not test physiology, but pathophysiology! If there were one thing I would change in my study curriculum would be to invest in a good pathophys question book. A typical pathophys question on the exam involves hormones. They will have give you a case and then ask you the changes with arrows (up, down, or no change). This may seem easy, and I thought my pathophys was good before going in, but when they ask you about 5 perturbations and you know all of them except one, and they have every different possibility so you cant use process of elimination, this gets hard and frustrating. Bottom line: know your pathophys well and possibly invest in a book.

General comments:

1) Stick to a select few books that you like. Don’t get a book for every freakin’ subject like most people. It’s better to know a few very well.
2) Do questions to test yourself
3) Always ask yourself “why”. You will remember it better.
4) The journey is hard and sucks, but try to keep yourself motivated and your life balanced. In the beginning of my studying I wouldn’t take days off and then by the end of each week I would feel burned out and then stop for the day. I would then feel guilty because I didn’t satisfy my goal. I quickly learned then to set goals and limits. Set a time to study and a time to play. That way when you are on your break, you feel like you’ve earned it and will also be rested.

In closing, I feel very satisfied with my journey and test. I feel like I did the most I could do and reached my maximum potential. Just because I didn’t get a 260 doesn’t mean the above advice is worthless. I hope this helps many people as I have received help from many others.

studydork said:
3) Always ask yourself “why”. You will remember it better.

I totally, totally agree with this. Not only does it make things easier to remember, but I can't even count the number of questions on my exam which asked me "why" something was the way it was. Qbank and a lot of other resources seem to focus on asking the "how" and the "what" (if that makes sense), but if you can explain why a biological pathway disruption causes X disease you're golden.

Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on surviving Step 1!!

studydork said:
[Goljan]... His book is phenomenal when accompanied with his audio lectures, where the former buy from Amazon/Barnes and the latter from eBay or get from someone you know. I really believe his book will supercede BRS path as the standard for pathology. Don’t get me wrong, you can still do well on this exam with BRS path, but I think you will learn a more clinical aspect with Rapid Review Path.

Agreed. Rapid Review Path will take you through 2nd year, the boards, and IM rotation.