***Official 2006 Step 1 Results Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AwesomeO-DO

robot voice]I am AwesomeO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may not be the first to take Step one in 2006, but I gotta be close, so I declare the 2006 Step 1 forum OPEN. It may lay dormant for some time, but some day the class of 2008 will thank me for getting things ready for them. Don't worry, I set the bar pretty low. How low you ask? well.... less than 240 and more than 182. All I care is that I don't have to take that damn test again. They say then next few are easier. We'll see........

Members don't see this ad.

Rustywool said:
I'm not a US student, but i wrote the USMLE in june and just received my score report...........181!!! CRAP! I did the NBME exam 1 & 2 and was predicted to score a 230 & 240. When i wrote the exam I didn't think it was too difficult, just draining. Is it worth having the exam re-checked? I just wanted to pass the damn thing so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore.

I would guess that the "rechecking" option is just a way to screw people out of their money. If it was a paper exam I could understand the possibility, but what exactly do you do to recheck a computer-based exam?

Let's see, rechecking...Press Enter again....and yep, same score.

Sorry to hear that you just missed it by a hair, but I imagine if you paid the $50 or whatever it'd just be $50 down the drain that could go toward retaking the exam.

maybe if u were predicted to be in the 230s/40s and failed by 1 point, it might be worth it...unless those predicted scores were with open book...in that case...dont waste the money...b/c 60 points between your real score and the predicted one is quite a hefty margin

either way, good luck to you

Thank you Llenroc!!!!! I was getting so depressed looking at the scores people posted here (darn, they almost all are above 240)... I was a little bit disappointed wiht my score (218) cuz i wanted to break into at least the 220's but oh well...life isnt perfect. Anyone knows the average accepted scores for says Internal Medicine in a residency program in University of California schools? Thanks :)

Llenroc said:
I found out my score today, I got a 218. It was a lot better than what I had expected.

In the past I've scored 1490 on SAT and 34 on MCAT. I had a 3.74 GPA at an Ivy League school.

I was a horrible, horrible med student. I barely passed med 1 and med 2 with about the lowest grades in my class. Many things I didn't even learn properly the first time around like anatomy (which I still don't know that well), GI, renal, reproduction.

For the boards, I took about 6 weeks to study, of which 2 were spent in class, so I was only studying in the evenings. I read through First Aid and Step Up cover to cover one time. I read High Yield Internal Medicine cover to cover. I read 2/3 of BRS Physiology. I read about 1/4 of USMLE Step 1 Secrets. I also read bits and pieces here and there from High Yield books, Black's dictionary, etc. I listened to 75% of Dr. Goljan's lectures, mostly in my car or while I was eating. I did abour 45% of Q-Bank, with overall atrocious scores around 40-50%, but around 60% on the last few before I took the test.

And during Med 2 I didn't study much for the boards except to read the relevant sections in First Aid of what we were doing in class, since I had bought the book a year ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rustywool said:
I'm not a US student, but i wrote the USMLE in june and just received my score report...........181!!! CRAP! I did the NBME exam 1 & 2 and was predicted to score a 230 & 240. When i wrote the exam I didn't think it was too difficult, just draining. Is it worth having the exam re-checked? I just wanted to pass the damn thing so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore.
As Bigfranks says - the USMLE is a marathon - if it was draining - you were not mentally and physically prepared. You were close. Would not waste money on recheck - would spend time and money on effective study. You at least know what the beast looks like now. You may have miss read what the score esitmator says about the NBME exams. There are several out there and some are too optimistic.

xjacob said:
I have no practical idea how the residency admissions ne with "ok" MCAT and GPA scores, who subsequently pretty much aced the boards, I'd definitely want him in the program. Congrats heifetz! People like you are very encouraging for those of us, who still have to take that thing.

It wouldn't matter what one's undergrad GPA and MCAT were because it's not a part of the ERAS application so "residency admissions" wouldn't see it.

daelroy said:
It wouldn't matter what one's undergrad GPA and MCAT were because it's not a part of the ERAS application so "residency admissions" wouldn't see it.
undergraduate transcripts are required for SFMatch

exmike said:
undergraduate transcripts are required for SFMatch

Is the "San Francisco match" basically for gay applicants?

(obviously I wouldn't know)

jameslynton said:
As Bigfranks says - the USMLE is a marathon - if it was draining - you were not mentally and physically prepared. You were close. Would not waste money on recheck - would spend time and money on effective study. You at least know what the beast looks like now. You may have miss read what the score esitmator says about the NBME exams. There are several out there and some are too optimistic.

what the hell is your problem? your posts on this forum have repeatedly struck me as being in poor taste... the guy just got several points lower than what he expected and you're telling him he basically deluded himself into thinking he was ready... what an a-hole

Catalyst said:
what the hell is your problem? your posts on this forum have repeatedly struck me as being in poor taste... the guy just got several points lower than what he expected and you're telling him he basically deluded himself into thinking he was ready... what an a-hole

60 points lower, not several...

OSUdoc08 said:
Is the "San Francisco match" basically for gay applicants?

(obviously I wouldn't know)

Is OSUCOM for hicks and rednecks? :confused: Yeah, very PC. But we'd expect that coming from you :rolleyes:

SF match is for ophtho/child neuro/neurology/neurosurgery match.

exmike said:
Is OSUCOM for hicks and rednecks? :confused: Yeah, very PC. But we'd expect that coming from you :rolleyes:

I'm not from Oklahoma, but the hicks and rednecks live in Arkansas anyway....

I'm not sure what this has to do with San Francisco, but okay...

Catalyst said:
what the hell is your problem? your posts on this forum have repeatedly struck me as being in poor taste... the guy just got several points lower than what he expected and you're telling him he basically deluded himself into thinking he was ready... what an****
I may have poor taste but I don't call people names. The tester actaully got many points lower than he expected - I also never said he was ready -

you may wish to read posts more carefully.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:

you really didn't know? Teaches me to give you the benifit of the doubt...I thought you were being "clever"...ish...

undecided2008 said:
I just found out from my dean my score is a 243! Anyone know what 2 digit score this equals?
Wow! Score > 240, Posts < 10! I love it!

As for your question, it's been covered a lot and I'm still not sure what it means. I suggest a search, or just hang out a while and people will start debating it once again.

undecided2008 said:
I just found out from my dean my score is a 243! Anyone know what 2 digit score this equals?

From the usmle website: 'The 2-digit score is derived in such a way that a score of 75 always corresponds to the minimum passing score....The 2-digit score is not a percentile'.
http://www.usmle.org/FAQs/faqusmlescores.htm

exmike said:

sorry to interrupt and not that it matters, but neurology will now be in the regular match and not the SF match, child neuro is still there though, interesting...

back to flaming

What's up everyone.

I had not been on SDN since med school started until all this board insanity hit. I must say that reading this thread early on actually did help me quite a bit, so I thought I would post my experience.

NBME 1 - 590/238 (5 weeks out)
NBME 2 - 580/236 (4 weeks out)
NBME 4 - 630/245 (3 weeks out)
NBME 3 - 710/259 (1.5 weeks out)
USMLE - Right between my last two NBMEs.

I was hoping for better, but I did really well (especially considering how crappy I felt after the test). A little disappointed because I won't be in the top 10% of my class on the boards and I thought I was set up for a stellar score. By reading these threads, it seems like most people get within a couple points of to their last NBME. I guess nerves just got the better of me that day.

Advice:

1) Look at the NBMEs and go over them thoroughly. If you don't you might be a little shocked by the kind of random things they ask on the real thing.
2) Use the standards stuff (BRS/FA/Step Up) to get solid. One you pass the 235 range, Goljan is key to bump you up higher. I also read over bits of the HYs to hopefully pick up a random question here or there. For example, I had no idea what a Zinc finger was and it shows up 3 times in the NBMEs, so I read the Biochem and Cell Bio HYs.
3) Make sure you relax on test day. Don't freak out.

Good luck everyone.

(nicedream) said:
How do you know?

Last year, conservatively 15% were over 250.
Top 10% is therefore going to be a bit higher...
and, I've already heard of at least 10 people over my score (top 10% would be about 16 people).

Yeah, I know. It sounds crazy. Truth is, we get FOREVER to study. That is why our avg. is like 229 every year.

vikas said:

I was hoping for better, but I did really well (especially considering how crappy I felt after the test). A little disappointed because I won't be in the top 10% of my class on the boards and I thought I was set up for a stellar score.

I appreciate your candor, but dude, there's far more to life than this.

If anyone knows why OSUDOC is now banned ( !!!!! ), please send me a PM. Did he just implode after his Step I score? Thanks

vikas said:
and, I've already heard of at least 10 people over my score (top 10% would be about 16 people).

Yeah, I know. It sounds crazy. Truth is, we get FOREVER to study. That is why our avg. is like 229 every year.

Out of curiosity, since we're all relatively anonymous here, do you mind telling us which school gives its students "forever to study?"

vaMD08 said:
Thank you Llenroc!!!!! I was getting so depressed looking at the scores people posted here (darn, they almost all are above 240)... I was a little bit disappointed wiht my score (218) cuz i wanted to break into at least the 220's but oh well...life isnt perfect. Anyone knows the average accepted scores for says Internal Medicine in a residency program in University of California schools? Thanks :)

Keep in mind there are certain people very keen on doing well on this exam. These are the same kinds of people who investigate the issue on all fronts, including searching the internet to find forums to post on about the exam. So of course this forum is filled with people who get 240s and such, which does not reflect the normal distribution of scores.

It's like that when the MCAT scores come in as well. Lots of people getting 40's. And I believe it. Sure there's only a few people in the country getting those kinds of scores, but those are also the kinds of people who might be likely to post here.

OSUdoc08 said:
I'm not from Oklahoma, but the hicks and rednecks live in Arkansas anyway....

Hey that's funny. People here in Ohio think West Virginia or Indiana (and points South/West) is full of rednecks, but the average Ohioan seems like quite a redneck to me. :laugh:

vikas said:

hey vikas... congrats on your score. It's a fantastic score so I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself to other ppl at *OUR* (wink) school. I got a very similar score to yours and I'm happy. I guess whatever passing score would be fine for me, tho, since I have super high aspirations like Psych and IM. I'm pissed at myself for wasting too much of my precious summer on studying when it don't really matta for my residency choices... oh what a waste of a good score... oh well. I'd sell my score to someone gunning for a surgical subspecialty, for may a few grand!? jk...

Llenroc said:
Hey that's funny. People here in Ohio think West Virginia or Indiana (and points South/West) is full of rednecks, but the average Ohioan seems like quite a redneck to me. :laugh:
who's from ohio? be nice to them. they didn't do anything

bigfrank said:
If anyone knows why OSUDOC is now banned ( !!!!! ), please send me a PM.

Yeah I'd like to know too. Is just being an idiot grounds for banishment now?

If someone finds out why the banishment occurred and sends bigfrank a PM, stick a CC to me on there too. I just spent ten minutes trying to find "the post", and the San Francisco comment seems like the answer. Or maybe he sent a nasty PM to someone. Either way, it'll be funny to watch new people who post answers to every post (note, not necessarily correct answers, just answers) get accused of being "the return of".

vikas said:

It's not just forever to study. I bet your school starts with good students, then proceeds to do a stellar job in the first two yrs.

Either way, you should be happy with a top 10% score nationally!

thackl said:
Wow! Score > 240, Posts < 10! I love it!

As for your question, it's been covered a lot and I'm still not sure what it means. I suggest a search, or just hang out a while and people will start debating it once again.
that's the trend on this thread, especially this year more so than most years past. n00bs that lurk sdn for years... now they're so ecstatic about their scores that they're bursting to tell people on sdn all about it. work up your post count and earn your right, little ones.

vikas said:

How long do you guys get? Our average was 229 last year too. We got 6 weeks, including vacation time, so in reality if you want a week-long break between M2 and M3, you get about 5 weeks. I thought that was pretty standard? It would have been SWEET to have more vacay!

vikas said:
NBME 4 - 630/245 (3 weeks out)
NBME 3 - 710/259 (1.5 weeks out)

I was hoping for better,
If your score is between 245> and <259 I would say congrats on an excellent score and my hat is off to you. Hold your head high - you did great!!!!

TheFlash said:
n00bs that lurk sdn for years...work up your post count and earn your right, little ones.
You weren't serious about this, were you? I mean, you don't honestly view the countless hours you've spent on SDN posting 4000+ posts as some sort of accomplishment that entitles you to something, do you?

CaptainZero said:
You weren't serious about this, were you? I mean, you don't honestly view the countless hours you've spent on SDN posting 4000+ posts as some sort of accomplishment that entitles you to something, do you?

yes, i do. most of the n00bs are actually lurkers that just opt never to post except when they get scores back. that's watered down parasitism. if you're gonna lurk, just stay a lurker. i've got no qualms with that.

and with this post, i make my exit from this thread for good.

TheFlash said:
yes, i do. most of the n00bs are actually lurkers that just opt never to post except when they get scores back. that's watered down parasitism. if you're gonna lurk, just stay a lurker. i've got no qualms with that.

and with this post, i make my exit from this thread for good.
I tend to agree with this. It just discourages those with mearly above avg scores not to post anymore. Then again, if you have a great study plan.... post away!

I’ve been hesitant to post up my results because of how painfully skewed the average in this thread is and because I know my classmates lurk here. Even so, I guess I’ll post up because I hope someone can benefit from my post. Besides, at least I’m not a <10 n00b lurker. :laugh:

Stats:
Qbank: 78% overall, 84% last 300 questions, 100% complete
USMLERx: 79% overall, 60% complete
Qbook: ~70% overall, 100% complete
Kaplan full-length practice: 76% 3 weeks before
NBME free items: 92% 2 weeks before
NBME 3 (only one I took): 800 (265+) 5 days before
Actual exam: 266/99

Study plan: I took 6 weeks to study, about 10 hours a day with a few days off interspersed. I really didn’t start studying specifically for the boards during 2nd year. Each day I would do 50 Qbank questions and 50 USMLERx questions timed and then spend at least 2 hours reviewing my answers. This became 200 questions a day during the last 10 days with the extra mostly coming from Qbook. I organized my studying around FA with some modifications. I annotated FA with the answer to every question on Qbank or USMLERx (assuming the answer wasn’t in there already).

I did Biochem/cell/molecular/genetics first using BRS and the Kaplan class books (bought them off ebay). I then spent about 5 days on Micro/Immuno using primarily the Kaplan text and micro cards. After that I divided up my studying by organ system, about 3 days per system (more for neuro). I started by reviewing the relevant chapter in FA, then did Embryo, Anatomy, Physio, Path and Pharm in that order. I used HY for Embryo and Anatomy, BRS for Physio and Path, and Pharm cards for Pharm. I also went through HY neuroanatomy during my neuro block. I finished up with Psych and Biostats, I used BRS Behavioral (only a little) and HY Biostats for that. My last 4 days were spent going through my annotated FA.

Resources I liked: BRS physio and path were great and the HY embryo and Anatomy were long enough to be helpful and short enough not to put me to sleep (don’t like those 2 subjects much). Pharm cards were nice to carry around and study when I needed to get out of the house or library. I actually had several questions right out of Qbook, so thought that was a good resource.

Resources I didn’t like: Goljan. I know I am way in the minority on this. I had the audio and his texts and tried to use both, but found them to not be that helpful. Every time he went off on some tangent I was just like “why am I wasting time listening to this when I could be learning something?” That’s just me, and I know lots of people like his stuff. I also didn’t like BRS physio cases and problems.

My $0.02: 6 weeks was about a week too long for me, I really didn’t feel I was learning anything by the last week. For me at least the key was doing questions and lots of them. Qbank, USMLERx and Qbook both go overboard as far as difficulty, but if you learn the concepts behind the questions you are gold. In reality I’d say 85% of my answers on my exam came from knowledge I got during my first 2 years, the reviewing was just the icing on the cake. My goal was 250 (I’m planning on going into Rad. Onc. so I set the bar high for myself) so I am very pleased. I am happy to offer suggestions to anyone, feel free to PM.

Good luck to everyone!

congrats on the fine score; it seems like all your hard work paid off in the end. you shouldn't have too much trouble matching into a stellar rad-onc program...

btw, i'm guessing you were a top student in most of your classes, since a 266 doesn't happen with only 6 weeks of prep.

getianshi said:
I’ve been hesitant to post up my results because of how painfully skewed the average in this thread is and because I know my classmates lurk here. Even so, I guess I’ll post up because I hope someone can benefit from my post. Besides, at least I’m not a <10 n00b lurker. :laugh:

Stats:
Qbank: 78% overall, 84% last 300 questions, 100% complete
USMLERx: 79% overall, 60% complete
Qbook: ~70% overall, 100% complete
Kaplan full-length practice: 76% 3 weeks before
NBME free items: 92% 2 weeks before
NBME 3 (only one I took): 800 (265+) 5 days before
Actual exam: 266/99

Good luck to everyone!

nasdr said:
congrats on the fine score; it seems like all your hard work paid off in the end. you shouldn't have too much trouble matching into a stellar rad-onc program...

btw, i'm guessing you were a top student in most of your classes, since a 266 doesn't happen with only 6 weeks of prep.

I honestly couldn't tell you as there's kind of an unspoken rule among my classmates that you don't share how you did on exams. I haven't even seen my 2nd year grades yet nor do I really care what they are. I do think I go to a great place and had great instructors so I give them just as much credit as my long hours of studying. I did study my a$$ off though so it's not like I went into my 6 weeks of board studying a blank slate.

as OSUDOC has shamefully proven (207!!!), goljan is NOT all that he is hyped to be. Period.

getianshi said:
I honestly couldn't tell you as there's kind of an unspoken rule among my classmates that you don't share how you did on exams. I haven't even seen my 2nd year grades yet nor do I really care what they are. I do think I go to a great place and had great instructors so I give them just as much credit as my long hours of studying. I did study my a$$ off though so it's not like I went into my 6 weeks of board studying a blank slate.

getianshi, you show good leadership qualities and professionalism. - Keep it up :thumbup:
ps( I am not some elderly guy (hence the post) but as I am making my journey through medicine it seems I am falling in sort of similar line, which makes me feel good

bigfrank said:
as OSUDOC has shamefully proven (207!!!), goljan is NOT all that he is hyped to be. Period.
SHAMEFULLY??? Who the f*ck do you think you are to judge that score?? You really need to get off your high horse. I used to listen to your advice until I saw how much your posts depended on "what did u score on step 1?" Seriously, regardless of how he scored, how dare you speak like you are the absolute shiznit..........I got news for you. You are NOT! He gave his own advice based on what he thought was right. If you have something creative to add, like alternative methods to what he suggested, thats fine, but you have the balls to say his score is SHAMEFUL??

I guess its true what they said about you. Even though its been more than a yr, you still hover around this forum and I haven't seen a SINGLE post in the past few months from you regarding advice for prepping for step 1, all you do is hint/talk about your score...........you really need to stop masturbating to it and get over it.

I would feel sorry for you, but I'd rather not waste my time.

I think people are hard on OSU because of the pompous way he touted his own advise and his prediliction for answering questions with an air of authority while being completely wrong.

I'm assuming bigfranks post was a bit tongue-in-cheek...I think First Aid and Qbank are great resources, but obviously people have used them and scored less than a 207

Anyway, you might be judging his post without the aid of perspective and history is all i'm saying...