OFFICIAL 2008 Interview Invite Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I thought that someone else had posted Temple interviews? I'm sort of confused as to how this works. When I check the original thread list- two of my interests (UPenn & Temple) are listed as:

"Univ. of Pittsburgh (Clinical Psych PhD, phone invite from POI, interview 2/22-2/23) (contacted for phone interview, possible face-to-face interview if there is a good match)"
"Temple University (interviews 2/1, 2/4) (School psych PhD, email from a prof, interview 2/25)"

Which means, if I haven't heard yet, I was at least not in the first round of people they contacted, right?

Let me know if this is correct. Sorry everyone, I'm new, but loving this forum!

Thanks!!!

Temple's clinical program interviewed on 2/1 and 2/4. The school psych program is interviewing on 2/25.

**FYI**

The updates to the first post will be a bit slow through the weekend and very early next week. I'm headed out of town for two interviews so I won't have consistent internet access, but I will update it as often as I can (especially if I get PMs since otherwise you could just read about invites as people post them on the thread). Just wanted to give yall a heads up so nobody starts freaking out (not that any of us are freaking out over anything right now....:laugh:). Anyway, starting tomorrow and running through Tuesday, it'll be a bit slow but I will do my best :) Have an excellent weekend everybody! And good luck to everyone :luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Phone message to schedule and interview date/time. As I recall they were posted as 2/23 and 3/1. I will confirm this on contact with the caller.

Does anyone know when they are sending (sent) interview invitations? Did anyone here apply this year? I'm currently a not-so-proud member of the One Invite Club, and this is the last school on my list that no one has mentioned hearing from yet. From what I can tell from forum searches, their invites have been late in past years, with interviews in early March. I'm dying to hear some news! :confused:

Everyone else get a random email from Berkeley today about the applications process/final decisions date for the clinical program??

Does anyone know when they are sending (sent) interview invitations? Did anyone here apply this year? I'm currently a not-so-proud member of the One Invite Club, and this is the last school on my list that no one has mentioned hearing from yet. From what I can tell from forum searches, their invites have been late in past years, with interviews in early March. I'm dying to hear some news! :confused:

Hi,

I don't know exactly when the interview is, but I know that my coworker received an invite to their program last week sometime. I know that isn't much info but hopefully it helps.

In all of my recent excitement, I almost forgot that I can still do on-topic and serious posts! (Take that Therapist4Chnge!:laugh:)

I am not 100% certain on the number of invites but was told for certain, through a reliable source, that interviews were in fact extended on Friday (2/8). Also, not sure if all of these were done by e-mail or phone. The source told me that that his interview was by e-mail.

The invites were by email. The email encourages students to come to the campus for a lunch with current grad students and to meet with three professors for a half an hour a piece during the next few fridays. It states phone interviews may be granted but are put you at a disadvantage in terms of getting accepted.

Hi,

I don't know exactly when the interview is, but I know that my coworker received an invite to their program last week sometime. I know that isn't much info but hopefully it helps.

That's disappointing to hear - any way you could find out more info?

I can ask her on Monday, but I'm out of town for an interview this weekend. Sorry

Just to put everything in a bit of perspective......I just found out about the shootings at Northern Illinois University. I was actually at the NIU library last night checking out research articles. The shootings occured today, two buildings away from the building that housed my former department. I was a student there one year ago. My best friend actually works in the same department, and by a stroke of tremendous luck, happened to leave work approximately 30 minutes before the shootings began.

Just remember, the world will not come to an end if you don't get accepted anywhere. There are much worse things that can happen. Senseless violence of this type is a huge wake-up call, particularly when it happens at your doorstep.

Right now, whether I get in somewhere or not doesn't matter too much. Fate apparently has its own way and its own methods, whether they make sense or not. To struggle so much for an education when you can't even be safe in your own schools? I don't know.....it's an insane world out there......

Hey all, to continue the University of Denver updates... as of today they were still extending invites- good luck all! By the way, kayak.com is a lifesaver for cheap flights.

They told ME they are jmissing my lab report & undergrad transcript... Yet DHL says it was signed for on 1/4. Annoying... and the person's mailbox is full!

It's her first year on the job, and the last guy left weeks before she started so she's learning everything on the go. It is certainly annoying though, administration is not a strength throughout the whole university.

The psych office is closed on Fridays, so I would suggest calling before or after lunch from Mondays to Thursdays - they close at 4:30pm.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I too was just told that part of my application was missing (GRE scores) which were sent several months ago (of course I tried to confirm several times but was told they were still processing, etc.). I faxed over a copy right away but I'm not holding my breath that I'm going to get an invite now that invites have already been extended...It's really frustrating:mad:

I, too, was told through email that my transcripts (sent in November) were missing. The funny thing is I had enclosed a letter with my application stating that these transcripts were sent in November and that they should be aware that they are under my maiden name and not my married name. (I ran into many problems at other schools and thought I was being smart to warn them ahead of time.) It turns out that it did not make a difference. I then attempted to fax the transcripts, but was informed that their fax machine was having difficulties because of the weather. They then asked me to scan them and email them. I did, but have not heard a reply. It sounds like they have their hands full, but it is so disappointing to have the interview invites go out and to know that your application did not even get to the department.

Congrats to everyone on interviews :)
Special congrats to those of you comming here to Baylor for an interview. If you guys need any information, let me know.
I'd be more than happy to help.

hey, for whoever applied to UND, I called and they told me they will be sending out invites to interview next friday. It's my last chance... here's hopin

North Dakota sent out interview invites yesterday (or at least started to). Will you be there?

I'm doing a phone interview with a program because it would have cost me ~$600 to fly out to the interview and the school doesn't help with travel. They just emailed me a time for an interview and I'll actually be out of town that day (and 3 days thereafter) for another 2 interviews (both of which, helped to pay the costs of the flights).

How do I reply in the email? "That doesn't work for me?" "I have committed to another interview that weekend?" "I will be out of town?"

I feel like this program is probably already annoyed w/ me for not flying out and don't want to annoy them even more by being inflexible but I seriously can't commit to that date/time.

Suggestions?

I'm doing a phone interview with a program because it would have cost me ~$600 to fly out to the interview and the school doesn't help with travel. They just emailed me a time for an interview and I'll actually be out of town that day (and 3 days thereafter) for another 2 interviews (both of which, helped to pay the costs of the flights).

How do I reply in the email? "That doesn't work for me?" "I have committed to another interview that weekend?" "I will be out of town?"

I feel like this program is probably already annoyed w/ me for not flying out and don't want to annoy them even more by being inflexible but I seriously can't commit to that date/time.

Suggestions?

I think all you can do is apologize profusely and say that you have another interview at that point in time (as tactfully as possible, and which probably won't surprise them). Hopefully they will understand. Unless this phone interview is more important than the interview you are flying out for, seeming like you're not super committed is a chance you have to take.

Although this leads me to wonder if you are 100% interested in the school which you are trying to schedule a phone interview for? I understand that you have numerous interviews which can get very costly, but if you chose to not attend the in-person interview purely based on the fact that they would not assist in travel costs (knowing the risk that comes with this), I assume that they cannot be one of your top schools. Much as I fully support taking advantage of all the opportunities presented to you to find the school that is your best match, in your case where you may be entertaining multiple schools, I think you just have to suck it up if a school further down on your list, realizes it.

I talked to them today and they are still making calls next week

i like to consider myself the queen of carrotflowers, thank you very much. :)

good to know there are psych-focused people with excellent taste in music.

Everyone else get a random email from Berkeley today about the applications process/final decisions date for the clinical program??

i got this email on feb 12 too...do we know what this implies at all? ...still in the running or waiting for rejection letters...?

I've heard some interesting (aka negative) things about their experience interviewing/visiting GWU. Can anyone out there elaborate for me (in the forum or private message)? My next interview is out there, and I'm trying to brace myself... but then again, I'm also wondering if it's even worth spending hundreds to interview at a school that sounds miserable to be at. And then I think again, beggars can't be choosers eh? :p

I've heard some interesting (aka negative) things about their experience interviewing/visiting GWU. Can anyone out there elaborate for me (in the forum or private message)? My next interview is out there, and I'm trying to brace myself... but then again, I'm also wondering if it's even worth spending hundreds to interview at a school that sounds miserable to be at. And then I think again, beggars can't be choosers eh? :p

I considered GW's program during my search, though I later withdrew my application for consideration as it didn't quite meet my needs. From what I remember (this is going on 5 years ago, so YMMV), it was very psychodynamic, which was one reason why I was considering it. It is a great location for those who want to live in a big city, though I ultimately decided I wanted to get out of the area.

The one thing that concerns me now is their low APPIC placement rate (in the 60's). I've heard it is good training and a nice experience, though you want to ask about that....as my figures are a few years old. I suspect it has something to do with people wanting to stay in the DC area, and having limited APA/APPIC approved choices.

I actually interviewed at GW. One of the guys who interviewed me, former student, was way to psychodynamically invovled and wanted to know very personal details about my past. I wasn't really into telling him all that. The other interviewers were nicer but I decided against attending because it was almost completely psychodynamic in teaching. Hope you don't get that guy :)

I actually interviewed at GW. One of the guys who interviewed me, former student, was way to psychodynamically invovled and wanted to know very personal details about my past. I wasn't really into telling him all that. The other interviewers were nicer but I decided against attending because it was almost completely psychodynamic in teaching. Hope you don't get that guy :)

I still remember my Wright Institute individual interview (by a former WI student), and it was very much the same. They had more variety on staff, but it was definitely the most personal interview. I was going to write "invasive", but it wasn't quite that...it was just more personal than my other ones.

I figured it had been awhile (a week really, but it seems like forever) since I asked this and thought it was worth asking again. Has anyone heard anything from Virginia Tech-clinical? Their application was due on Dec 15th.

I'm still waiting too....

FYI, I applied there last year and got diddly-squat from them. Never even got a rejection. I think they're really bad communicators. :rolleyes:

Congrats to everyone on interviews :)
Special congrats to those of you comming here to Baylor for an interview. If you guys need any information, let me know.
I'd be more than happy to help.

Hey Becca! I'm coming out to interview the 3rd and am very excited (and slightly nervous, of course)... I was just wondering what your impressions are of the program :) Pluses and minuses? Thanks for be willing to share, it sounds like you're happy with the decision you made!

I tried calling Virginia Tech on two different days last week, was transferred every time but couldn't get a person on the phone...

FYI, I applied there last year and got diddly-squat from them. Never even got a rejection. I think they're really bad communicators. :rolleyes:

Soon this thread won't be running anymore because it's getting closer and closer to april 15th.

Anyone heard ANYTHING from U Wisconsin-Madison? (clinical psych). I know they do interviews according to profs (ie they don't have a specific interview weekend) so it doesn't necessarily tell you if all interview invites have gone out yet, just wondering if anyone has heard back from their POI yet.

Blindchaos is at interviews and because of that hasn't been able to make it on much. For that reason they asked me to post the following information (adapted from an email).

I haven't gotten any PMs about new interview offers? Whatever people have posted on the thread is the only new info (I have infrequent internet access so I haven't been able
to update). The only the stuff that has been posted since my "FYI" post is new - no info has come to me via PM (which is fine, I just want to make sure people aren't worrying that I got info via PM that's not on the thread yet).

I hope that helps if anyone is concerned!

Does anyone have an idea, in general, what percentage of those applicants invited to an interview a school plans to admit? And what percentage of the applicants are invited to an interview to begin with? I know it varies from school to school, but generally speaking, does anyone know?

Thank you!

(for admittance) I'd think pretty decent...20-40%?

As for reject/invite....a lot/not a lot. :D If I had to guesstimate, let's say a program accepts 6 people out of 180. Each prof interviews 3 people for the spot, so that leaves you 18 invites out of 180. 90%/10%.

...I was a student there one year ago. My best friend actually works in the same department, and by a stroke of tremendous luck, happened to leave work approximately 30 minutes before the shootings began...

I am so glad your friend is ok. I hope everyone else you know is safe...I'm glad you are.

Has anyone heard anything from this program? Or have any updates on the interview invites?? It seems like forever since that application went in!

Thanks!

they sent out invites on 2/12 for interviews on 2/27.

Does anyone have an idea, in general, what percentage of those applicants invited to an interview a school plans to admit? And what percentage of the applicants are invited to an interview to begin with? I know it varies from school to school, but generally speaking, does anyone know?

Thank you!

It really varies too much to give a general answer.

I know of at least one school where basically, if you get an interview, you are in unless you manage to come across as a total *****. Other schools will interview 30-40 for just a handful of spots. To further complicate things, there are sometimes situations where there will only be say, 20 people interviewing, but 10 of them will all be for one professor. Overall odds after the interview are quite good, but if you're applying to that professor, they're pretty bad.

I know there are a few out here on SDN who were invited to interview at NIU. Just a quick note to inform you ladies & gents that we still plan on holding open house this week, even with the campus technically being closed. Everyone should be receiving an email soon to update them further.

G'luck this week! :luck:

Does anyone know of any of the doctoral programs that will offer admission into their masters program if you don't make the cut for doctorate? I know Teacher's college for school psych and maybe clinical too do this. Do you think they only ask people who they have interviewed?

I know there are a few out here on SDN who were invited to interview at NIU. Just a quick note to inform you ladies & gents that we still plan on having open house this week, even with the campus technically being closed. Everyone should be receiving an email soon to update them further.

G'luck this week! :luck:

Paramour! Glad to hear that you are a ok! :) I figured from all of the news reports that none of the psychology graduate students were in that Geology lecture but it is still good news!

Does anyone know of any of the doctoral programs that will offer admission into their masters program if you don't make the cut for doctorate? I know Teacher's college for school psych and maybe clinical too do this. Do you think they only ask people who they have interviewed?

you can be accepted to the masters program after applying (and not interviewing) to the teacher's college PhD programs.

unofficial invitation from POI - interview day 3/14. official email to come.

Just got an email from Nova Southeastern for an interview day on March 10. Yay!! I was starting to think that I wasn't going to hear from them - but I'm happy to be invited. BTW does anyone know if Nova Southeastern have a host program? Either that or the location of cheap hotel nearby? I'm on a tight budget ><

Just got an interview invite for University of Hartford's Psy.D program (e-mail). Interviews are the next three fridays.

I'm back and the list is updated! :) Well, not technically back yet but I have internet access. Let me know if I neglected to put any schools on the list! Hope yalls interviews are going well!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.