OFFICIAL 2008 Interview Invite Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GOOD LUCK THIS WEEK EVERYBODY :) I think this could be a big week for invites :)

Members don't see this ad.

Invites for the School Psych Ph.d. at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee were sent through email this morning :)

so i just noticed that UIC has contacted someone - does anyone have any more info? like the date of the interview, etc.
Thanks!! good luck this week to everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to make a friendly request to people to fill out the SDN interview reports after they go for interviews. It's under the databases tab, or right here http://share.studentdoctor.net/interviewpsych/index.asp. This can be super helpful to people in coming years.

(actually I just love reading negative reviews of sites!)

I didn't get an official interview, but a very nice response from one of the adcoms.

Kent State is will be having interviews Feb 8-9 and Feb 21-22.

Interview date is February 8th.

I just heard from UCSB, by phone (thanks for giving my hope Duckygirl)- apparently their interviews are 1/18 or 1/19, and I think they were previously posted as 2/18, 2/19. Yay!

Psychapp- did you get an invite? Was it via phone or email, just wondering...

I'd like to make a friendly request to people to fill out the SDN interview reports after they go for interviews. It's under the databases tab, or right here http://share.studentdoctor.net/interviewpsych/index.asp. This can be super helpful to people in coming years.

(actually I just love reading negative reviews of sites!)

I just made an update to the first post to include the link, thanks!

-p

Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I'll shoot anyway:
I've been preparing for interviews by looking over potential interview questions (many of them posted by SDNers-- thank you!) and there are two questions that I'd like some input on

1)Did you apply to your undergrad prog? Why would a prof ask this, and what does it matter if you applied to ur undergrad prog?
2)Why did you get a C+ :eek:in this course--what are prof's "looking" for when they ask this question? What's an acceptable reason to get such a grade?
3) What are examples of appropriate "weaknesses" to list?

1) Because, for better or worse, many professors see it as "academic inbreeding" to stay in the same lab for undergrad and grad school. In cases where people didn't apply to many schools, it could also a proxy of how serious the student is, whether they are applying to places that are best for them, or applying to places that are "comfortable" or "someplace nice" Of course, this isn't even on the "problem" radar for some folks, whereas others see it as a huge deal - there is a great deal of variability. I wouldn't fret over it too much though, what's done is done and as long as you have a good explanation for why your undergrad provided opportunities that weren't available elsewhere, its incredibly far down the list of things that will get you accepted or not (at least at other schools, I assume if the professor at your undergrad feels this way it would cause problems!), even for professors who do think applying to your undergrad is a bad idea.

2) Obviously depends on the prof. Overall, I would hazard a guess that they are looking for you to take responsibility for your actions. In other words, an applicant who responds "Because the professor was a jerk" likely kills his chances, whereas one who says something like "It was a really hard topic for me, and my grade may not show it but I feel I learned a great deal from the class, and have since gone on to do x and y related to the class and excelled at it" would get a gold star.

3) Depends entirely on the person. Don't lie because you don't necessarily know what your LOR writers said, and contradicting them would raise eyebrows. Of course, that can happen anyways since they may view your weaknesses differently from you, but I think its more likely to happen if you lie. I think the most important thing isn't what weakness you choose, but how you frame it. Someone who says "I'm a terrible writer. I mean really, really bad. My writing is completely incomprehensible, you can't even understand my emails, let alone a paper. Sometimes people think English is my second or third language, but its not. I mean, I know what I mean, right? If other people don't understand, that's their problem." is in trouble, whereas "I've struggled with writing throughout college because I sometimes have troubles organizing my thoughts in a way that makes them clear to others. I took a writing class and signed up for some writing workshops to help overcome this. Its an ongoing process, but I think my writing has come along way and I'm hoping I can continue to improve as a graduate student" is in good shape.

Obviously, extreme examples, but I think they illustrate my point. Its not the topic so much as the explanation that I think faculty look for.

Though of course, I still wouldn't say "I have no people skills" or "Numbers scare me" or something like that when applying to a clinical program;)

Did anyone here apply to Guelph or York last year? Any idea of when they started doing invites?

Oh, I hate waiting, especially since the rest of my app's aren't due till next week. My focus is more on checking my email and this site rather than completing them :(

Hey WaitingKills. I have a friend who's at York now... Her interview was February 19th last year. I think she was notified of the interview a week or two before that, though. I'm guessing they notify in early/mid February. Not sure about Guelph.

Good luck on your remaining apps!

Hey WaitingKills. I have a friend who's at York now... Her interview was February 19th last year. I think she was notified of the interview a week or two before that, though. I'm guessing they notify in early/mid February. Not sure about Guelph.

Good luck on your remaining apps!

Thanks for the info :)

So I can rest easy for a little bit... ahhh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to York last year, be warned they are not terribly on top of their stuff - they were one of the schools that I didn't hear anything from until May, at which point I found out that almost all of their spots were reserved for internal folks who were doing their master's at york. Some fantastic researchers there though, and it seems like a solid program academically even if that administration doesn't have their act together.

Best of luck:)

Did anyone here apply to Guelph or York last year?

I applied to York last year. I didn't hear anything, and heard later that last year they took all or nearly all students from within their own program. (Not 100% sure if that's true, but I was annoyed :p)

Edit: Just read Ollie's post. Guess what I heard was correct. Grr. Wasted application. I'm very surprised by that, given that I know that Canadian funding agencies are strongly biased against funding people who did their entire course of education at one institution. I don't think that's helpful for the students they did end up taking.

I think it might be because it was within the master's program, and not keeping people on from undergrad. So its kinda "continuing" like you do at most PhD programs here where you just kind of get a master's en route, though you have to go through the lovely application process we all found so endearing the first time around again - a goofy system in my eyes, but c'est la vie.

Louisiana State University - LSU (invite via phone and e-mail, interview 3/7)

This is confusing...

From the LSU website: "Applications will be accepted for Fall 2008 until the January 15, 2008 deadline."

The deadline had not even passed, how can interviews have gone out?

Could you please only post the school if in fact an interview had been granted? Maybe they have??

Thanks!

This is confusing...

From the LSU website: "Applications will be accepted for Fall 2008 until the January 15, 2008 deadline."

The deadline had not even passed, how can interviews have gone out?

Could you please only post the school if in fact an interview had been granted? Maybe they have??

Thanks!

I am only listing programs that have extended invites. Is there more than one program or track at LSU? Perhaps they have separate deadlines or it's rolling interview invites?

OK thanks.

FYI--I just called the LSU, Clinical Psychology (PhD) had NOT extended invites and the deadline is 1/15.

Must be another track?

OK thanks.

FYI--I just called the LSU, Clinical Psychology (PhD) had NOT extended invites and the deadline is 1/15.

Must be another track?
Not the school psych track either for LSU deadline is Jan 15th as well.

I was just invited via a personally addressed email from the DCT (so emailing may take time) to the University of Arkansas for an interview. This is for the Clinical Ph.D. program and the interview date is January 28th.

Congrats!!!

**FYI** LSU Clinical Psych PhD *DID* extend one invite. Got some more info - the person submitted the app very early (before Dec 1) and was invited in December to an interview in March.

I got an email from Univ of Miami Florida (health clinical psych) for an interview Feb 1-2.

I am so excited :D

OK thanks.

Must be another track?
Sorry for the confusion - I think blindchaos already wrote about this, but I submitted my application to LSU's Clinical Psych PhD by December 1st [all my other apps were due around then so I didn't see the point in waiting] and I *DID* receive an invite mid-December via phone and E-mail from my POI. I know the deadline isn't until January 15th, which is why I was EXTREMELY shocked to have heard back since they said they wouldn't respond until after then, but... I don't know. Perhaps they invited me early so I could get cheap air fare? Haha.

Rumor has it that LSU was waiting until January 15th so that everyone who applied to Ohio State would have time to withdraw their applications and use the money to apply to LSU! :laugh: Unbelieveable, how many national championships can a school blow in the span of a year and a half? Xlittlemissalix was clearly recruited early to serve as a back-up player.:laugh: I hear that Jim Tressel has even decided to apply to LSU clinical program so that he can help OSU out of its state of depression.

I got an email from Univ of Miami Florida (health clinical psych) for an interview Feb 1-2.

I am so excited :D

That's awesome! Congrats!! Do you know if all three divisions notify their interviewees at the same time?

That's awesome! Congrats!! Do you know if all three divisions notify their interviewees at the same time?
I don't know. I doubt it though because the email is from the admissions chair for the health division (who doesn't look to be the same for the others). It does say that students from the adult and child division will be interviewing on the same day, but that it is.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Which track are you applying to?

Is it alright if I make a request?

BlindChaos you are doing a fabulous job! But would it be possible when you are updating the invite list to make a note of which schools you just added? I don't know if this would be an excessive amount of work, and if it is don't worry about it. It'll just be easier than looking through the list and trying to remember which ones were already posted and which ones are the new ones you just listed.

For example (schools totally irrelavent)-

2 new schools added (CMU and BU) at 1:43 on Jan 9th...

Again, if this is big drama totally don't worry about it. :D

Not a problem :) I will start doing that whenever a new school needs to be added to the list (I would say today but there haven't been any additions yet today!)

Awww I spoke too soon! Just as I posted that, a new school was ready to go on the list :p Take a look at the original post, let me know what ya think!

Not a problem :) I will start doing that whenever a new school needs to be added to the list (I would say today but there haven't been any additions yet today!)

Thanks so much BC, I appreciate it :)

For what it is worth Blindchaos, last year I just put the new schools in italics and removed it every Friday. I am not sure if that will help or not. You are doing a great job!

Hi everyone,

I just received an interview invite (via email) from my POI from the University of Arizona-Tucson's clinical program. The interview will be from 02/15 to 02/16! Yay! :)

Just received an interview invite (via email) for ASU's clinical PH.d program. Interview dates Feb. 8th and 11th

I'm assuming ASU = Arizona State?

Also FYI, for now I'll be putting new schools in italics (a la Irish) for the week they are added on and writing which schools are added that day (a la Waiting Kills).

SO...if a school is added on a Monday, it will appear in italics AND will be in the typed update at the bottom of the post. On Tuesday (and for the rest of that week) that school will still be in italics but it will not be in the typed update. That way when people are looking for what schools were just added five minutes ago, they don't have to try and remember what was in italics before and what new italics have been added. Hope that helps :)

Also...just noticed I might have missed one....PsychApp - did Emory send out invites? I couldn't tell as it was right after the Kent State post that was just informational regarding when interviews are. If they have actually sent out invites, let me know and I'll add them, otherwise it'll remain off the list. Thanks!

One more thing (sorry, I'm scatter brained today!) do the schools in italics stand out to yall? I was just looking at it and it blends in a bit more than I thought it would...I could underline it rather than italics or something like that to make it easier to find new schools. Let me know what you think! :)

The SDSU/UCSD Joint Degree program will be hosting interviews Feb 25 and 26. As far as I know, invitations have not yet been extended.

Oh wow, sorry, yeah Arizona State University.

Hi everyone,

I just received an interview invite (via email) from my POI from the University of Arizona-Tucson's clinical program. The interview will be from 02/15 to 02/16! Yay! :)

Ahh, my dream school that didn't want me! haha. Congratulations, I'm quite jealous.

Just received an interview invite (via email) for ASU's clinical PH.d program. Interview dates Feb. 8th and 11th

Congratulations! Their campus is one of the most lively I've ever seen. There's a fantastic Ethiopian restaurant on W University Drive called Cafe Lalibela if you're into that sort of thing. The best I've ever had.

Good luck, Arizona people!

Are you keeping a comprehensive list of confirmed invites somewhere other than this thread? How can I find it?

Are you keeping a comprehensive list of confirmed invites somewhere other than this thread? How can I find it?

Just look at the first post on the first page of this thread. That's where BC is keeping the comprehensive list.

did Emory send out invites?

I work at Emory, and have personal relationships with some POIs. I cant speak for all but the specific person Im thinking of right now has not called anyone yet.

I was just invited via a personally addressed email from the DCT (so emailing may take time) to the University of Arkansas for an interview. This is for the Clinical Ph.D. program and the interview date is January 28th.

I also applied there, if you don't mind me asking, what POI are you interested in working with?

I haven't heard anyone talk about UAB (Medical/Clinical Program), but I thought that I would add this bit of information in case there is someone waiting to hear from them. They have not yet extended invitations for interviews but will be very shortly. Their interview date will be Feb. 18. Good luck everybody! I remember the nervousness quite well. :D

I just received an invitation for an interview at Penn State. I missed the call, but I should be getting in contact with the professor by tomorrow. I'm very excited!

I received a phone call from my POI yesterday from Alabama for a pre-interview phone call, interviews are on Feb 1st (main day) and Feb 2nd.

USC- I rec'd an email from my POI about a pre-interview phone call occurring sometime next week. The interview date is Feb 18th and invitations will be going out next week.

I haven't heard anyone talk about UAB (Medical/Clinical Program), but I thought that I would add this bit of information in case there is someone waiting to hear from them. They have not yet extended invitations for interviews but will be very shortly. Their interview date will be Feb. 18. Good luck everybody! I remember the nervousness quite well. :D

thanks for the info. I am waiting/hoping to hear from UAB. (fingers remain crossed)

I received a phone call from my POI yesterday from Alabama for a pre-interview phone call, interviews are on Feb 1st (main day) and Feb 2nd.

USC- I rec'd an email from my POI about a pre-interview phone call occurring sometime next week. The interview date is Feb 18th and invitations will be going out next week.

Alabama was a fun interview, even though I didn't get in... definitely loved the place... the psychology building is a trip! It has 1/2 floors... You'll see. I had wanted to work with Dr. Thorn there... overall I really liked the dept, Good Luck!

Mark

thanks for the info. I am waiting/hoping to hear from UAB. (fingers remain crossed)

Thanks! I was hoping to hear from them soon too. Goodluck RileyG!!

Status
Not open for further replies.