OFFICIAL 2008 Interview Invite Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an email from a Graduate School from one of my programs telling me that they are "pleased to inform me that they have forwarded my application to the Department for review." --they wished me luck during this process.

That's really good news, no?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email from a Graduate School from one of my programs telling me that they are "pleased to inform me that they have forwarded my application to the Department for review." --they wished me luck during this process.

That just means that your application is complete and the graduate school is sending it over to the actual department, along with all the other complete applications, to be considered. So the good news is that your application and materials made it there so now it will be considered with the other complete applications.

Graduate schools and departments have different relationships depending on the University. Some departments are completely autonomous and some rely more on the Graduate School to do the paper work.

Everything except invite letters, acceptance letters, and rejection letters are neutral news. Kind of like checking for a pulse.

Invite letters typically mean you have a 25% or greater chance at getting accepted.
Acceptance letters mean you definitely have a spot.
Rejection letters mean you definitely don't have a spot.

Wait lists and everything else is just neutral and ambiguous. Still having your application in the review pile is better than it being lost in the mail!

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
I would argue that waitlists are not neutral. Most of my cohort was waitlisted first.

I would argue that waitlists are not neutral. Most of my cohort was waitlisted first.

They are a crapshoot though, since I know people who were #2's at multiple places and didn't get in, since the person ahead accepted the spot (Ph.D). Other places go pretty deep into their list. I was on a couple short lists and missed both. *grumbles*

-t

I just got an email from University of Southern California (child track, clinical ph.d) inviting me for an interview on January 11th. Man, they don't give you much notice for these things do they?!

I just got an email from University of Southern California (child track, clinical ph.d) inviting me for an interview on January 11th. Man, they don't give you much notice for these things do they?!

Congrats on the interview!

That's way more notice than a lot of schools give, haha.

Just as a heads up, with many deadlines being in Dec, it will take a bit for interviews to come out....but when they do, they tend to come in bunches. Many people interview in mid to late January, then some in Feb, and some in March....so you have time.

With April 1st being when most programs need to notify by....there is still PLENTY of time for interviews!

-t

I think this thread is a great idea, but so far we have like 4 invites and 50+ posts. How would folks feel about a thread that was simply interview invites ONLY (i.e this thread) and another thread that was more like "Help I'm freaking out," or "I have a question about...?” I think that way it may be easier to sift through interviews versus other question.

Congrats, though are always welcome!

Thoughts?

Personally, I'm fine with it either way. I check it very regularly (hellooooo procrastination) so thus far it isn't difficult to pull out the interviews to post them in the original post though I know there will be a big boom in January. I think this thread is bound to be very lengthy regardless as some people will post replies to those posting interviews (ie: who contacted you? Who is your POI? When did you hear? etc). The '08 application vent thread is sort of the 'help i'm freaking out' (or mad at ETS) thread. Anyway, whatever yall prefer is fine, just thought I'd throw my two cents in there :)

Has anyone heard from Greensboro (Counseling Psychology)? Do they have interview?

I think this thread is a great idea, but so far we have like 4 invites and 50+ posts. How would folks feel about a thread that was simply interview invites ONLY (i.e this thread) and another thread that was more like "Help I'm freaking out," or "I have a question about...?” I think that way it may be easier to sift through interviews versus other question.

Congrats, though are always welcome!

Thoughts?

Personally, I have never been a big one for setting up rules for a thread, and knowing how it went last year from moderating the list I think it is going to go where it goes anyway with people asking whatever they are asking. That is why you really need a person who is on-top of it managing the list so you know when you see that list that that is everything that is in the thread, and I think blindchaos is the right person for that.

Regardless of what we say we will still have the flipping out posts, congratulatory posts, etc but try not to let them bother you too much, if you haven't been here for a while, just look at the main list at the first post in the thread.

That being said, it would be good to try to limit discussion to interviews just so people get the answers that they need. If you ask about your personal statement here it may not get the reply it deserves because people aren't looking for it or aren't going through this thread due to blindchaos' excellent work.

Congrats on the interview!

That's way more notice than a lot of schools give, haha.

Wow, really? That doesn't bode well for getting reasonable flight prices, but oh well, I'm just very happy to get an interview. And thank you for the congratulations.

The only bummer is that my boyfriend booked a special trip that weekend for our 5 yr anniversary and I don't know if I'll be able to reschedule the interview. I never thought they would be held in EARLY January. Eek. Have any of you had any luck rescheduling interviews? Does it come across as being rude or uninterested in the program if you ask to reschedule? I sure hope not....

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, really? That doesn't bode well for getting reasonable flight prices, but oh well, I'm just very happy to get an interview. And thank you for the congratulations.

The only bummer is that my boyfriend booked a special trip that weekend for our 5 yr anniversary and I don't know if I'll be able to reschedule the interview. I never thought they would be held in EARLY January. Eek. Have any of you had any luck rescheduling interviews? Does it come across as being rude or uninterested in the program if you ask to reschedule? I sure hope not....

If it's one of your top choices, I wouldn't reschedule. If it's just a backup, then I'd chance it (well actually I wouldn't since I'm an angry cat lady, but I can be sensitive to the fact that some people still like relationships :laugh:) It depends on the program, some places take it personally and others are pretty flexible.

....well actually I wouldn't since I'm an angry cat lady, but I can be sensitive to the fact that some people still like relationships

:laugh:

I had a GREAT relationship during grad school....it was just me, my DSM-IV, and my books. Sometimes the books got jealous of my DSM-IV because of the amount of time I spent with it, but they knew that I still had room for them too!

-t

:laugh:

I had a GREAT relationship during grad school....it was just me, my DSM-IV, and my books. Sometimes the books got jealous of my DSM-IV because of the amount of time I spent with it, but they knew that I still had room for them too!

-t

:laugh: Now THAT is the kind of relationship I can handle.

Yeah, it probably wasn't a great reason to reschedule, but since he has spent about a month planning the weekend and it's non-refundable, and the school isn't in my top3, I would have felt like a pretty crappy person if I didn't at least try to reschedule.

My POI was really nice about it, and I'm going to be doing a phone interview in Jan and then visit in February when they will apparently have another interview day (I believe the 11th).

Has anyone ever heard of schools having two different (by at least a few weeks) interview dates before? Is this typical?

Sorry to clog this thread.

Some schools do offer two interview dates, though I would say it is not the norm.

I personally would never reschedule ...
I've met enough people who have done that , and then lost their spot :( (not me I haven't even applied yet)
But there's enough peope I know (5 people) that that's happened to. If you want to go there, don't reschedule. The interview may determine what path you take, where you get in; the trip with your boyfriend won't.
Just my 2 cents.

I personally would never reschedule ...
I've met enough people who have done that , and then lost their spot :( (not me I haven't even applied yet)
But there's enough peope I know (5 people) that that's happened to. If you want to go there, don't reschedule. The interview may determine what path you take, where you get in; the trip with your boyfriend won't.
Just my 2 cents.

I do agree with you that if one really wants to attend a school, then every effort should be made to go on a personal interview. However, I am not 100% convinced that one time for a visit increases one's chances as opposed to another time. Many schools offer two (or even more) official times to visit (groups of candidates are invited) from which a candidate may choose. Some smaller programs, probably non-clinical, actuallty may invite one person to come for a personal visit. I have never heard anyone argue that, if given a choice of two slots that one should choose one over the other (i.e. a Feb. spot over a March spot). Also, there are many people who actually get accepted by missing personal interviews entirely and just have a phone interview (or schools like Yale which supposed only have phone interviews). The five people who you know who rescheduled (I am not exactly sure what you specifically mean by rescheduling - they had set one visitation and called to cancel?) may have been rejected because they rescheduled. Yet, they may have been rejected even if they had not rescheduled. I do not see how this can be proved one way or the other unless there is additional information from the admissions committee stating that the candidate was in fact rejected for rescheduling. Without this information, to postulate that reschedulung leads to rejection is mere speculation, or unless a school states that one must visit and never does. Of course, I am not so sure that any reason at all should be given for rescheduling or how specific one should be (stating that one is not coming on one date because a better interview came up does not sound good, but explaining that one wants a change because another school only offers one date to interview while this school offers two makes sense for a change since it would enable a visit to both schools). All schools must realize that candidates are considering many schools and realize that scheduling interviews comes into play. They also must realize that candidates have lives and things come up such as bad weather, job obligations, births, injuries, weddings, illness, and deaths which require people to be elsewhere on specific dates. Just some thoughts. Again, I do completely agree that one should do his/ her best to visit and not play games but do not believe that changes necessarily prevent one from being accepted.

Oh man, i remember checking this thread 5 times a day last year (if not mroe). Good luck everyone!! :luck:

*IMPORTANT NOTE: If you do not get an interview offer when everyone else does, there is still hope. For example, when I applied to Northern Illinois University last year, most people in this forum were contacted 2 weeks before I was e-mailed about coming to an interview. I had already scratched NIU off my list of possibilities, and was shocked to hear from them 2 weeks later. Although this is generally an exception, do not lose all hope! Hang in there!!

I second that!

(please ignore the fact that I've stated about a billion times on here that I hate my program. The point is still a valid one, regardless...)

I heard nothing from quite a few schools for a long time. Then on April 13th or something crazy like that I got a message on my machine saying something like "congratulations you're off the waitinglist and have an offer in the mail." No interview or anything.

The worst feeling is when everyone around you is getting interviews (especially to the schools you applied to) and you're hearing nothing. But no news can be good news. Don't give up hope if you don't hear anything in January, February, or even March. It can still happen.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the input. I will try not to clog the thread with posts not directly about an interview, but I do appreciate the feedback about rescheduling. My POI ended up calling me about two weeks ago asking about whether I could make it for interviews. I mentioned that I had a committment the weekend of interviews, and whether there was any equally convenient alternate date. I stressed that I was committed to visiting in person, and that I would find a way to get there if it was an inconvenience to switch my visit.

Anyhow, she said that I could do a phone interview in Jan and then visit in person in February on their other interview date (I guess they have two, weird). I got the impression that this wasn't a huge problem. I really, really hope this won't put me at a disadvantage, as many of you on this board seem to think it will. She seemed to be pretty laid back about it, so I hope this is one of the schools that won't take it too personally....

One more has been added to the list - check it out! January is almost here!!! (and is already here for some, depending on where you live. I think there are some aussies on here somewhere...Happy New Years Aussies!!!)

how did yeshiva extend their invitation? mail? phone? also - i did not see that they have a separate child track.

Yeshiva has a School-Clinical Child Psyd Program. They are extending invites via email.

Happy New Year!

Has yeshiva already started extending invites?

Yes, the child program has started to extend invites via e-mail. It is on the list :)

Rumor has it that Barbara Streisand is applying to this program at Yeshiva University under the name Yentl! :laugh: She will be putting on her early 19th century style European clothes, dressing up like a man (she does not seem to realize that clinical programs accept more women than men), and will be interrupting the visitation day activities and interviews to bust into song. "Papa can you here me?" :laugh:

SDSU/UCSD joint doctoral program interview dates are Feb. 25 and 26. This is for clinical PHD.

Have they started to extend invites?

edit: I ask b/c I'm only putting schools who have started to extend invites on the list rather than just listing all interview dates for all schools (some schools provide this info on their website)

UC Berkeley 'invite weekend' is on the Feb 22 weekend as well. I may be incorrect in saying this, but it is my strong suspicion that schools will be looking at apps in the next 2 weeks and extending invites around the 3rd to 4th week in Jan.

am I right?

Please specify if you (or someone you know) has received an invite from SDSU/UCSD and UCB. It kind of sounds like it's strictly information as to when interviews are held and not an indication that invites have gone out, but please let me know either way so I can keep an accurate list.

(Same goes for anyone discussing interview dates on this thread - just state if you know that invites have gone out or not)

This will help me out a ton - thank you!!!

Please specify if you (or someone you know) has received an invite from SDSU/UCSD and UCB. It kind of sounds like it's strictly information as to when interviews are held and not an indication that invites have gone out, but please let me know either way so I can keep an accurate list.

(Same goes for anyone discussing interview dates on this thread - just state if you know that invites have gone out or not)

This will help me out a ton - thank you!!!

I am certain that invites have NOT gone out for UC Berkeley applicants. The Berkeley website posted the dates for the 'invite weekend' and encouraged applicants to save the date.

Apologies for confusion.

Got an email invite to interview at Florida State. Interviews are Feb 1 and 2. I think invitations are going out this week!

Got an email invite to interview at Florida State. Interviews are Feb 1 and 2. I think invitations are going out this week!

Congratulations!! I applied there myself and you just got me so nervoussss.. :scared:

UC Berkeley 'invite weekend' is on the Feb 22 weekend as well. I may be incorrect in saying this, but it is my strong suspicion that schools will be looking at apps in the next 2 weeks and extending invites around the 3rd to 4th week in Jan.

am I right?

I was thinking the same thing

Got a phone invite for Univ of Connecticut's clinical program. Interview dates are 1/30 and 2/13. Good luck everyone!!

I just got a phone call from UC Santa Barbara's CCSP program. hell yeah! :D I applied for clinical. interviews are feb. 18th and 19th.

Congrats everybody! The list has grown by 4 schools since yesterday morning!!! :D Now if only some of my schools were on the list....ah well - the waiting game continues :) Congrats to everyone who has an intervew already!!!

Heh, I'm not even applying this year and the whole prospect of interviewing is making me sooooooo nervous. GAHHH!
But congrats congrats to everyone who has an interview. WOO HOO for you :O) I am very proud.

Oh man, congrats on the interview at Santa Barbara!!

I applied for the clinical program there too
:(.....for those of you who might have experience, does anyone know if school's tend to call applicants with invitations all at once, or do I still have a chance of being contacted?

Based on what I've heard from others, you definitely still have a chance. Sometimes people hear from the same program days or even weeks apart. Keep in mind we're still in the very early stages of invites so there is LOADS of time left.

Thanks, that's really good to know!

evCongrats to those who got invites from schools.
Applying was one thing but now I realize waiting is really hard too!!
I'm trying to keep myself busy so that I won't be checking my e-mail, SDN, or my cell every 10 minutes to see if I got anything!! Good luck everyone!:)

Oh man, congrats on the interview at Santa Barbara!!

I applied for the clinical program there too
:(.....for those of you who might have experience, does anyone know if school's tend to call applicants with invitations all at once, or do I still have a chance of being contacted?

Lindz,
It's true. It is so different for every school, and it depends on who does the inviting. At some schools, the professors invite their top candidates personally, and at others, it is done by the department, either extended by the department assistant or sometimes the clinical director or something like that. Furthermore, schools often do not invite all candidates at the same time. If it's a professor doing the inviting, it's quite possible they might contact one candidate and then spend another few days deliberating over which other ones to choose for an interview. Or, sometimes departments will send out interview invites in veritable waves. This causes a great deal of angst among forum users who are waiting to hear about interview invites at a school they applied to; a few people on the board will post they were offered interviews at a school, and then several people will write how disappointed they are that they didn't receive an invite, maybe it wasn't meant to be, blah blah blah...and then- BAM! They get an invite a few days or sometimes even weeks later. There really is no science or rule to how schools invite applicants.
Don't forget too, the possibility of being invited even if all of the invites have gone out. Nearly every program has candidates turn down interviews because 1) they can't make it for financial reasons 2) they have too many other interviews to attend and school X no longer appeals to them, or 3) They already have an interview scheduled on that day. There's still hope even if you don't necessarily get the very first invite.

Hey Ducky girl, thanks so much for the useful information. I was hoping that things were as variable and prof.-dependent as you mentioned, so it's definitely reassuring to hear. And hopefully now that you've talked about it people won't be as likely to freak out when they see a school that they have applied to mentioned in this thread.

Beyond that, I'm going to try very hard not to take it too personally if I don't get invited for an interview (especially from schools I thought were likely to call)--since I'm learning from this forum that so many variables are at play and the selection process is, in many ways, random.

Thanks again!

I received my invitation to attend the interview for the Clinical Psychology Psy.D program at LaSalle University via email on Jan. 3rd. The interview is on Jan. 28th.

good luck everyone!

Missed this. Congrats - great school!

Lang and Joiner are among my heroes:)

Status
Not open for further replies.