Official 2009 FAP Verification Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Little Etoile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people are wondering what the timeline is for FAP verification. Let's start a thread to help out. List the date you submitted the documents to finalize your application (i.e. the date you faxed your tax forms) and the date you were verified.

Little Etoile: Submitted: 6/6 Verified: TBD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Once documents are received for FAP it can take up to 3-5 business days for the documents to be marked received. Once all documents are in it can take up to 15 business days for a decision to be made.

Once documents are received for FAP it can take up to 3-5 business days for the documents to be marked received. Once all documents are in it can take up to 15 business days for a decision to be made.

Right. *Up to* 15 business days days. There is variance. This thread is intended to monitor and gauge that variance.

Members don't see this ad :)
i mailed my documents on 5/28.
called today 6/6 and FAP still doesn't have them marked as received. I'm beginning to worry that maybe USPS screwed up and didn't send them because I was stupid enough to not do delivery confirmation.

Hey guys,
Take a deep breath and relax, because the AAMC is not very fast when it comes to accepting documents. It's always like this, when it comes to FAP, when it comes to transcripts, and everything.
I'm wondering why you guys are so late with FAP when it was open back in January anyways :D

Hey guys,
Take a deep breath and relax, because the AAMC is not very fast when it comes to accepting documents. It's always like this, when it comes to FAP, when it comes to transcripts, and everything.
I'm wondering why you guys are so late with FAP when it was open back in January anyways :D

i received FAP for the MCAT last summer and I could've sworn that i read somewhere on the website in the winter that my FAP will carry over to this application cycle... However, they seem to have changed things around. When I applied they did not have the online application as far as i can remember

When I sent my FAP in for this cycle, it took them a week to get back to me to let me know that I had been approved.

Applied: Late March
Submitted application: May 2nd (needed parents' tax forms)
Approved: May 15th

i applied when my taxes were done some point in march and it took about a week

I *just* realized that I am eligible. I misread the required criteria, but then saw a qualified FAP member's post referring to their income level which was much higher than mine so I looked into it again. I was just hours away from turning in my primary. I'm glad I saw the post in time!

SDN to the rescue again! :love:

(Only wish I had known about it for last cycle... or the cycle before... or the MCAT before... or the MCAT this time... hahahaha.)

did u get it done yet

Yup. I faxed everything in the same day I found out. :)

you can fax it in?!?!?! to waht number??? oh man.. im worried they didnt get my info, i sent it 5/28 and i want to resend.. can you tell me where to find the fax number?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got same day service. Had all my OTs in, submitted 10 am on june 4, got an email it was verified at 3 pm the same day.

And everyone says amcas is so slow. Let me guess, getting into med school is easy too!

I got same day service. Had all my OTs in, submitted 10 am on june 4, got an email it was verified at 3 pm the same day.

And everyone says amcas is so slow. Let me guess, getting into med school is easy too!

"OT's"???? are you saying you got FAP approval within one day?!

I submitted on the 27th of may, and was verified by june 4th shipped via priority mail. :p

I did mine back in January and was improved within a week I think.

you can fax it in?!?!?! to waht number??? oh man.. im worried they didnt get my info, i sent it 5/28 and i want to resend.. can you tell me where to find the fax number?

:eek::eek::eek:

Oh no! Once again I misread. I faxed it but it does say to mail it. GAH! I'll call on Monday to see if by some chance they accepted it by fax. SO LAME.

was accepted sometime in early may right after i got mcat score back.

so after my original documents which i sent out on 5/28 got lost in the mail, i faxed them today and they are now "submitted and pending verification"... its progress! haha now i just hope they get it done before july.. god i hope it wont be too bad if i submit at the end of june...

You can fax your FAP documents to 202 828 1120.

a couple of days ago, my status finally changed to:

Your FAP application has been submitted and is currently awaiting review....

I'm getting frustrated because if it's going to take 15 business days from the date that they recieved the last documentation, it might not be worth it for me. My grades are border line, and I absolutely need to be verified ASAP, and I cannot submit my app to be verified unless the FAP decision is made (unless I want to submit and pay the full price).

I initially submitted the FAP 3 weeks ago, but my status changed only 2 days ago since they were waiting for a document.

any advice would be appreciated:):luck:

yes! yes! yes!! FAP approved today! documents received 6/9!! yes!@ soooooo happy!!!!

i don't understand why it's taking so long...it's been under review since the 7th...and it's been officially submitted for weeks...this doesn't make any sense...i can't begin verifying until the dam thing is accepted or denied...

i don't understand why it's taking so long...it's been under review since the 7th...and it's been officially submitted for weeks...this doesn't make any sense...i can't begin verifying until the dam thing is accepted or denied...

When you say "officially submitted" does that include all the required supplementary documents? They say it can take three to five business days after receiving documents for it to be entered in the system at which point your application is considered complete. It then takes an additional fifteen business days (three weeks) after that for you to be approved or denied. In other words, the total time from submitting all required documents (not including travel time for the mail) can take up to one month.

So either they lagged in marking your app complete if, indeed, you submitted everything weeks ago and only finally marked it complete on the 7th, or you only recently submitted them, had them marked received on the 7th and are thus still in the three week waiting window.

If it is the former and it's their error, I would call them and complain. It might help expedite your application. It certainly couldn't hurt.

I submitted on the 6th- including all financial documents- documents were marked received on the 11th, and my application is still under review.

Maybe you should call them. When I got the notification that my FAP was under review and awaiting approval, it got approved 3-4 days later.

When you say "officially submitted" does that include all the required supplementary documents? They say it can take three to five business days after receiving documents for it to be entered in the system at which point your application is considered complete. It then takes an additional fifteen business days (three weeks) after that for you to be approved or denied. In other words, the total time from submitting all required documents (not including travel time for the mail) can take up to one month.

So either they lagged in marking your app complete if, indeed, you submitted everything weeks ago and only finally marked it complete on the 7th, or you only recently submitted them, had them marked received on the 7th and are thus still in the three week waiting window.

If it is the former and it's their error, I would call them and complain. It might help expedite your application. It certainly couldn't hurt.

I submitted on the 6th- including all financial documents- documents were marked received on the 11th, and my application is still under review.

I submitted all the paperwork aboout 3 weeks ago, but only till the 7th till they put it under review. I called them - you're right, it takes up to 15 business days from the day it's marked "under review". The lady said that they make the decisions in the order the app was marked "under review". There are people that went under review AFTER the 7th, and they already have a decision.

It's just annoying as hell. I was ready to submit my primary over two weeks ago. It isn't rocket science they're doing; It's a dam FAP application that's been with them for weeks.

Did you ask why it took so long for your documents to be marked received? If you turned them in three weeks ago, say the 26th for good measure, they should have been marked received by the 2nd at the very latest. Now, if you're saying you sent them off on the 26th, and you're from the west coast and it takes five days through the mail, then the 7th sounds about right. Still a little slow on their part, but it still falls within the range.

Point is, if the documents were *received* by them three weeks ago, then I would call up and speak with someone about the delay and see if you can have your app expedited. They didn't hold up their end of the bargain and shouldn't be penalized because of that.

The lady said that they make the decisions in the order the app was marked "under review". There are people that went under review AFTER the 7th, and they already have a decision.

Wait- so you were marked "under review" on the 7th, she told you that people are reviewed in the order that they were marked "under review", and yet people who were marked "under review" *after* the 7th are already approved and you have not been? Well then something is wrong with this picture. I'm not sure where the error is, but that seems a little weird.

And yeah, I feel your pain. I was getting ready to submit on the 5th when I found out that I qualify for FAP. As grateful as I am for the financial assistance, it sucks that my app is now held up. I am a re-applicant and I did everything in my power to submit early this year. And yet here I am, delayed again. *grumble grumble* Like you said, it seems like it shouldn't take that long to make a decision on an app. It's a simple calculation, right? Add income 1 + income 2 + income n.... multiply by three, then see if that falls within the 300% poverty line range. Seems pretty easy to me. Plus I would think that at this point, most people would have been smart enough (haha) to turn in their FAP app months ago so there should be a lower volume. *shrug* I dunno.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Did you ask why it took so long for your documents to be marked received? If you turned them in three weeks ago, say the 26th for good measure, they should have been marked received by the 2nd at the very latest. Now, if you're saying you sent them off on the 26th, and you're from the west coast and it takes five days through the mail, then the 7th sounds about right. Still a little slow on their part, but it still falls within the range.

Point is, if the documents were *received* by them three weeks ago, then I would call up and speak with someone about the delay and see if you can have your app expedited. They didn't hold up their end of the bargain and shouldn't be penalized because of that.

Wait- so you were marked "under review" on the 7th, she told you that people are reviewed in the order that they were marked "under review", and yet people who were marked "under review" *after* the 7th are already approved and you have not been? Well then something is wrong with this picture. I'm not sure where the error is, but that seems a little weird.

And yeah, I feel your pain. I was getting ready to submit on the 5th when I found out that I qualify for FAP. As grateful as I am for the financial assistance, it sucks that my app is now held up. I am a re-applicant and I did everything in my power to submit early this year. And yet here I am, delayed again. *grumble grumble* Like you said, it seems like it shouldn't take that long to make a decision on an app. It's a simple calculation, right? Add income 1 + income 2 + income n.... multiply by three, then see if that falls within the 300% poverty line range. Seems pretty easy to me. Plus I would think that at this point, most people would have been smart enough (haha) to turn in their FAP app months ago so there should be a lower volume. *shrug* I dunno.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

I FINALLY got approved today... not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I called to ask them what's going on... they said they can't help and that I have to wait 15 business days.

Less than 5 minutes later, I get an email saying it's approved.

best of luck! it's worth the wait :):luck:

I FINALLY got approved today... not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I called to ask them what's going on... they said they can't help and that I have to wait 15 business days.

Less than 5 minutes later, I get an email saying it's approved.

best of luck! it's worth the wait :):luck:

Wh00t! I finally got approved today!

Good luck to both of us! :D