Official 2012-2013 Endocrinology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! Anyone applying for an endo fellowship this yr? How competitive is it?:cool:

I am applying also. It is quite competitive (not that many spots, a lot of people applying). About 40% of people applying end up not getting it, so it's up there with cardio and GI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone applied to Emory? Do you know if they require 3 or 4 recommendation letters? The website says 3, but Freida says 4? Thanks

I am applying also. It is quite competitive (not that many spots, a lot of people applying). About 40% of people applying end up not getting it, so it's up there with cardio and GI.

Really??? Is that a more recent finding? 40% not matching seems so high!

I will be applying for endocrine this cycle, as well, so hi hi! :)

What areas are you guys applying in?

I got the 40% by looking at the last match table numbers. Also that means that 60% do get it, so odds are in favor. :)
Good luck.

Hi guys

Submitted my application last evening. Good luck to all :)

So I know this is only day 2 (3?) of applications being accessible to programs.....but does anyone have any invites yet?

Are we going to keep a running list like I have seen prior applicant years keep?

Application submitted. Waiting for the programs to respond is difficult

Invites from:
University of Wisconsin Madison
University of Nebraska

Members don't see this ad :)
still working on my Personal Statement, Am i too late to apply????PLEASE someone let me know

Last edited:
Hello anyoneeeee?

SRSLY? You couldn't even wait 40 minutes in the middle of a workday to have somebody answer your (kind of dumb) question?

No, you're not too late. Late...definitely...but if you submit tonight, you should be OK.

Tomorrow will absolutely be too late.

rejection from BIDMC.
invitation from Univ of florida, jacksonville

Ugh! I haven't heard anything yet.. Not even from univ of florida, jacksonville!:(

Ugh! I haven't heard anything yet.. Not even from univ of florida, jacksonville!:(
Don't worry, I have not heard from anybody either. 85% of my applications have been downloaded but no responses yet. Any practicing physicians applying this year. If yes how many years out of residency?

interview from university of nebraska medical center

No interviews and no rejections so far. I am not sure what to think about that.............................I guess no news is Good (Bad) news??

Have applied to 10 programs... small number but I'm geographically limited. Heard from UVA and MCV and have scheduled from visits :rolleyes:. Waiting to hear from Yale, U of Maryland GW, Georgetown, NIH, EVMS, UNC, Duke :xf: travelling North to South. Anyone hear from any of these programs yet?

No Interview But A Letter from Harbor-UCLA that my file has been waitlisted...fingers crossed!!!!!

I got the wait list from harbor ucla too. and a few messages notifying they will start reviewing applications in the next 1-2 weeks

Last edited:
What a boring day ! Not even a rejection :p

Seriously, do fellowships just reject you in November? Why the long wait for a response? I know our applications are long but seriously its been 15 days. Aaack! Has anyone heard from east coast fellowships other than Harvard? :confused: :idea:

NOT MINE - summary of inv/rej to date

Invites from:
University of Nebraska
Univ of florida, jacksonville

Reject from
BIDMC
Rejection Cedar Sinai
UCLA - Harbor

Tired of waiting.. i think all invitations will be send out by 2nd week of august...
I heard harbor ucla already send out invitations. I dont know whats the point of being on waiting list then??
kansas univ hasnt downloaded my application yet. I dunno what are they doing? maybe they gave their positions to their own residents via prematch !!!!

Think we r all a little anxious waiting for invites to come. Other than Kansas one of the suny programs also has not downloaded yet, neither did Rosalind Franklin. Maybe they took their own this year

Last edited:
Neither did U South Florida !

Asses! Pay me back my application cost at least.

And, yes..they all look at it in the 2nd week of August and call us also in the same 2nd week of September :( Poor us !

True.
Suny stony brook, kansas univ and univ of south florida.
All these prog are known for taking their own residents.
yes, give us our money back if they dont want to download even our applications !!!!

Neither did U South Florida !

Asses! Pay me back my application cost at least.

And, yes..they all look at it in the 2nd week of August and call us also in the same 2nd week of September :( Poor us !

1. What evidence do you have that they aren't planning to d/l apps later? My former program will download next week and review the 2nd week of August.

2. Programs don't get any of the money you pay to ERAS.

3. Holy F*****g Hell! You all need to relax.

Agree ! But the programs can help by not enrolling for ERAS if they have an internal candidate in mind and there is mutual interest :)

Of course, I am showing a lil bit of my impatience and anxiety here but, we do have a very short cycle this year with limited time window to attend multiple interviews. September could either get too busy or too dull and depressing !

*taking my lorazepam for now* :)

1. What evidence do you have that they aren't planning to d/l apps later? My former program will download next week and review the 2nd week of August.

2. Programs don't get any of the money you pay to ERAS.

3. Holy F*****g Hell! You all need to relax.

seems to me you're the one that need to take a chill pill...people are anxious and stressed...let them vent for heaven's sake.

you don't remember what it was like to hit the submit button and then wait...and wait....and have no control now?

Duke sent out invites today. :thumbup: Anyone hear from NIH, Maryland or Yale?

Hopefully the programs will start sending out the invitations soon in August. It is difficult to arrange the trip for interview in a short notice. I was very worried initially coz I didnt get many invitations but seems like not so many programs has taken actions.

Did university of florida download all the application? I applied late so they havent downloaded mine yet. I saw somebody got invitations from there already.

NOT MINE - summary of inv/rej to date

Invites from:
University of Nebraska

Reject from
BIDMC
Rejection Cedar Sinai
UCLA - Harbor

Stupid questions...What is BIDMC stand for? Not sure If I apply. Thanks!

If I remember correctly uf did not participate in the match this year i think they were grey when i was picking programs to apply to

bidmc= Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

Invites from:
University of Nebraska
Duke

Reject from
BIDMC
Cedar Sinai
UCLA - Harbor

Some programs send out interviews only and no rejections.. So no interview invitation = rejection?? I didnt get rejection or interview from Duke. So i guess I am rejected then

Hello guys,
I am new to this forum. I have applied to endocrine fellowship.. No IVs yet.
Is it too slow this year? My friends who applied to ID and nephro got couple of IVs already..
Any news today?

i sure hope no interview does not mean rejection. I think the consensus has been allow another 1-2 weeks before worrying more. with the new application cycle we dont know what to expect, and compared to pulm critical/renal/heme onc our board has been relatively slow in terms of invites.

Reading the board from last cycle ('10-'11 application year) endocrine, it was also longer for applicants to receive news than other subspecialties. So I don't think it is cause for worry just yet :) And as others have said, it is a new timeline this year so we don't know what to expect.

Just judging from most invites, I think we'd have to get well into August before worrying.

Also all new residents/fellows start in July so it is possible some programs have been wrapped up in training newbees and are just now starting to think about applications for this coming year.

True..
Seems like endocrine is very slow. My friends who applied to ID got 7 invitations so far and the one who applied to nephro got 10. Other than that they are also very slow.. only 0-3 invitations so far. Keep our hopes up!

I hope endocrine is slow.. I do not have any friends who applied to endocrinology.. But guys keep posting IVs and rejections so that we will get idea what to expect...

I haven't heard from Cedars or UCLA Harbor yet... was surprised to see people have gotten rejections already. I think I expected programs to just not contact people if they didn't get an interview. Or at least wait until later in the season (ie September or October) before they sent rejection emails.

I've gotten interviews from 2 places -
UC Denver
UCSD

No other news.

I'm surprised people are so panicked after the application has only been open for 2 weeks. Some programs have yet to download all my materials (some of my LOR were submitted only this past week). I think it's premature to worry so much. Based on the SDN responses here, interviews and rejections are coming pretty slowly.

No worries, guys!

Also, I think the 40% not matching may be skewed because of foreign medical grads??? I thought endo fellowships were pretty achievable.

first congrats on the interviews.
second your are correct on the match being skewed its actually ~85% for american allopaths, ~70% for DOs and I cant remember for IMG i think 50% when looking at last years nrmp match pdf

group inv/rej
Invites from:
University of Nebraska
Duke
UC Denver
UCSD

Reject from
BIDMC
Cedar Sinai
UCLA - Harbor