Official 2012-2013 GI fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Lets see if the trickling effect is widespread.

Hey, is it a good idea to formulate a list of programs with their number of spots vs. internal candidates. I think it would really help the external candidates in ranking!!

Thoughts?

@ imgi:

good idea, let me start with what I have heard or know.....

Drexel university, PA: 2 spots, 3 internals
Medical college of wisconsin, WI: 1 spot, 5 internal candidates (including one of their chief residents)
University of alabama, AL: 3 spots, 2 internals
University of arizona, AZ: 2 spots, 2 internals

from the looks of it, pretty slim chance of any external applicant at any of these places!

update or correct as needed!

I have accurate information only on one program, so I will add it and start a list. Also arranging alphabetically by state.

1) Universty of Alabama, AL = 3 spots, 2 internals
2) University of Arizona, AZ = 2 spots, 2 internals
3) UCSF Fresno, CA = 2 spots, 2 internals
4) Drexel University, PA = 2 spots, 3 internals
5) Medical College of Wisconsin, WI = 1 spot, 5 internal candidates (including one of their chief residents)

Can anyone from UCSF or interviewed at UCSF comment on the q 2 call (apparently q1 when co-fellow is on vacation :eek:)? I got the impression that that program is more service oriented than educational. What do others think?

Anybody get interviews from Montefiore in NYC?

Interview invites came out 2 weeks ago for Montefiore

Interview invites came out 2 weeks ago for Montefiore

Montefiore also sent out invites very very early on in the season. They interviewed my buddy in late August.

Can anyone from UCSF or interviewed at UCSF comment on the q 2 call (apparently q1 when co-fellow is on vacation :eek:)? I got the impression that that program is more service oriented than educational. What do others think?

I heard this as well. It seems like a malignant program and residents from UCSF that I met on the trail weer looking elsewhere for fellowship..

i have realized during my interview process how easy it is to go unmatched ....even if you have 7-10 IV .
Each program has 2 seats on average - They are interviewing 10 /spot on average. Even if they take 1 internal candidate means ..the rest are competing for the 1 seat ie 1: 19 ratio or in others 1:35 ratio. Off course as your IV increases ur chances of matching increases. I am scared ...

i have realized during my interview process how easy it is to go unmatched ....even if you have 7-10 IV .
Each program has 2 seats on average - They are interviewing 10 /spot on average. Even if they take 1 internal candidate means ..the rest are competing for the 1 seat ie 1: 19 ratio or in others 1:35 ratio. Off course as your IV increases ur chances of matching increases. I am scared ...

I can't emphasize enough to rank every program that you interview at, even if you've gone to 10 places. I cannot find the official stats anymore, but I do remember reading that 33% match #1, 8% match at #2, 8% match at #3, and the other 50% go down the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is going on with NYU? Saw that NYU hospital, the VA, and Bellevue were all evacuated and closed from the hurricane. Heard it may be weeks - months before the hospitals open and residents and fellows are going to other programs?

m

Last edited:
The situation at NYU is very temporary with the most affected hospital being the VA (will probably take the longest 2/2 federal issues, etc) however Tisch and Bellvue will be open much sooner. There are NYU satellites throughout nyc and plenty of local VA's (Bk, bronx, etc) that will fill in. The program is rock solid and very competitive and will only get better with the new chairman in place.

Need some insights regarding ranking order. I have heard that you rank them as you like them.If that is the truth then...
How would you decide that the program is also interested in you?
Is everyone getting feedbacks to their " Rank you highly" emails.
How would you pick your top three ?
I have also heard #1 has 33% to match. How would you pick the # 1?
Basically, its all mathematics .You have to be at the right spot, at the right program to match.

Need some insights regarding ranking order. I have heard that you rank them as you like them.If that is the truth then...
Basically, its all mathematics .You have to be at the right spot, at the right program to match.

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/algorithms.html

You should rank the programs on where you want to go, NOT by your likelihood of matching there.

I think applicants should just tell their program who is their #1 choice and should refrain from sending the "rank you highly" emails. Program directors get those all the time, and they do not put any weight on them. The "I'm going to rank you high" translates to "I am not ranking you #1". However, if you told them that you are ranking them #1, now that means something.

Furthermore, emails or any correspondence for thank you's, in my opinion, should be strictly to thank interviewers and program coordinators. They are a symbol of professional courtesy and should not be used otherwise, in my opinion.

To help you guys with ranking, let me tell you the advice I got from a well known gastroenterologist. How you should rank should depend on two things - (1) any limiting factors (eg, location, spouse) and (2) future career. Once you narrow the places down by the limiting factors, then your list has shrunk. For those that only want to do private practice, it generally does not matter where you go for fellowship. There are a plethora of private practice openings in every state, with the exception of NYC and California. I personally know fellows that have come out of very small community GI programs (1 spot per year) that got their dream jobs in Chicago, Florida, Texas, NJ, etc. Keep in mind that private practice will give you more preference if you have ERCP experience. Therefore, finding a place to get certified in ERCP in 3 years rather than 4 years (alternatively, a place that offers a 4th year) may be important in the ranking. If you want to do academics, a mixture of academics / private practice, or are not sure, I would rank the university programs before the community ones. We all hear you guys (myself included) takling about how hard it is to get interviews. That feeling isn't going to change in 3 years when you try to get the best academic job you can. People coming from the top GI programs like Mt Sinai will generally be preferred over people coming from smaller university programs.

Rank everywhere you interviewed at, unless that program or your interview was a disaster. If you analyze the Match algorithm (which I did), keeping more programs on your list is beneficial for you in more ways than the obvious.

Truly appreciate your responses. Good luck to everyone.

OMG, had a freak moment and. Changed my rank list in the last few minuets before it closed (really bad, I know).

Anyways, good luck everybody!!! Hope everybody get's good news in 3 weeks!!!!!

That was a stressful ride and it's ALMOST over! Good luck everyone! I hope we all get good news on December 5th :)

Yes! Out of our hands. Relax, enjoy the next few weeks.

Do programs find out who matched with them the day prior or is that just for residency?

Good luck everybody !! Let's all post our status tomorrow for a learning experience .No matter what happens , we are still very successful in our own ways.Keep us posted.

Hello everyone....hope all of you matched to your dream program. Please sharge your credentials and where you matched to give us an idea for the future applicants as to what to be done to get into a competitive fellowship like GI:))) awaiting for your resposes.:)

research and letters of recommendations... not sure about everyone else's experience. if your home program wants you (and they write it in your letter), it seems that other programs will be interested in you as well

I matched and this is my experience:

1. Research (if you have a decent amount and US grad (5+ abstracts, a publication) you will get interviews.
2. Pedigree of your residency program (even if you are competitive they will stay take someone from a program that has a name and reputation above you as this is a way they can advertise to future applicants the competitiveness of their program)
3. Letters of recommendation (get them from the biggest names you can if they will write you a solid letter, academic GI is a small world and if they have a friendship with your letter writer you will have a very good chance of getting an interview there)
4. US grad
5. Step Scores

Matching into GI fellowship is incredibly tough and good applicants routinely don't match. Don't be discouraged. Find a mentor who will help you start on research projects and hopefully publish them. Matching is all a game for the applicant and the fellowship programs so make sure you have what they want on the checklist and you are likely to get a good amount of interviews (usually regionally). If you want more details feel free to PM me.

1.Good LORs
2. Extensive research experience
3. Luck

Rest are all secondary to me.

Hi -

I just matched for GI starting July 2013 in Texas, but am looking to swap with anyone for any position in California due to family reasons. Would also possibly consider anything close to or in Chicago or Michigan.

Please send me a personal message if you think you can help or may be interested!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Matched (IMG on visa).

My thoughts on why it happened were:
1. Not just research experience but output ---> Publications (original articles), not just abstracts (DDW >>ACG per my chief), if trying to get into nationally ranked training programs, first author is important if in lower impact factor ones, otherwise if higher, 2 or 3rd positions work for higher impact factor journals.
2. Good LORs, emphasizing as someone said in a post above, that you are being considered for your own program. (Had only 1 gastroenterologist letter, so don't think that matters)
3. Mentor/s making calls/emails (get your cv in order) to your top 10 programs you really want to get an interview from as soon as the applications are downloaded.
4. Reinforcing calls from mentor/section chief after interviews to key faculty they know.

Smaller stuff: Goals in PS matching what one says every time/every place in interview trail, mock interviews with mentor/chief/IM program director.

Any other insight/queries, feel free to pm me anytime, glad to help others.

Thank you! It's very inspiring!

Matched (IMG on visa).

My thoughts on why it happened were:
1. Not just research experience but output ---> Publications (original articles), not just abstracts (DDW >>ACG per my chief), if trying to get into nationally ranked training programs, first author is important if in lower impact factor ones, otherwise if higher, 2 or 3rd positions work for higher impact factor journals.
2. Good LORs, emphasizing as someone said in a post above, that you are being considered for your own program. (Had only 1 gastroenterologist letter, so don't think that matters)
3. Mentor/s making calls/emails (get your cv in order) to your top 10 programs you really want to get an interview from as soon as the applications are downloaded.
4. Reinforcing calls from mentor/section chief after interviews to key faculty they know.

Smaller stuff: Goals in PS matching what one says every time/every place in interview trail, mock interviews with mentor/chief/IM program director.

Any other insight/queries, feel free to pm me anytime, glad to help others.

Just like what we have learned from the forum for USMLE, helping each other is extremely important for every step. Sharing your experience -- the credential, the IVs, your impression for the programs and the city... will not only be greatly appreciated by the future applicants, but also contribute the improving of programs to attract better candidates :)

:)

Congrats to everybody that matched. I'm so happy!

DO, residency training at university-affiliated community program, matched to large university program for GI. Only 61% of applicants matched successfully into GI this year. Here are my thoughts on how to give yourself the best chance.

Most important factors in no particular order....
-Where you did your residency. I was on several interviews where the rest of the applicants that day were from large, very well known, top-notch programs. More than once, I had an interviewer make a comment that implied my CV was much more impressive than other applicants he/she had seen that day. Training at a prestigious place certainly can get you in many doors.
-HOW you performed during residency. Your PD letter is a vital piece of your application and if they say you were the best resident ever, this goes a long way.
-Research: I echo what IBDoutcomes said, although my CV couldn't shine his shoes. Original papers either as first author in any journal, or 2nd/3rd author in high impact journal is huge. Abstracts are good, the more the better (DDW > ACG). Know your work well. Although I wasn't grilled on it a lot, I definitely was accountable for results, methods etc.
-LORs are huge. Ask people who will praise you. Ask people who are well known and connected.
-Relationship with professional mentors. Find people who are well connected and get to know them somehow. Go to their clinics, write a book chapter with them. Do research with them. If they can advocate for you, this is HUGE. Most programs get over 300 applications for 2-4 spots. What makes your application stand out? A very positive phone call can certainly help. Follow up calls following interviews are also priceless.
-How well you interview. Be nice to EVERYONE...coordinators, fellows, janitors. It all comes back to the people making the decisions. I am a chief resident who sits on our residency match committee...trust me, everyone is watching. Be grateful, say thank you, offer to help clean up lunch. Do whatever you can to stand out as a good person, but don't go overboard.

Less, but still important
-Good grades, no academic hardship
-Board scores (much less important than residency). I had COMLEX scores only.
-Medical school
-Your interest in their program (some emphasize this more than others), interest in the region, career ambitions. In summary, are you a good fit for their program?

Hope this helps. If my qualifications sound similar to yours, PM me I would be glad to help.

Last edited:
Hi, Biliary Tree , Thank you so much for your post!

Last edited:
Posting credentials for adding to information for other:

- IMG
- Residency from small community program
- Worked post residency at a University as faculty
- 2 first author and 1 second author publications in GI journals
- ~15 published abstracts (~ 8 first author, rest misc author), mostly from DDW
- 5 interview calls
- Matched to #2 ROL choice, big name University program

Congrats to everyone who matched and best of luck for next match applicants!

Nice credential, Nice strategy!
Thanks for sharing with us!

- IMG
- 5 interview calls

- IMG
- 5 interview calls

Are you on a visa? for GI and if you're familiar, would you recommend doing residency on J1 or H1? will I need to be on a green card either way if I wanna be competitive for GI or is J1 okay?

@NoChanges

I was on Greencard by the time I applied.

I guess J1 would be better as H1 has less probability of being sponsored by a fellowship prograM.

Hope this helps!