Official 2012-2013 GI fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
New York Medical College

@adog, is that your 50th IV? lol. You gotta be tired of IV's at this time. Let us know your cancellations so we can call and flirt for IV's...lol

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
last day of the week ,lets hope for some news ...the trickle is still on ...

Don't lose hope Drexel and UT southwestern just sent invites.

UIC and LIJ on Friday.

FYI: am not hoarding interviews, am cancelling a lot of them.

Rejected from lahey today

Anyone hear from umdnj Newark?

UIC and LIJ on Friday.

FYI: am not hoarding interviews, am cancelling a lot of them.

I don't know why people are getting on your case...you worked hard and you deserve whatever you get. If you got 50 interviews and could humanly possible go on those interviews, then go. I don't think you owe anyone an apology.

Members don't see this ad :)
rej form nebraska ..hope i match some were ...I still hopeful that with 3-4 IV we can match or not

there's no magic number of interview invites to guarantee a match. obviously, the more options, the larger sense of artifical confidence. i do know people with 10 invites that did not match. i also know one person with 3 invites that matched. the key to matching is not only ranking where you want to go, but ranking by which places liked you most.

I get the concept - but how would you know which place likes u the best ? They are going to say the same thing to every one ---ya we liked u ..please keep in touch ....

I would match places where I want to go to first, rather than places that you think matched you well. Because as you said, there is no way you can tell if someone liked you a lot.

Rejections pouring in - U of Virginia, Mayo Arizona, Mayo, Lankenau, Giesinger

they are interviewing 40 people for 2 seats ..man ie intense - I must say

Hi all,

This is a long shot I'm sure, but I'll give it a try. I was offered an interview at St. Louis University on 10/12. I have a conflict that I absolutely cannot rearrange. Is anyone else interviewing a different day that would be willing to switch? Send a personal message if so.

Thanks.

Does anybody else have interviews at LIJ?

+ North Shore-LIJ in NY
Got offered for late October. anyone know how many dates they have?

Didn't hear squat from UT-Houston after they sent out that email saying they were going to make final decisions on applications. That was supposed to be completed by last week.

Anyone hear from UMDNJ in Newark NJ?

Could anyone please post the questions in general that are usually asked during an interview- goals, strengths, weaknesses, CV etc..? What does an interviewer look for during the interview? Thanks.

Could anyone please post the questions in general that are usually asked during an interview- goals, strengths, weaknesses, CV etc..? What does an interviewer look for during the interview? Thanks.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Why GI?
3. Why do you want to come _____?
4. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
5. I see your research is in ________, is that something you want to pursue here?

I think they're there to see if you can effectively communicate with them and show them why you're the best candidate for their position.

1. "How did you get interested in GI?" This is almost universal and I feel like I have told the story 20 times already.

2. "Do you have any questions for me?" Make sure you have questions and that they are thoughtful.

3. "Tell me about yourself, start from the beginning." Got this one yesterday.

4. "Do you have any specific interests in GI?" (IBD, general, motility, liver, advanced endo etc)

5. "What are your career plans after fellowship?" This is also almost universal

6. I am currently a chief resident so I've fielded questions about that a lot (ie why did you want to do a chief year?)

7. Very little grilling me on details of my research. That being said, you still need to know it.

Otherwise, they want to know that you are personable and that they won't hate working with you for 3 years. Be nice to everyone, especially the program coordinators. Do the little things, like offer to help if he/she is setting up a lunch by themselves and the candidates are sitting around talking. It's things like that which some candidates may overlook that can earn you some extra points by just being a good person.

Good luck all!

Friends,I have few questions about ranking.
How do you know if the program liked you or not?
Do most of the program reply to your Thankyou e-mail?
Is there anyway to find out where you stand in their ranking?
TY

You dont know for a fact how programs have ranked you, unless the program coordinator is a close friend of yours.
Some programs have sent me letters saying that they really liked me and would like to work with me in the future.
Everyone did respond to my thank you emails in some way or other.

Friends,I have few questions about ranking.
How do you know if the program liked you or not?
Do most of the program reply to your Thankyou e-mail?
Is there anyway to find out where you stand in their ranking?
TY
It is just a tiring game if you keep thinking whether they like you or not. I would go with my gut where I like the most. You can judge on how you did on your interview day and have some idea about program think about you.

2 IV's and PREMATCHED......yayyyyyy. Little Trick: Lied about having 12 invites and dropped names of some top 10 institutions. Risky but panned out.

2 IV's and PREMATCHED......yayyyyyy. Little Trick: Lied about having 12 invites and dropped names of some top 10 institutions. Risky but panned out.

i am not sure if we can get pre match in GI ..thought it was so competitive ...

Also if the PD does not respond to your thankyou email ,,is it bad ?
And what is the correct time to leave a Thank you email? Is 6 days too late ?

Pre matched? Do you mean a program offered you a spot outside of the match? If so, congrats!

Did you prematch at Drexel or Emory? Do they offer prematches? Just curious..!

quiet as a kitten.

I know it's a long shot but anyone interviewing at Lankenau on 10/18 willing to switch interview dates with me? I have mine scheduled on Thursday 10/25. Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks!

Has anyone received a late (unexpected) interview lately?! I know most people are going through interviews now and that some might have cancelled some of their interviews.

Has anyone received a late (unexpected) interview lately?! I know most people are going through interviews now and that some might have cancelled some of their interviews.

No, but I'm hoping I get at least one more. Keeping fingers crossed but I'm not optimistic.

Yes, I received an invitation yesterday.

Congrats, Arw. Invites stopped coming in weeks ago for me. Have a couple of interviews left this month. This was a very disappointing application cycle for me. Hopefully, I'll be able to post some good news December 5th.

Good luck everybody!!!

Some programs are still sending out invites:D